HT regret

If you find my HT thread you’ll see I went through the same thing. Anxiety, depression, buyer’s remorse, etc. the first 6 months or so. But then once the hair started to fill in and look thick, I turned a corner. Now I couldn’t be happier that I did it. It was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

If you find my HT thread you’ll see I went through the same thing. Anxiety, depression, buyer’s remorse, etc. the first 6 months or so. But then once the hair started to fill in and look thick, I turned a corner. Now I couldn’t be happier that I did it. It was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. 

Who was the surgeon at PAI, the thing with places like that and other commercial mills, sometimes the doctors are actually good. It’s just a gamble. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 minute ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Who was the surgeon at PAI, the thing with places like that and other commercial mills, sometimes the doctors are actually good. It’s just a gamble. 

Dr. Waesche. I’m very happy with the results, but it’s far from a perfect HT. And had I known about this forum beforehand and did my research, I would have gone to a forum recommended surgeon instead, and likely had a better result. Even though I’m happy with my results, I wouldn’t recommend my place or doctor simply because there are so many better options out there. 

Just wanted to thank everyone for their helpful comments and support. I know I need to give it time and let it settle, let it grow etc. Its looking slightly better now the scabs are off and it's not therefore as harsh a colour as it was. 

I'll perhaps post an update in a few weeks as to how it's going 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, cheesy1986 said:

Just wanted to thank everyone for their helpful comments and support. I know I need to give it time and let it settle, let it grow etc. Its looking slightly better now the scabs are off and it's not therefore as harsh a colour as it was. 

I'll perhaps post an update in a few weeks as to how it's going 

If it's any comfort, your hair in your pre-HT photo looks like crapola.  ;)

Your new hairline actually looks amazing, and I actually have the same hair/beard color and skin tone as you.  After I get my HT, I'm hoping to be able to sport a solid hairline like your new one, and wear it in a nice short cut as well.

Just like you, I will be addressing my crown in a separate HT.  I get your concerns about having to sport a bald crown from now until your next HT, but I think you may be underrating how good a short cut (or buzz cut) will look on you now that you have a solid hairline.  You also have the benefit of low contrast between your blonde hair and scalp, so the balding crown won't be so pronounced.

Your new hairline, with that earring, and a nicely trimmed beard will look good (don't forget to shave that neck hair).  It's a much better and more modern look than your pre-HT photo where you looked like a balding Shaggy.  A backward baseball cap (with your new forelock hairs showing in the snapback part of the hat) will look good too and will hide the crown if you're still self conscious about it.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Just a quick update. It's been a tricky month for me since my procedure. I'm still having major doubts about my hairline position and shape. I'm thinking it is more the shape than the height, but it's a bit of both. 

I think it is too straight and when on the side profile it looks like it joins my temples too low, particularly on one side. There is no recession built into the hairline to join my receded temples. I think its called the frontal temporal transition. Picture 2 below.

Thoughts welcome. 

Still have quite a lot of redness too in certain lighting 

20230312_183918.jpg

20230312_183920.jpg

20230312_183917.jpg

IMG-20230312-WA0011.jpg

Edited by cheesy1986
Added more text

I think I see what you are talking about it being too straight where it joins your temple points, but honestly, it will be meaningless when you have any sort of hair length there.

Worst case, if it still bothers you, you can get it rounded on your next visit (see image below). It would probably be very few grafts.

But honestly, this is no big deal at all.

Have your newly transplanted FUEs been shedding yet?  

image.thumb.png.12b452c33306509e33300be59f499180.png

• Valued Contributor

I know exactly how you’re feeling right now because I’ve been there myself and to a decent extent still am. 

But… I think the design looks pretty good on you. And the height looks decently conservative and fine. 9 weeks post op is very much in the difficult phase. When thing starts to properly fill in, you’ll see a softening of the shape you’ll soon start to be able to style your hair etc, which will make a positive difference in your outlook. 

Whatever reservations you still have after the final results are in will be much, much less than right now. That much I can promise!

7 hours ago, Bucky O Hair said:

I think I see what you are talking about it being too straight where it joins your temple points, but honestly, it will be meaningless when you have any sort of hair length there.

Worst case, if it still bothers you, you can get it rounded on your next visit (see image below). It would probably be very few grafts.

But honestly, this is no big deal at all.

Have your newly transplanted FUEs been shedding yet?  

image.thumb.png.12b452c33306509e33300be59f499180.png

I would think he is troubled over the opposite - that there is no maturing built in and it hits the sides too low. If I understood him correctly, then making them rounded (which top clinics usually don't do) would make it worse.

If that is what he means, then I can see what he means and I would have connected it a bit higher on the sides too, but I don't think it's a big deal. It looks like it will be a good result.

31 minutes ago, Xanadu said:

I would think he is troubled over the opposite - that there is no maturing built in and it hits the sides too low. If I understood him correctly, then making them rounded (which top clinics usually don't do) would make it worse.

