Dr. Mwamba's FUE 2200 grafts work 7 months review

Dhcyoo

10 hours ago, Dillpickle123 said:

I think the hair there might’ve been affected by shock loss 

Please say more? Shock loss from existing weak minituarized hair? Or shock loss of the transplanted hair? 

On 9/6/2022 at 6:19 PM, HappyMan2021 said:

If your growth was more diffuse, i would say just be patient and that some of the grafts growth is slower than others

But the fact that your post op photos show a lack of implants in specific areas, and now these areas are not growing - unfortunately i do not think you can expect further growth

If its any solace - I know you are a 1st time patient. Its actually pretty uncommon to have a perfect end result after 1 surgery

It seems like plastic surgery advanced cultures like Korea have really strong thick density results in the first surgery. Is this 1+followup surgery a common thing in the states? 

19 hours ago, mustang said:

I am sorry to see the outcome is not that great, there were obvious signs of miniaturization where low density was implanted and these grafts can or won't survive a transplant, it happens all the time, even with transplanted hair. Are you on medication? 

I always tend to believe that those areas are best to be treated as they had no hair but he respected the native hair you had left and only implanted a couple of hundred grafts on each side on the circled parts.

1) Is this a good esthetical result?: No, you definitely need a touch up of 250 grafts per side

2) Did you have shock loss from miniaturized hair?, Yes, 100%. That is why your hairline looks dense and with proper growth and the connection is not there with your native hair.

3) Did you have good growth?: Yes, definitely over 90% which is the norm with any elite doctor.

You just had further hair loss and there is nothing and none who can prevent that, you will need to stabilize it with medication and get a touch up to blend in both areas, I have had to do it several times.

I hope Dr Mwamba or another good surgeon can give you the result you are looking for and deserve. 

So you're saying, he saw some native hair hanging out, even though they were miniaturized, and decided to not plant there to give the weak native hair chance? While I can appreciate his conservative approach, I wish that he had shared that approach with me and see if I want to be more aggressive with planting hair. 

Also, can you clarify what you mean by "i had further loss?" I don't think I had further loss in any of my areas - the areas that didn't grow, simply had no hair planted. And as you can see pre-post, there were no visible hair in circled areas that he didn't plant. 

As mentioned in the original post, I have been on fin for awhile and it's been working. So I don't think I'm losing hair.

On 9/6/2022 at 6:42 PM, Dhcyoo said:

Thanks for your response! As mentioned in my post, Dr. Mwamba was certain that he put less graft there because there were already hair in those areas, which I doubt because my pre-surgery photo does not show any hair in that region... So I'm having difficulty understanding what he means by that. I mean, I don't think he would lie to me and I do believe he provided the best work he can. Do others think that it might be true that there were more hair in that spot? Does his explanation of "shock loss" make sense (even though I don't see hair in that region in the pre-surgery photo?) 

I think the disconnect is that you still have miniaturized hairs and that when you have them short it’s hard to see, but perhaps when they’re long they become thinner smaller hairs. Those hairs may have some survival in the future it depends on their growth cycle and shed cycle. Not every hair is in the same phase so perhaps he saw under the microscope the phase the hair looks most appropriate to be. 

just take your time with the density. In my honest opinion if you can get him to touch up your procedure for free that’s a steal. I have seen him do a lot of peoples repairs in this forum when things go bad. So I would say based off those reviews you’re in good hands. 

perhaps the PRP sessions you get (if you continued) may help to thicken up your hairs a bit, but you would have to grow it out longer to know for sure.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

1 hour ago, Vann said:

I think the disconnect is that you still have miniaturized hairs and that when you have them short it’s hard to see, but perhaps when they’re long they become thinner smaller hairs. Those hairs may have some survival in the future it depends on their growth cycle and shed cycle. Not every hair is in the same phase so perhaps he saw under the microscope the phase the hair looks most appropriate to be. 

just take your time with the density. In my honest opinion if you can get him to touch up your procedure for free that’s a steal. I have seen him do a lot of peoples repairs in this forum when things go bad. So I would say based off those reviews you’re in good hands. 

perhaps the PRP sessions you get (if you continued) may help to thicken up your hairs a bit, but you would have to grow it out longer to know for sure.

