Dr Hasson or Dr Ron Shapiro for hairline repair and density

NAS007

I had a bad hair transplant of 2000 single grafts with a local doctor claiming to be an ISHRS active member. But the results were poor and hair were spaced fom each other badly. But no pluggy look thankfully. Im planning to fix my hairline and bring me the denisty to it cause i believe its the most important feature in a human face especially when it comes to photograph.

In my opinion I believed strongly that Hasson and Wong were the perfect for this due their amazing before and after videos and big support of Mr. Joe whom able to answer any question clearly but they are very far from the middle east (vancouver) and relatively the highest in prices comparing to Shapiro espcially the killing canadian tax of 12%, However Dr. Hasson is better in hairline denisty cause he can go up to 60 hairs per cm2.

In the other hand Dr.Ron shapiro is more experienced and recognized worldwide with a great patient educator but beleives in lower density up to 40 hairs per cm2 with not recognizig the lateral slits technique fully. Although he has very good price for international patients of only $4.5 up to 2000 grafts and only $2 for anything above it.

I dont want any political answer...Just need to know, who is your choice for a hairline repair and why? Thank you very much for this wonderful forum. You can call this a personal survey.

I traveled 16000 miles from India to have my surgery with Victor Hasson.I know the tax in Canada is killing but if you need excellent results i think you should go to Dr Victor Hasson.I paid that nasty tax too dude but if you want the best then you need to shell out some more dollars.See the results of both patients,compare & then decide.Both docs are excellent however.

There are two clarifications *I'd like to make here since there are several *"Between Which of These Two Dr's?" threads keep popping up. *

Above it states Shapiro Medical hairlines are 40 grafts per cm2 when in fact they are normally 45-55 per cm2. *it may get slightly higher if all criteria are met. *It's not that our doctors or staff lack the skill for higher densities but its more of the risk involved for poor growth or it may not be appropriate' There are studies regarding densities of hairlines for optimal growth and look of naturalness and 45-55 per cm2 seems to produce great results consistently. Time and time again it's the "strike outs" you avoid. I've personally spoken to patients who "struck out" when their doctors dense packed somewhere around 70 per cm2 and they ended up with something closer to 10 per cm2. *

The other clarification is the pricing. *Our normal price is $5 per graft for first 2000 grafts and $2.50 thereafter. *To offset travel expenses for our patients, the $5 per graft fee drops to $4.50. *The $2.50 fee remains the same. * *

thanks for clarifying that, Janna. I have a question for you. you state that there is a risk involved for poor growth at higher densities. Could you expand on this a little? I recall reading something about the risk of blood supply not being sufficient to support overly dense-packed areas. Is that what you're referring to? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Good answer here Jana... So you means clinics like H&W and Rahal, which are very famous in dense packing which they called it aggressive approach of maximizing the end results up to 60 hairs /cm2 .. is a no good approach because it would affect on the growth.. scientifically you are proven somehow, but then how come their before and after photos and videos shows opposite to that, the results are excellent and superb??? while with shapiro medical its all right but not so impressive which leads the patient to save but to visit again in a year or two..... ? pls educate us more Jana.

Hi Receder,

Our concern is just what you mention with the blood supply. I've spoken to one too many patients who end up needing repair work or another session when their original doctor's dense packing didn't work out as planned.

Antoniov,

I'm not so aware of H&W being famous for "dense packing" as much as their "mega sessions". From the pictures they present, they routinely show the mega sessions addressing large area of the scalp. So when you breakdown the total session size down to the square cm covered, the numbers don't indicate "dense packing". Just my observation....... As far as "dense packing up to 60 per cm2" isn't far off 45-55 range I stated.

