Updated Photos of NervousNelly

NervousNelly

Hi folica and NervousNelly thanks for answering my questions! Man I wish I can repay you guys somehow ... if you guys ever need help putting new hardwood floors let me know! I'm good at that icon_smile.gif

Hi Bill! How are are you doing? Thanks again for helping me out.

Anyways, I have some more questions if you don't mind. I've been flipping through some of the post-op pictures of other people. Why is it that some people develop yellow glands underneath their eyes post-op?

NervousNelly are you experiencing this with your post-op?

I mean take a look at this guy... Why does he have yellow glands underneath his eyes post-op?:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/content.asp?CopyID=326&WebID=115

Thank you again.

-POwerRanger

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations NN.

With the number of grafts you received and with existing grafts, I am sure you will get 60-70 FU/cm2 and that is going to look real dense. I will keep following your progress.

Ravi Vide

PowerRanger, can you get get down to phx to do my floors? LOL!

Thats a great trade you have & takes alot of skill.

The patient with the yellow glands under the eyes is the exception to the norm.

The swelling you see is typical but the yellowish color is not.

Most of the swelling ocurs within the 3rd to 6th day in most patients. This is due to the anesthesia fluids migrating down from the head then to the forehead & finally around the eyes & nasal area.

This is normal, but not the yellow color.

If we can help you in any way let us know!

Power Ranger,

No need to thank although our hardwood floors are looking in need of some work. LOL. Actually, what happened for you is such an awesome feeling for me and I'm sure Folica, Bill and others that wanted to help your situation. With all of my time on this forum, that is the one very tangible thing that I am proud of and glad that I was able to be a part of. I'm truly happy that you have been given a second chance and would love to see you do what is best for yourself.

Folica has answered your questions as well as anyone could. No I have not experienced any swelling at all, but understand that it is normal as the fluids drain. I would think that it has to do with the amount of anesthesia also. I have a fairly high pain tolerance so I don't believe they had to give me lots. I have been using a head band to keep fluids up and also icing my forehead regularly. As well, I have been massaging above the eyes to move fluids around and not allow them to pool. So far so good.

Jagdish--Thanks for the kind words. Yes I am hoping that it will give me back my hairline and possibly a little density as well. I guess that is a topic not discussed much, but I chose to keep the conservative hairline (hell I've had a big forehead all my life) in favor of more density. It really can make a hell of a difference. I could easily have lowered things 1 cm but it would have chewed up a lot of grafts. I personally believe that start conservative and you can always lower things in future.

Take care all.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

PowerRanger,

Good to see you my friend. I'm glad to see that your research continues.

Actually, to refute folica...

Though I don't know what causes the yellowish color from a medical perspective, it is more typical than stated. IThe skin under the eyes is extremely delicate and it may be some form of bruising. It occurs when the swelling passes the eyes.

Bill

Hey everyone,

More photos from day 4 will be posted soon. I think that I am quickly exhausting my wife with this whole hair thing and she is the photographer and computer support. I don't blame her. LOL

I am on day 7 and things are awesome. I had no pinkness since day 3/4 which I know is very early especially since I was quite red immediately post op.(Atleast that is the way I see it) Cool though.

I had no swelling or pain. The staples are a drag though. I used to love hitting the pillow. Feeling 60 or so sharp objects pinching with direct pressure is not the coolest thing, but that will come to an end shortly. It seems like my sleep pattern is wacko.

You can't see the staples or scar at all. My wife informs me that things look good. I have not attempted to comb my hair at all yet because it is bizarre with numbness still present and the tracks down the back. Tomorrow I have to finally give it a shot to experiment with a suitable hairstyle for work. I actually go into the office Wednesday. Probably should have taken 14 days off to be honest. I would have been more confident. Such is life.

More pics in near future.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Cheers Nelly

Good to see you are happy and progressing.. all the worrying was for not . Now it's just waiting, and enjoying the ride.. You will be happy with the outcome

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Just added some more pics from day 4. Showing things with wet hair and not combed because I didn't comb my hair for 9 days since I didn't have to and didn't like the feeling of combing a numb head.

Went back to work today and although I was a little insecure with the staples still in, everything went well and I believe all was camoflaged well. No one seemed to stare or take second glances anyways. After about the 1st hour I forgot about everything.

What would I do the same:

1. Research like I did

2. Go to Shapiro

3. Keep some frontal hair

4. Keep hair longer in back

5. Drive instead of fly

6. Marry my wife--Great person, great support that is much needed

What would I do differently:

1. Take 2 weeks off

2. Not have a tan--thought it would offset pinkness, but I now have no pinkness. Good thing but didn't expect.

All is good so far.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Wow, that's a quick recovery. Looks great. Now comes the long 3 month wait that seems like 10.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Hi NervousNelly. It's me again. I really liked you recent pictures. It looks like you are healing very quickly and I can hardly tell that you had a hair tranplantation looking at those photos.

Can I ask you another question please?

How were the staples "punched" in? I mean what does the "stapler" look like? Is there a risk of transecting the hair in the donor area when punching in the staples?

I read somewhere that you can take the staples out yourself? How are you suppose to do that? With thin plyers?

Thank you.

-PowerRanger

Hi Folica! Hi Bill! How are you doing? Thanks again.

PowerRanger,

Not really sure what the stapler looks like? He was behind me. LOL

Yes there is fear of transecting, but the doc is still wearing the magnification glasses while doing I am assuming, so in the hands of a skilled physician those fears are lessened.

I personally would have preferred sutures myself but I have to go with what he feels is best.