I appreciate your explanation. It makes sense that minimaturzied hairs might be more visible if I do let them grow out -- he might have seen the weaklings trying to survive under the microscope, but it might not have been visible with naked eyes since I've always kept it short. So giving more time, the minituarized guys can thicken up, and hopefully fill in the patch. Then his reasoning makes sense for not planting as much in that spot. I mean, just thinking through, as a transplant surgeron who wants to give the result patients want, it wouldn't make sense to "not plant" just for the heck of it. I'm sure his reasoning was true that he did see potential hair growth there. I think what I'm faced with is the miniatruzed hair struggling to grow - and that's not visible because i'm keeping it short. So, thank you

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dhcyoo said:

I appreciate your explanation. It makes sense that minimaturzied hairs might be more visible if I do let them grow out -- he might have seen the weaklings trying to survive under the microscope, but it might not have been visible with naked eyes since I've always kept it short. So giving more time, the minituarized guys can thicken up, and hopefully fill in the patch. Then his reasoning makes sense for not planting as much in that spot. I mean, just thinking through, as a transplant surgeron who wants to give the result patients want, it wouldn't make sense to "not plant" just for the heck of it. I'm sure his reasoning was true that he did see potential hair growth there. I think what I'm faced with is the miniatruzed hair struggling to grow - and that's not visible because i'm keeping it short. So, thank you

Yeah that’s another perspective, but remember what you want isn’t always what you ‘need’ and it doesn’t always mean it’s best for us. 

While we may know ourselves the best, there’s no need to rush a cosmetic procedure. They take time and will never be perfect no matter what hands you’re in. Best case scenario you just need a little more work done. It’s sucks that it wasn’t added the first time, but at least you are giving yourself the best case scenario each time. 

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

On 9/8/2022 at 1:07 PM, RTC said:

Definitely a poor outcome, simply telling him to grow his hair longer is not a solution as there will be visible gaps behind the hairline. Some photos look much better than others though.

I guess all you can do now is wait and then either try to get Dr Mwamba to touch it up (should be for no cost in my opinion) or go elsewhere.

Completely agree. Some photos look much better than others. However, I believe you @Dhcyoo you will need a touch-up. You have great donor and you will end up having a nice result.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

Hey, if the temples will not close up then you should DEFINITELY get a free touch up. I also had a procedure with Mwamba about 2 months ago, so I can’t comment on growth so far. I just saw your thread on Reddit and you complained about the doctor and team not responding. I sadly have to say that I have been experiencing a very slow and uninformative service. I have barely asked questions yet. Once I asked if I could use minoxidil on the recipient area. The patient coordinator said he will ask the doctor and he will be back soon. No answer. When I asked again this particular question was not even answered 👍. Also After 1-2 months I received an e-mail where I was told to send photos from different angles and if I had any questions I shall fell free to ask them. I sent pictures and asked 1 question. Still after several weeks no answer. I have to say that this feels very weird and although I am not even in the growth stage yet I am starting to get worried because . This is very poor patient care. I hope they are just very unorganized, but after 3-4 incidents it starts to become UNACCEPTABLE. I paid 15 thousand euros ! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SteveUrkel02 said:

Hey, if the temples will not close up then you should DEFINITELY get a free touch up. I also had a procedure with Mwamba about 2 months ago, so I can’t comment on growth so far. I just saw your thread on Reddit and you complained about the doctor and team not responding. I sadly have to say that I have been experiencing a very slow and uninformative service. I have barely asked questions yet. Once I asked if I could use minoxidil on the recipient area. The patient coordinator said he will ask the doctor and he will be back soon. No answer. When I asked again this particular question was not even answered 👍. Also After 1-2 months I received an e-mail where I was told to send photos from different angles and if I had any questions I shall fell free to ask them. I sent pictures and asked 1 question. Still after several weeks no answer. I have to say that this feels very weird and although I am not even in the growth stage yet I am starting to get worried because . This is very poor patient care. I hope they are just very unorganized, but after 3-4 incidents it starts to become UNACCEPTABLE. I paid 15 thousand euros ! 

Yeah, their service is horrifying. I'm surprised how that is not mentioned in communities like this. I think more people should share experiences like these - we've invested so much of our resources and that cost deserves much better aftercare. The only way to get in touch with them is via call because they RARELY respond to your emails. I mean, at this point, I've known than almost over a year (from pre-op conversation till now) and that's been my consistent experience. And I had to do so much work trying to get their attention. I called Justine (the admin lady) to ask about my future checkup plans since they closed down NJ office (which I have no idea why) and all she said was "they're trying to revamp the American operation." And they said they'll get back to me next month about my followup/checkup visits. Given the track record, I feel like I'll have to call them again to see if they will give me a spot IN A MONTH. I told them I don't live in Atlanta, so I'll need to know well in advance so I can plan my trip (not to mention it'd be during winter/break time - horrifying time to travel just to get my hair seen by the doctor). Taken all together, doctor is a sweet/gentle/thoughtful guy. The team is lovely. However, the after service, including the communication has been unorganized and non-reassuring. Yes, the doctor had met up with me via whatsapp but that took a long time and I had to jump through hoops to make that happen. I'm surprised how Dr. Mwamba's team has been known to be elite here.  Also, I'd like to mention the surgery takes VERY LONG TIME compared to other places. It took almost 24 hours (2 FULL days until midnight) to do 2200 grafts on me. I was very confused and exhausted... He said he likes to take time to make sure it gets done well - great! I really appreciated that. Given the result i'm experiencing now (of course, we'll have to see the final result at 12 months) and the time/resources I'm experiencing... this has been pretty challenging experience. 

