Oral Minoxidil AFTER Surgery

Hi All- A few days ago, I underwent a 5,484 graft procedure at Eugenix (I will be posting in next day or two).

I had been taking 2.5mg of oral minoxidil prior to surgery and was advised to stop minoxidil 15 days prior to surgery- which I did.

Now that I am post-surgery...does anyone know when I can resume taking oral minoxidil 2.5mg?

Eugenix doesn't really promote minoxidil, so there was no definitive answer, although Dr. Pradeep said that I could resume now.

Please let me know if anyone has any experience with this and advice/instructions given by other surgeons. I just want to make sure that I don't do anything to disturb the grafts during this early phase.

Thanks! 

SLA,

The main reason why hair transplant surgeons and clinics advise patients to stop taking minoxidil prior to surgery is because minoxidil can thin the blood and that means extra bleeding during surgery.

The main reason why they tell you to not take minoxidil up to a couple weeks after surgery is because topical minoxidil can irritate the scalp. But you’re taking oral minoxidil so that’s different.

In your case, it was good that you stopped taking it prior to your procedure but since you are taking oral minoxidil and not topical, in my opinion you should be free to start resuming oral minoxidil immediately. That said, I suggest confirming that as I am not a doctor. But this is my understanding.

Also, I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again but I’m not a firm believer that oral minoxidil really does much of anything as topical minoxidil seems to work because it has direct contact with the follicle and then enters the bloodstream which is more related to side effects than actual efficacy. That said, by taking oral minoxidil you’re reversing the process by letting it into your bloodstream first and then hoping it hits the follicles.

There’s no real scientifically decide upon quantity that really works if at all so this is more of a speculation than anything else.  That to say, many people do swear by oral minoxidil so if you feel it’s working for you, then there’s nothing unsafe by sticking with it. But a lot of people who say it’s working are usually also using finasteride so I don’t know if they really know if it’s working or not.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

2 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

SLA,

The main reason why hair transplant surgeons and clinics advise patients to stop taking minoxidil prior to surgery is because minoxidil can thin the blood and that means extra bleeding during surgery.

The main reason why they tell you to not take minoxidil up to a couple weeks after surgery is because topical minoxidil can irritate the scalp. But you’re taking oral minoxidil so that’s different.

In your case, it was good that you stopped taking it prior to your procedure but since you are taking oral minoxidil and not topical, in my opinion you should be free to start resuming oral minoxidil immediately. That said, I suggest confirming that as I am not a doctor. But this is my understanding.

Also, I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again but I’m not a firm believer that oral minoxidil really does much of anything as topical minoxidil seems to work because it has direct contact with the follicle and then enters the bloodstream which is more related to side effects than actual efficacy. That said, by taking oral minoxidil you’re reversing the process by letting it into your bloodstream first and then hoping it hits the follicles.

There’s no real scientifically decide upon quantity that really works if at all so this is more of a speculation than anything else.  That to say, many people do swear by oral minoxidil so if you feel it’s working for you, then there’s nothing unsafe by sticking with it. But a lot of people who say it’s working are usually also using finasteride so I don’t know if they really know if it’s working or not.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Conversely they say that the mechanism of action that topical Minoxidil uses doesn't work for everybody as effectively because it can't get the sulfu transfase or whatever its called going, but taking it orally seems to activate it more and allow the Minoxodil to work. Yet its all a mere side affect of the medication and an accidental. It's never been a targeted treatment and then again, neither was Finasteride so, i guess if it works, then i'm on board for both versions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike10 said:

I tend to agree with the advisor.There is a lot of placebo effect given that oral Minox only works in 2 out of 3 persons 

Unfortunately we do need more studies by it's still considered somewhat more effective than Topical Minoxodil for those that don't see a response topically and i guess worth a go to those people. 

Again just hammers home why we need actual hair loss treatments, not a "Gold Standard" of accidents turned into so called hair loss treatments. 

• Thanks 1

I agree with Gats and using an oral approach (systemic) with minoxidil is fine post-op and will impact the hair follicles through the blood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Hey @SLA. I can't wait for your write up on your experience at Eugenix man. My 2 cents is that (and I'm no doctor) that you can start oral minoxidil (which I'm also on) after surgery. All the best Addy. 👍

Thanks @Gatsby!- I created a thread yesterday on my Eugenix experience. It’s the one that say ‘5,484 grafts’ in the subject.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2022 at 11:45 PM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

SLA,

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

I find it strange you often knock oral minoxidil, there are studies on it actually. It works for a large number of people (even seen in the recent New York Times article) and for me it’s great progress that people have discovered something that works so well that’s been under utilised all this time. For me it’s unfortunate you knock it seemingly just based on your speculation. I am not on finasteride and know others who are not and it has been the oral minoxidil that has not only regrown hair but stabilised my whole hair loss which is incredible for something cheap, easily available and with no side effects for me. Also you say you are not a doctor but oral minoxidil was recommended to me by my doctor and other ht doctors who have done a lot of research on the topic.

• Administrators

You cannot compare 5% topical to oral minoxidil, unless it’s 1mg. 2.5mg oral minoxidil and higher is vastly superior than 5% topical. 5 mg being the most effective. 

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13555-020-00448-x

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 10/22/2022 at 10:45 AM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

SLA,

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Lol. Oral minoxidil definitely works. And is more effective than topical. No doubt about it, the only thing to discuss is the risks which are minimal but maybe worse than topical which has almost none. 

We have to remember that every individual responds differently to various meds whether oral or topical…also, there should be some clinical trial comparisons done between the oral and topical forms.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY