To the Really Depressed

First I would like to say that I have mild temporal recession and thinning...but nothing most people would notice unless they were gazing. On that down side if I ever do go bald bald, my head looks like a Shar Pei dog and it will be pretty unattractive (Cutis Verticus Gyrata). I would then consider a transplant or scalp surgery.

Back to my point, I want to reassure the guys on here that are really depressed that you are not alone, but you also do not have to be depressed. Shave your head, don't shave it, do whatever you want but you will always be you.

The good news is that women over say 30-35...a vast majority do not rule out bald guys and some even prefer them. My head is friggin jacked at I have swung very attractive women with my jacked up mellon even shaved (in the military).

I have read about a lot of young guys that are saying that their life is ruined over this....and no, it really is not. I am 31 and guess I am getting a little older and seen a lot of things and places and I can say that you only get 1 shot in this world...1 life...and 1 go around. Please do not let hair loss ruin your life.

I am taking fin, using nizoral 2 times a week and taking vitamins like biotin and zinc.....other then that...I am really working on being at peace with whatever happens as far as my hairloss is concerned....I tell my self....do what you can do to help your situation, but be happy. (I admitt sometimes I have to say that more often then others.)

I don't mean to preach but just wanted to say that it is ok to be you and you can swing chicks with hairloss....according to the ladies....the hottest dude at the hospital I work at is this bald guy (who happens to be my best friend) It took him a while to accept it but he now shaves his head and is happy....and all the ladies love him...there is hope....Keep your heads up guys

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I agree with this. The most attractive girl I went to college with is now dating a NW3, and the most attractive girl in my apartment building is dating a NW6 (though she is middle eastern and it seems that baldness is more common in middle eastern men and perhaps more accepted in ME culture). I could go on and on with examples like this.

Don't worry about baldness because of what others will think of you. Worry about baldness because of what you will think of yourself.

I agree with what you are saying but it is hard for some people more than others. The hair industry is a multi billion dollar industry. There is a reason for that. People really would do anything to try to retain, regrow, achieve a hair style that they once had or to thicken it up like some celebrity they admire.

For me it only started bothering when people brought it to my attention over and over and over again like it was the end of the world. Some people would stare at the scalp rather then my eyes in a conversation. I mean come on.

Then it got to a point it started making me look older then I am. Then the "looking older than you really are" comments start to affect a person. They wouldn't have any effect on you unless they are said over and over and over again and then you are like what's going on. You tend to remember who said what and when too. It's unbelievable but so many questions result from hair loss and I could keep going with this.

I mean some guys got it made with their head shaved, but it suits some more than others. Having hair and not having hair suits them, but some people need the hair since shaved heads might not suit them? Scars, burns, never had hair, starting losing hair and etc, hair is hair. I wouldn't do it but there are some people willing to use pubic hair to implant on the scalp. Many what say that is abnormal but for those who know the situation and what the hair loss sufferer goes through, might understand the situation.

I'll tell you something, there are people hesitant for surgeries and afraid to use medications to retain hair, but wait till they discover cloning and a pill to stop baldness forever. You will have every person with hair loss standing in line for the fix.

Some people do it to get noticed by the opposite sex, some do it for peace of mind other situations, work, etc., and I really think they should make hair loss a medical condition for insurance companies and not cosmetic. I mean some insurances do pay for breast implants as well for women? Even in the military, they would pay for a breast implant for women for cosmetic purposes. But they don't touch hair transplants. The amount of people depressed from hair loss, give them hair and you just treated depression or any other psychological problem. Obsessive toppikk rituals, taking hours to do hair due to thinning, missing classes due to a bad hair day, worrying about rain or wind, not wanting photos taken cuz you gotta look at it, wasting money and trying anything, drinking heavily due to depression. I mean you got so many things that can just branch off from hair loss, it's definitely a medical condition for a lot of people, where it may just be nothing for the few people that I have known.

But that was an awesome post, motivation is motivation, and this type of support helps calming the situation a bit. It was definitely worth reading and was definitely worth it to join this forum.

I agree....and a shaved head is not for me cause of my scalp condition...so I would probably personally trade less hair for a normal scalp....the go Jason Statham on their asses... :)

Anyway...I just really hate to hear "baldness has ruined my life"....My junk looks like an alien....but I would hate to think if I lost it all that hair loss has ruined my life...

I think to myself...if they mind....then they don't matter!

Not saying that I don't worry about it....but on that note...I am currently in the process of working on "inner peace"....for subjects just like this, no matter how one gets it...through religion or meditation or whatever....I think that it is going to be an important part of my life.... I am personally in the process of studing this subject and am considering a daily meditation routine...this is not just for hair loss, but for inner peace in all aspects of my life.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I agree with you, if they mind they don't matter and shouldn't matter, and if the meditation helps, let me know. I even considered yoga to calm the stress as some say it helps. Haven't done it yet, but reading up on it.

• 1 month later...
I agree with what you are saying but it is hard for some people more than others. The hair industry is a multi billion dollar industry. There is a reason for that. People really would do anything to try to retain, regrow, achieve a hair style that they once had or to thicken it up like some celebrity they admire.

For me it only started bothering when people brought it to my attention over and over and over again like it was the end of the world. Some people would stare at the scalp rather then my eyes in a conversation. I mean come on.

