Botched Hairtransplantion by HLC clinic in Ancara

Yeah as a patient paying thousands of dollars for a permanent surgery .. u would expect the clinic to do a biopsy , check the density of ur hair ,, n so forth ..  

That’s what I expected too ,, when I drove 2 hours to a ht clinic .. hoping they would do those things .. the surgeon spent 15 minutes with me n gave me a quote of how much it would cost .. 

so nah , do ur research ,. N don’t be a naive patient .. only ur real doctor will do a biopsy ,, n most clinics don’t even have the tool or want to use the hair diameter thing.. they just take a brief look at ur scalp , n give u 15-30 minutes of their time .. that’s the reality of it .. 

it’s the norm ., unfortunately.. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RTC said:

The silence from HLC is deafening. 

I don't remember ever reading an answer from them here in the past.

Edited by ITA
  • Like 1

EDIT: the reason for sharing this is because many people on this thread are discussing the ethics of HLC. While it’s undesirable to travel to Turkey only to find out that your donor area is too depleted to have an aesthetically-pleasing transplant, I contend that an unethical doctor would proceed with the transplant at the expense of the patient while the ethical doctor would be radically honest—and send the patient home without a procedure.

Also, we don’t know what happened during the consultation. We can speculate, but let’s not get into conjecture.

Edited by Raskolnikov
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

23 year old American here. I am sitting in my hotel room next to HLC. I had 3005 grafts implanted on Wed/Thu. On Wednesday morning, I was instructed to go to breakfast at 7:30 am before the consultation and procedure. At breakfast, I sat with a 39 year old man from France. We chatted in broken English. He told me that he was planning to have 5000 grafts implanted over a period of three days. After breakfast, we both had our consultations. He went first. When he walked out of the room and it was my turn, I could see that he was visibly upset. As I would later find out from the patient coordinator, Ebru, the HLC doctors told him they wouldn’t operate on him because his donor area was too depleted. Sure, it sucks that this man came to Turkey for nothing, but I assure you that Dr. Ozgur and the team of doctors are very professional and run a tight ship—they aren’t here to steal anyone’s money.

This major red flags, why would they quote him 5000 grafts .. then have him pay for his trip n now say they can’t do none ? They should of done their due dilligence n gave him a proper quote then .. if the picture aren’t great they could had him send a video or better pictures.. I be pissed as hek if I was that guy .. 

is his donor that fukked up in real life .. than on pictures where they can’t even do 1500-2000 grafts? Since he’s already there.. this is bad practice.  Not a sign of an ethical doctor..

but they ethical enough to do 3000 grafts on a 23 year old .. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

23 year old American here. I am sitting in my hotel room next to HLC. I had 3005 grafts implanted on Wed/Thu. On Wednesday morning, I was instructed to go to breakfast at 7:30 am before the consultation and procedure. At breakfast, I sat with a 39 year old man from France. We chatted in broken English. He told me that he was planning to have 5000 grafts implanted over a period of three days. After breakfast, we both had our consultations. He went first. When he walked out of the room and it was my turn, I could see that he was visibly upset. As I would later find out from the patient coordinator, Ebru, the HLC doctors told him they wouldn’t operate on him because his donor area was too depleted. Sure, it sucks that this man came to Turkey for nothing, but I assure you that Dr. Ozgur and the team of doctors are very professional and run a tight ship—they aren’t here to steal anyone’s money.

Happy you can assure me about this and that you are running a tight ship. Omega5 is new to this forum too and he knows another patient with the same problem too, from america. Do you have any proof from what you are saying? Because i think i have prooved everything i have said.

22 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

This major red flags, why would they quote him 5000 grafts .. then have him pay for his trip n now say they can’t do none ? They should of done their due dilligence n gave him a proper quote then .. if the picture aren’t great they could had him send a video or better pictures.. I be pissed as hek if I was that guy .. 

is his donor that fukked up in real life .. than on pictures where they can’t even do 1500-2000 grafts? Since he’s already there.. this is bad practice.  Not a sign of an ethical doctor..

Good points

1 hour ago, Legend007 said:

agree with all this so much. 

While it is true an in-person consult is alot more revealing than looking at pictures, HLC should have had enough knowledge or more prequalifiers before having the man plan and adjust his life schedule in anticipation of surgery and international travel. 

If HLC had any doubt based on the man's photos, they should have had him fly to Turkey solely for an in-person consult. 

