Question regarding hair transplant surgery in califonia

Hello everyone

This is my first thread in this foroum. I live in Califonia as goes by the title. I want to go for consultation, but I do not know any good surgeons. I dont care how far up or down I have to travell within California as long as I find a good reliable and known surgeon here for consultation. Any recomendation. I just want the BEST of the bests. The one with best reputation and most number of happy and sattisfied patients. I don't care about the wait time or the price I just want the best surgeon I could find in california...

I have alot of questions in my head. As goes by my username the pattern of my baldness is pretty much the same as Al bundy. I have heavy hair loss in the front of my forehead and thining in the vertex. Im 31 years old by the way....

I really appreciate all advice and suggestions

If you want the "best of the best" why limit yourself to looking only in California?

I guess you are right, but California is the biggest state in US (population wise), I asseumed there should be atleast a couple of well known names out here.

Also many celebreties live out here and they live on their looks so I thought if there is a good enough Doctor for them here there should be one for me;)

But if you know someone that has such an incredible reputation that it would be worth travelling to another state/country for please let me know.

Thanks for the link, but I had seen that before, and you see I don't know how reliable those names are, I don't know if they paid to get on that page, and also their resume, to be honest with you, none of them have got their specialty from a MAJOR medical school.

Now Im not saying that someone that graduates form a major school is necessary a better doctor, or that they know things that no other doctor knows, but it does show me that they must have been way above an average medical student when they got into specialty program... and again Im looking for a doctor that is way above other doctors....

Thanks for the link, but I had seen that before, and you see I don't know how reliable those names are, I don't know if they paid to get on that page, and also their resume, to be honest with you, none of them have got their specialty from a MAJOR medical school.

While there is a fee for a physician to be on that list, they are scrutinized VERY well by the administrators and patients of this site. You CAN'T go wrong from that list.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Now Im not saying that someone that graduates form a major school is necessary a better doctor, or that they know things that no other doctor knows, but it does show me that they must have been way above an average medical student when they got into specialty program... and again Im looking for a doctor that is way above other doctors....

Allbundy,

I think there are some misconceptions in this post. First, 'obtaining their specialty' from a major medical school doesn't really make much sense. Medical education works as such: undergraduate education to medical school to internship/residency/fellowship. The last portion of the education is where certain doctor's specialize. This has nothing to do with medical school. Granted, many residency programs are associated with university medical centers, but it's difficult to judge the strength of a program based on the name alone. Frankly, I would highly suggest against this. Furthermore, I assure you that medical education in the United States is highly regulated and unified. Doctors take large, standardized tests to assure this.

Additionally, skill in a medical art is rarely defined by where one receives their education. Most physicians do gain quite a bit of knowledge from their medical training, but truly perfect their craft via repetition, practice, and experience. The only way to get to this level is to perform the procedures, diagnoses, surgeries, etc, time and time again.

Lastly, I can assure you that the physicians we recommend on this site have been thoroughly reviewed and are excellent, ethical, talented hair transplant surgeons. Personally, I would highly consider reviewing our recommended hair transplant surgeons.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I wanted to respond to your post because it truly sounds like you are looking for the type of Doctor I found. I went to Dr. Alexander in Scottsdale, Arizona and couldn't of had a better experience. I have been nothing but happy with my experience with Dr. Alexander. I just recently received 2,000 grafts and I am healing well because I went to the proper Doctor for this procedure. I researched for a long time about which Doctor I should go to and I am happy I did because I have had nothing but a great experience with Dr. Alexander. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them for you regarding why I chose Dr. Alexander for such an important procedure.

It is a common misconception that Calif. should have the "Best" doctors...there are certainly fine doctors in Calif., no doubt, but the "Best" doctors are those who embrace transparency in ALL facets of their practice, while continually performing world-class work.

Dr. Alexander is an excellent start, I would also recommend Hasson and Wong, whom Joe works for, as they are just north of you in Canada.

If you are looking for FUE work close by, I would recommend Dr. Harris.

Do some research, look at photos, talk to some vets on the forum here.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Al, I also went to Dr. Alexander in Phoenix & my opinion may be biased because I am a big fan of Dr. Alexander. That being said, I am very happy with my experience with Dr. Alexander & his staff.

