Dr. Zarev - 7700 Grafts

anxious6

1 hour ago, johnto said:

How long from when you offered to pay 9 euro per graft were they able to get you in for a procedure ?  I feel like now that some people will pay $9 a graft the $5 a graft will get pushed off to the long end of the waiting list 

Its 9 Euro not 9 Dollar

• Administrators

Awesome, we have another Zarev case, I’ve bo doubt this will turn out amazing 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 10/15/2023 at 11:29 AM, anxious6 said:

Anyway, I've been on oral finasteride + topical minoxidil for a couple of years now and actually have seen stabilization and a tiny bit of regrowth, though not enough to make a significant cosmetic impact. My father's side of the family is all Norwood 1s and 2s - my grandfather had a thick ronald reagan head of hair at 89 - but mother's side is all norwood 5 - 7s. 

Surgery both days started with a  10am arrival, roughly an 11am surgery start and we did not finish til after midnight. Roughly 3800 grafts each day. Dr. Zarev is the only one touching your head throughout the surgery. Sitting / lying there for that long is uncomfortable, but I didn't feel almost any pain throughout the process.

Very classical inheritance pattern for hair loss. I wonder if switching to low dose oral minoxidil (ie 2.5 or 5 mg) would help your recovery.

What a monster case! He did the implantation and the extraction himself? Or did techs help with the extraction?

Please keep us updated.

On 10/15/2023 at 8:29 PM, anxious6 said:

Surgery both days started with a  10am arrival, roughly an 11am surgery start and we did not finish til after midnight. Roughly 3800 grafts each day. Dr. Zarev is the only one touching your head throughout the surgery. Sitting / lying there for that long is uncomfortable, but I didn't feel almost any pain throughout the process. Upon wrapping up the second day We ended up with a  total of about 7700 grafts. I should know the exact number but I can't remember exactly - I'll go back and check with Dr. Zarev in my next monthly update with him to confirm because I might be off by 100 in either direction. 

@consequence This should answer your question. For every case, Dr.zarev does everything himself and he doesn't plan on changing that.

The work looks so clean and the healing happened so quickly after the procedure that it’s difficult to tell where the crown work stopped and ended. It looks like a gradual decrease of grafts to about mid crown, am I right? 7700 total grafts, should get a very dense result across the top. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Looks excellent so far 🙏

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 10/21/2023 at 3:16 PM, johnto said:

How long from when you offered to pay 9 euro per graft were they able to get you in for a procedure ?  I feel like now that some people will pay $9 a graft the $5 a graft will get pushed off to the long end of the waiting list 

Ah I thought the new price is 9€ each grafts, haha. Thats a lot.  

Edited by ener

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 7:29 PM, anxious6 said:

Hi all. I wasn't going to post anything here, but I see there's a lot of continued interest in Dr. Zarev and I feel I owe this community a lot in terms of researching my options to make an informed decision. Apologies if the write up is a little shorter and the pictures aren't the same quality others have provided. 

I'm 34 and first noticed hair loss at 18 or 19. I was a norwood 3 by 22 and then made a steady progression to a norwood 6 by around age 30. Apart from brief stints on minoxidil I was not on medication during this time. That was such a dumb mistake. Anyway, I've been on oral finasteride + topical minoxidil for a couple of years now and actually have seen stabilization and a tiny bit of regrowth, though not enough to make a significant cosmetic impact. My father's side of the family is all Norwood 1s and 2s - my grandfather had a thick ronald reagan head of hair at 89 - but mother's side is all norwood 5 - 7s. 

I made the decision about a year ago to get a hair transplant after seeing some of the surprisingly strong results from Eugenix and Hasson and Wong on this forum for people with Norwood 6+ patterns. I had consultations with Eugenix, H&W, Pitella and C*le. I had reached out several times to Zarev during this time, based on Hugo's results, but had not gotten a response. In February I sent in two final messages through his website (one in English and one in my best-attempted translation to Bulgarian) letting him know I'd be interested and willing to pay off schedule pricing. A couple of weeks later his coordinator reached out and set up a call with Dr. Zarev and requested more pictures. Dr. Zarev and I then spoke a few weeks after that for about half an hour on the phone about the photos, his techniques, family history of hair loss, etc. He said he thought i would be a candidate based on pictures / discussion, however there was no way for him to know without seeing me in person. He agreed to try and fit me in if they had a cancellation, but I would need to arrive 3+ days beforehand for an in person consultation as part of the same trip, and there was a real possibility I would get there and he would determine I was not a fit. I agreed. In early May I got a call asking if I could make it in for a 6/2 consultation followed by surgery on 6/5 and 6/6 if all checked out.

