Podcast on August 30th with Dr. Zarev Ask Your QUESTIONS

• Administrators

I will be doing a pre-recorded podcast with Dr. Zarev on August 30th. I know a lot of you are interested to hear from him and his techniques, so please ask your questions below.

Podcast.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Well Done 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor

1. I love to hear him to talk about repair cases and hairline extraction work, particularly because he seems to have a unique extraction technique to minimise donor area scarring. I'd want to know how often he does hairline extraction cases and if his techniques translate to reducing or eliminating scarring in that area and if he has any cases of such work he can share. He clearly has a talent for difficult cases and achieving amazing high graft-count results, so it would be interesting to see cases and hear about his approach to hairline repair work (scar reduction, how many sessions, what techniques he uses in terms of punch size and so on).

2. I've also heard he's reluctant to use beard hair, so would be good to hear what he says about that.

3. Temple points; don't think I've seen any temple point work by him so would be curious about his thoughts on restoring temple points

4. Definitely need to clear up some of the confusion about whether he uses microscopes!

Can't wait to hear the talk, @Melvin- Moderator!

• Like 4

• Administrators
3 hours ago, HugoX said:

Say hi to him from me and tell him he's the GOAT. 😁

Definitely, were due for an update 😬

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1) Why does he do FUE for mega sessions? He’s very mathematical and mathematically, an FUT should lead to more lifetime grafts because you are taking all the healthy follicles from an entire row. 

2) How many NW7s has he done and for what percent does he use beard hair?

Edited by Fox243

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Fox243 said:

1) Why does he do FUE for mega sessions? He’s very mathematical and mathematically, an FUT should lead to more lifetime grafts because you are taking all the healthy follicles from an entire row. 

2) How many NW7s has he done and for what percent does he use beard hair?

I don’t think he used body hair at all. But good question I’ll ask.

• Like 1

View my thread

Standard approach in HT is harvesting from the Safe Zone. This is called Safe Zone, because hair in this zone are most resistant to DHT and thus miniaturisation. 

Average patient  has around 5000-6000 grafts that can be extracted from the Safe Zone. So clearly Dr Zarev is extracting thousand of grafts outside the Safe Zone when he is doing his 10000 +  FUE hair transplatations. 

So the question for Dr Zarev is

Isn't it the case that although we are seeing great hair transplant results now, in a few years due to extracting grafts outside the Safe Zone, many transplanted hair will be miniaturized and the effect will be much worse than with the standard approach? Are other elite doctors wrong that they are focusing on extracting from the Safe zone? 

Edited by GeneralNorwood
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, GeneralNorwood said:

Standard approach in HT is harvesting from the Safe Zone. This is called Safe Zone, because hair in this zone are most resistant to DHT and thus miniaturisation. 

Average patient  has around 5000-6000 grafts that can be extracted from the Safe Zone. So clearly Dr Zarev is extracting thousand of grafts outside the Safe Zone when he is doing his 10000 +  FUE hair transplatations. 

So the question for Dr Zarev is

Isn't it the case that although we are seeing great hair transplant results now, in a few years due to extracting grafts outside the Safe Zone, many transplanted hair will be miniaturized and the effect will be much worse than with the standard approach? Are other elite doctors wrong that they are focusing on extracting from the Safe zone? 

I became a norwood 6 around age of 28 and nothing changed up until I did my hair transplant at age 40,if I had done nothing I would look the same for sure another 20 years, would I drop to norwood 7? maybe, when? Don't know, when I am 60? 70?

If I went do Dr Zarev with a norwood 2-3 hair loss then of course it would mean a total different approach. 

So what I am saying, the WOW results you see are done on norwood 6/7s, what more would a person like that loose? How many goes from norwood 6 to.... norwood 10( I know doesn't exist 😅). 

Just look at old men that have had the same norwood 6/7 hair loss from age 30 to age 75-80 (of course thinning of hair due to age will affect) but nothing has changed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, HugoX said:

So what I am saying, the WOW results you see are done on norwood 6/7s, what more would a person like that loose? How many goes from norwood 6 to.... norwood 10( I know doesn't exist 😅). . 

Norwood 6/7 - they don't have much hair to lose on the top, that's right. However they can lose more hair in the donor area, specially outside the Safe zone, where hair are more sensitive to DHT - that is called retrogade alopecia. I don't have to look far to find examples of this. My dad has obvious thinning on the sides of his head. 