2 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

23 year old American here. I am sitting in my hotel room next to HLC. I had 3005 grafts implanted

I sincerely wish you an amazing outcome @Raskolnikov but this is just as much a red flag as getting rejected from surgery at the very last minute. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend007 said:

Let’s see here…

Why would they quote him 5000 grafts? Because he was basically bald from the hairline all the way to the crown. I saw it myself—it looked bad. To quote him anything less would be a job half-done.

Sure, in hindsight it’s easy to say that they should have asked for better pictures/videos of the donor. Even so, it’s very difficult to tell by pictures/videos alone. This is a risk that each of us incurs when we choose to travel abroad for a hair transplant.

Lastly, and most importantly: the sunk cost fallacy. Why didn’t they at least do 1500-2000 grafts since he’s “already there”? Again, 1500-2000 grafts wouldn’t suffice for his level of baldness. Assuming he booked his flights a few months in advance, and with the knowledge that he took a direct flight from Paris to Ankara (he told me so), his roundtrip tickets could be as low as $212. If anything, he is incredibly lucky that they had the integrity to not do anything to his head, even if it is undesirable for both parties.

https://www.google.com/travel/flights/booking?tfs=CBwQAhpJagwIAxIIL20vMDVxdGoSCjIwMjItMTEtMDNyCwgDEgcvbS8wanl3IiAKA09SWRIKMjAyMi0xMS0wMxoDRVNCKgJUTzIEMzI5MBpJagsIAxIHL20vMGp5dxIKMjAyMi0xMS0xN3IMCAMSCC9tLzA1cXRqIiAKA0VTQhIKMjAyMi0xMS0xNxoDT1JZKgJUTzIEMzI5MXABggELCP___________wFAAUgBmAEB&tfu=CmxDalJJY1VneVpIaGxVbmc0UlZWQlRVZ3hTMUZDUnkwdExTMHRMUzB0TFhkemRXUXhOMEZCUVVGQlIweDBVMDVOUmxSclZVRkJFZ1pVVHpNeU9URWFDd2pWbnhjUUFob0RWRkpaT0J4dzVxVUISAggB

• Like 1

@Raskolnikovthanks for sharing. It appears to me HLC can never do well enough to meet anyones standards on what is ethical. 

The patient who was rejected lost out on a $200 ticket, and his arrangements and expectations were not met.
HLC not only lost out on a $12K procedure, or even half that. Heck they burned that 3 day slot to earn a grand total of $0, well below the $12k revenues they expected to receive that week from said patient. It was also inconvenient to reject him last minute, as I’m sure HLC couldn’t fill that slot with a replacement patient. But they felt that it was more important to not operate. 

Yet HLC is still getting the blame for wasting his time, but no credit for doing the right thing. Classic.

Edited by TrustTheProcess
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Let’s see here…

Why would they quote him 5000 grafts? Because he was basically bald from the hairline all the way to the crown. I saw it myself—it looked bad. To quote him anything less would be a job half-done.

Sure, in hindsight it’s easy to say that they should have asked for better pictures/videos of the donor. Even so, it’s very difficult to tell by pictures/videos alone. This is a risk that each of us incurs when we choose to travel abroad for a hair transplant.

Lastly, and most importantly: the sunk cost fallacy. Why didn’t they at least do 1500-2000 grafts since he’s “already there”? Again, 1500-2000 grafts wouldn’t suffice for his level of baldness. Assuming he booked his flights a few months in advance, and with the knowledge that he took a direct flight from Paris to Ankara (he told me so), his roundtrip tickets could be as low as $212. If anything, he is incredibly lucky that they had the integrity to not do anything to his head, even if it is undesirable for both parties.

https://www.google.com/travel/flights/booking?tfs=CBwQAhpJagwIAxIIL20vMDVxdGoSCjIwMjItMTEtMDNyCwgDEgcvbS8wanl3IiAKA09SWRIKMjAyMi0xMS0wMxoDRVNCKgJUTzIEMzI5MBpJagsIAxIHL20vMGp5dxIKMjAyMi0xMS0xN3IMCAMSCC9tLzA1cXRqIiAKA0VTQhIKMjAyMi0xMS0xNxoDT1JZKgJUTzIEMzI5MXABggELCP___________wFAAUgBmAEB&tfu=CmxDalJJY1VneVpIaGxVbmc0UlZWQlRVZ3hTMUZDUnkwdExTMHRMUzB0TFhkemRXUXhOMEZCUVVGQlIweDBVMDVOUmxSclZVRkJFZ1pVVHpNeU9URWFDd2pWbnhjUUFob0RWRkpaT0J4dzVxVUISAggB

