Doctor Markou Hair and Scalp Clinic Florida

rodfl

Good morning

Rodfl, I hope that with another day of sharing with this forum, that you are getting the clarity you need and desire.

My hopes are not to inflame a situation that does not need additional fire. My attempt is solely to slow down the conversation, so that you can (as my late father would say) see the forest from the trees.

My comments in there entirity will only be addressed to you and no others as they are not involved.

Finally, I would be willing to speak to you as well if you like. Let me know and I will provide you a way to do so. G.C. Chambers

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

floridapa,

I think you need to read the tips from above again...if you even read them the first time.

1. Be honest and share your intentions with the community - that you work for a particular doctor/clinic and that you want people to see the quality work in which your doctor performs

Looks like you did at least the first half of this well, congratulations. However, to follow the forum rules, please add a disclaimner in your signature file

2. Share experiences and detailed before/progressive/after photos providing graft/hair counts. Pictures should be high resolution, from many angles, under similar lighting conditions, and with or without flash consistently (preferably without flash).

You've made blanket statements about "fantastic" results...where is the proof? Let's see some pictures - preferably on a NEW thread

3. Do NOT make general blanket statements - they hold no validity

Just as I said above...you've made several of these "fantastic results" and "meticulous care". If you follow tip 1 and share specific experiences, we'd be able to make the determination for ourselves of whether or not the care was mediculous and whether or not the results were fantastic. I'll say this again...blanket statements do NOT prove anything. Being in the medical field, you should know this.

4. Do NOT spend a LOT of time sharing your doctor's "credentials" nor attempt to defend a doctor this way. The proof is in the pudding. We want to see results from REAL patients

Ok, you've spent enough time sharing his credentials "he co-wrote a medically published paper on use of low level laser therapy and helped put it on the map..." Unfortunately, for you, most EDUCATED people of this forum after seeing the research do not agree that laser therapy has any benefit of fighting hair loss or regrowing hair. Do the research yourself outside of your clinic and you'll see why. Besides that...regardless of his credentials...many doctors have published articles and are part of organizations, yada yada yada...show us the results and the practice.

5. Do NOT discredit someone else's experience. The best way to show the good nature and integrity of a particular doctor is to offer the distressed patient your empathy and then attempt to do something about it if possible, whether free repair work or their money back.

As I've said...if he is a good doctor in your experience fine! But discrediting someone else only makes you look foolish. You CANNOT credit a doctor by discrediting someone else. Using words like "bashing" is irrelevant here. Who is "bashing" who? Rodfl shared his experience just as you requested...he is telling his experience. The only reason you call it "bashing" is because it's not in your clinic's favor. Sorry...that doesn't fly...everyone can see through this tactic. It doesn't work.

6. Become a part of this community and provide advice to people not directly relating with your doctor. You will earn RESPECT this way. (See JoTronic, Janna, or Spex for prime examples).

I strongly recommend that if you want anyone to give your posts credit that you either bail out of this thread and state you are sorry rodfl had a bad experience OR stick around and try to help rodfl through a difficult time neutrally. You will earn respect and credit that way. Look up any of the names I posted above to see how they present themselves.

Do you want to hear my experience on these matters? My formal education may not be in medicine...but I've been a patient 3 times and have been a member of this community for almost 3 years. My education on these matters extends far beyond the boundaries of one clinic. Additionally, I have done extensive research on current methods, techniques, and technologies regarding hair transplantation. I have studied the medications (and medical devices) that supposedly prevent hair loss and possibly regrow hair. My sole purpose of being here is to help others make informed decisions and educate them. I've been around long enough to see who knows their stuff, who is seeking, and who is faking it.

As I said openly...I will NOT bash Dr. Markou because I make decisions based on evidence. I will not allow one person's experience to discredit a doctor or a clinic in its entirety...HOWEVER, since the ONLY result I've seen is of rodfl, I'd say I have nothing to credit your doctor either. If you want to credit him, start a new thread and follow the advice I've posted above.

Bill

I am not an attorney (Yet!), but Hoping expressed exactly what I said when representatives of Dr. Markou's clinic attempted to threaten rodfl for his claim of unfavorable results and in the process violated his right to patient privacy.

