Why people ignore the fact that finasteride can kill them?

SoSoz

On my finasteride leaflet where they state side effects it says In rare cases breast cancer

Once you get gyno there is possibility of developing male breast cancer, you will have to live with that thought for the rest of your life. You can literally die just because you want to save your hair. You will have to get breast ultrasounds every year. Because breast cancer can only develop when there is gyno and you just can't ignore that fact. This would be totally stressful. Yes, this is very rare, but can still happen.

Edited by SoSoz
  • Face Palm 1

• Administrators

I think this is being sensational. Ibuprofen kills thousands each year, and not from a small chance of cancer.

https://kindredmedia.org/2013/06/ibuprofen-kills-thousands-each-year-so-what-is-the-alternative/

• Like 5

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

13 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

Non sense, not mentioned is the risk to mental health caused by hair loss. 

You call suicide non sense? Your dismissive attitude is totally out of line when there are actually people who have taken their life because of this medication. 

• Angry 1

10 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

You call suicide non sense? Your dismissive attitude is totally out of line when there are actually people who have taken their life because of this medication. 

There are also been people who have taken their life over lack of self worth which hair loss can contribute to. There are also people out there who severely regretted not getting on the medication sooner or people who regret dropping the medication temporarily (for example, trying to have a child) that could all lead down a path of low self esteem.

And he never said suicide is nonsense, don’t twist words.

I do agree though, it’s not nonsense. The medication does have risk involved and there are dangers, that shouldn’t be ignored and people should be aware of what they are being offered.

• Like 5

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

17 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

I’ve been on it for 3 years and it’s kept me out of deep depression. The article is nonesense because it doesn’t provide anything to back it’s claim. Millions of men all over the world are on this medication and some on various other things. 

you sound like a person who is more interested in argument than conversation. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

I’ve been on it for 3 years and it’s kept me out of deep depression. The article is nonesense because it doesn’t provide anything to back it’s claim. Millions of men all over the world are on this medication and some on various other things. 

you sound like a person who is more interested in argument than conversation. 

Nonsense my ass. The FDA is requiring the addition of suicidal ideation and behavior to the adverse reactions listed on Propecia's label.

24 minutes ago, mister_25 said:

There are also been people who have taken their life over lack of self worth which hair loss can contribute to. There are also people out there who severely regretted not getting on the medication sooner or people who regret dropping the medication temporarily (for example, trying to have a child) that could all lead down a path of low self esteem.

And he never said suicide is nonsense, don’t twist words.

I do agree though, it’s not nonsense. The medication does have risk involved and there are dangers, that shouldn’t be ignored and people should be aware of what they are being offered.

Well he should be a lot more careful using this term when people have actually  been committing suicide over this drug. Did it ever occur to him that this might be just be a little offending? I never doubted that this medication has helped a lot of people. My point is that this medication can be dangerous for some. Even if this is a minority my point still stands. 

Edited by Mike10

2 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

Well he should be a lot more careful using this term when people have actually  been committing suicide over this drug. Did it ever occur to him that this might be just be a little offending? I never doubted that this medication has helped a lot of people. My point is that this medication can be dangerous for some. Even if this is a minority my point still stands. 

That's like me telling you; you should be more careful posting baseless articles as not starting finasteride and losing hair can bring ppl to the point of suicide. 

I called the article non-sense, not suicide, that should be fairly self explanatory. If you at least posted something that showed numbers we could have a conversation. But it doesn't state any percentages or give any examples, while we have studies that show the risk of side effects are fairly low, and to the extreme ppl consider suicide even lower. You didn't actually accomplish anything, of course theres a chance that medication could cause ppl to become depressed, some anti-depressant drugs cause ppl further depression in the long run. In the end you say the medication can be dangerous for some, which was my point to begin with. 

49 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

The NHS guidance on the medication says that a rare side effect (<1 in 1000) is low mood / depression. I’d imagine suicidal thoughts are significantly less likely than that.

However, I’d agree it’s not something that should be ignored and the prescribing doctor should make patients aware, and consider any previous indications of poor mental health before issuing the drug.

21 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

That's like me telling you; you should be more careful posting baseless articles as not starting finasteride and losing hair can bring ppl to the point of suicide. 

I called the article non-sense, not suicide, that should be fairly self explanatory. If you at least posted something that showed numbers we could have a conversation. But it doesn't state any percentages or give any examples, while we have studies that show the risk of side effects are fairly low, and to the extreme ppl consider suicide even lower. You didn't actually accomplish anything, of course theres a chance that medication could cause ppl to become depressed, some anti-depressant drugs cause ppl further depression in the long run. In the end you say the medication can be dangerous for some, which was my point to begin with. 

Then it is still not clear to me why you call the article nonsense or baseless when it is just stating what action the FDA has taken with regard  to expanding the label. And I have never heard of a single person committing suicideover the fact that he is balding. Look, you may think that balding is the worst thing that ever can happen to you but when you have serious permanent health issues you would not even care anymore about your hair. 