My wife is going to take the staples out with a remover they provided. Ofcourse they recommended I go to a medical facility but she has experience with this so I should be in good hands. I never needed the Vicadin so I am saving for that day--she told me she wants me good and calm. icon_smile.gif

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Originally posted by NervousNelly:

My wife is going to take the staples out with a remover they provided. Ofcourse they recommended I go to a medical facility but she has experience with this so I should be in good hands. I never needed the Vicadin so I am saving for that day--she told me she wants me good and calm. icon_smile.gif

Better be nice to her, she will be in a good position for payback!

How are the grafts coming? Are any jumping ship? We need some close up photos as well!

NoBuzz

NoBuzz,

Trust me, I have a very high pain tolerance but I am not looking forward to having the staples out. Things are sensitive in donor area ofcourse but it is a different type of discomfort. I describe as an itch/pulling sensation. I will definitely be quite nice to my wife that day. It might cost me a few dollars--either a shopping trip or dinner and a movie. No biggy, I'll be high on vicodin. LOL

I'll try to get some close-ups and see if we can get some good shots. I told the photographer that those would be the last photos for about 3 months or so. Doh!

So far there has been no shedding at all as far as I can tell. I am glad for that as with them there they provide nice contrast to the white scalp and hide the old work. I have my fingers crossed.

Will keep you posted.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN,

Don't worry about the pain during staple removal process. You do have a good pain tolerance and you'll get through the removal of staples with no problem. It looks like you're healing well.

Everyone,

Just posted some other photos that were sent to me by Shapiro Group. Please keep in mind that the pre photos are from approx. 6 months prior which is obvious as I didn't have a tan.

Just had staples removed approx. 1 hr ago and feel liberated. The only issue was 1st staple when my wife had remover upside down and put staple in further. Was thinking things might be grim with almost 60 more to go. After that it was smooth sailing and didn't hurt at all.

She then sprayed me down with a special equine (yes horse--LOL)antimicrobial wound healing linament. The stuff is awesome. Have used on horses that get caught in barbed wire and what not and it really is magical.

My wife stated that everything looks awesome. We might try again but because hair is a little longer had trouble getting good quality photo of donor, so no point posting.

All is going well. At work 2 days with no strange looks or second glances so I guess must be undetectable which is super. Not showing any signs of shedding grafts yet, but ofcourse that could still take awhile.

Experiencing minor shockloss from what I can tell. There is more hair in comb than usual but nothing drastic at all. This I expected, especially since I kept back of hair longer and many grafts were placed between native hair.

Will wait a few more days and attempt to cut sides and back a little shorter now that staples are out. Will keep all posted.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

• 2 weeks later...

I am approaching that 4 week timeframe. This is starting to be the grim period. I currently have different lengths of hair and I am sure that people are wondering about my bad haircut.

I have shed some grafts but still have 75% approx. and my native hair that was shaved is starting to peek out. I have definitely had some shockloss but nothing too drastic. I have one area in particular (above left ear) that is hard to hide the donor scar because they shaved a wider strip than what was extracted and there is some light shock.

I have now started to use some toppik and combing hair strategically. It blows but what do you do. I am planning on telling more people that I had a HT but am waiting for results so that it all doesn't freak them out. I think that they are more likely to be accepting of it if they don't believe you because it all looks so good. That'll come with time.

Just wanted to update those that are interested. No photos this time as there really isn't much different to see.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN,

Well the good news is you won't have different length hair soon, after the grafts all shed! Of course the bad news is...

ALL THE GRAFTS WILL SHED icon_frown.gif.

But the GOOD NEWS IS...

They will RISE AGAIN icon_smile.gif.

The doldrums are hard but try not to let it get you down. Stay away from that mirror for awhile icon_smile.gif

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hang in there NN! The Doldrums will be over before you know it. Remember...you got to be the ugly duckling before becoming the beautiful swan! haha

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at 6 weeks and hangin in there. Duldrums do suck but I can see that there is hope. The donor area is starting to thicken a little as it is taking less time to camouflage things. I still am holding on to approx. 30-40% of the grafts. I assume that they will all go but am still making efforts to maintain. They are starting to lengthen and thicken a little though. Who knows?

I still have not had anyone notice a thing which is pretty cool. I essentially accomplished everything that I was hoping for in that regard. I think though that my previous scar (approx. 8cm couldn't be removed--too low) stretched slightly or it is just the thinning of the donor area that made it slightly more visible. One day I hope to have scar repair but it is not top priority.

Not going to bother posting photos as there really is not much diffent to see. My wife tells me that I essentially look just like I did prior to surgery, but I believe there is an overall thinness to my hair do to shockloss and areas that were shaved. That will all come back in time.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN,

Hang in there. You're about to hit the doldrums (possibly) but at six weeks, if you still have 30% to 40% of the grafts they may very well stay on. Usually you can say goodbye to them around the three to four week mark. Good growing to you.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

Ofcourse at just over 7 weeks I am obviously still in the doldrums but there is light. I have not lost all of the new soldiers and now will likely not lose them. They are starting to grow also. More interesting is that I have now seen some new growth. Only a couple but it is a start. Definitely new as they came with a pimple and are darker and so far look thicker. Early I know but this is cool and exciting.

I personally feel that the new stuff won't be a sudden appearance for me as it left slowly over a long period so will likely grow back in similar fashion.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NoBuzz,

I will certainly be adding some photos very soon and try to get some closeups to demonstrate some of the grafts that are new and others that I managed to hang on to. Also, I plan on some donor scar photos. So far I am not overly excited about the scar. It is literally undetectable on the sides but the back is still very red and I think wider than what you would prefer. No pencil thin line but hey things are still healing so maybe I am wrong.

My "secretive" regimen for post op will be revealed shortly also as I would essentially conclude the experiment at 8 weeks, although quick growth is a part of this plan also. More to come.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90