Calling all hair transplant savvies :)

Hello fellow bald(ish) dude! I'm brand new here, desperately looking for some tips or insights...

Ok so I have a Norwood 7 kind of baldness, with a mediocre donor area, so naturally I'm not really a good candidate for a transplant.

Thus  I'm not looking for a 'classic' transplant, rather for one that will create a buzz-cut look,really high on the sides up until the middle of the scalp, creating a "horseshoe" kinda shape,  but primarily focusing on recreating a hairline.

I've consulted with numerous surgeons with various answers (mostly negative, naturally..)

Anyway I still have some issues:

1. Did anyone ever hear about someone who had this kind of transplant? i.e. one that intended for a buzz-cut and nothing more? as I'm yet to find a surgeon who did one as such, nor did I encounter an example of someone who had one one..

2. So you might wonder why is finding a precedent is such a big deal. The thing is, I see a fundamental difference between a 'classic' and my kind of desired transplant - the density. When had started losing my hair back in the day, I shaved it, nevertheless people kept wondering why don't I grow it, as as it was viewed as if I could have grow it fully. That state of affairs had kept going for more than 15 years, to the point that I had left with just a few thin hairs, but spread in an optimal way (that state has changed following Covid).

So as I figure there's a huge gap in density combined with the lack of people having this (buzz-cut) as their goal from the get-go, might lead to pessimistic evaluations.

So basically, I'm looking for someone that might have any insight regarding the proportions in density

3. Is there such a thing as clinics/surgeons that happen to specify in Norwood7 cases?

4. Does my desire of not growing hair at all, on my sides and back, serve me in a sense that it's plausible to have each and every hair from there to be harvested?

5. Did anyone encountered a patient who had a successful transplant, with roughly my hair situation?

Lastly, I'm basically looking to have some kind of even minor differentiation between my forehead and my head (sadly havn't yet to find any SMP result that seem descent..). You know how some bald guys have this, this different ,darker hue, so the scalp doesn't seem as an extension of the forehead? I have an example in one of the photos attached...

Many thanks to the brave ones who survived thus far, really, can't thank enough

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-27 at 10.51.06.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-27 at 10.49.46 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-27 at 10.49.46 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-27 at 10.49.46.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-27 at 10.49.45.jpeg

Dr Sethi (Eugenix) and Dr Pitella are in my opinion the two best Norwood 7 doctors.

Can you share some photos of your beard? And how is your body hair too? 

I have seen one Norwood 7 poor donor comeback from a Pitella Patient, although it wasn’t as severe as you

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

1. Did anyone ever hear about someone who had this kind of transplant? i.e. one that intended for a buzz-cut and nothing more? as I'm yet to find a surgeon who did one as such, nor did I encounter an example of someone who had one one..

Yes, Dr Umar - look on his YouTube channel. 

2. So you might wonder why is finding a precedent is such a big deal. The thing is, I see a fundamental difference between a 'classic' and my kind of desired transplant - the density. When had started losing my hair back in the day, I shaved it, nevertheless people kept wondering why don't I grow it, as as it was viewed as if I could have grow it fully. That state of affairs had kept going for more than 15 years, to the point that I had left with just a few thin hairs, but spread in an optimal way (that state has changed following Covid).

So as I figure there's a huge gap in density combined with the lack of people having this (buzz-cut) as their goal from the get-go, might lead to pessimistic evaluations.

So basically, I'm looking for someone that might have any insight regarding the proportions in density

You have a huge area to cover, so ideally you would use a combo of scalp, beard, chest, and potentially back hair, alongside SMP. Scalp grafts should be concentrated in the frontal area. You need to express that you are looking for homogenous implantation with the aim of keeping a short buzz cut style. If you can get 2000 scalp grafts, and between 2-4000 beard grafs, along with supplementary chest and back hair - I think you will be able to achieve a result you’ll be happy with. 

3. Is there such a thing as clinics/surgeons that happen to specify in Norwood7 cases?

yes 

4. Does my desire of not growing hair at all, on my sides and back, serve me in a sense that it's plausible to have each and every hair from there to be harvested?

No. You will be left with very obvious scarring, and it will frankly look unnatural and awful. It is a strategy many have pondered over the years, and all surgeons shoot down immediately. Your donor looks very limited as it is, therefore stretching to retrieve 2000 grafts from there may even be challenging. 

5. Did anyone encountered a patient who had a successful transplant, with roughly my hair situation?

There have been a few in similar boats over the years. Your other sources of donor outside of scalp hair will be fundamental in your case, and will overall determine the success you are likely to have. 

Lastly, I'm basically looking to have some kind of even minor differentiation between my forehead and my head (sadly havn't yet to find any SMP result that seem descent..). You know how some bald guys have this, this different ,darker hue, so the scalp doesn't seem as an extension of the forehead? I have an example in one of the photos attached...

Recreating a hairline with scalp hair and reinforcing it with smp should solve this. 

All the best, 

11 hours ago, dove96 said:

Hello fellow bald(ish) dude! I'm brand new here, desperately looking for some tips or insights...

