Favorite Hairlines

11 hours ago, sunsurfhair said:

Just did a quick search on it for transgenders and the two or combination of options are surgery and vocal retraining for feminization. So no, I don’t believe a medicine could do that. But people who transition use very powerful androgen blockers in order to transition (or visa versa). 

What are commonly used medications for transition?

In transgender men, or trans masculine people (FTM), the most common medication used for transition is testosterone.  Administration of testosterone (via transdermal, intramuscular, subcutaneous, or oral routes) lowers serum estradiol levels, raises serum testosterone levels, and results in the development of typical male secondary sex characteristics. Irreversible changes include: deepening of the voice, increase in facial and body hair growth, clitoral enlargement (clitoromegaly), and thickened facial bone structure.  Reversible changes include amenorrhea, male-pattern fat distribution, increased muscle mass, vaginal atrophy, and male-pattern baldness.  Some trans men also describe changes in emotions (e.g., inability to cry, increased anger) as well as increased libido.  Adverse effects can include elevations in blood pressure, polycythemia, worsening of lipid profile, elevations in glucose, elevations in transaminases, acne, and effects on fertility (although testosterone is not an effective contraceptive as it does not interrupt ovulation, so pregnancy can still occur).

Finasteride can also be used to prevent male-pattern baldness in transgender men, as it only blocks dihydrotestosterone (DHT), not testosterone itself; however this will likely slow or decrease secondary hair growth, and may slow or decrease clitoromegaly as well.

In transgender women or trans feminine people (MTF), the most commonly used medications are estrogens and anti-androgens. Administration of estrogen (via oral, sublingual, transdermal, intramuscular, or subcutaneous routes) lower serum testosterone levels, raises serum estradiol levels, and results in the development of typical female secondary sex characteristics including: breast growth, softer skin, decreased muscle mass, and female-pattern fat distribution.  These effects are largely reversible. Estrogen can also cause testicular and penile atrophy (ultimately resulting in potential erectile dysfunction and infertility). Some trans women also describe changes in emotions (e.g., more tearful) as well as decreased libido.  Adverse effects can include increased risk for thrombosis, elevations in blood pressure, elevations in prolactin (rarely including development of a prolactinoma), migraines, elevations in transaminases and effects on fertility (although estrogen is not an effective contraceptive).  Estrogens will NOT heighten voice pitch, decrease facial hair, change facial bone structure, or reverse male-pattern baldness.  Other methodologies would need to be employed (e.g., voice training, electrolysis or laser hair removal, facial feminization surgery, hair restoration, etc).

Anti-androgens (i.e. spironolactone, bicalutamide, flutamide, finasteride) are also commonly used in trans women who have not had an orchiectomy.  These medications block the effects of testosterone, resulting in decreased erectile function and allowing estrogen to develop typical female secondary sex characteristics. Finasteride, however, specifically targets dihydrotestosterone (DHT), not testosterone, so it is not as effective at lowering total testosterone levels.

GnRH Agonists (i.e. Lupron) could also be used instead of Anti-Androgens to block endogenous testosterone production. Lupron is typically given intramuscularly every couple months and is very effective at blocking total testosterone levels.  However, it can be difficult to obtain insurance coverage for it, and is otherwise fairly expensive out of pocket.

Progesterones activate the androgen receptors slightly, so may be used to improve libido and mood. in some cases, it may be indicated to maximize breast growth, though this is likely happening via weight gain. Of note, some studies show a possible increased risk for VTE, cardiovascular disease and/or breast cancer with use.

Not all transgender patients will want to take medications for gender transition and the risks, benefits and alternatives should be discussed with each individual along with their personal goals for transition to determine the right course.

Thank you for this! 

• Moderators

This is going way back, but Moe Howard, Shemp Howard, and Curly Howard (Three Stooges). These guys never lost any hair. Moe always had his hair cut in a bowl cut for the movie shorts, but he actually had great hair. Same goes for Curly who shaved his head for his role, but also had great hair.

Moe-Howard.jpg.f9f2c2985ea9aca76afee57fa5f7c807.jpg

shemp-howard.jpg.b11bc855a663ed34d19fbb1c3032640e.jpg

Curly_howard.jpg.f28c1d275966b2273f2b2b8040d5d177.jpg

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators

How about Tom Cruise. Pretty darn good for hitting 60.

tom-cruise.jpg.f0bd72128f2f01bdcb241ea9008fd7d8.jpg

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I don’t think finasteride is going to cause any feminine effects after puberty.

You can monitor your estrogen and testosterone if your taking it.

I tried the TRT route for almost a year my body did not agree, my T levels were all over the place. I was consistent with injecting 150mg a week. 

I stopped and took clomid three times a week and DIM to control my estrogen. Last blood work 935 total T and estrogen was like 140. At 51 this is great numbers. I do bloodwork once a year. Last test was in December 22. 