I'm not downplaying many great results of H&W or Dr Rahal or any other clinic, for that matter. However, if you put forth to any clinic the question, "can you say every single patient of yours experienced optimal expected yield/growth?". The answer, i suspect, will be NO. The next logical question would be WHY NOT? If you pose that question to SMG, we would come back with a NO as well, especially in the last few years with the additions of dense packing and mega sessions. Perhaps its because of our doctor's cautious approach that the NO refers to a very small number of patients. However, if you're among the few who are in the NO category, thats 100% for that individual who ended up with poor growth and that's not acceptable for us. The density you plant on one individual who gets great results is not necessarily optimal on the next individual. We don't have a crystal ball so that's the reason for the cautious approach since donor supply is limited. You'd be hard pressed to find another physician/clinic who are more proactive in learning and sharing so that we can emphatically answer with a YES! to the question above.

Edited by Janna

Very reasonable answer Jana especially when you stated 'I've spoken to one too many patients who end up needing repair work or another session when their original doctor's dense packing didn't work out as planned ', that draw attention to me to be cautious indeed. This industry is very hard to investigate.

.. I wished if Jotronic from Hasson and Wong could contribute to this thread.. as their approach is the opposite way of shapiro... So we get more educated...

Its getting interesting here

I think you say this because you believe you are finally getting what you want. You want SMG and H&W to "duke it out" online.

All,

I have received several phone calls over the past three weeks asking about the differences between us and SMG. Each caller had 2000 grafts with a clinic in the Gulf states region of the Middle East, usually Dubai. Each was in need of hair line repair. Each asked about the densities of our clinic at "60 grafts per cm2" and SMG at "40 grafts per cm2." Each asked me (or someone in our clinic) why we don't talk bad about SMG when they talk bad about us. They each asked us for anything negative we could share about SMG because it only made sense since, according to the callers, SMG was saying negatives about us. One of these callers said the same thing about Dr. Rahal's clinic and again was perplexed why I would not say anything negative about Dr. Rahal in return. Each caller appeared frustrated by my position. In each instance I told each caller to utilize our massive HD video and photo galleries to decide for themselves. One of the callers, from Italy, asked me who he should go to in the U.S. since he cannot get a Visa into Canada. The first problem with this is that Italians do not need a Visa to get into Canada. The second problem is that when I spoke to him in Italian he only responded in English, nervously, with "Oh, you speaka Italian, haha." and then he suddenly had to go and promptly hung up.

I have spoken to Dr. Rahal and to Matt Zupan from SMG to alert them that these individuals were playing us against each other and are most likely the same person. If not the same person then they are working together but two of them showed up on my phone with the same international exchange # yet supposedly were from different continents. Regardless, each of these callers received answers to their questions but apparently because I did not sling any mud so to speak they are now trying to stir the pot by asking if Dr. Hasson or Dr. Shapiro are "better" than the other and if Dr. Rahal or Dr. Shapiro are better than the other (separate thread) with the hopes of a public battle. This will not happen on my end and surgery with Hasson & Wong will not happen for you.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

It is really sad that some people take this approach. Both SMG and H&W are best in class. Why in the world would someone send the time to do something like this? It is as if they have nothing better to do with their time.

Wooo.. I never thought that this thread will make this a kinda of a war.. Sorry guys.. I was just trying to learn from other members about their opinion peacefully.. Easy Mr. Joe but i have no idea whats happening with you and these people. they must be losers...Hasson and wong and Dr. Shapiro are the best in this industry. With no question, also Dr. Rahal which i dont know very well. However...H&W and Shapiro are same humans but with different techniques and philosophy in hair transplant, thats what i wanted to know aboutm not the individuals personally. So lets make it a peaceful thread everybody.

Mamma Mia, I strongly disagree with you NAS007. You dont owe anyone an apology. You are doing your homework before chosing the right surgeon. How many people before you posted, hasson vs wong, paul shapiro vs wong..etc. Check the previous threads, you are not the only one, some posters even used bad languages and insults i recall. Remember this is not a commercial website, its a social network created by and for PATIENTS. We are just talking very formally about the dense packing theory and approach just like others speak of scars and slits techniques with full respect. Just ignore him. Instead of justifying his techniques and opposite theory, he goes whining, However after their appoaches and their replies like jana's wonderful contribution. I think its crystal clear for you who to go with.