Ok so I have a Norwood 7 kind of baldness, with a mediocre donor area, so naturally I'm not really a good candidate for a transplant.

Thus  I'm not looking for a 'classic' transplant, rather for one that will create a buzz-cut look,really high on the sides up until the middle of the scalp, creating a "horseshoe" kinda shape,  but primarily focusing on recreating a hairline.

I've consulted with numerous surgeons with various answers (mostly negative, naturally..)

Anyway I still have some issues:

1. Did anyone ever hear about someone who had this kind of transplant? i.e. one that intended for a buzz-cut and nothing more? as I'm yet to find a surgeon who did one as such, nor did I encounter an example of someone who had one one..

4. Does my desire of not growing hair at all, on my sides and back, serve me in a sense that it's plausible to have each and every hair from there to be harvested?

Lastly, I'm basically looking to have some kind of even minor differentiation between my forehead and my head (sadly havn't yet to find any SMP result that seem descent..). You know how some bald guys have this, this different ,darker hue, so the scalp doesn't seem as an extension of the forehead? I have an example in one of the photos attached...

Many thanks to the brave ones who survived thus far, really, can't thank enough

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-27 at 10.51.06.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-27 at 10.49.46 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-27 at 10.49.46 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-27 at 10.49.46.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-27 at 10.49.45.jpeg

Looks like you have good facial hair. I think a combination donor areas can give you a fantastic look as long  as you keep it all short. 

I’m usually very, very pro-transplant, and think it’s a good idea for the majority of balding men by the 30s and thereafter. 

That said, this one is a really tough case. The problem is that having a shaved look post transplant is tough because the damage to donor is more noticeable when the hair is short. 

Sethi/Patella are your best bet. I personally like the work of Konior, H&W and Hattingen more, but they may not take you on. 

You can’t remove all donor hairs. It’ll look unnatural. If I were in your shoes, I’d just opt into SMP

• Valued Contributor

My worry is that even if you can get a surgeon to work on you that you will regret it in the future. Your big problem is that your parietal humps have dropped completely and the crown has completely gone and you appear (like myself) to have a large head. Also your donor does not look good. However it would still be worth having a consultation with Dr Pittella and Dr Sethi who specialize in Norwood 7 cases. The other thing you could consider (though I would never do it) is to have a hairline transplanted and to wear a hair piece. The down side to this though is that you will be married to wearing a hair piece for life. From someone who wore one for nearly 25 years I can tell you that you will eventually get sick of it. If you could embrace shaving your head (with/without SMP) that would be freedom. All the best!

• Like 1

Yep, I wore hair systems for approximately 11 years with HCM and it was a pain!…having said that, hair systems have come a long long ways and guys in the advanced class 7 category, a quality top notch system is the way to go for complete coverage.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Moderators

I am an extreme NW 7 with hair loss similar to yours except I had a hair transplant when I was a lot younger and still had a large donor area. If I was already at your point when I was starting I probably wouldn't use any scalp donor at all, at least at first. You have very little usable hair on the sides and back of your head. If you are looking to have a buzzed look, so you can get away with using less grafts, then you need to look at using beard and chest hair. Do you have a lot of hair in those areas? You don't want to try using any scalp donor because you don't want to be creating any FUE scars that could make it look worse rather than better. If you can get 8000 chest and beard grafts then you may turn out OK, but it's going to cost you a lot and take several years to get there.

If you don't use any scalp donor then it may be worth trying because you may not have much down time. Your head is already shaved, so you don't have to worry about having a shaved head after the HT, you won't have a bad looking scalp donor area because you won't be using that, beard donor heals very fast, so that's not a big issue. I've had several beard donor sessions and I go back to work in a week to 10 days without anyone really noticing. Chest donor is even less of a worry because nobody sees that in normal daily life. The only real down time/ugly duckling risk in this case depends on if you get a lot of redness in the recipient area or not. You could try a small session to test that.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators

As far as the design, you will need to build up the sides. You can't just add some grafts in the frontal 3rd to get a hairline that looks good buzzed and then have those very low sides. It would look OK if you were NW 6 with high sides and just got some grafts towards the front, but it will look silly and worse than you do now with nothing on the sides.... and believe me I know what I'm talking about here because I have that problem and I'm working hard to eliminate it because it is so horrible looking.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators

I highly doubt you will be happy with a hair piece. You don't have enough surrounding hair to support a decent look in my opinion.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

It would not hurt to get assessed for a full hair system, not a “hair piece”…there is a difference between the two.

This would require you to grow out your entire rim to a proper length to visually blend and tie everything together.

A top end quality system will not only provide the ability to adjust the level of density but it would also provide complete coverage front to back.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I only recommend this option for those individuals that are in an advanced class 7 and the only option that would produce a full head of hair…don’t feel like this is a decision you have to make until you at least get assessed.

Gillenator

I agree with those that say you would be a poor HT candidate. 

HT's are described as an illusion of density, unfortunately wont convince anyone, least of all yourself.

Personally I would beef up down the gym, add some thickness to your neck (it makes a massive difference to your appearance) and shave the remaining hair off.

You will no longer feel like a victim of hair loss but rather, a master of your own destiny.