Norwood 6/7 with pics is it possible to have a good result with a transplant?

Hi All,

From my understanding it would not be worth me getting a hair transplant as I would not get very good density but I wanted to get some second opinions if it possible to get a good result at this level of baldness. I do not want to take Finasteride and was hoping that it wouldn't matter at this point but I have accepted baldness over taking fin anyway.

Thanks

IMG_2617.PNG

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

Your donor area is not that bad but you will need a lot of grafts. In your shoes i would cover the hairline and the midscalp and leave the crown as it is, but i think you have the posibility to also cover the crown with a second surgery if you want to. You are more a candidate for fut and not fue. I would suggest you to consult with doctors like Hasson and Wong in Canada or Hattingen hair in Switzerland to explain this option to you.

Good donor but it would be a long road and yes an FUT+FUE combination would be suitable for you to give you those extra grafts. Dr Laorwong did a great FUT+FUE combination for someone on the forum here, so worth checking out. Eugenix also have a great record of high NW using BHT combinations. 

Your donor area looks good, and your crown has not really dipped so I would not class you as NW7. Your lateral humps are also still high and there is evidence of hair on your mid-scalp (shaved in your pictures) - it might be somewhat miniaturised but either case I think you are a NW6 or possibly a NW5V.

I am very similar to you (see my post below, last page for latest photos) and have seen great success with meds (oral dutasteride and oral minoxidil). I have been quoted 7500 grafts to get a good result. My surgery is taking place next year with Dr Ferreira and will be split over 3 sessions (FUE).

I know you are saying you do not want to take finasteride, but finasteride will help you maintain NW5V/NW6 and prevent your crown/lateral humps from dipping and going into NW7 (if you are genetically inclined to do so), furthermore finasteride will help your donor area to thicken which is essential if you are considering a hair transplant in my opinion.

As far as surgeons go, I would recommend you enquire with Dr Felipe Pitella, he specializes in cases like ours and can get insane results.

Unfortunately in my case travelling to Brazil is not that straightforward so I opted for something in Europe but I was very close to going with Pitella.

Here is my thread with photos (see last page for my recent photos):

Here is one of Pitella's cases:

17 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

7 months my god what a transformation. What have people told you? You look like a completely different person.

B40F2FE3-C66D-463C-9C49-D5C9EE5D369E.jpeg

Edited by Ccd99
  • Like 2
  • Consultation with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Nov 2023 - - link to thread documenting my pre-hair restoration journey
  • First surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Sept 2024 -  - approx. 3500 grafts to frontal third - thread to be created
  • Second surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - TBD - - approx. 2500 grafts to mid-scalp and vertex - thread to be created

1 hour ago, streethawk said:

Good donor but it would be a long road and yes an FUT+FUE combination would be suitable for you to give you those extra grafts. Dr Laorwong did a great FUT+FUE combination for someone on the forum here, so worth checking out. Eugenix also have a great record of high NW using BHT combinations. 

Thanks for your response. Some saying FUT but not FUE and some say a combination. Can I achieve a good result without Finasteride?

10 minutes ago, Ccd99 said:

Your donor area looks good, and your crown has not really dipped so I would not class you as NW7. Your lateral humps are also still high and there is evidence of hair on your mid-scalp (shaved in your pictures) - it might be somewhat miniaturised but either case I think you are a NW6 or possibly a NW5V.

I am very similar to you (see my post below) and have seen great success with meds (oral dutasteride and oral minoxidil). I have been quoted 7500 grafts to get a good result. My surgery is taking place next year with Dr Ferreira and will be split over 3 sessions (FUE).

I know you are saying you do not want to take finasteride, but finasteride will help you maintain NW5V/NW6 and prevent your crown/lateral humps from dipping and going into NW7 (if you are genetically inclined to do so), furthermore finasteride will help your donor area to thicken which is essential if you are considering a hair transplant IMO).

As far as surgeons go, I would recommend you enquire with Dr Felipe Pitella, he specializes in cases like ours and can get insane results.

Unfortunately in my case travelling to Brazil is not that straightforward so I opted for something in Europe but I was very close to going with Pitella.

Here is my thread with photos:

Thanks for your response, you definitely look similar to me and interesting to see that you think I could be creeping into the NW5 region. Do you think you could achieve the desired results you want without Finasteride. I appreciate your point honestly and I get it, this is why I am trying to understand if it a HT is worth me doing as someone who does not want to use Fin. The main risk is if I continue to NW 7 territory right? If I didn't want results could I expect to get?

11 minutes ago, Read123 said:

Thanks for your response, you definitely look similar to me and interesting to see that you think I could be creeping into the NW5 region. Do you think you could achieve the desired results you want without Finasteride. I appreciate your point honestly and I get it, this is why I am trying to understand if it a HT is worth me doing as someone who does not want to use Fin. The main risk is if I continue to NW 7 territory right? If I didn't want results could I expect to get?

Yes possibly a NW5V (vertex) depending on your midscalp.

I think you can yes but remember if you are genetically destined to be NW7 then there won't be anything from preventing that to happen - you could on the other hand just remain NW6 for rest of life in which case there is not much risk of not taking meds. How old are you and have you noticed your hairloss slowing down? PS: even the most elite doctors like Dr Zarev recommend patients apply DHT blockers 6 months before surgery on donor area to help maximise transplant success.

