HT regret

33 minutes ago, Marcus Miller said:

I've been lurking here for the past few weeks and I found your answer quite interesting... when you say the vast majority of HT doctors are not good that's quite concerning... would you be able to back up your statement with some numbers?

I almost went in a surgery not too long ago in a big well known Turkish clinic and I left when I saw all the red flags waving at me... RF that I blindly ignored... I'm not totally ready to share this crazy story, but I'm still trying to make my mind around this thing... would you say that 50% - 80% of HT doctors are mediocre to bad and where would you say they are a not good? Europe? North America? Asia? or is it global, because that's a big industry.

This looks more and more like a Russian roulette unless you have Tom Cruise's and Johnny Depp budget + connections he...

I don't want to hijack this thread and I don't have any numbers this is my opinion. But I went to a local doctor in Michigan and boy did I have regrets from that transplant. You can see the post in my profile. 

Using the recommended doctors list and other sources, there's no "good" doctor in Michigan, the nearest being Chicago and there's another good doctor in Ohio. But there's 100s of doctors in MI, OH, IN but unless you want to become a repair patient like happened to me; I would't go to any of those doctors. 

I'd say 80% in the US are below average. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

@Berba11 I agree, due diligence (which is much more than just checking Google reviews) is critical to getting a good experience. For me, due diligence was reviewing hundreds before & after pics from 3 doctors AND THEN getting quotes, recommended treatment, etc and making a decision. 

This method alone will excludes most doctors. Don't have hundreds of photos posted by patients and their unfiltered opinions on multiple prominent hair loss forums? NOPE! 

There's no data that can be pulled from this forum but I can confidently say most HT doctors in the USA are unknown or have bad reviews on these forums. I would assume most good doctors would be known to the HT community. I doubt there are "hidden gems". Therefore, most HT doctors in the US are unsuitable. If they don't have a public track record of success and the respect of the HT community; they are bad, IMO. 

• Like 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

This is the single best thing about the online HT forums.

Getting a list of forum-recommended doctors from real people who can share their photos and experiences with you.  

Whenever buying a product or service, it's always important to do even just a bit of research online about what you're getting.  Hair transplants are no exception, and since it's an actual surgery that affects your physical appearance (and not a replacable product like a laptop) it makes even more sense to do your due-diligence.

People here may agree or disagree on hairline design, strategy, maintenance, which doc is best...but the one thing that is unanimous is ensuring you have your transplant done by an IAHRS certified doctor with patients who have shared undoctored photos and reviews on the various forums online.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gatsby said:

The best thing about a hair transplant is that it is permanent. The worst thing about a hair transplant is that it is permanent. 

Very true. I really thought it was what I wanted, I've been considering it for 10 years. 

Now I've had one, all I see if bald and balding men who have accepted it and shaved their heads, and I just want to be one of them. 

Grass is always greener eh

• Like 2

Hi all, 

Bit of an update, I'm still having some doubts about my hair line and the shape of it. Appreciate all the comments I've had so far but to me it does look an odd shape for my face. It's not low in that it is 7.5cm from glabella but I do have a large head and it comes down quite a long way from the top of my head and is quite flat. I also don't like how it slopes downwards from the mid Central point to my temples when looking profile side on and it doesn't really match my temples that are quite receded. 

So overall, yes not too happy so far. I've been shaving the corners to give it a little bit of recession but in the long run I think having a few grafts removed could be the way to go. 

Hindsight I should have been more assertive with what I wanted, but I went with the Dr's design based on facial measurements and their experience 

Screenshot_20230407_220041_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230407_220136_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cheesy1986 said:

Hi all, 

Bit of an update, I'm still having some doubts about my hair line and the shape of it. Appreciate all the comments I've had so far but to me it does look an odd shape for my face. It's not low in that it is 7.5cm from glabella but I do have a large head and it comes down quite a long way from the top of my head and is quite flat. I also don't like how it slopes downwards from the mid Central point to my temples when looking profile side on and it doesn't really match my temples that are quite receded. 

So overall, yes not too happy so far. I've been shaving the corners to give it a little bit of recession but in the long run I think having a few grafts removed could be the way to go. 

Hindsight I should have been more assertive with what I wanted, but I went with the Dr's design based on facial measurements and their experience 

Like I said before, I can see what you mean, but I'm quite sure it will look perfectly fine.

• Valued Contributor

That second photo looks killer in all honesty. 

Give it time. It’s still so, so early in the process. In any case, there’s absolutely nothing you can do for at least 18 months: no good surgeon is going to do an assessment until at least the 12 month mark, and then you have to factor in the time it will take to get in-person consultations with 2 or 3 top Dr’s and then getting booked in with them… you’re probably looking at two years until you could have the hairline changed. So honestly, let the process play out and try to just get on with life in the meantime. 

• Like 3

• Valued Contributor

Mate honestly wait until it all grows out. It took me up until 8 months before I felt that my donor was Okay after my first surgery. Don't make any judgements (as hard as that may feel) until 12 months. Personally I like your hairline. 👌

just chiming in to say i feel the same way you do. my right side feels like it slopes down and cuts off my temple point as well. i always had more of a widows peak in my hairline and wish it ended up that way after surgery.

that said, we are both in the early stages. and from an outsider point of view, i think your work looks great. just have to keep chuggin along until we have some actual hair to judge! chin up man, you're lookin good.

• Thanks 1

Bruh.  You're nuts, lol.

It looks great, especially after only about 2 months.  

A friend of mine had a HT at around the same time as you did and his scalp is still pretty red and he retained less than half the hairs you currently have on your head (and he could care less, and is going out to restaurants and bars ha ha).

You need to drop the fixation about your hairline design.  It won't matter once your hair fills in with density and when you start growing it out with some length.  You should be fixating more on what hair paste or gel you're gonna want to buy to style your new hair.  

• 1 month later...
  • Valued Contributor
On 4/7/2023 at 10:07 PM, cheesy1986 said:

Hi all, 

How are you doing mate? 

On 4/7/2023 at 11:07 PM, cheesy1986 said:

Hi all, 

How long ago did you get your HT
Your design looks great. 

How is your donor looking?

Cheesy, the first 6 months after transplant are a good time to be excessively gentle with yourself. Don't keep a baseball bat in your emotional toolkit.

Or to use a rock climbing analogy -- in a year you're going to look back and realize your feet are where your hands used to be and girls are gonna be giving you looks that used to walk past you.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...