Had Dr. Markou simply stated that he was working with rodfl to resolve any issues everyone would have learned something and rodfl would be getting his scar revision paid for by Dr. Markou with a surgeon of rodfl's choice.

I do not need a medical degree to assess this situation, nor do many other members of this site.

I read all of the time, and I constantly read many of the papers or journals posted by various hair transplant docs--- does that make me an expert? No.

But it does is give me a real good idea about what a Doc is or more importantly is not doing.

Another amusing point is that most of the whom we consider to be the BEST docs, are open to dialogue, criticism of their work, open about their philosophies, practices and procedures, and above all else wish to educate their patients.

The response of Dr. Markou's representatives just serve to confirm the need for our Coalition, our forum, and additional forums on the net.

It is really the only way for us to gather and create a real, searchable data-base of patient experiences, so we can offer solid advice and information to prospective patients.

If you operate from the standpoint of "I am in the medical field and your not" you effectively display your attitude to those in non-medical professions and I think it shows how you will treat patients when they are unhappy your services.

The GREAT part about this is when a prospective patient searchs this data base for your clinic and reads this thread, the response of the damage controlling shills, the supercillious response of "those IN the medical profession" and the "support of the Chambers Institute" they can make an informed decision and a better choice.

True colors always surface.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Forum,

I am kind of overwhelmed by all of the replies this post has received---I do want to make one thing clear-- after several phone calls and face to face meetings with Dr Markou/Director of the clinic I was sent away with a bottle of Rogaine (which I still have)and told to return in 4-8 months for a follow up---three days later I visited Dr. Rose -he and his assistant of many years immediately gave me their professional opinion- I was experiencing hair loss/damage due to the incision being made too low on my head(below the bony prominece)--At No Time did HE BASH DR.Markou,Director,or staff of the Hair and scalp Laser clinic--He gave me his professional advice Doctor to Patient and advised me how he (if asked )would handle the revision work--He told me to revisit Dr Markou and ask him to help me out! I decided not to revisit Dr Markou's office--I had visited four previous times what would have changed? -I feel as if Dr Markou's office seems to be more concerned with what Doctor Rose and I discussed instead of the real issue---MY HEAD lol-----I made mistakes as well---I only met with the director prior to my surgery, I did not meet Dr. Markou before signing the permission form/waiver---I did not research and educate myself prior to the surgery---my bad, live and learn----I trusted the Director as I had been a patient of the clinic for many years---I was assured that Dr. Markou was as good or better than Dr.Riggs---But like i said before It was the educated, and published Doctor Markou who made the incision too low on my head--sorry to keep repeating myself-- and that this post is so jumbled together---trying to save space on the forum icon_smile.gif

The truth

R

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the scar situation:

This past week I met with Dr.Hasson of Vancouver--After meeting him and his incredible staff --He decided that he would not reccomend trying to repair the scar icon_frown.gif (Thank you very much Dr. Markou and The Hair and Scalp Clinic of Clearwater,Largo Florida ) I will not repeat his exact words lol lol --- Again if anything positive can come from this post--I repeat DO NOT let any Doctor make an incision on the lower portion of your head area.

rodfl,

I'm sorry to hear that he has recommended not to fix the scar, but I'm sure knowing Dr. Hasson, he has credible reasons to state this. Could you give us some specifics as to why he does not recommend it? What are the risk factors involved if a doctor did try to repair your scar?

Also, any chance of you posting some higher resolution pictures of the back of your head so we can see the scar more closely? Perhaps have someone close to you take the pictures.

We are here for you brother.

Bill

Bill,

After meeting with Dr.Rose I really did not have high expectations of what Dr.Hasson would tell me--I just figured I would go coast to coast and get the advice of two of the best Docs in the business : ) Dr Hasson had the same reservations as Dr. Rose---the incision was made too low and trying to repair it could cause more damage---and you were rite on concerning the redness and inflamation--It too was caused by the scar and Dr Hasson may be able to help me out with that issue . I wanted to visit Dr. Hasson for other possibilities that u and I have talked about before.