• Like 1

I agree with everything you have said . The experience at the clinic was good. Everybody seemed nice. But in the end the result matters and also how you are being treated afterwards. I understand how you are feeling. We are kind of in the same boat. But I also have to state that you were not “butchered”. And the excuse to just grow it longer is also not acceptable. But still if it doesn’t improve I would grow it longer on top and use a bit of toppik until you get the temples restored. 

By “not butchered” I didn’t mean that it is acceptable to have poor growth. I meant that you are not in the worst position and it can easily be fixed. Plus I think you can even make it look good until you get it fixed 👍  I will follow your journey , all the best 

Edited by SteveUrkel02

Hello guys, sorry for whats going all overall with your cases! I have met the Dr one on one in person...he is a great professional ! reading all this makes me nervious...i will have my surgery on the end of september in Brussels...originally was in NJ... hope everything turns well to all of us 👏🏻

Just thought i would chime in myself as a mwamba repair patient from the nj clinic who is 3 months post op.

I still have 50 or so badly angled grafts Mwamba - for whatever reason - couldnt or didnt extract during surgery. 

Im open to him fixing this during a 2nd round, just hope it would be free or a vastly reduced cost. 

I really don't want or need the horrible stress of a full on surgery, just to get 50 grafts exctracted.

Im hoping I can go to Mwambas Atlanta location, but im actually not 100% sure he is operating there. I feel like he still is...but unconfirmed. 

I went to Mwamba bc i really needed a top level surgeon to do my repair. And while i do think 90% of my transplant will be amazing, it still sucks its not 100% complete. 

The good news i guess is at this point, any "B-list" or higher doctor should be able to identify and extract these remaining grafts. 

So if i do need to get these extracted, my options arent limited to the few truly elite repair docs, i have a wider selection now. 

Still massively sucks for me to be so close to the finish line, and just having a few dozen bad grafts holding me back. 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

Just read my thread guys to see how my experience was with the clinc

I got like messages from the on WhatsApp when i mentioned in my thread that the communication with them was bad and poor and it was impossible to reach out to the doctor. The representative on that clinic Where like telling me on WhatsApp that they would respond to my accusation about the communication rather to help me. Sadly the people who are working with Mwamba are poor and i dont even think they are telling him was going on when you want to talk to the doctor. 

i got a bad experience with them and i am just glad more people are writing about this 

I had a great experience with them, all very nice, however, I am not a patient who needs any type of after care contact or service.

Couto and Feriduni never checked on me again after surgery, neither did Lupanzula, I don't recall any clinic every contacting me after but one saying you are now 6 months out etc...

I agree the service of My WHTC has to improve despite on how nice and ethical Dr Mwamba or there wouldn't be these complaints.

I hope they can improve on it.

A free touch up is not warranted imho here, whatever was implanted grew. 

7 hours ago, mustang said:

I had a great experience with them, all very nice, however, I am not a patient who needs any type of after care contact or service.

Couto and Feriduni never checked on me again after surgery, neither did Lupanzula, I don't recall any clinic every contacting me after but one saying you are now 6 months out etc...

I agree the service of My WHTC has to improve despite on how nice and ethical Dr Mwamba or there wouldn't be these complaints.

I hope they can improve on it.

A free touch up is not warranted imho here, whatever was implanted grew. 

“Whatever was implanted grew” might be true, but the noticeable gaps to the native hair must go down as doctor error. He clearly hasn’t calculated correctly and implanted enough grafts. I really don’t know how you can defend this and say a free touch up isn’t warranted.

• Like 2

i think this result is Unacceptable for 5$ per graft. When you pay premium prices you demand that everything will look perfect as an outcome. But here we can see poor growth in some areas plus shock loss of your native hair, so giving this outcome. I think you will need to do a repair procedure to other doctor..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FITA said:

“Whatever was implanted grew” might be true, but the noticeable gaps to the native hair must go down as doctor error. He clearly hasn’t calculated correctly and implanted enough grafts. I really don’t know how you can defend this and say a free touch up isn’t warranted.

