Dermmatch (Pics)

I ordered some Dermmatch because I was curious to know how it would stand up to Couvre' and Toppik.

I have had great success in using Couvre' and Toppik as illustrated in this thread.

Now, Couvre' and Toppik are both great if I use them together but this was naturally kind of a pain for everyday so I was still burdened with my ballcap on days that I didnt have 10 minutes to spend applying them. I wanted to know if there was a better way and I have read about others' success with Dermmatch.

Well, the curiosity got the best of me and I decided to share my findings with anyone interested.

I am almost six months out from my hair transplant. All of the transplanted hair is in the hairline and forelock. While I have had success with minoxidil and finasteride, I am still thin on the crown. I obviously want something to cover this area.

Below is my "Before" shot of my crown. I apologize that the Before and After pics do not really match up in angle. I will try to get some better ones after a while when i experiment a little more with this stuff. This was the first time I had ever applied it.

DermBefore.jpg

After application:

DermAfter1.jpg

DermAfter2.jpg

This is my favorite part. Even though I have limited hair back there, it still makes the "whorl" appear quite well.

DermAfter3.jpg

If i had to rate each product, I would definitely have to rate Toppik and Couvre' together because if you have too thin of hair you are going to HAVE to use them together.

For messiness, Dermmatch wins out, hands down. After a little practice you can even keep the bathroom sink pretty clean.

For ease of application, Dermmatch also wins. Applying the Couvre' and Toppik takes at least twice as long.

For final result, I have to say that they are a tie. They both look great, in my opinion.

For price, Dermmatch all the way.

I hope this helps some people out. If you have any more questions about either product just ask.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert- Thanks for the research, btw. Your HT looks fantastic. Did you get any grafts applied to the crown? Your hairline looks great !

As for Dermmatch, I'm impressed! I may pick some up to try it out ! More pics would be greatly appriciated!

A

AB,

Thanks for the kind words on my HT. I am infinitely happy with the results thus far. I did not get any grafts placed into the crown. All grafts were applied "forward" of my ears in the hairline and forelock. You can see my entire story and photographic documentation here.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Ok, so I wanted to show others exactly how I apply the Dermatch to help anyone out. If someone has a better way, then by all means, I would like to hear it.

First, I begin with towel-dried hair fresh from the shower.

001Towel-DriedHair.jpg

Next, I wet the applicator per the instructions, make circular motions in the Dermatch and apply generously. I'm not really concerned about getting it on my forehead or if too much is in one area. I am only going for getting all the thin spots covered at this point.

002Application.jpg

Here is what it looks like all applied:

003Applied.jpg

...and here is what my poor sink looks like:

004DirtySink.jpg

Now, I brush through the hair to spread the Dermatch through and get it evenly distributed.

005Combingitthrough.jpg

Here is where a little "forehead cleanup" takes place too. I just take a wet washcloth with a little soap on it and clean any bare skin parts. If there is any that is kinda "gunked up" at the hairline, simply use a dry part of the cloth and run it over the area. This will clean it up and give it that natural look.

006WipingForehead.jpg

Finally, I blow dry and brush my hair. I don't have any gel in in these pics, but I ussually apply the gel after I am totally confident that everything is nice and dry up there. It would make a hell of a mess otherwise.

Dry Crown:

007DryCrown.jpg

Dry Top:

008DryTop.jpg

Dry Front (and back in the mirror)

009DryFront.jpg

Now, for anyone whos going to ask the obvious question: can anyone else notice? Well in short: no. These pictures were taken under harsh, bright bathroom light. In natural or regular room lighting it looks even better. The ultimate Dermatch test came this past Saturday night, though. I went on a first date with a girl and we ended the night by laying on the couch watching a movie. She was running her hands through my hair the entire time. Any differences in texture can just be chalked up to gel. She certainly didn't notice anything. I don't see why anyone else would.

Hope this helps!

-Robert

Wow - awesome results! I had never considered using any of those products that you mentioned because I didn't think they were any good. I'll obviously have to look into it.

Couple of questions:

1. When you're applying Dermmatch, can it stain clothing?

2. After it drys, how does Dermmatch hold up in the rain? Sweating? I'm assuming it didn't discolor your date's fingers . . .

Thanks for the info.