If that is what he means, then I can see what he means and I would have connected it a bit higher on the sides too, but I don't think it's a big deal. It looks like it will be a good result.

Yes it is more that. I think it is too low and its stressing me out a bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berba11 said:

I know exactly how you’re feeling right now because I’ve been there myself and to a decent extent still am. 

But… I think the design looks pretty good on you. And the height looks decently conservative and fine. 9 weeks post op is very much in the difficult phase. When thing starts to properly fill in, you’ll see a softening of the shape you’ll soon start to be able to style your hair etc, which will make a positive difference in your outlook. 

Whatever reservations you still have after the final results are in will be much, much less than right now. That much I can promise!

Thank you @Berba11  its been bothering me quite a lot since the procedure. I've even been looking at the possibility of getting some punched out to change the shape of the hairline. I know that's not ideal but I'm really not too happy 

34 minutes ago, cheesy1986 said:

Thank you @Berba11  its been bothering me quite a lot since the procedure. I've even been looking at the possibility of getting some punched out to change the shape of the hairline. I know that's not ideal but I'm really not too happy 

Don't do anything rash now.  :)

I think you'll be happy at the 6-8 month mark when this all fills in.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bucky O Hair said:

Don't do anything rash now.  :)

I think you'll be happy at the 6-8 month mark when this all fills in.

Thanks. Yeah I'm trying to stay calm and I don't think they can be extracted for a few months. Even laser removal you need to wait a few months I believe. 

Fingers crossed you are right and I end up happy with it, but struggling at the moment. It's 3am now and I lie awake thinking 

20 minutes ago, cheesy1986 said:

Thanks. Yeah I'm trying to stay calm and I don't think they can be extracted for a few months. Even laser removal you need to wait a few months I believe. 

Fingers crossed you are right and I end up happy with it, but struggling at the moment. It's 3am now and I lie awake thinking 

You're gonna be a very tired man for the next few months until this starts to really grow.  ;)

My HT is in a month, and although the nervousness hasn't hit me yet, I'm sure it will at some point.  I've already told myself that I am just going to keep buzzing my head and not focus on my hair at all (and will pretty much have a hat glued to my head at all times). 

Hey man, having a hair transplant is certainly a big deal. I see a lot of people posting on here and freaking out about completing their procedures very early on. They often seem to update with great results later, or you don't hear from them at all.... we can only assume those who don't come back have hopefully regrown their hair and likely moved on in life. I guess some men just aren't psychologically prepared for the process (even if they think they are) this can be with anything in life where changes happen 🤠

• Like 4

Be objective. Measure the distance between the glabella (middle of the eyebrows, at the top of the nose) and the start of the hairline. I'd wager its about 8 or 9cm for you. 

You could have done the whole thing in one surgery, for sure. It's been done before. Dr Pitella, Zarev, Hasson and many others are known for doing huge sessions. It just depends who you go to. Some docs are able to do more grafts in one go than others. 

But it's not a big deal. You can just go back for the crown next time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Be objective. Measure the distance between the glabella (middle of the eyebrows, at the top of the nose) and the start of the hairline. I'd wager its about 8 or 9cm for you. 

You could have done the whole thing in one surgery, for sure. It's been done before. Dr Pitella, Zarev, Hasson and many others are known for doing huge sessions. It just depends who you go to. Some docs are able to do more grafts in one go than others. 

But it's not a big deal. You can just go back for the crown next time. 

Thanks for the suggestion. 

If I am measuring from the correct point it is around 8cm, maybe a touch under. 

This is roughly similar to my tip of nose to chin, which I think is the rule of thirds?

20230320_164310.jpg

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, cheesy1986 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. 

If I am measuring from the correct point it is around 8cm, maybe a touch under. 

This is roughly similar to my tip of nose to chin, which I think is the rule of thirds?

That's the same height as my hairline and I wish mine was slightly lower. I think the 8cm height is about as high as you want to go before it starts looking too much like you don't have a hairline and need a hair transplant.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

5 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

That's the same height as my hairline and I wish mine was slightly lower. I think the 8cm height is about as high as you want to go before it starts looking too much like you don't have a hairline and need a hair transplant.

Thanks. Yeah that's probably a fair point. You'd maybe not want to style it much other than a fringe if the hairline were higher. 

It's also partly the shape that bothers me but hopefully once it grows out it'll be less obvious 

16 hours ago, Silent123 said:

Hey man, having a hair transplant is certainly a big deal. I see a lot of people posting on here and freaking out about completing their procedures very early on. They often seem to update with great results later, or you don't hear from them at all.... we can only assume those who don't come back have hopefully regrown their hair and likely moved on in life. I guess some men just aren't psychologically prepared for the process (even if they think they are) this can be with anything in life where changes happen 🤠

There's probably a lot of truth in what you say. I did not anticipate feeling this uncertain afterwards and questioning everything. I haven't had a hairline for several years so it's certainly a big change.

Thanks for your comments, I hope I am soon on of those men who moves on with life after a happy outcome 

Edited by cheesy1986
Added more text