Earliest You Drank Alcohol?

What is the earliest that you guys started drinking alcohol after your HT procedures? And did you have success with your HT?

I’m curious because my doc said to abstain from alcohol for 72 hours. I had 1 beer on day 5, one beer on day 10, and one beer on day 12.  But then you see many doctors and online articles saying it must be abstained from for 14 days.

so although I followed my docs instructions, I’m having anxiety that I might’ve messed it up. Would love to hear others’ experiences with alcohol.

thanks!

Just now, deeznuts said:

I honestly don't think it makes that much of a difference. It's a very minor detail and fwiw, what's done is done. 

Ya ain’t wrong about that, just curious to hear peoples experiences!

2 weeks, don't know if it makes much difference but it's not worth the risk in my opinion....the worst for me was being in NYC the day before and not being able to have a beer

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Agreed. Guys, stop freaking out over nothing. The important thing is to be sober before and during, so that you don't bleed like a pig, same as with a tattoo.

You can pretty much go back to your sanity-preserving blind-drunk streak as soon as you are off the antibiotics. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Valued Contributor

A surgeon will always tell you to abstain from drinking for a descent period of time. The reason is because one drink to one person can be a bottle of scotch to another. I had a scotch the night after surgery. I was told it would make no difference. That’s one shot of scotch btw (not one bottle). 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, StillAlive said:

Agreed. Guys, stop freaking out over nothing. The important thing is to be sober before and during, so that you don't bleed like a pig, same as with a tattoo.

You can pretty much go back to your sanity-preserving blind-drunk streak as soon as you are off the antibiotics. 

I must agree 

Too many people are asking the same silly things over and over again - Is it painful?  is it expensive? when can I drink alcohol? 

These are questions are fine for someone who is completely blind in this hair world, but I only pray that people who ask these questions also have a clear idea of what kind of clinic they want to go for which is way more important than anything else..

• Like 1

I think that's a little bit of an aggressive assumption to imply that because I would ask this question that I've not done research about my doctor or other topics. What is the point of a forum if not to ask questions? / provide support I searched the forum before asking the question and, frankly, didn't find that much information about what others have done. Maybe I'm not the best at using the search tool, but even if it's been asked and answered before, the more times it appears, the easier it'll be for people to find later on and the more feedback there will be.

It's also not a 'silly' question - certainly not by comparison to 'is it painful' or 'is it expensive'. Every doctor advises something different when it comes to abstinence periods for alcohol, smoking, sex, exercise, etc.  So why should it be 'silly' to ask for peoples' experiences? Hearing others' experiences is one of the major points of a forum if you ask me. 

I am personally glad others are posting their experiences so thank you everyone.

• Like 2

Gxm100,

In my opinion, patients should always follow the doctor‘s postop instructions. Truthfully, waiting 72 hours to drink alcohol is only a nominal amount of time. Besides, your doctor is probably including this instruction because it won’t mix well with your pain medication. Most pain medication does not mix well with alcohol and my guess is, the instructions also say that you can take the pain medication you’re subscribed for the first 72 hours.

So to be honest, I would follow your doctors instructions and wait the full 72 hours before drinking alcohol.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

2 hours ago, gxm100 said:

I think that's a little bit of an aggressive assumption to imply that because I would ask this question that I've not done research about my doctor or other topics. What is the point of a forum if not to ask questions? / provide support I searched the forum before asking the question and, frankly, didn't find that much information about what others have done. Maybe I'm not the best at using the search tool, but even if it's been asked and answered before, the more times it appears, the easier it'll be for people to find later on and the more feedback there will be.

It's also not a 'silly' question - certainly not by comparison to 'is it painful' or 'is it expensive'. Every doctor advises something different when it comes to abstinence periods for alcohol, smoking, sex, exercise, etc.  So why should it be 'silly' to ask for peoples' experiences? Hearing others' experiences is one of the major points of a forum if you ask me. 

I am personally glad others are posting their experiences so thank you everyone.

Not the first time that poster has had a condescending tone, just ignore them. 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Administrators

To be honest, it is only important to abstain before the procedure. That’s because alcohol thins your blood. Afterwards, it’s okay to drink in moderation. One beer isn’t going to do anything. 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.