Dermmatch (Pics)

If I may, let me jump in with my Dermatch experience.

I started using Dermatch about two months ago--the seventh month into my second HT.

I apply it to my forelock and the rest of my hair in front and top. My crown, from about the imaginary line from the tops of my ears, has too little hair for Dermatch to be effective.

After some trial and error, I've worked out the application amount and method that works for me.

The instructions state to apply the Dermatch liberally with a damp applicator. "Liberally" is subject to interpretation, but for me, "liberally" does not mean to go hog wild. I did that the first time I tried it, and my scalp looked like I had spray painted it.

After I dampen an applicator, I apply enough to thicken the hair and get a light painting of my scalp. (I try to do one small spot at a time, but if I accidentally overload the applicator with Dermatch, I'll spread it out over the entire area I want to cover.) I avoid letting any of the initial Dermatch coating get near my hairline.

Immediately after the application, I take a dry applicator and use it to even out the application. This is also the time to smear some of the Dermatch out to the hairline. You need to be delicate here. Subtlety is the key. You don't want a "paint line" at the hairline; it's a dead giveaway. Ideally, at the hairline, you want just a hint of the Dermatch. An ever-so-slight amount to just diminish the contrast between hair and scalp slightly.

I cannot overstress the need for real restraint at the hairline. Even a slight bit too much, and it looks like a smudge of dirt.

That's the real purpose of me using a dry applicator--to "fuzz up" any obvious "paint lines" and to remove any excess Dermatch at the hairline. (If you overlook some spot that has too much Dermatch showing and discover it later, you can use a fingertip to remove the excess. Again, we're talking about a delicate touch, so you remove just the excess and leave just a tiny shade of the Dermatch in place. Rub it too hard, and you'll remove all the Dermatch.)

After I hone and tweak the Dermatch application with the dry applicator, I run a brush through the whole thing. This evens out the application even further. This is not going to be the final styling; it's just meant to give you an idea of what the application is going to look like. This is where I do any final touch-ups--removing any remaining excess at the hairline, or adding a touch more, usually at the top, if I've missed a spot.

After the Dermatch dries, then I brush and comb my hair for style.

As I said, there was some trial and error, at first, while I experimented to see just how much Dermatch was right to apply in my case. At first, I tended to go too heavy, but learnt to back off. A couple of times, I got it too light (too light is always better than too much, though). But I finally got the right amount down.

I've got the application process down to five minutes or so. If it's part of your daily grooming regimen, such as in getting ready for work, then you can start with the application, then shave and brush your teeth and so forth. By that time, the application will be dry and you can comb and style your hair.

I've found that the only thing which really affects an application of Dermatch (besides soap and water to remove it) is friction. That means it is going to come out when you sleep, from contact with your pillow. (It hasn't seemed to noticeably soil my pillows, however. Probably because, when it's dry, it tends to flake off in minute particles.)

Again, my experience has been, even after sleeping, one application will be good for the second day, but not after that. Again, people are different--different densities of hair, different areas of application, different sleeping habits. So you may find circumstances to be different for you.

A few other random observations in my use of Dermatch . . . .

I don't have the messy residue left on my sink, like Robert experienced (at least at first). I think this goes to the fact that I don't have to apply as much Dermatch as many do. I want the Dermatch damp, but not soaking wet, so very little of it (ideally, none) drips off the applicator onto the sink.

One drawback I've found in Dermatch in my case is that I have salt-and-pepper hair. I asked the Dermatch people about this, and they recommended to blend the "parent" hair colour--in my case, dark brown--with white. I've done this, and it doesn't result in a salt-and-pepper application. It results in a faded version of the parent hair colour. It works, but I'd much rather be able to replicate true salt and pepper. I don't think any concealer can truly do that, though.

In my opinion, using Dermatch sparingly is the key to the optimum result. If you discover you've used too little, you can always apply a second coating. But if you use too much, it's tough to bring it down. Even though it does thicken the individual hairs, what you are really going for is a reduction of the colour contrast between hair and scalp--especially, if like me, you are dark haired. It doesn't take that much to accomplish this.

Probably because I am so discreet in my application, I've never had a "reveal" problem in sunlight. In fact, I've found that if I've applied it right, the brighter the light, the less noticeable it is. Occasionally, when I check in a mirror over the course of the day, I discover that I've left too solid of a line,such as at the hairline. As I mentioned, a quick smudge with a fingertip takes care of that.