You seem to know everything about this patient and what the doctors did. How do you know all this stuff? Were you there by his consulting too? I have to ask you again, do you have any proof of what you are saying and who you are?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Let’s see here…

You speak like a clinic consultant.  But it certainly isn't.  Could you open your own thread here?  It would help many.  Thx

• Like 2

I’m sorry, I still can’t comprehend how a clinic is able to guesstimate 5000 grafts they can extract .. 

but end up saying they can’t do none..

who was viewing those pictures ? Just the salesman ? Even a regular person on this forum won’t make a Mistake of 5000 grafts …

I understand if they ended up saying they were wrong n can only do 2000-3000 grafts not 5000… that’s understandable ..

but to make a mistake of 5000 grafts ,, I bet u the surgeon never viewed those pictures then .. just the sales consultant..

who’s to blame here? But yet u want us to say yeah they did a great job by not giving him surgery .. they should of told him that In the first place .. n no it’s not just  a $200 plane trip, vacation time was planned . Time and energy to travel there n months of planning went into planning a surgery for someone .. so please don’t say the clinic did a good thing here .. I call it negligence. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, michael hofmann said:

do you have any proof of what you are saying and who you are?

I have to assume Raskol is a real person. 

If HLC were to create a fake/shill account, why would they pretend to be a 23 yr old getting 3k grafts? That does not portray them in a good light 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Administrators

Guys,

This thread is going off the rails. At this point @michael hofmann I suggest posting monthly updates. You are still at 6 months, while the results look lackluster right now. It’s too soon to say it’s a failure. Let’s keep this thread on track and used to track the result or lack thereof. 

• Like 7

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

26 minutes ago, TrustTheProcess said:

@Raskolnikovthanks for sharing. It appears to me HLC can never do well enough to meet anyones standards on what is ethical. 

The patient who was rejected lost out on a $200 ticket, and his arrangements and expectations were not met.
HLC not only lost out on a $12K procedure, or even half that. Heck they burned that 3 day slot to earn a grand total of $0, well below the $12k revenues they expected to receive that week from said patient. It was also inconvenient to reject him last minute, as I’m sure HLC couldn’t fill that slot with a replacement patient. But they felt that it was more important to not operate. 

Yet HLC is still getting the blame for wasting his time, but no credit for doing the right thing. Classic.

There could be improvements on how HLC should have acted in this scenario but overall the outcome was right. If HLC believes that he was not good a hair transplant candidate for HLC as a clinic then he should leave and perhaps try somewhere else. Sounds like he would fair well at Eugenix.

Also its probably really crushing for the potential patient as travelling overseas in the anticipation for a hair transplant to restore confidence only to be told that its not going to happen is pretty bad. These scenarios should be avoided from the start.

I think the criticisms that line up with this example and that lineup with Michaels is that HLC should of request more information / clearer photos if they are unable to determine if they are a candidate or not. In that patients case, HLC should of requested clearer photos under clearer conditions. In Michaels case, they should of requested a scalp biopsy or tests related to his scalp eczema and dermatitis to determine why he had a subpar first result.

6 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

who’s to blame here? But yet u want us to say yeah they did a great job by not giving him surgery .. they should of told him that In the first place

Spot on.

11 hours ago, RTC said:

The silence from HLC is deafening. 

Its actually quite shocking to be honest. After reading through this thread I discovered a patient known as EvansLawrence. When reading this thread I came across this quote:

On 3/17/2022 at 12:33 AM, EvansLawrence said:

He mentiom about me "saying lies about the clinic on social media" which is not truth. I have a spanish friend who goes by mesiasss4 on youtube and we shared by our point of view my process on HLC. Sharing your opinion on youtube or here is just part of our rights and freedom. As long as I dont lie everything is ok, cause you can agree or disagree just as people agree with me here and others dont. And its just fine. 

This post has gotten four pages of responses within two days. You would think that HLC would come in and explain themselves considering this is a hot topic showing them in a negative light. If they knew anything about Evans Lawrence result which didn't go crazy like this one, then they would absolutely know about what's going on here.

• Like 3

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

• 4 weeks later...

I do not know why some people defends Hlc ankara, i also had a poor results from them. They also overharvested my donor, very poor donor managemnt, they only care to took their number of grafts. The survival was also poor, maybe 40-50%. I do not recomand this clinic either.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mike8000fue said:

I do not know why some people defends Hlc ankara, i also had a poor results from them. They also overharvested my donor, very poor donor managemnt, they only care to took their number of grafts. The survival was also poor, maybe 40-50%. I do not recomand this clinic either.

Post your results so it helps others 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...