Well according to him, we don’t know how hairloss and surgery works. Funny guy 

I suggest reading the Melvin thread on shills and trolls, if someone’s reply seems off and they seem to be unnecessarily defending a clinic over an obvious poor result then chances are they are a shill or with some agenda and it’s best to avoid them. 

I have noticed I was personally attacked in two different threads related to this doctor for simply suggesting patients should get higher care and results after paying so much money and perhaps even a free touch so there’s definitely something going here that’s not obvious to the eyes. If this result came from a hairmill, they would’ve exactly the same response as we did….something to think about 😉

Edited by LookMaxx
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, LookMaxx said:

I suggest reading the Melvin thread on shills and trolls, if someone’s reply seems off and they seem to be unnecessarily defending a clinic over an obvious poor result then chances are they are a shill or with some agenda and it’s best to avoid them. 

I have noticed I was personally attacked in two different threads related to this doctor for simply suggesting patients should get higher care and results after paying so much money and perhaps even a free touch so there’s definitely something going here that’s not obvious to the eyes. If this result came from a hairmill, they would’ve exactly the same response as we did….something to think about 😉

Well, I am sorry, but you don't.

I had shock loss several times (3 that I can remember) just behind where my transplant took place and ended up with gaps. I paid a lot of money to this reputable surgeon whom did a touch up on it and blended things nicely. Was it for free? No. It's not his fault that we continue to miniaturize or lose existing native grafts on surrounding transplanted tissue.

That does not mean I am defending a poor outcome or planification, in fact I the opposite is true, I believe that those areas should be treated as if they had no grafts left because there is a risk that it can happen.

Patients should definitely get a higher care from this clinic, I completely concur with you on that as well.

I support Dr Mwamba for his great work and results with me but I am not going to defend a bad outcome or bad after care service, a little communication goes a long way.

I second what I said, the implanted grafts grew well, the aesthetic outcome is not good because of reasons we all understand. You can get a free touch up on grafts that did not grow which is anything below 90%, that did not happen here apparently. 

First less than ideal Mwamba result I've seen. Very unfortunate. I think even if it was shock of native hair, a touch-up ought to have been offered, as it doesn't rise to his usual standards. It's either a case of lack of growth (doubtful) or poor planning - both warrant a discussion to solve this itssue.

The lack of communication is very concerning, especially now that 3 different people have stepped up. It's really a shame -- Mwamba is a super nice fellow and usually is as near a surefire guarantee of a good result, but the office really needs to get its act together. Patients shouldn't be strung along like that at all.

I hope you can reach some resolution.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 10:52 AM, Dhcyoo said:

Yeah, their service is horrifying. I'm surprised how that is not mentioned in communities like this. I think more people should share experiences like these - we've invested so much of our resources and that cost deserves much better aftercare. The only way to get in touch with them is via call because they RARELY respond to your emails. I mean, at this point, I've known than almost over a year (from pre-op conversation till now) and that's been my consistent experience. And I had to do so much work trying to get their attention. I called Justine (the admin lady) to ask about my future checkup plans since they closed down NJ office (which I have no idea why) and all she said was "they're trying to revamp the American operation." And they said they'll get back to me next month about my followup/checkup visits. Given the track record, I feel like I'll have to call them again to see if they will give me a spot IN A MONTH. I told them I don't live in Atlanta, so I'll need to know well in advance so I can plan my trip (not to mention it'd be during winter/break time - horrifying time to travel just to get my hair seen by the doctor). Taken all together, doctor is a sweet/gentle/thoughtful guy. The team is lovely. However, the after service, including the communication has been unorganized and non-reassuring. Yes, the doctor had met up with me via whatsapp but that took a long time and I had to jump through hoops to make that happen. I'm surprised how Dr. Mwamba's team has been known to be elite here.  Also, I'd like to mention the surgery takes VERY LONG TIME compared to other places. It took almost 24 hours (2 FULL days until midnight) to do 2200 grafts on me. I was very confused and exhausted... He said he likes to take time to make sure it gets done well - great! I really appreciated that. Given the result i'm experiencing now (of course, we'll have to see the final result at 12 months) and the time/resources I'm experiencing... this has been pretty challenging experience. 

They are not in Atlanta anymore.

2 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

He is Joshua and works for them. He is also trying to sell and promote the DUT from the clinic on other forums such HairlossTalk but a lot of people exposed him pretty fast there.

so dont worry if he attacks you

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Ajamilo said:

He is Joshua and works for them. He is also trying to sell and promote the DUT from the clinic on other forums such HairlossTalk but a lot of people exposed him pretty fast there.

so dont worry if he attacks you

The communication interface for this forum is really confusing and unintutive - @Ajamilo, would you write down the screenname/ID of the Joshua guy who works for Dr. Mwamba? I'd love to have a chat with him.