Updated Photos of NervousNelly

NervousNelly

The mellon of Nervous Nelly. I will have to change my name at some point because I am now educated and not so nervous. The biggest issue for me is the nervousness of the time off and if people will notice when I go back to work. An issue we all face though...

9171011482_BBDBED752FB1ECCC06285445F98DCE4C.jpg.thumb 8171011482_A50AEDB9EEB5E9008758B118BF587081.jpg.thumb 7171011482_77E7D6684ACC847E493027D087378B5C.jpg.thumb 6171011482_1874626D68C7FE3F3AAE32B82028D701.jpg.thumb 5251070633_223C4961E8295E7529C7E35F009A4995.JPG.thumb 4691007533_B445DA97521241F0175ADC60F15E9B1F.JPG.thumb 4271011482_5D8126722B2CBEB0308DAAE2957436AC.jpg.thumb 4261010433_10E101000D8701DFB4ECB62D5F43A532.jpg.thumb 3561010433_230E19AD48225B908F6B2D225D523DEC.jpg.thumb 3271011482_95F5B2AEC5EB7B811335F24EEE3B61D3.jpg.thumb 3161010433_5D4A9DF8F13DCB35AA7AD0854A7E4910.jpg.thumb 2891007533_666FC5964F0B388E6FE5E9C1309DAB95.JPG.thumb 2751070633_A68C8B75D2CA6BF38F58406A4733CCD6.JPG.thumb 2461070633_127DE5258B30D5E42E75BF5EB6CF29FF.JPG.thumb 2271011482_6F877CA1B32395F23BE0C603FC8AC9B2.jpg.thumb 1861010433_1F4E8543FBD4920065000072C5208FD7.jpg.thumb 1761070633_D6386FDDE38AF24FDA716DA9C2093C84.JPG.thumb 1271011482_8ADF775248E7C6D8A798E8DEB9D004E4.jpg.thumb 1061010433_FB883A5189676370F4022774E7055C35.jpg.thumb

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen,

As I have now fully educated myself and feel confident about going ahead with the procedure, I am narrowing down a time to schedule. I still am up in the air about the doc but it will be either Dr. Ron Shapiro or Dr. Rahal. I am looking at August as it will be a good time for a little time off (no I won't bungy jump or anything crazy--for those that know me) and things will be looking ok for Christmas and by summer I'll be styling like Bill.

Anyways, I do still have a couple of questions about the plan and would like some feedback. Thanks in advance.

1. Primary goal is to cover old work as the plugginess is starting to become evident. Crown never really concerns me as much.

2. Can't shave right down as I can't get enough time off work or wear hat when I return due to my profession.

3. Really don't like idea of small session when I need a larger session.

4. As you can see I have diffuse thinning (but have been this way for years so hair might be viable) so I want to limit shockloss--especially permanent --to native hair.

5. Keep in mind that I would guess that I have approx. 1200-1500 fu in frontal region from old work.

6. Heavily prefer the idea of "stand alone HT"--meaning that if I never get another HT and I lose some native hair it doesn't look strange.

7. Will probably want another HT but don't want to HAVE TO HAVE ONE.

**This is my plan so keep in mind the above statements and tell me what you think.**

I would like to get approx. 3000 Fu and I will cut hair quite short to approx a 3/4 inch at top. I will leave it up to physician descretion keeping in mind above points, but would think that they could do approx. 2000 fu in frontal area and satisfy my wants. The remaining 1000 I would have him sprinkle in the crown area.

If they think that 2000 might increase odds of shock to native hair I would certainly be ok with less as long as old plugginess is hidden.

I would plan on taking 2-3 weeks off of work and would assume with the above plan that I should be able to return to work with no issues.

Feedback much appreciated. Thanks guys.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hi Nervous,

I think your plan sounds very good. It shouldn't be a problem planting 2000 FU in front around existing hair. That is enough to fill in nicely and camouflage any plugginess while at the same time respecting your native hair. You will experience some shock loss, but hopefully most of it it will be temporary. 1000 in the crown, assuming they are fully qualified FU's, i.e. no splitting, will make a significant difference.

Good luck,

Gorp

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Nervous,

Wow, you are finally taking the plunge...I was wondering if/when that would happen icon_wink.gif.

First of all...it's nice to see you back on the forum...even if it is only temporary...but we are glad to have you.

I think your plan of attack sounds good...I'll address each point and give you my feedback.

1. Primary goal is to cover old work as the plugginess is starting to become evident. Crown never really concerns me as much.

I think you can do this pretty well with 2000 grafts in the frontal area. I would not recommend an extremely dense packed session due to the amount of native hair you have left, so I'd have the doc spread out the 2000 grafts a bit into the mid section as well. Of course, see also what your doctor recommends.

