Best FUT surgeons that come to mind.

Hey all,

Looking for an FUT due to a really bad family history of balding. I'm currently 31 and NW3, on both fin and minox.

I've got konior at the top, but I was wondering if people know of/had been to any other docs who conduct really good FUT?

I know lots of places offer it, but I've heard that surgeons are often better at one or another (FUE or FUT)

Konior is probably too pricey for me, unfortunately. Hence the question. 

Thank you.

Edited by HelpfulFriend

3 hours ago, HelpfulFriend said:

Hey all,

Looking for an FUT due to a really bad family history of balding. I'm currently 31 and NW3, on both fin and minox.

I've got konior at the top, but I was wondering if people know of/had been to any other docs who conduct really good FUT?

I know lots of places offer it, but I've heard that surgeons are often better at one or another (FUE or FUT)

Konior is probably too pricey for me, unfortunately. Hence the question. 

Thank you.

Dr. Blake Bloxham basically only performs FUT and is great at it. Why are you only considering FUT? FUE is as good as FUT now. 

2 hours ago, deeznuts said:

Hasson & Wong is always popular when it comes to FUT.

Wong, yes 

Hasson will no longer perform FUT procedures, even when indicated. Or that’s what I was told by their clinic, anyway. 

• Administrators

Very few surgeons still perform FUT. I would say Dr. Wong (Hasson does like 1 FUT per year), Dr. Cooley, Dr. Gabel, Dr. Rose, Dr. Nusbaum, Dr. Nadimi, Dr. Muresanu, Dr. Bernstein.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Very few surgeons still perform FUT. I would say Dr. Wong (Hasson does like 1 FUT per year), Dr. Cooley, Dr. Gabel, Dr. Rose, Dr. Nusbaum, Dr. Nadimi, Dr. Muresanu, Dr. Bernstein.

Konior?

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, yesplease said:

Konior?

He said he removed him from his list, as he could not afford him. Obviously he is one of the best period.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

7 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

He said he removed him from his list, as he could not afford him. Obviously he is one of the best period.

Ahh ok

Well, if he can’t afford konior, he likely can’t afford Wong, either. 

2 hours ago, yesplease said:

Ahh ok

Well, if he can’t afford konior, he likely can’t afford Wong, either. 

Oh damn, I was under the impression that Wong was a bit cheaper? I think for my amount of grafts I'd be looking at about 35k USD for Konior, but someone said Hasson would be approx 15k. Perhaps they were mistaken. Do you know of his cost per grafts?

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Hi Melvin,

Do you think that this is due to FUE becoming almost an equivalence by now?

Is the school of thought for those like myself (who need to be very conservative) still to start with FUT, and then move onto FUE to maximise donor?

Or has this gone the way of the past?

Cheers

6 hours ago, Cantstandya said:

Dr. Blake Bloxham basically only performs FUT and is great at it. Why are you only considering FUT? FUE is as good as FUT now. 

Hey mate,

Just based on the idea that it's best to start with FUT, and then move onto FUE for those of us that will need a few surgeries down the line, and who have very a aggressive family history of balding.

I had read this from a few surgeons in the past, but I'm not too sure if this is still the current approach.

1 minute ago, HelpfulFriend said:

Hi Melvin,

Is the school of thought for those like myself (who need to be very conservative) still to start with FUT, and then move onto FUE to maximise donor?

Cheers

I believe one strong factor is that FUE is more profitable for the physician than FUT.

1 minute ago, yesplease said:

I believe one strong factor is that FUE is more profitable for the physician than FUT.

Not really, FUE is more labor intensive & takes much longer hours. If it was all about profit then FUT is where its at, most clinincs doing FUTs can do several surgeries a day. With FUE it would take a whole day to do 3k grafts.  In FUT, Doctors take out strip which is pretty quick, then techs do rest under supervision.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, civic said:

Not really, FUE is more labor intensive & takes much longer hours. If it was all about profit then FUT is where its at, most clinincs doing FUTs can do several surgeries a day. With FUE it would take a whole day to do 3k grafts.  In FUT, Doctors take out strip which is pretty quick, then techs do rest under supervision.

I suspect that the increase in cost is beyond commensurate with the increase in labor for FUE harvesting 

2 minutes ago, yesplease said:

I suspect that the increase in cost is beyond commensurate with the increase in labor for FUE harvesting 

Well, there are respectable/recomendeded surgens on here who actualy charge reasobale fee for FUE in USA $5-6 per graft & do implantation & extraction themselves with techs only loading implanter pens.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, HelpfulFriend said:

Hi Melvin,

Cheers

Yes listen to Dr. Hasson’s reasoning

View my thread

18 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Yes listen to Dr. Hasson’s reasoning

This was a great vid, thanks Melvin.

Even though FUE can potentially yield superior results, as Hasson said, do you think starting with a single FUT, THEN moving to an FUE is still the best way to maximise ones grafts? I believe I saw a vid of yours with Dr Konior that stated this.

Or, simply FUE from the start?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, HelpfulFriend said:

This is why I was considering the first FUT

I think combining both may still give more grafts, but it depends on scalp laxity. Also, few surgeons do mega strips anymore. The days of doing 5k megastrips are becoming a thing of the past. 

View my thread

Also, I just want to say - 31 w/ NW3 isn't that bad honestly. Though I guess it is a negative that you're a NW3 with fin/min in the sense that with fin/min mitigating you're still NW3. 

Are you sure you need FUT? What did the doctors say?

2 hours ago, deeznuts said:

Also, I just want to say - 31 w/ NW3 isn't that bad honestly. Though I guess it is a negative that you're a NW3 with fin/min in the sense that with fin/min mitigating you're still NW3. 

Are you sure you need FUT? What did the doctors say?

That's my thought, I've been on Fin and Min for a while, too - so I'd assume I'd be much worse.

My family history is really bad, and I can see myself still losing ground even on meds (albeit very slowly) - so I just want to be as conservative as possible and maximise the grafts.

So i'd start FUT, then go FUE

• Like 3

For what it's worth, I was in a very similar situation as you. Mid 30s on meds with NW3 and terrible family history. I consulted with Konior and assumed he would suggest FUT first to maximize lifetime grafts. I was surprised when he 100% recommended FUE for me. 

Helpfulfriend,

It would be helpful if you presented some photos showing your hair loss. In the old days, the statement that FUT is better for men with advanced balding was true.  However, today with the advancements and improvements dedicated surgeons have made with FUE, larger FUE megasessions are just as viable as FUT megasessions. Note that it might take a couple sessions to meet your long-term goals however, in my opinion if you select a surgeon who strictly does FUE and has a proven ability of producing outstanding results, you can get results on par with state of the art strip.

if you’re interested in a consult with Dr. Rahal, shoot me a PM and I can get you set up. It can’t hurt to discuss FUE as an option and if you still feel FUT is better for you, then there is certainly no obligation. Either way, I wish you all the best in getting the results you want and deserve.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.