I'm not sure I have much to add to MTB's experience with Dr. Zarev in person. My consult with him lasted 2+ hours, most of which was taking pictures and taking measurements. We then talked about potential progression of loss. While it was apparent to me in my photos that my crown was dipping very low and wide, Dr. Zarev also let me know that my sides could dip further as well, which I did not know going in. If so, he estimated that in my final pattern and with an age appropriate / not overly high hairline I would likely need 13,500 - 14,000 total grafts for the coverage and density he thought was satisfactory, however I only have ~12,500 available without over depleting the donor area. At some point down the road I might have to make the choice between a thinner crown or over depleting the donor area and keep the side shaved at a 1 - 2 guard from that point forward, similar to the norwood 7 results that have been discussed on this forum. I was fine with either scenario as it was better than i had been expecting when I first started researching this. With that he agreed to move forward.  

Surgery both days started with a  10am arrival, roughly an 11am surgery start and we did not finish til after midnight. Roughly 3800 grafts each day. Dr. Zarev is the only one touching your head throughout the surgery. Sitting / lying there for that long is uncomfortable, but I didn't feel almost any pain throughout the process. Upon wrapping up the second day We ended up with a  total of about 7700 grafts. I should know the exact number but I can't remember exactly - I'll go back and check with Dr. Zarev in my next monthly update with him to confirm because I might be off by 100 in either direction. 

Like an idiot i bumped my head getting out of the cab going back to the hotel. I was distraught, but the next day, when i came back in for my first wash, Dr. Zarev said I had lost 10 grafts. He offered to re-implant there, but said it would not make a noticeable cosmetic difference, even though they were all clustered together at the convergence of midscalp and crown. I decided not to do anything else. From there my head swelled up like a balloon and then subsided over the 8 days post surgery in Sofia. I traveled back to the US on Day 9 post op and washed off my scabs the next day. Assuming all goes well we will be looking for a date to go back around month 10 for a second session. 

I feel like I have had slower growth than Hugo or MTB, and that kind of freaked me out around month 3. Ha, I know that it's within the normal range not to have any real growth showing at month 3, but given Hugo's insane amount of early growth and MTB's promising early returns, I was pretty worried. Then about 3.5 mos in things started to pick up. I'm at 4 month and 8 days now, and it's crazy to look back at how much has changed in that time. I still have a long way to go, but I'm not nearly as concerned as I was before. One last thing, is that even though it is difficult to get in touch with Dr. Zarev initially, once you are a patient he is very responsive. At the very least we text on whatsapp about progress each month and he's called me twice to check in. 

So that should wrap it up. I'll post pics below when I get a chance later today. 

If you don't mind me asking what was the cost? I see on their website it's €9 per graft which is in the premium range.

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, EricEdwards said:

If you don't mind me asking what was the cost? I see on their website it's €9 per graft which is in the premium range.

That's the off-schedule pricing. Normally it's 5EUR per graft (but you'll be waiting a few years just for the consultation alone).

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2023 at 12:37 PM, anxious6 said:

From a couple days short of 6 months:ec77f81b-077e-4273-bfea-9c32a71166e8.thumb.jpg.60d06318cb9a97f43505770f0b815a3d.jpgd405db00-834b-41ac-82b1-c8d4919da3db.thumb.jpg.93a9425b9101ed47b44d104dec34769a.jpgd107c428-99fb-4f53-81a1-5dd11117cd6a.thumb.jpg.9dc64b7b7eece84e96e7004c9b5d3e54.jpgafee8053-39f7-4f94-87d6-ebc8230e8027.thumb.jpg.bf1acc54c69cc762f5032ebd0cd2324d.jpg60786036-4096-4eff-a38a-cd03f4cb8e4d.thumb.jpg.940906870137008e120cfe943764363f.jpg901b88be-73a8-450a-ac6d-1cf07e59e08e.thumb.jpg.6da078d02169c8a8da86ee494385ef1c.jpgf00f424e-8e09-4acc-b512-c317a45b75cb.thumb.jpg.46d86db5981b6e4a7d229e34325da223.jpg

Congratulation . It looks amazing for 6 month . Do you know how long is the wait list for zarev as of now ?