Thats my last contribution in this thread, I will leave this thread to the others. Thanks for hairrestorationnetwork.com to provide us a great forum like that. Thanks to Janna and Receder for bringing nice topics and education. Good luck.

Edited by ANTONIOV

Nas007 aka Antoniov,

Are you suffering from multiple personality disorder? Perhaps you'd like to offer the community a viable explanation as to why the two of you share the same IP address.

I agree with JoTronic. Your accounts appear to have been created to stir controversy for the sole purpose of downplaying Hasson and Wong's philosophy and results.

The bottom line is, both Hasson and Wong and Shapiro Medical Group produce stellar results. I feel confident that patients who choose either clinic will achieve excellent results.

Until you can provide valid proof that you two aren't the same person using two distinct accounts privately via email, I have suspended your accounts. My email address is help@hairtransplantnetwork.com.

Regards,

Bill

What Joe has said is correct!!!!

We have discussed this and will continue to correspond with regard to patients that bid us against each other. Patients who assume we resent each other’s clinic, we do not, we all know each other and are aware we are all able to satisfy our patients on a very consist basis. There should be plenty of data for anyone researching, that they can pretty much go with anyone of the three clinics and feel their goals should be met, if realistic. In addition to many others in the profession. There is very mediocre work being done in our industry and there has always been, one needs to research and find clinics that possess the skill, technique, and strong quality control, once you have, you have found the “best”. There are many that do this. There is approx. 900 hair transplant doctors in the industry, worldwide, one cannot believe there is not more than one clinic that is capable of creating awesome amazing work.

There are different approaches and overall philosophies which may or may not matter in the long run. Clinics can agree to disagree with various approaches and still make the majority of their patients tickled with the results. It is funny how so many patients that have had work by different doctors feel their doctor is the best. How could they be the best if the other doctor is the best. It is possible to have more than one "best", there are, in many industries. I believe SMG is one of the best, but I believe that H&W as well as Rahal are also, because they bring the right ingredients to the table that has consistently satisfied their patients.

The unfortunate thing is, patients that conduct their research in this manner may push some of the best clinics away from them, in that, some patients may be tagged as difficult.

I understand, however, research also for some becomes a mission consuming ones time and life; it is critical they make the right decision and rightfully so. One because it is a lot of money, two it deals with your appearance and three the stigma of bad transplants. I just spent three years researching custom frame road bikes, which at the end I feel I purchased the "BEST", but there are about 5 others that many believe are just as good.

Regards, Matt Zupan

Edited by Zup

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna

The second problem is that when I spoke to him in Italian he only responded in English

Sorry I missed this thread I was busy teaching Chinese at Harvard. ;)

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

reading this thread from the begining.. the author states the differences between H&W and SMG and even by reading what he states its obviouse that he lacks intuition in relation to how these dr's operate..

for example in regards to grafting a comparison is made about density??? density is an issue wich is resolved mostly at the time of the surgery and due to the individuals characteristics not a surgeons skills........ to a large degree??

they are both personly capable of achieving the same densitys the patient is often the deciding factor ie, donor density etc etc

and as we are all aware that smg and H&W are fantastic clinics i find the title of the post by the author and his tone very disrespectful to the other many great drs, such as feller,charles,alexander and lyndsey and cooley and feriduni etc etc etc etc etc

i had 3500 grafts with dr hasson at a density of 45 pcm2 so the generalistion that they specificaly choose to dense pack is wrong and a very poor assumption by the author and the assumption that SMG do not dense pack is an equaly poor assumption....

the choice of dr is personal thing and the decision which dr is made up off many factors..... but in general any coalition dr will do a great job

each have diff strengths and weakness and its up to the patient to identify what he/she thinks they are and then to make an informed decision with out creating controversy and a bad taste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

:D

Edited by j1j9j85