Also i will try and take some better pics for you guys to see---Maybe there is someone out there that can give me more info on scar revision that I am not aware of??? But from what I understand I have met with two of the best in the business and got the same answer icon_frown.gif

Thanks for all of your help

R

• 5 years later...

This is interesting.. in a morbid way. I just happened to find this site by doing a search on transplants.

I went through Markou' and his pal John's lame procedure a few years ago.

John is the sales department and the guy who does all the talking.

I've seen every hair restoration scam out there and been through most of them, from Don Lee in New York 35 years ago, Dr. Underwood - the fake medico who mutilated people with the implant scam - to this latest smoke and mirrors BS with "lasers" at Clearwater Hair & Scalp.

Trust me. When these vampires talk about scalp, they have something entirely different in mind than treating your hair loss.

This place is standard operating scam procedure - real low-ball price on the grafts to sucker you in with the added sizzle of shooting holes in your head with a Laser Beam... Way cool eh? I mean, anytime a laser is involved it just has to be real Jetsons Hi-Tech stuff guaranteed to blow your mind.....right? Wrong. Very wrong.

Frankly, I would have gotten better results rubbing tree bark on my head because I could have taken a vacation with the money and relaxed instead of wasting my time and money with Markou and his con artist salesman's BS.

Of course, the pain and suffering I endured from yet another friggin hair restoration scam is the main damage.

These low-life bastards should be tarred, feathered and lynched while their victims use laser beams to cut their balls off.

Edited by thecenturion

Sorry to hear that.

There was a guy on here a couple of months ago posting youtube videos about his hair loss issues. I think his name was Bobby and he was keen on Dr Markou.

I really hope the guy didn't go with the laser scam.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 1 month later...

I was searching the net today and found this forum.

I'm located outside Buffalo NY and I'm 42 years old. My hair line has receded only in the front (and temples) and it's really not too bad but I want a nice thick hair line especially since I like longer hair on the top. I have no issues with the crown area at all.

My father is 68 years old and has had 4 procedures done; one locally and 3 with John Satino (Hair and Scalp Clinic). The first procedure done locally was very painful and took a while to heal, IIRC he had 1500 grafts in that procedure. Although the results were decent, he hated the experience.

So, he saw an ad for the Hair and Scalp clinic in a high-end car magazine I gave to him and after quite a bit of research he gave them a try. IIRC, he was already 60 years old or so when first going to John Satino. My dad is a great looking guy and his hair looks awesome - not like an 18 year old, but really dam good for a guy his age. It's apparent that the only hair left on top of his head is transplanted hair.

Long story short, he was totally, 100% satisfied with his experiences with John Satino and his team. My dad (like myself) is very hard to please and I can tell you his results were excellent. He has had 4 cuts to his scalp and I can only find 2 scares, one from the local procedure that jumps out and I very, very light scare from one with John - the other 2 I can't find.

I've recently made an appointment to see John for my first procedure and I'm optimist of the results.

When I read this thread, I'll be honest, it's scared me a bit but I have firsthand experience with a good story, my dad's. Like all experts, sometimes things don't work out for many reasons and I'm sure every doctor has good and bad cases.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I had my procedure this Friday, 11/16/2012 by Dr. Markou and John Satino. My experiences thus far have been nothing short of outstanding. John is a terrific guy and the customer service he provides is second to none. He picked me up from the airport and provide me first hand, first class service the entire time of my three day stay. I am a mechanical engineer and own my business and can tell you that I treat my customers the same and like the same in return but almost never receive that level of personal service. They answered all of my questions in depth and provided very good opinions and experience to fit my needs.

Dr. Markou was extremely nice, gentle and accommodating. He staff is wonderful! Very experienced and very pleasant. My procedure was very pleasant and comfortable - as comfortable as it could be, minimal discomfort.

Now I just need to be patient and wait for the hair to grow - after looking at what will be the new hair line - I'm very excited that the results will be great!

Thank you John Satino and Dr. Markou and staff for treating me so well!

See attached photos. Note: John used some hair fibers on me the next day so I could fly home with no need to wear a hat. The yellow you see in that picture is the fibers, not any skin issue.