That's been my experience with the product. Of course, someone else's mileage may vary.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I have decided after reading all of your feedback of DermMatch, to give it a try.

I ordered it today and it should arrive within the next few weeks. I am 25 years old, and had my first HT 3 years ago. It looked amazing in the first couple years but as my hairline receeded, I am not happy with the current look of it. Hopefully this stuff will be as great as you guys have said it is.

Anxious and eager.

• 8 months later...

Well, I too have been inspired to order a "concealer"....

it has been mentioned that a combo of Dermmatch + Toppik can give maximum effect.....would using the Couvre product have any use if you are already using Dermmatch/Toppik? I am not quite sure of the utility of Couvre if you are already using Dermmatch or Toppik.

Cheers,

Jon

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

Well, I too have been inspired to order a "concealer"....

it has been mentioned that a combo of Dermmatch + Toppik can give maximum effect.....would using the Couvre product have any use if you are already using Dermmatch/Toppik? I am not quite sure of the utility of Couvre if you are already using Dermmatch or Toppik.

Cheers,

Jon

If you're using Dermmatch and Toppik, there's no need for Couvre. Basically, Couvre works in much the same way that Dermmatch does, except that it does not coat the hair shafts, making them look thicker. Essentially, it is "scalp paint," albeit good scalp paint.

And Dermmatch and Toppik really is the best combo. Be sure to order each from their respective website's, though. Avoid the cheap imitations.

Dermmatch - http://www.dermmatch.com

Toppik - http://www.toppik.com/

Also, if you have lighter hair and especially blonde hair, don't expect miracles. Especially with Dermmatch.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Awesome, thx...just ordered myself both Dermmatch and Toppik -- really excited about the potential of these products, especially with a Dermmatch/Toppik 1-2 punch!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

• 1 month later...

nanogen-guy,

I'm a big fan of nanogen myself, but I found that the differences between the two are very small.

You can check out my full review here:

Nanogen Review

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Hi All,

I have been reading this Dermmatch thread with great interest! I have dense hair around the sides and back but have very fine thin hair elsewhere and it is getting very difficult to hide the fact now. I bought some Dermmatch after reading this thread as after calling many of the companies who sell the toppik fibres type of product, all of them told me that in my case, that type of product will probably not work well. As well as being thin on top and with fine hair, under slight exertion or warm environments, my scalp sweats quite profusely and runs all down my face. I bought Dermmatch as apparently it does not come off even in swimming but what about heavy sweating? Will it colour my sweat and then streak down all over my face? That would be a nightmare! I mean if the scalp is 'painted' with black colour dermatch to hide my light brown scalp, then the sweat glanda are underneath and when they do release sweat. will they not force the dermatch to mix in, dislodge it or cause it to form lumps? Has anyone had experience of this? The sweat is going to happen, no matter what. How does heavy sweating then affect the Dermmatch when applied?

Thanks all!

Balding Indian!

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to give my reaction after my first couple months of using this product. First I'd like to say that even though I talked about some of the criticisms of Dermmmatch below, I really really like this product and it has really helped me!!

First, to answer the previous question, I've played various sports with the dermmatch in my hair, for me, I've noticed a dark drop of sweat down my face only 1 out of about every 50 times I feel sweat go down my face, so for the most part it's good. I've noticed that it's been hard to get used to not itching/touching my hair when I'm sweating and throughout the day, and as said elsewhere in this topic, when there is friction, friction takes it off, so be careful to limit that.

For me, unlike Robert, I'd feel a little uncomfortable when a girl runs her hands through my hair, I feel like most of the time there is a little bit that comes off and shows on the hand when you do that. Definitely not all the time, but its still a risk. So be careful of that.

The last thing I would add and probably the MOST IMPORTANT is...does anyone have any information on the safety of this product? My concern is that I've felt a little queazy sometimes when I'm wearing this product (I probably use it about 2-3 times per week). I thought about it and......I'm wondering if the Dermmatch absorbs to/through your scalp. My logic is if Rogaine is absorbed through the hair and scalp, what's to say the coloring and any chemicles that are in Dermmatch are not being absorbed.

I would appreciate some feedback and/or any answers on this. Thanks in advance.