Follicular,

1) I imagine that it could stain. The instructions say to just use a blow dryer to get any off. I just ensure that its completely dry before I put a shirt on.

2) It rained just today. No problems. The instructions say that you can even swim with it.

Edmond,

They say that a disk will last about 6 months.

HBT,

The right is more difficult at times. It is a more involved process. If you want I can post more picture detailing the "toweling off" portion of the procedure icon_biggrin.gif .

-Robert

Edmond,

Try using a blowdryer on a low setting to help speed up the drying time. You have to make sure that the dermatch is totally dry before putting your hands in your hair.

-Robert

Sure, I'll do that next time i put it on.

In the meantime, I realized that even after the Dermatch was dry that some could come off on my hands. To remedy this, I just towel off the applied area a little.

The excess will come off on the towel but leave enough for coverage. This will dispel any variances in color with your natural hair, too.

Just do it lightly and youll be fine.

-Robert

Moderator,

nice topic. Thanks for doing this.

Questions:

1.) Is Dermmatch good for the hairline?

2.) Have you tried Prothik at all?

If you haven't, you should try it and compare all 4 concealers. I know I am asking for too much, but, I gots to know. But i am considering getting dermmatch for myself.

Texas,

Not a problem; glad to see that others are interested.

1) I place the dermatch about half an inch back from the hairline and then brush back. That is what I like about it: if it is too gunky in spots I can always manipulate it back while it is still wet. It is very forgiving. I don't think any concealer, in my opinion, would be very unnoticeable right AT the hairline.

2) Pat, this website's publisher, has used Prothik to cover his crown for years with great success. I have not personally tried it. I may do the same with Prothik sometime in the future, though. Great suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-Robert

Robo,

I chose dark brown. Dermatch will send you one other color for free after your initial purchase in case the color isn't exactly right, though. I am sending off for the lighter brown. Once I get that, I will post some pics of how it looks too.

-Robert

Robert,

VERY NICE illustration with pics. This is exactly how my hair looks with Dermmatch and Toppiks. I've never tried couvre' but have tried Fullmore spray-- it is easy to apply but doesnt look natural.

Dermmatch combined with Toppiks give the ultimate thick dense look. When I use Dermmatch, I only have to use a little Toppiks in the pump sprayer-- 5 seconds to give coverage-- this give the hair an awesome thick look. This combo is the best period. I was told by a person involved in Hollywood, that this the the combo that actors use before filming a scene. However, you have to wash it out before bed, because it will rub off on the sheets plus you need to have it washed out before applying rogaine at night.

I 100% recommend it for anyone with thinning hair.

Nice pics, a couple of questions:

1) So once dermatch dries it won't run, even if it gets wet?

2) You don't need to apply toppik in combination with dermatch?

3) I did not see a scar at all in the one picture of the back of your head (nice job Dr. Cooley). Is it shaved to a #2 in back?

I have tried Prothik myself, it works very well and you will not have any problems in the rain with it. Only soap and water will get that stuff out of your hair. It will however make a complete disaster in your bathroom.

Whysguy,

1) I have found that Dermatch will not run off in the rain or even if I get in the shower and wet it. It does take shampoo to get it out, not just water. Water will take some of it off when you towel-dry your hair after it has been wet, but not enough to really notice.

2) You dont need to apply Toppik in addition to Dermatch, but I am going to try it per Smoothy's recommendation for my own curiosity.

3) Yes, I always shave the back and sides of my head to a #2. It is a hard habit to break after youve been in the military for so long. Dr. Cooley's work is outstanding and I never even worry that my barber sees the scar.

-Robert

Hi All:

I have used Toppik successfully for a couple of years, but, it can get expensive...I recently tried Dermmatch & while it does a good job at covering the bald/thinning areas, I noticed that makes the hair very hard to comb/brush...it seems to restrict the brush from going freely through the hair & consequently pulls hair out which is certainly not what we're trying to do...please note that I haven't used much of the product to get this result...if anyone has any advice on this problem, I'd be interested in hearing it...thanks!

Mike,

I had problems with this same issue at times that I got a little overzealous and put too much in. Use it a little more sparingly if you can. Also, if this doesn't work, try toweling your hair again (use an old towel) after application with a damp towel.

Or, you could get some Couvre' and use this along with Toppik. That works very well too.

-Robert