Day-of-procedure-1-hour-after.jpg.d74768ce5a04c087fff10ee457cea68a.jpg

next-day.jpg.d5dcc9ae4e4fbd3875904b41e515e931.jpg

Next-day-with-touch-up-fibers-so-I-could-fly-home.jpg.565f15b39b3d3b9a16dc45fc810fa1a8.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hello All,

I had my procedure this Friday, 11/16/2012 by Dr. Markou and John Satino. My experiences thus far have been nothing short of outstanding. John is a terrific guy and the customer service he provides is second to none. He picked me up from the airport and provide me first hand, first class service the entire time of my three day stay. I am a mechanical engineer and own my business and can tell you that I treat my customers the same and like the same in return but almost never receive that level of personal service. They answered all of my questions in depth and provided very good opinions and experience to fit my needs.

Dr. Markou was extremely nice, gentle and accommodating. He staff is wonderful! Very experienced and very pleasant. My procedure was very pleasant and comfortable - as comfortable as it could be, minimal discomfort.

Now I just need to be patient and wait for the hair to grow - after looking at what will be the new hair line - I'm very excited that the results will be great!

Thank you John Satino and Dr. Markou and staff for treating me so well!

See attached photos. Note: John used some hair fibers on me the next day so I could fly home with no need to wear a hat. The yellow you see in that picture is the fibers, not any skin issue.

Thanks Mate,

Check's in the mail..

John

• 3 years later...

I had my surgery almost 3 years ago and still no growth.

I waited an entire year after the surgery and told them

and showed then it wasn't growing in. I was told

I needed to buy a 300 dollar laser comb. When I

was told before the surgery that the hair was guaranteed

to grow in. I kept arguing with them. I told them that the right thing

to do would be to do the procedure again. They refused to give me

my money back or do the procedure again.They wouldn't even

give me growth shots in the bald spots where no hair had grown in.

They said it would ruin the new hairs that had grown. There was no new

hair growth. None. It was comical but yet so stressful.

Finally I went to other Hair loss clinics. I sent them pictures and

was told that and they could do surgery in the same spot where the

Markou Medical Center had done it . When I told the office this

they told me at this point I could come in for a free consultation for a

new surgery. What of a waste of my time and money that I didn't have.

don't go there. I would try out two or three clinics before you decide. I wish I had

but their sales person at this center was very convincing and will tel you exactly what you want to here.

Very depressing and unsatisfying 2 years of my time and money I would like back.

Um yeah I hope you do have good results. I waited year and no hair grew in.

And then when it didn't they didn't do anything about. Even when I told them

they said their hair is guaranteed to grow in. They wouldn't give me a refund or

do the procedure again. I went to three other hair loss clinics with recent pictures who

told me they could do the surgery again in the same spot that the markou center did

their operation. I wish you luck and hope you have better results then mine.

one of the worst experiences in my life!! again avoid these quacks, and the hair and scalp clinic in clearwater, and largo, Fl. The Clinic manager is the equivalent of a used car salesman and will say whatever you want to hear. Im sorry that you had such a bad experience , my sole reason for the initial post was to warn people about these guys- too bad you didn't read this prior to the surgery.

Rod

• 1 year later...

LOL>. I got worked over by Markou and his Con Artist Salesman John about 5 years ago. They were selling the Laser Beam BS that supposedly was a shit-wow innovation in the hair restoration biz. The selling point was that it resulted in a "less detectable" result. To be honest: I guess there was a grain of truth in that claim... since any new hair growth whatsoever that ever resulted was completely undetectable. The bottom line: What's really undetectable is how this clown manages to hang onto his license to practice medicine... or stay out of jail for that matter.

I don't understand why people don't run away whenever someone mentions "laser" and "hair loss" in the same sentence. There is not one iota of evidence that a laser has ever caused someone to regrow lost hair. The only thing that has worked in clinical trials is Rogaine, and if you did a true, unbiased, double blind study, you would most likely find that less than half of those tested regrew anything. If you did the same study about lasers and hair growth, you would find no one regrew anything.