2 hours ago, BeHappy said:

This is going way back, but Moe Howard, Shemp Howard, and Curly Howard (Three Stooges). These guys never lost any hair. Moe always had his hair cut in a bowl cut for the movie shorts, but he actually had great hair. Same goes for Curly who shaved his head for his role, but also had great hair.

Moe-Howard.jpg.f9f2c2985ea9aca76afee57fa5f7c807.jpg

shemp-howard.jpg.b11bc855a663ed34d19fbb1c3032640e.jpg

Curly_howard.jpg.f28c1d275966b2273f2b2b8040d5d177.jpg

You’re telling me that bottom picture is not a fat Robert Deniro 

• Haha 1

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

You’re telling me that bottom picture is not a fat Robert Deniro 

image.gif

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
On 2/15/2023 at 10:48 PM, sunsurfhair said:

Rob Lowe is a good example of heavy Fin usage. He looks incredibly feminized to me now though. In his TV show 9-1-1 Lonestar, he did an episode where he said he gets Fin injected into his scalp every 6 weeks (mesotherapy), applied topically twice daily, and takes it orally. I also feel like he still had some HT work as well. 

image.jpeg.0e374ab8c75fdfaad76b58c274068ef4.jpeg

Jan 2023

I don’t believe finasteride feminizes you unless you take it prior to puberty. Plenty of men use finasteride heavily and don’t look feminine. I think Rob has never had a lot of facial hair, he has thin eye brows that could be perceived as feminine. Now, you combine that with botox and filler, which compounds it. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

On 2/16/2023 at 5:06 AM, Curious25 said:

I think 99% of holllywood are on either finasteride or dutasteride. 

It’s similar to pondering whether the likes of Chris Hemsworth or Huw Jackman take PED’s for certain roles. 

Multi billion dollar industry. You do what you’ve got to do. 

For sure.

7 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I don’t believe finasteride feminizes you unless you take it prior to puberty. Plenty of men use finasteride heavily and don’t look feminine. I think Rob has never had a lot of facial hair, he has thin eye brows that could be perceived as feminine. Now, you combine that with botox and filler, which compounds it. 

image.jpeg

He just looks so odd to me lately. Check it out. You can see he definitely lowered / closed in his hairline surgically. 

image.thumb.jpeg.51884111ff49c9a823db8f5e03cc7a1d.jpeg

image.thumb.png.537c60fde2a8fc9cf2f456a32605d079.png

38 minutes ago, sunsurfhair said:

He just looks so odd to me lately. Check it out. You can see he definitely lowered / closed in his hairline surgically. 

image.thumb.jpeg.51884111ff49c9a823db8f5e03cc7a1d.jpeg

image.thumb.png.537c60fde2a8fc9cf2f456a32605d079.png

he is 58. he uses filler. he uses botox

do you know who is exactly the same age? 

img_0681.jpg?fit=652,397&ssl=1

jeff bezos. i think we can rule out he ever touched fin. we cant say the same about botox and fillers. the results you can see above

On 2/18/2023 at 3:37 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

image.jpeg

Botox doesn't change the face (nor does it give a feminine look), it works by blocking the nerve signals of the muscles where is injected, preventing them for moving and forming wrinkles in the future. Is a very good anti ageing procedure, used in the right doses, combined with a healthy lifestyle and a proper skincare routine.

Fillers OTOH are a disaster. They are meant for soft tissue augmentation on lips (and even then, autologous fat works much better and is permanent), but the "filler mills" use it to correct skeletal deficiencies, like undereyes, cheekbones, jaw or midface (which should be corrected with surgery and/or custom made implants). This results in a feminized, pillow face most celebrities and influencers have. It's called "overfilled face syndrome", but it should be called botch.

Most celebrities don't make good decisions and end up uncanny looking and overfilled, not surprising since most of them also go to hair mills (ie: Akon or Floyd Mayweather, to name a few). Tbh, normal people that do some research get way better outcomes than most celebrities (ie: people researching about HT here, same happens with surgeries).

Ironically, most people that associate surgery with looking uncanny think about filler, when in reality fillers are not surgery. Well done surgeries are extremely natural and very hard to detect, even if the changes are big (like a well done hair transplant).

Edited by NegativeNorwood
  • Well Done 1

"Mature hairline" is euphemism for balding.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

he is 58. he uses filler. he uses botox

do you know who is exactly the same age? 

img_0681.jpg?fit=652,397&ssl=1

jeff bezos. i think we can rule out he ever touched fin. we cant say the same about botox and fillers. the results you can see above

That looks like Mickey Rourke without the wig

image.jpeg

View my thread

I think most of these guys had work done. At some point in all their lives they rocked a shaven head and that was always the marker for me.

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

2 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Surprised there is no mention of Machine Gun Kelly yet. While I dislike everything about him, there is no denying he has gotten a hair transplant and the work is amazing. 

mgk 2.jpg

Machine-Gun-Kelly14-7dd1388932c24d5686a788b6e04d2a62.jpg

Killer result. I believe he had two done and I think the first was FUT but didn’t go so well. Second was FUE which was a game changer for him. It’s pretty astounding