He does's give travel & lodging discounts.

I know there are many good surgeons in the HT network but I can only speak from my experience with Dr. Alaexander & I can highly recommend him.

Best of luck!

Atomic

If you don't care about the price then you could basically find any surgeon in california that could work on your scalp.

But I would research doctors with proven results only. Avoid any places that seem like they want to sell you something like a car salesman. Go for someone that explains everything ethically, and honestly tell you how much hair you have left as donor hair, your norwood pattern and so forth. There's so many doctors to choose from, it's just all down to what you want. Fue or Strip, how you want your hairline, conservative or framed face? so many things to consider

I am also in California and also sought a top doc. Initially I assumed that because of all the people getting plastic surgery in the state, that the doctors would be the best. After meeting with some and researching many others, I decided to go out of state for my HT.

My guess is that in California, there are so many patients/clients for each doctor, that there is not as much driving the surgeons to be “top quality”. I am sure there are exceptions to this, but, its a hunch.

On performing your search: do yourself a huge favor and do lots of reading on forums and meet with multiple doctors. You’ll see these comments often because they are so true.

Finally, I can list one California doctor that I personally would not recommend. Dr. Siporin in Beverly Hills / LA. I made one inquiry and they’ve contacted me far more than all others combined. They even contacted me after I very politely, yet clearly stated in writing that I’d decided to go with another doctor.

The more a HT doc advertises and uses “sell” tactics, the less I’d like to work with them.

ThisOlHead,

I'm quite surprised to hear you say this about Dr. Siporin. As you may or may not know, Dr. Siporin is recommended by our hair transplant community and frequently posts examples of high quality work. I'm unsure why the clinic contacted you multiple times, but I highly doubt Dr. Siporin's clinic would feel the need to rely on some of the unflattering "sales tactics" you described.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I was surprised as well. To me, the best advertising any doc can do is to do great work, and the word will get around.

Future,

You “highly doubt” what I stated? Frankly, your implying I’m lying is fairly insulting.

I was aware he is recommended. Thats how I found him in the first place. My comment had nothing to do with him as a surgeon; it was his clinics approach to sales.

Further, you can tell me all you want about medical concepts, but do not tell me how I should view a particular clinic. Simply, you do not have the experience. I have had strips taken, punch style donor, “line” grafts, minis, micros ... starting from not long after you were born. You have never gone under the knife, so you are not in a position to understand this, but a patient becomes far more discerning of clinics after they’ve been through the mill.

Edited by ThisOlHead

I saw this thread and I too live in California, in San Diego county. I agree with the other patients posting about Dr. Alexander. After the research I did, I took the short flight to Phoenix and had my procedure done with Dr. A. I flew back the next day. I could not be happier with my results. After my procedure, I've emailed with a few other Californians (and even a guy from Missouri) who have contacted me via this network and also ended up making their way out to Phoenix to see Dr. A.

So like the others have stated, don't restrict yourself to any boundaries when looking for the best surgeon for you. For me it was obviously Dr. A. Best of luck in your search!!

osidekid

Thisoldhead, very well said. You saw a red flag and stated it as such. Sometimes people don't like it when it's pointed out.

The forums are good for research but they tend be a bit conflicted with the clinics being the revenue generators for the owners.

The best information can be had by the vets that have been around this industry for 20-30 years and know exactly what is going on. If you are a forum reader do yourself a favor and try and contact these ht vets. Many of them have come and gone, but there are still a few around.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I wanted to make sure to comment because I fall into your same category as well. I'm from southern California, but decided on Dr. Scott Alexander in Arizona based on his past results. Talk about a life-changer! I had my procedure a year ago, and I absolutely love the transformation. You can check out my blog on his site...it's under roytom99 (not toytom...i typed it in wrong on this forum).

Just one more thing. One of my best buddies saw my results after he hadn't seen me for a year, and he was pretty impressed. Within a month or so of me visiting him, he made the trip down to Phoenix to have the procedure done as well. So far he's healed up nicely and couldn't say enough nice things about his experience.

So anyway, that's two accounts for you. Feel free to contact me anytime.