By the way, topical finasteride might also be an option if you would be open to considering that? Here is a post by someone who did not get on with oral finasteride but had good success with topical and no side effects:

I do think a surgery can make a drastic difference in your case and I would certainly explore your options further, start with obtaining consultations from surgeons etc.

Edited by Ccd99
  • Consultation with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Nov 2023 - - link to thread documenting my pre-hair restoration journey
  • First surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Sept 2024 -  - approx. 3500 grafts to frontal third - thread to be created
  • Second surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - TBD - - approx. 2500 grafts to mid-scalp and vertex - thread to be created

• Administrators

Your donor looks really good. Obviously, consult with H&W, Pittella, Dr. Sethi and Dr. Bansal, Zarev, Hattingen. These are the top clinics for high Norwoods.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

25 minutes ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Your donor looks really good. Obviously, consult with H&W, Pittella, Dr. Sethi and Dr. Bansal, Zarev, Hattingen. These are the top clinics for high Norwoods.

Zarev probably not realistic for people now. Only off schedule available now at 9euro per graft. His on schedule is suspended now.

• Wow 1

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

Zarev probably not realistic for people now. Only off schedule available now at 9euro per graft. His on schedule is suspended now.

Well, there’s other surgeons that charge a similar amount. It all depends on your finances. He’s probably not feasible for the average person. But there’s probably a good number of guys that can and will pay that amount. It’s certainly worth it if you have the money IMO.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Well, there’s other surgeons that charge a similar amount. It all depends on your finances. He’s probably not feasible for the average person. But there’s probably a good number of guys that can and will pay that amount. It’s certainly worth it if you have the money IMO.

I would be prepared to pay a good amount on the basis that it would achieve a good result (full coverage) WITHOUT using Finasteride. My main concern now is understanding that before I get any work done.

3 hours ago, hairman22 said:

Is it really suspended ? How do you know, dear hairman ?

This looks like a Pitella, H&W or Hattingen type surgery. I’ve just had a HT a couple of days back and cannot speak more highly of them. They are notorious for doing people with high NWs. I actually met a patient yesterday who was probably a NW6 and seeing his pictures after his first surgery i was super impressed that i made a great choice with them. Reach out to them and some of the others mentioned and see what they have to say. But you definitely look like at least 2 surgeries unless you go with Pitella who seems to get some crazy graft numbers. 

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Read123 said:

I would be prepared to pay a good amount on the basis that it would achieve a good result (full coverage) WITHOUT using Finasteride. My main concern now is understanding that before I get any work done.

Given the extent of your hair loss, I don't know your expectations give me pause. Full coverage with total density is not really possible. You would need 14K+ grafts. Maybe a hair transplant isn't the best option if that's what you're looking for. Have you considered a hair system?

View my thread

The post by Dr Pittella today is an example of what's possible by the best surgeons, without finesteride and with a NW7 patient.

That's not to say you'd get the same result, but your circumstances are better, so you should, with the same doctor.

Would that be an acceptable outcome for you, or would you look for more density to meet your requirement of a 'full head of hair'?

On 12/6/2023 at 6:39 AM, Read123 said:

Thanks for your response. Some saying FUT but not FUE and some say a combination. Can I achieve a good result without Finasteride?

If you are not willing to take medication, a hair transplant would be pointless imo as you would experience further loss which would cause gaps between the work and your native hair. There are some on the forums who do not take medication, but their hair loss isn't as severe, and have maintained more hair in their later stages of life.

I highly recommend a topical fin/min combination to see if that helps. There are a lot of horror stories on finasteride you read online, but I believe that 95%+ users on these forums who take finasteride have had a good experience. @Melvin- Admin can fact-check me on that though. I used to be very scared of finasteride myself, but have not looked back after starting medication. It actually helped grow my crown back.

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23

15 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

your crown will dip eventually, to the norwood 6 region

you can see a clearly difference in density already. thats another 2000 grafts that are about to go…

This was with very harsh lighting but yeah I see what you mean. I thought this was Norwood 6 already though? Even though it is still quite high, my sides are still very high as well like up to the top of my head.

12 hours ago, hybonix said:

If you are not willing to take medication, a hair transplant would be pointless imo as you would experience further loss which would cause gaps between the work and your native hair. There are some on the forums who do not take medication, but their hair loss isn't as severe, and have maintained more hair in their later stages of life.

I highly recommend a topical fin/min combination to see if that helps. There are a lot of horror stories on finasteride you read online, but I believe that 95%+ users on these forums who take finasteride have had a good experience. @Melvin- Admin can fact-check me on that though. I used to be very scared of finasteride myself, but have not looked back after starting medication. It actually helped grow my crown back.

Hi thanks for your response. I appreciate what you are saying but I have made my decision on the Finasteride part, for me this is not about trying to expect the impossible if there fact is that WITHOUT fin and with my situation I would not get a good result then I have my answer and will move on. This was just finding out if there was any possibility of achieving a good result without it you know?

On 12/6/2023 at 3:56 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

Hi Melvin, I sent you a direct message is it possible to speak to you on there please?

Thanks

Always depends on boundary of hair loss location, size of scalp, etc.

You have pretty high up boundaries and a seemingly good donor so it's absolutely possible to get a good result. Not 75% of original natural density, but if you manage expectations, very possible with a handful of doctors to get a good outcome.