Dr. Bruno Ferreira - 2512 Grafts

SD1984

Do you have a photo of your juvenile hairline pre-hairloss? It's quite common to have a naturally higher hairline.

EDIT: Just looked again at your 1st post. Looks like a regular hairline in your aged 15 but drifting back slightly at 23.

500 grafts per 1cm lowered (or slightly less) seems on the low side. Measure the distance of the hairline (on most people, this would be in the range of 15 - 17cm), then multiply by 50 (number of grafts per cm2)

What is the distance from your glabella to your hairline?

I agree lowering it by 1cm is modest and is unlikely to set off any alarm bells, especially as you are working with a top-tier surgeon.

Edited by NikosHair
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hey guys. Two final pics below showing the results now well after one year. The surgery was a complete success for what it was in my opinion. I'll also say that it definitely took me the full one year (and even then a month or two after imo) to get to full growth and full maturing of the hair. For example the left side which at one point as late as 9-10 months was behind, now is perfectly fine. Sure it might not be a drastic change but not being on medication I had to be conservative and am extremely happy with how things turned out. Yes I absolutely WISH the hairline could be a little lower as that would make things a lot easier when it came to styling, but the reality is I only have so many grafts left to move from my donor, and not being on Fin makes me realize I need to not be greedy. I've had some amazing hair days ever since around the 1 year mark. I especially like letting the left side grow a little long and have the slight overhang to cover up the one side of my forehead which helps with the illusion of how big the forehead still can kind of be.

My second surgery is currently set for next month and the focus will be mainly on the midscalp with some strengthening into the forelock and corner areas. I'm about 95% sure I won't be lowering the hairline at this point, but sadly I'm still having a few final greedy thoughts... It will definitely be nice to have hair in my midscalp again though. I can't wait. Right now it can be tough where I have this great slick frontal third but then nothing directly behind it. Almost nothing to support it in a way. Also, while I'm looking forward to going into an amazing clinic and seeing Dr. Ferreira again, I must say I'm not at all looking forward to another round of recovery and the insane undertaking of it all. The traveling from New York, the sleeping upright, the washing, the being careful with my head, the pain meds in middle of the night, the hiding under a hat for a while after I return, the waiting for the donor to recover which last time took a solid 4-5 months, etc. I guess this time though things might be a lot better in the sense that since I already have a foundation of solid hair at my frontal third, after 1.5 months or so there will now be something there to work with as opposed to last time where I had to wait a good 3-4 months before I got there with the new grafts growing out. Is that fair to say?

Thank you all for following my journey.

IMG_9449.thumb.jpg.186240da7251ee6ad76df862fbc314ab.jpg

IMG_9448.thumb.jpg.80c293e5178c1c7f363c047ca7644650.jpg

• Valued Contributor

Hey @SD1984 your hair is looking great. I also found after my first procedure that I saw benefits in terms of new hairs and density up until almost 12 months. I wouldn't touch the hairline but that's a personal choice. Good luck with your upcoming second procedure. 👌💯

4 hours ago, SD1984 said:

I'm about 95% sure I won't be lowering the hairline at this point, but sadly I'm still having a few final greedy thoughts...

I'm exactly like you - high hair line/big forehead, had two successful surgeries and although tempted, decided not to lower my hairline at all. In my opinion, a different hairstyle would go a long way for you. Have you considered a longer style? I've been growing my hair for almost a year now, and it's made a huge difference for me.

4 minutes ago, shadowcast said:

In my opinion, a different hairstyle would go a long way for you. Have you considered a longer style? I've been growing my hair for almost a year now, and it's made a huge difference for me.

What do you mean? Longer style as in rock star long? Or Brad Pitt Once Upon a Time in Hollywood long?

On 11/5/2023 at 10:11 PM, SD1984 said:

What do you mean? Longer style as in rock star long? Or Brad Pitt Once Upon a Time in Hollywood long?

Whatever works, my point is that your hair is very short and you're styling the hair straight up in the front - both things will exacerbate your problem.

On 11/10/2023 at 6:26 PM, Calihome1 said:

Do you have any other pics you can post?

Though it doesn't really show the full extent of the frontal third, here is another pic showing just how natural and undetectable the hairline came out. Below that is a photo pre-surgery for perspective. Again, this was a very conservative procedure with a rather high hairline placement given the fact that my donor was somewhat limited and I knew I'd need at least one more surgery down the road (next month). The visual impact is not drastic and it wasn't meant to be, but I still beleive it has been a huge help after what was going on with my hair loss.

image.thumb.jpeg.2c8fe4295ec3f9995a7257eba72bca8f.jpeg

image.jpeg.48acf01fae75d9359882f994ea843072.jpeg

A few other final pics to share....

IMG_9690.thumb.JPG.e79f9d11066e5dce2a89f5e4f275357b.JPG

IMG_5054.thumb.jpg.f6b373e4f7ac127989bf33b17ad720a4.jpg

Right out of the shower, hair somewhat volumized by the shampoo. Looking great.

image.jpeg.079741dbe7f26e62a6f31eb86bacf2fd.jpeg

Great hair day(with product) ^^^^

Edited by SD1984

On 11/7/2023 at 10:48 AM, shadowcast said:

Whatever works, my point is that your hair is very short and you're styling the hair straight up in the front - both things will exacerbate your problem.

Could you elaborate a bit? I guess you mean the big forehead becomes more pronounced when the sides are short and the hair is styling upwards in the front. I have grown my hair out quite a bit before my recent haircut. I was starting to like it a lot actually, but then what happens at around the two month mark is the hair on the sides starts getting curly/wavy and I just end up feeling very raggy and just not sharp. If I had totally straight hair it would be great, but I don't. My hair also doesn't grow very thick or long at the temple point areas so I have this other problem where there is a contrast between that area and the traditional horseshoe-ish growth of the sides and back, if that makes sense. At the end of the day you have to remember I'm technically a Norwood 5V/6. Hair is not great. 

• Administrators

Looks good, any plans to address the crown?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 11/22/2023 at 1:30 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

Looks good, any plans to address the crown?

The short answer is no. I've been fine with using fibers or dermatch now for years just fine on a much larger portion of my head and won't have much of a problem at all just dealing with the (what will be much smaller) crown area once the second surgery results come about. SMP to the crown is also a possibility I am seriously thinking about down the road. 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 11:42 PM, GeneralNorwood said:

I think we have simillar balding patterns. On paper it is Norwood 3V but it has diffuse thinning with Norwood 5 traits (losing hair on the sides of midscalp). Though your front of the midscalp is stronger then mine. I went low with the hairline and now styling my hair is pain in the ass. Your choice to not go very low on the first procedure will provide lesser contrast between dense frontal part and thinner midscalp and crown. 

Did you try to take topical finasteride 0,1% or 0,25%? 

You regreat going low because the hairline is thicker/denser than the middle scalp?

Just like you, I went very conservative.
After for years, I decided to lower my HL (about 1,5 cm).

I studied hairline design for about 4 years and spent hours speculating about a conservative approach.
From my prospective, a thick conservative HL like we have makes the pace appear older.
If you see old people who "don't lose" hair, They have a recession in any case, but they preserve their hair.
A conservative approach tends to recreate this situation.