I would also strongly disagree that sides are fairly low with Finansteride. Permanent sides I may agree with. But temporary sides are not rare at all

4 hours ago, Mike10 said:

Then it is still not clear to me why you call the article nonsense or baseless when it is just stating what action the FDA has taken with regard  to expanding the label. And I have never heard of a single person committing suicideover the fact that he is balding. Look, you may think that balding is the worst thing that ever can happen to you but when you have serious permanent health issues you would not even care anymore about your hair. 

I would also strongly disagree that sides are fairly low with Finansteride. Permanent sides I may agree with. But temporary sides are not rare at all

I think you might be missing my point. And saying that you’ve never heard of someone committing suicide due to hair loss it’s just an account of your own anecdotes, that wouldn’t make it true. 

it’s funny this came up because just ln I had a hard convo with one of my best friends who is a doctor himself. 

I’m not on here to be a fin shill and say everyone should take it, but your unsubstantiated fear mongering doesn’t help anyone who would receive benefit from it. My buddy was too afraid then to take fin on time, and 10 years later he still faces psychological problems due to his hair loss. 

25877EDD-756D-4FE3-92F4-6474E77FB8C8.jpeg

Edited by TorontoMan
  • Like 2

• How many fin users start the medication in some form of depression because of hairloss?
  • We then need to consider this group are already at a higher risk of suicide.
  • Fin maybe seen as a last resort to restore their hair and self esteem.
  • If that fails (Fin is not a magic bullet) this might be the to tipping point.

The issue is multi-layered but on balance the risk/reward is considered favourable.

As for the addition of multiple 'possible' side effects, remember we live in a highly litigious world, read ass covering by the pharma companies

• Like 2

• Administrators
  • Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I have zero doubts that a lot of suicides linked to the drug are in fact individuals with a low self-esteem directly caused by hairloss. 

It sucks that people really don't understand the fact that hair loss is depressive and for people who value their identity they aren't able to live with this curse. 

Think about why soldiers shave their heads when they go to the army. They do it because it symbolises their loss of identity from that day forward. 

I can speak for myself as I have exiled myself out of my country and friends just to earn money so I could finally have a chance of standing the good fight against this disease. If it wasn't for Finasteride you can bet all your horses that my depression would be a lot worse than it already is. 

Edited by TheGreatPretender
  • Like 1

At the end I agree that taking Finansteride is a personal decision as there is a risk/benefit analysis. Some here try to ignore it but PFS should not be denied:https://www.pfsfoundation.org/. Messing with your hormones produces strange reactions in some individuals. Just because you tolerate the drug well does not mean everybody does.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

At the end I agree that taking Finansteride is a personal decision as there is a risk/benefit analysis. Some here try to ignore it but PFS should not be denied:https://www.pfsfoundation.org/. Messing with your hormones produces strange reactions in some individuals. Just because you tolerate the drug well does not mean everybody does.

You "mess" with hormones everyday without even realising it. 

Anything that you ingest orally will always have an impact in your hormonal profile either good or bad that's up to the individual. 

There is very little scientific evidence pointing towards the permanent side effects and until there is actual proof taking anecdotals out I will remain a skeptical in that department. 

Also, a lot of people within those forums semm to have other problems besides hair loss or Finasteride side effects and of course it's easier to blame something on a drug then on yourself when things don't go as you wish. 

8 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

You "mess" with hormones everyday without even realising it. 

Anything that you ingest orally will always have an impact in your hormonal profile either good or bad that's up to the individual. 

There is very little scientific evidence pointing towards the permanent side effects and until there is actual proof taking anecdotals out I will remain a skeptical in that department. 

Also, a lot of people within those forums semm to have other problems besides hair loss or Finasteride side effects and of course it's easier to blame something on a drug then on yourself when things don't go as you wish. 

Well you have the right to believe whatever you want of course but you should know that causal effects like these are dammed near impossible to prove. There are enough credible reports for the FDA to require changes in the label. Many Drs believe PFS real. So does Spencer Kobren to my knowledge. More generally, there is a different vibe on other Forum like the German Hair Loss Forum on this drug. The lengths some are going through to defend this drug here almost makes me a little suspicious.   

22 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

Well you have the right to believe whatever you want of course but you should know that causal effects like these are dammed near impossible to prove. There are enough credible reports for the FDA to require changes in the label. Many Drs believe PFS real. So does Spencer Kobren to my knowledge. More generally, there is a different vibe on other Forum like the German Hair Loss Forum on this drug. The lengths some are going through to defend this drug here almost makes me a little suspicious.   

My understanding Is brief and simple. 

When/if side effects happen they do go away with time after discontinuation or alot of times with reduced dosage. 

The label itself warns about a small incidence of side effects such as in every drug, even aspirine or Ibuprofen have such warnings. This is because during the trials they found X people having side effects, so i am not sure what changes you mean when it's actually there in all panflets. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

My understanding Is brief and simple. 

When/if side effects happen they do go away with time after discontinuation or alot of times with reduced dosage. 

The label itself warns about a small incidence of side effects such as in every drug, even aspirine or Ibuprofen have such warnings. This is because during the trials they found X people having side effects, so i am not sure what changes you mean when it's actually there in all panflets. 

They go away a lot of times but not all the times. It is an odd comparision by the way, I guess you do not take aspirin and ibuprofen every day. 

• Like 1