2. Can't shave right down as I can't get enough time off work or wear hat when I return due to my profession.

I am certain that Dr. Ron Shapiro does not require shaving...not sure about Dr. Rahal. Both, however, are excellent doctors.

3. Really don't like idea of small session when I need a larger session.

There obviously is a time and a place for both...but I think with the amount of native hair you have left, you ought not to overdo the dense packing, however, I think you can still get a pretty decent session size without worrying too much, ESPECIALLY since your hair loss seems to be under control from what you've been saying.

4. As you can see I have diffuse thinning (but have been this way for years so hair might be viable) so I want to limit shockloss--especially permanent --to native hair.

Both of the doctors you've mentioned above will certainly know what to do to minimize the risk of shockloss. The game plan I've mentioned above regarding spreading out the grafts a bit more should help with this as well.

5. Keep in mind that I would guess that I have approx. 1200-1500 fu in frontal region from old work.

I don't see that as a problem. Between the native hair you have left and another 2000 in the frontal to mid region should give you a nice look.

6. Heavily prefer the idea of "stand alone HT"--meaning that if I never get another HT and I lose some native hair it doesn't look strange.

Well we've talked about this in detail. If the grafts are spread out enough, even if you lose the rest of your native hair, you would certainly have a stand alone HT, however, it would be extremely thin all over. So there really is not way to eliminate the possibility that you MIGHT eventually need another one...though planning carefully as you are doing will certainly minmize the need.

7. Will probably want another HT but don't want to HAVE TO HAVE ONE.

That's called hair greed bro...certainly you will want one...even I want another one...just don't need one.

1000 grafts in the crown should definitely help since you don't have too much loss in that area...however, it still won't provide you with a lot of density. Certainly though...if you WANT more, you can go back later.

I should PROBABLY KNOW THIS from all the times we've talked...but I'd definitely consider taking/staying on finasteride to help minimize future native hair loss. I know you know this...but just a reminder icon_wink.gif

All in all though...your plan sounds good!

Keep us posted on yoru decision my friend.

Bill

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. As both of you are very knowledgeable and well respected members, I appreciate your input and it sounds like we are all on the same page.

Not to downplay your recommendations as they are sound and most likely what I'll pursue, I am striving for approx. 10 or so comments from members so that I get a lot of reassurance and also possibly some enlightenment. I'll probably keep bumping this thread to get a little more exposure.

Much appreciate the valued input.

NN

P.S. Ya Bill I do take Fin but because I started to get some sexual side effects I have gone on my own regimine which is approx. every 2-3 days. From what I can tell it seems to have helped minimize hair loss. Who knows?? And ofcourse I hang upside down 4 times a week for 10 minutes (I know you think I'm nuts) but personally I think it has helped.--maybe placebo but???? icon_smile.gif

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hi NN,

Whatever my humble opinion is worth, your plan of action sounds good. Not to rush you back to work, but you should be able to go back to work after one week without drawing any concerns. You have enough hairs from your previous transplant and your native hairs to cover the work you're talking about. I'll do what I can about sending you or posting some immediate post op pics and 10 days post of pics to illustrate what I'm talking about.

You're funny, Bill. I think NN should choose the doctor he's most comfortable with. icon_smile.gif

Bill,

You are probably right. She is a sweetheart. There is no doubt that she truly cares about her patients. Very refreshing to see that.

The question of Shapiro vs. Rahal is a unique one. Both do great work. Its a coin toss. I lean towards Shapiro because he's got more experience and nobody questions his hairlines. Rahal is the up and comer and is $2000 cheaper and closer and I feel I'll get the same results for less. Ya the money for me is not an issue, but it is a lot of cash. I could go skiing immediately post op for that money. I am a businessman and do think of this stuff??? I am just giving my honest assessment. Am I crazy?? Don't answer that Bill.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Janna,

icon_wink.gif I have to let out my sense of humor every once in awhile you know? So much serious discussion recently icon_smile.gif

NN,

Yes you are Craz.. Oh, you told me not to answer that. Sorry.. *zip*

Whichever doctor you choose, IMO, you will be in great hands with either. The work from both clinics have proven to be superb.

Bill

Hi NN

Welcome back and I happy you are moving forward to correct your Hair loss challenge

Your story was similar to mine when I started ONLY I had a virgin scalp without previous procedures. Specifically:

I could not shave my head

I did not want anyone to know ( nobody does to this day)

I wanted to make an educated decision

I could not afford shock loss

Wasnt sure on how many procedures but hair greed took over!

Anyway, with these factors in mind I chose Dr. True. Yes, he is a bit more conservative so I had three procedures but this was because I couldn't shave my head and have excessive shock loss.

The plan worked!!

