What concealer would you use for this hair type?

Hi HRN,

I've never used concealers before and would like to give it a try. I watched Melvin's video and a few others on YouTube but feel slightly overwhelmed - from what I've seen dermmatch may be the best fit (although a little pricey). I want to get the colour right as my hair is not quite blonde and not quite brown. The last pic is dermmatch 'light brown'.

Anyone have a recommendation for brand/colour? Thanks.

IMG_7144.JPG

IMG_7146.JPG

IMG_7147.JPG

IMG_7149.JPG

DermMatch_Light_Brown.jpg

Edited by rob7331

Follow my second hair transplant journey below

Caucasian - 4613 Grafts - Eugenix, Dr. Arika Bansal

On 7/5/2022 at 2:57 AM, Gatsby said:

I would say that as you are (I imagine) covering a large area that hair fibres would be the best bet. At the end of the day it really is a trial and error situation to what you think works best. Wishing you all the best!

What is the correct way. Use the hair spray before or after hair fibres? If one want to use other products too, is it after or before all that hehe? :)

On 7/6/2022 at 3:51 PM, jjsrader said:

Dermatch or another 'matte'-based colorant 1st - (then if you want paste/thickener/mousse) - then fibers - then spray.

Whats the reasoning behind dermmatch and then covering with fibers? Also what does the spray do I'm kind of a noobie to concealer. I usually just cover my spots with Caboki and let it ride

1 hour ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Whats the reasoning behind dermmatch and then covering with fibers? Also what does the spray do I'm kind of a noobie to concealer. I usually just cover my spots with Caboki and let it ride

Dermmatch coats the whole hair shaft if you apply it properly. The hair fibers cling to the hair shafts. You run the risk of a messier, more muddled look sprinkling the hair fibers first and then coating the hairs with the dermmatch. 

Best method:

1)Let the hair dry first, and apply the dermmatch dry too. Seems intuitive to wet the applicator, but it actually applies better without any water.  

2)Comb the dermmatch into your hair, and before you apply the hair fibers, rub a little hand towel or tissue over your hair to remove any excess dermmatch that may make your hair appear to be dull. 

3) Apply the hair fibers and comb them in. If you use alot of hair fibers too, or think you may have sprinkled on too much, bend over and shake your head to get off any lose fibers. You don't want to embarrass yourself by moving around during the day and some of the fibers falling down on your shirt or some furniture.

4) Apply spray -hair styling spray that is, to hold everything in place until you are done for the day and wash it out. Its better not to risk using your hands or a comb during the day if you are out and about.

• Like 1

To the OP,  light brown looks alright, and you may want to consider dying your hair lighter as well. Xfusion hair fibers are cheaper than Toppik brand and work just as good in my experience. Dermmatch seems to be having stocking issues currently, at least in terms of getting it through amazon.com. Seems you can still get them directly from dermmatch below:

https://www.dermmatch.com/order/

And here's to those hair fibers

https://www.amazon.com/XFusion-Regular-Keratin-Fibers-Brown/dp/B005FTH3W4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1P76HUEADKELP&keywords=xfusion%2Bfibers&qid=1657413709&sprefix=xfusion%2Bfibers%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNDhOODVIUjZPVFpWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDQxMjMwMjQ5QldCVFo5R0NHQSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTAxMDY3R0VaMzJYS05DMlgmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

image.png.9eef837851531ce58518532d1d1d0a4c.png 

1 hour ago, ciaus said:

Dermmatch coats the whole hair shaft if you apply it properly. The hair fibers cling to the hair shafts. You run the risk of a messier, more muddled look sprinkling the hair fibers first and then coating the hairs with the dermmatch. 

I was more asking why you would use both combined, as opposed to just 1? 

15 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I was more asking why you would use both combined, as opposed to just 1? 

For better overall coverage with minimal product of every kind.

-Starting with the dermmatch, or products like it that work just as well if there are some, you not only coat existing thinning hairs with product to make them appear thicker and more visible, you also rub the applicator on the more exposed scalp skin itself. This will reduce the contrast in color between the more exposed scalp skin areas and the areas with thicker more visible hairs you still have. Very important for achieving the 'illusion' of having no thinning. 

While you can accomplish this to some degree with just hair fibers, there's always a risk you apply extra hair fibers that are not effectively 'stuck' as well to the scalp skin and hairs. Which means there's a better chance for them to fall off during the day during your casual movements. And maybe nobody notices that excess product falling off onto your clothing or furniture, but if it does fall off even undetectably, that means your thinning areas will be more exposed and more likely to draw unwanted attention.

In the final analysis, hair fibers don't adhere to the head as well as products like dermmatch that are effectively 'painted' on with an applicator, instead of just 'sprinkled' on. But the hair fibers are still useful because they give you an additional layer of 'coverage' to create the illusion of density.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been worried about my hair color for a long time cause I've found some excellent products that preserve the color and eliminate the yellow tint. Experienced hairdressers know how difficult it's to find a brightening mask for platinum blonde. I tried many different serums and masks until one hair stylist recommended Silverati TREATMENT MASQUE. The treatment immediately nourishes and softens to help improve manageability. I believe this is the unique product on the market right now.

Edited by CarylFairhurst

• 5 weeks later...