Then it got to a point it started making me look older then I am. Then the "looking older than you really are" comments start to affect a person. They wouldn't have any effect on you unless they are said over and over and over again and then you are like what's going on. You tend to remember who said what and when too. It's unbelievable but so many questions result from hair loss and I could keep going with this.

I mean some guys got it made with their head shaved, but it suits some more than others. Having hair and not having hair suits them, but some people need the hair since shaved heads might not suit them? Scars, burns, never had hair, starting losing hair and etc, hair is hair. I wouldn't do it but there are some people willing to use pubic hair to implant on the scalp. Many what say that is abnormal but for those who know the situation and what the hair loss sufferer goes through, might understand the situation.

I'll tell you something, there are people hesitant for surgeries and afraid to use medications to retain hair, but wait till they discover cloning and a pill to stop baldness forever. You will have every person with hair loss standing in line for the fix.

Some people do it to get noticed by the opposite sex, some do it for peace of mind other situations, work, etc., and I really think they should make hair loss a medical condition for insurance companies and not cosmetic. I mean some insurances do pay for breast implants as well for women? Even in the military, they would pay for a breast implant for women for cosmetic purposes. But they don't touch hair transplants. The amount of people depressed from hair loss, give them hair and you just treated depression or any other psychological problem. Obsessive toppikk rituals, taking hours to do hair due to thinning, missing classes due to a bad hair day, worrying about rain or wind, not wanting photos taken cuz you gotta look at it, wasting money and trying anything, drinking heavily due to depression. I mean you got so many things that can just branch off from hair loss, it's definitely a medical condition for a lot of people, where it may just be nothing for the few people that I have known.

But that was an awesome post, motivation is motivation, and this type of support helps calming the situation a bit. It was definitely worth reading and was definitely worth it to join this forum.

Sean, great post.

Very insightful.

I thought seriously about these same issues, why ISNT insurance covering some cosmetic procedures? Maybe because people think if it's not "life-threatening" that it's considered cosmetic. But "detrimental to mental health" should be considered life-threatening, for obvious reasons. I was considering going to a psychiatrist to somehow find a way to write it off as just that.

• 3 weeks later...

i totally agree with some of the posts above about baldness.....sometimes i see patients coming in for HT who are balding very elegantly...infact some heads look really great bald/shaved...etc and i think to myself why are they bothered...but then again i remember that everyone likes my smile but i hate it and went through having braces at the age of 32 while i was working as a general surgeon (before coming into HT)......so i guess it what bothers you...though some of you guys with a bald head....would recommend thinking twice about it and listening to honest feedback from family (friends dont always say it upfront)....HT is not like braces and the consequences (good & bad) are lifelong

what are the consequences from a GOOD ht? Besides possibly having to come in for touch ups?

View Spanker's Website

Sean, great post.

Very insightful.

I thought seriously about these same issues, why ISNT insurance covering some cosmetic procedures? Maybe because people think if it's not "life-threatening" that it's considered cosmetic. But "detrimental to mental health" should be considered life-threatening, for obvious reasons. I was considering going to a psychiatrist to somehow find a way to write it off as just that.

Exactly, and I agree, why isn't insurance covering it? They should if they allow certain other cosmetic procedures for depression then why not this? Detrimental to mental health indeed. Did you ever go and see if they can write it off as that? I doubt it though, they know in comparison to breast implants, this procedure costs a lot more. Companies these days are worried about their costs, and seeing that many men are bald/thinning, they see the price tag of such procedures as a threat. Maybe, a few people might be able to win and get it written off as a medical thing. Who knows?

From a woman's perspective, I think most bald guys look very cool and IMHO men who do the bald thing usually come off as confident, which is sexy. There are so many attractive men taking the bald option, that it's really become a very hip look. You can take a nerdy geek who was doing a bad comb-over, shave him, give him hip new glasses and it's like he stepped out of GQ! :)

But there's nothing cool we women can do - boo hoo.

Hi Mari

Dealing with hairloss is worse enough for guys..i cant even imagine how women would deal with going bald..you are rite when you say that men have the option of shaving it and still look cool if they can carry a good physique and dress well...but it is tough on women..i guess one option would be to wear hair systems but that would carry the fear of what happens if the other half comes to know about it..but atleast that could give you a jump start in the dating scenario!.i totally hear you and understand where you are coming from...may god give courage to all of us in dealing with this issue

Daniel, i definitely could not agree more. Its already that depressing for us guys to face hair loss problems and i cannot imagine ladies going through that. I have tried hair systems myself and trust me, no matter how people say it looks natural etc, deep down, i feel weird and even more depressed.

My heart goes to all women who face such problems. Brace up and be positive!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Hi wb 280

I am also considering wearing a hair system until i decide to go the HT route. Can you please give me some guidance where to start..i see that some of the systems really look natural these days and i think if it gives some confidence to get a start in the dating world, then why not use it and see how it goes..what hairsystem were you using and was it a do your own kit or you had a stylist looking out for you..

I would appreciate your response

I agree with you 110%.

The thing with me is that I just keep it movin'. The world isn't going to stop because I'm balding.

It's kinda like obese people... people who are fat don't go around saying, "OH GOD! I'M A DIGUSTING SLOB. PEOPLE ARE LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Some exercise. Some just keep it movin' and love every inch of their body. And some sit and sulk (like a lot of bald folk do).

It's all how you approach it.

I'm not saying my life since balding is easy - it's a struggle everday. But each day that struggle gets a little less. Just a little. And for that, I'm thankful.

• 3 months later...