Nobody ever knew about my procedure and I returned to work after 7-10 days using Dermatch..I didn't have excessive shock and my results are GREAT ( still at 2 months post op from my last and biggest procedure of 2124. As longas you select one of the top docs on here, you should be fine

Good luck!!!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hey NN,

Congratulations on taking the serious consideration for a HT. You have done your homework and become popular and well respected in this community.

I experienced the same nervousness in the days leading up to the HT with Rahal because I am a teacher and was worried how I would look when I return to work. I asked if he would do the surgery on me without shaving my existing hairs. He said in my case he will have to shave to get good results. I am not sure how it would work in your case. I know you want to get both the front and a bit in the crown region. Maybe 2000 grafts won't require any shaving with Rahal. I would contact Rahal to express your concerns and see where he goes from there.

Both Shapiro and Rahal are great doctors and whatever decision you make youre in good hands. Everything worked out well for me because I excellent support from this site and Bill was able to advise me to work on the scabs early and I was back to work without a hat 8 days post op. However, I have been wearing the hat lately because the grafts have shed and it looks kind of strange because the pinkness in area is more obvious without the grafts. It is still slowly improving. Everyone is different. It just the bright white lights at work. Do you have office lights directly above you in work? Outside of work I go without the hat most of the time because it not as noticable. The past few weekends I went out with some of my friends at night and no one noticed. I just look like I got a ultra buzzed haircut.

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hey guys,

Thanks for the additional feedback. Sounds to me like all of you are in support of my plan. This gives me added confidence that I should be able to go ahead as I had hoped. Thanks again.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN,

Congratulations on getting the (Cue) ball rolling!

I like your plan, shockloss scares the crap out of me and luckily

I had none during my HT 4 months ago. Shaving was not an option for me as well. Either of these Dr's will be able to do the job right for you as you have found out thru your research.

Keep us posted, good luck my friend,

NoBuzz

"Janna,

I have to let out my sense of humor every once in awhile you know? So much serious discussion recently."

Bill, I appreciate your humor. Being too serious can give the appearance of looking older, don't you think?

Good luck NN with your decision. Trust your own instinct/judgement (don't second guess yourself).

NN-- The extra 2K is money well spent--- you get to spend the entire day with Janna!!!!

You plan is excellent, and shows very good planning, taking into consideration shockloss, available donor and existing work.

2000 grafts spread into your existing hair will do very nicely, but do not expect too much with the 1000 in the crown.

It will give some coverage, but I understand what you are trying to accomplish at this time.

As far as docs go, like Janna said--- go with your gut.... my choice is displayed in my signature, so I want to make sure YOU are doing the deciding.

I am glad your back posting a bit more my brother,

Talk to you soon!

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

NN-

Hey buddy - glad to hear you're finally over the hump and heading that direction! Sounds like you've gotten great advice..........I'm sure either place can deliever what you're looking for. I'm excited for you, my friend!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Guys,

Thanks for all the great advise. Appreciate it much. My wife asked me who the moderator of this site is and I told her about Pat. She then asked which doctor he went to and I mentioned Dr. Ron Shapiro. "You're going to him." Hmmm.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Nervous, You know I can't add anything technical since all of the veterans have already gave thier most valued opinions.

But what I can tell you about is when the wife makes her choice with conviction, thats it, game over! LOL!

I know my wife's opinons have a certain power over me. I think ( think, key word ) I am smarter than her, you know run the business, tax & insurance issues etc.. But when it comes to this intuitive kind of thinking, she is always right!

They just seem to know it's going to turn out right once they make thier mind up.

You know we put them through hell with our damn hair obsession! It's getting a little old for my wife but she is getting excited as my newly transplanted hair is popping through in places that have been baron for a long time!

I am sure your plan is sound & with your wifes intuition, your home free.

Keep us posted!

Funny

Good strategy for Nelly and a quite obvious one! To be honest guys, as much as well recommend docs on here I can honestly say I would go to 8-10 docs on here without any worry ( maybe i'll get 8 more procedures haha).. Sure I like Dr. True and my experiences with his team have been excellent.. But as he states himself, " he is not the only one with these skills."

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys/gals:

It's finally booked. I sent in my deposit and am lined up for August 13th with Dr. Ron Shapiro. Trust me, lots of research and questions have led up to this so it should be interesting. Can't wait to see the changes.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Glad to see you made your decision NN!

Very glad for you my friend.

I know I plan on making a "check-up" trip up to Minny this summer, perhaps I'll see you there.

Anyway, your in great hands... can't wait to see your pics!!!!

Cheers,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks B. As we all know, it is not an easy decision but I know that I will be happy with my choice.

I would expect by now that we might get to see a glimpse of the new B. I'm a little concerned that there have been no photo updates. I hope all is well?

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90