Even the strongest hair in the back of the head can be affected by DHT and miniaturize. That's why taking medication is often advised by HT doctors even for Norwoods 6/7. 

I know your thread and I read that you are taking finasteride and minoxidil, it's very good. This gives extra protection, especially for the hair outside the Safe zone. 

So my question is more for the cases of people who don't take finasteride

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GeneralNorwood said:

Norwood 6/7 - they don't have much hair to lose on the top, that's right. However they can lose more hair in the donor area, specially outside the Safe zone, where hair are more sensitive to DHT - that is called retrogade alopecia. I don't have to look far to find examples of this. My dad has obvious thinning on the sides of his head. 

Even the strongest hair in the back of the head can be affected by DHT and miniaturize. That's why taking medication is often advised by HT doctors even for Norwoods 6/7. 

I know your thread and I read that you are taking finasteride and minoxidil, it's very good. This gives extra protection, especially for the hair outside the Safe zone. 

So my question is more for the cases of people who don't take finasteride

Its simple some hairs will thin in scalp and donor over a lifespan 

How many we dont know

But if your in your 60s with a thin donor and top but you 20 years of great to good hair its worth

Lets remember zarevs scarring is minimal

This is worse case scenario of course

Zarev extrations are no different to bisanga,eugenix pittella or others

Its his extraction which means less tissue damage so he can take more

Edited by hairman22
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

Its simple some hairs will thin in scalp and donor over a lifespan 

How many we dont know

But if your in your 60s with a thin donor and top but you 20 years of great to good hair its worth

Lets remember zarevs scarring is minimal

This is worse case scenario of course

Zarev extrations are no different to bisanga,eugenix pittella or others

Its his extraction which means less tissue damage so he can take more

Ok guys, i know that my question is the most unconvienient one. However the purpose of this thread is " ask dr Zarev a question", so let him answer that 😅

6 minutes ago, GeneralNorwood said:

Ok guys, i know that my question is the most unconvienient one. However the purpose of this thread is " ask dr Zarev a question", so let him answer that 😅

It isnt uncovienient at all

Its just a simple answer for all surgeons etc

Hair transplant after 30 years are likely to thin somewhat in advanced norwoods 

Does he do a lot of graft splitting to achieve such homogenous donors?

what is the range of punch sizes he uses?

is there anything specific he recommends (shampoos, vitamins, etc) in the post op period that he feels contributes to his high yield and quick results?

does he plan on selling his custom extraction system that he has designed?

• Angry 1

I haven’t seen any cases of thin donor with him yet and there are patients who have excellent sides, those imo are easy cases. For example a member Gatsby here had extremely bad donor, would Zarev for example have taken him?

Also what percent of body hair is used by him?

I am also curious what his post-op instructions are like. So many people overlook this but I know post-op care is just as important and he must be doing something different here that his patients don’t damage their grafts and get massive growth.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Emiry said:

I haven’t seen any cases of thin donor with him yet and there are patients who have excellent sides, those imo are easy cases. For example a member Gatsby here had extremely bad donor, would Zarev for example have taken him?

Also what percent of body hair is used by him?

I am also curious what his post-op instructions are like. So many people overlook this but I know post-op care is just as important and he must be doing something different here that his patients don’t damage their grafts and get massive growth.

I believe based on my conversation with him, he doesn’t take on repair cases because he’s unable to achieve the best possible outcome. He mainly does virgin scalps. 

• Like 1

View my thread

16 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I believe based on my conversation with him, he doesn’t take on repair cases because he’s unable to achieve the best possible outcome. He mainly does virgin scalps. 

I saw a repair case when i was there last March. Guy went to turkey hair was a mess

But you are correct he really prefers virgin scalps. My sides of my donor are untouched so he said those grafts are very high quality. Grafts where i had previous transplant less quality possibly damaged from previous surgery so of average quality he said. The feeling i got was if i didnt have previous transplant i would have had way more grafts as the punches were too large even though my scarring isnt bad. I used 3k grafts & have 9k left he said. Need 11,000 to cover potential final pattern. He said i possibly would have had up to 14k left if no previous surgery

He will defintely turn down patients he comes across in person as a perfectionist & not a fan of body hair.

Edited by hairman22

4 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I don’t believe Dr Zarev would have accepted me as a patient at all. All of his excellent results I have seen have excellent scalp donors.

Im not sure he would have declined you 12,138 Grafts (hairtransplantation.bg) awful donor. He showed me a few others similar. 

Hard to say though for sure