Why people ignore the fact that finasteride can kill them?

SoSoz

9 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

They go away a lot of times but not all the times. It is an odd comparision by the way, I guess you do not take aspirin and ibuprofen every day. 

You were asking about FDA warnings within the drugs panflets, I merely presented you these as such examples alongside the fact that these are also present in any Finasteride purchased box. 

Also, permanent side effects only started being "reported" several years after Finasteride being approved for hair loss which I find extremely suspecious.  People have been using Finasteride for ages way before being approved for hair loss and no one reported these problems often cited in PropeciaHelp. 

I could go further in comparison but that's another tale. 

Edited by TheGreatPretender

• Valued Contributor

If people want to demonize a legal drug (that doesn't require a doctor's script) then look at alcohol if that's the agenda?. It's forum's that post anti 'FDA approved' meds for MPB that leave a lot of people feeling hopeless, depressed and ruining there lives only to regret not trying these same drugs years later. For what it's worth there was nothing when I first started receding and I was so depressed that I saw a shrink to save my life. Literally! If the hope of a drug like finasteride was around then (oral, topical, whatever) then those early years may have stopped me from being butchered and my quality of life would have been on a different level altogether.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

If people want to demonize a legal drug (that doesn't require a doctor's script) then look at alcohol if that's the agenda?. It's forum's that post anti 'FDA approved' meds for MPB that leave a lot of people feeling hopeless, depressed and ruining there lives only to regret not trying these same drugs years later. For what it's worth there was nothing when I first started receding and I was so depressed that I saw a shrink to save my life. Literally! If the hope of a drug like finasteride was around then (oral, topical, whatever) then those early years may have stopped me from being butchered and my quality of life would have been on a different level altogether.

You raise a great point. 

People do all kinds of things that may also exacerbate a lot of Finasteride's side effects such as smoking, abusing alcohol, practicing sedentary lives and not having a healthy diet. 

Taking Finasteride in comparison is a piece of cake to all those. 

• Like 1

Simple, the warnings on the medication are listed. It’s on you to take it or not. No one is forcing the medication down your throat. Also, Proscar has been perscribed since 1995, that’s millions of people on the drug for prostrate cancer.

I have been on Proscar then dustasteride since 1996. I have no side effects after 26 years. I had recent blood work and it’s solid in all aspects. Also, my psa is super low which is great as my father passed away at 65 from prostrate cancer. 

• Like 1

Mike I genuinely believe that you should just do what’s best for you my man, but I promise you, your erratic fear mongering on these sorts of threads isn’t doing any good for either yourself or the community. 

It’s taken myself over 8 years to understand that millions, literally millions, of men take this medication day in day out without any issue whatsoever, due to being suckered into the false perception that all it does is cause harm from threads such as this one. 

And for what it’s worth, mentally I’ve never been in a better place as an adult since starting it and stabilising my hair loss - and I’m sure I’m not the only one who this applies to. So perhaps it would be a more interesting conversation in the room to discuss suicide rates in the most image conscious society that has ever existed, if there were to be no hair loss solutions available. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

Just watch some TV commercials for any medication you can think of. They always tell you a long list of problems and complications you may have if you take it and a lot of times they say mention death. Right now I'm reading an over the counter pain reliever that I have at my house. It says "severe liver damage may occur" and this is over the counter (no prescription needed). If just taking something for a headache can cause death and people take it all the time, then why be so concerned only about finasteride?

Now I'm not saying everyone should be on it. I used it for about 11 years and stopped. I stopped about 13 or 14 years ago and I'm glad I did because I never wanted to be on any type of medication. I'm 55 years old and I am not on any meds, so I think that's pretty good. Too many people go straight to taking pills for everything instead of doing what they should be doing such as stop smoking, stop drinking, eat better, exersize, etc. With hair loss, though, there is really not much else you can do.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Unfortunately, I have come to realize that it is quite difficult to have a fair debate about the subject here. This is unlike the German Forum where the approach is more open minded and nuanced.Honestly I think the comparison with any other drug is off given the controversy that has surrounded Propecia. 

Some here also implied that I am personally  doing myself a disservice. Well to shed some light on my personal situation, I am only on PRP treatment since 5 years and my hair situation is stable . So personally this has been the right decision for me. But to be clear, my hair loss situation is not aggressive, so I am not suggesting this would work for others.

Maybe some final thoughts. It is also interesting that some Top Docs who are recommended everywhere  inclduing by this forum are not prescribing Propecia or only recuctantly so. If Finansteride would be so harmless, this would make no sense, right?  I guess there can be no absolute certainty to the long term effect and I have heard of folks getting sides after many years.    

4 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I do not think anybody has tried demonize the drug. At the end it is a personal decision. I just sometimes have the feeling that the picture drawn here is a little bit one sided.  

Mike, you make some fair points. I think on this forum you find a lot of old timers that have been exposed to finasteride pre internet and post internet.

I always find it comical on other forums when someone takes finasteride and a day later they have a cough and blame it on the drug. It’s ridiculous. I also think all the negative stuff written about it definitely effects your mood when you first start. The mind is incredibly powerful and I believe if you think you will get sexual sides it can happen just from performance anxiety.

I just advise to do your due diligence on this or any drug you take. I do not feel people push the drug on this site.

The drug has been used to treat millions of dudes with enlarged prostates for decades now, if it was going to cause a real threat of death, i'm sure a pattern would have well and truly emerged by now. People are going to recommended finasteride for hair loss, as it the one successful weapon we have in the hair loss battle and for the the masses it is generally well tolerated. If you read the side effects of paracetamol you would be so spooked. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bandit90 said:

The drug has been used to treat millions of dudes with enlarged prostates for decades now, if it was going to cause a real threat of death, i'm sure a pattern would have well and truly emerged by now. People are going to recommended finasteride for hair loss, as it the one successful weapon we have in the hair loss battle and for the the masses it is generally well tolerated. If you read the side effects of paracetamol you would be so spooked. 

but you do not take the para everyday. comparison seems off

• Face Palm 1

Oh man, wait until you read the leaflet for aspirin or Tylenol…

All joking aside, every drug has the potential for side effects- some severe. We need to be informed patients and learn as much as we can regarding the drugs we decide to take. We also need to put some trust in the prescribing physicians and the due diligence they put into the research they do themselves before prescribing a medication. It’s important to look at studies among other objective evidence and not go off forum anecdotes regarding side effects.

At the end of the day there is a risk in everything we do- including taking the drugs prescribed to us. It’s up to the individual to decide how much risk is appropriate for themselves.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Think about why soldiers shave their heads when they go to the army. They do it because it symbolises their loss of identity from that day forward. 

Good point plus we don't want our combat troops squabbling over the hair straighteners🙄

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just trying save some hair and not look hideous. It if kills me.... oh well I guess. 

Almost everything can kill you, I step into a car every day and there's a percentage chance that I can die in an auto accident. Been 15 years, still not dead yet. 

• Like 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

• Valued Contributor

Its not that taking finasteride would kill you instantly ..its not a poison ...there may be a chance of side effects but you can try a small dose and see if the drug suits you and than carry on with it accordingly ...i am a pharmacy owner myself...even anti inflammatory drugs,antibiotics, life saving diabetes and cancer drugs and many drugs have their side effects so that doesnt mean you dont take medicine when u fall ill or have some health issues ...and shud not think that all the fda guys are dumb or corrupt...and even all the doctors who are recommending it are corrupt ...i myself is on finasteride since so long...

There shud always be a measured  approach to evrhthn....and there is a proper dosage for evry drug...so there should always be a balanced approach..its not either black or white in evrythng..

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023