Robert or anyone else with experience, Couvre or Dermatch does one or the other come off more easily? I've used Couvre and recently ordered (but haven't yet received Dermmatch), and while I've been pleased with how Couvre disguises the thinning in my crown, it does seem to leave traces if you run your fingers through your hair, etc. I also compete and train in Jiu Jitsu and was rather mortified when rolling that some of my couvre left a subtle streak on someone's gi. It wasn't real noticeable, but I noticed and as I do dye my hair from time to time, had they noticed I'd have blamed it on that.

Is Dermmatch better at not coming off? Either way I'm excited to try something new.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey guys, i just wanted to say this stuff is awesome...my hair is only about an inch long at most and fairly thin in the middle but when i use this people say i look a lot better and they don't even know i have anything in my hair other then gel spiking it up.

not only that even when i go swimming or after an hour or two in the gym( i sweat like a pig) none of it comes off..this stuff for the value is really too good to be true and its instant results...i just wish i didn't have to do it everyday but oh well :]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Robert, I posted a new topic under this section. But I also decided to post a reply here to ask about your experience with Dermmatch.

I have used it 3 times already. I like it, but I cannot get all the stuff off when I shower. So my question is if that's fine. I know eventually the remaining areas of my scalp with Dermmatch still on (certain areas, especially around the base of the hair) will get cleaned up 'coz I don't use Dermmatch everyday. But I am just worried if not getting my scalp totally clean will affect my grafts or pores on my scalp. Thanks for any feedback.

Dermatch will not cause hairloss or cog pores etc. I used it for years without any issues.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello good people,

I have a few questions about dermmatch and the way it works.

I have been using a concealer similar to nanogen and nobody has noticed it.

The problem comes because it takes me everyday to apply it which is becoming a real pain in the ass.

Another problem is when I am playing sports or when I sweat, I am afraid that it's gonna come down on my forehead.

So I want to know when you apply dermmatch does it come off when you sleep, or when it rains?

I'm also curious to know how many times can you apply it on your hair before getting a new pack

Thanks in advance,

diego-

Dermmatch is pretty much waterproof and will not come out unless you shampoo it out so I think it will likely be the best choice for you............and, as a stand alone, from what I've seen, it beats anything else hands down.

I used it before HT #2 filled in and found that it is best applied, then completely blow dried (or let dry naturally for a long time), then take a damp towell and lightly take out the excess, then dry again...........this helps you avoid it coming off on your pillow at night. Also..............when it's dry, you can use styling cream, gel.........whatever, it really is pretty good stuff.

If you use it every day, a disc which costs around $30 will last you maybe 3-4 months.

Hope this helps,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 1 year later...
Guest mikedeatworld

I am new to this forum and soo excited to even come across this review of Dermmatch. After hearing about it, I ordered it right away! I hope this pics work like it looks they do! Cause that would be awesome!

Does this work well with all hair types? Black/White, etc?

• 1 month later...

After reading comments on this website I ordered my first DermMatch product this past week and today is Saturday and I received my package in the mail. I could not wait to try the product and so far I am very pleased. I know it will take a little more practice to get it just right, but I think for first application turned out okay. For the past two months I have been using Toppik, but I have not been completely happy with the appearance and it was expensive since the product did not last very long (maybe 1 month). Will Toppik was a fast fix, especially when I am trying to get my 6 year old ready in the morning, I feel that I will enjoy the look of DermMatch over Toppik after just one use.

My hair is thin on the top, near my forehead, and near the crown. I applied DermMatch, dark brown, to the top of my head and in the end it made very little mess in my bathroom (or on me, I just took my time). I used my blow dryer on a low setting to speed up the drying process.

I started noticing my hair thin after I had my son in 2002. I have had many problems with my thyroid, and in Sept 2007 I had the overgrown thyroid removed. Since being on the correct medication I have seen less hair come out of my head, but enough has not grown back to replace what I have lost over the years, so to me DermMatch is a great product that makes me feel normal. I am only 29 years old and I just feel so bad when I am in public or on a date because of just how thin my hair is. Real wigs are too expensive so I hope this product continues to be my "secret" weapon against my hair loss.

dermmatch_008.jpg.c706e5f5d00bf490763e636a2cd9d098.jpg

hi kat79 and welcome to the forum.

i checked out the pic you posted and i'll tell you that i would not be able to tell that you have/had any type of hairloss. so the "secret" weapon works pretty good i'd say.

cheers