Is long hair for a recovered nw5 possible ?

We all know that we have to wear longer hair to keep up with the illusion of density. Most people who had a hair transplant are rocking that 7cm+ comb over like @Melvin- Moderatordoes. 

I desperately want to wear my hair pretty long like 30cm or so. Is that too long and therefore the illusion of density will fail again or a possible option ?

0E34CEEC-D030-4EEA-A7E6-3ACD92472760.png

630EDA4F-4B03-4965-B26E-BC278E67E8D1.png

You still have thinning on the midscalp and front in that 2nd picture. Is that before your procedure? The top picture looks fuller. 

You can try growing the hair long and you may possibly need to style it a certain way and as with any HT that relies on an illusion of density, you probably will have to maybe try use hair fibres to also bulk up the appearance near the scalp. 

• Administrators

Actually a man bun might be the best for appearance of density. 
image.jpeg

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, NARMAK said:

You still have thinning on the midscalp and front in that 2nd picture. Is that before your procedure? The top picture looks fuller. 

You can try growing the hair long and you may possibly need to style it a certain way and as with any HT that relies on an illusion of density, you probably will have to maybe try use hair fibres to also bulk up the appearance near the scalp. 

Well sorry for the mis-order, ofcourse the top pic is the after and the bottom the before picture, I hoped that you might notice it after nearly 8k grafts :)

@Melvin- Moderator Thank you for that image, thats a great option! 

4 hours ago, didu911 said:

Well sorry for the mis-order, ofcourse the top pic is the after and the bottom the before picture, I hoped that you might notice it after nearly 8k grafts :)

@Melvin- Moderator Thank you for that image, thats a great option! 

I did have a feeling one was more likely to be a before and after but wanted to confirm. 

Yeah, i think if you grow it out longer and style it a certain way, it could look good but also, you might need to use hair fibres. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

Honestly... In this circumstance I'd shave it 100%

To each his own, I would rather do this then have a bald head. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You have male pattern baldness & have had hair restoration surgery.  To wear your hair very long will never look naturally thick from top to sides to back (like females or men with thick non-balding hair).  I would grow out the sides & do higher-end extensions for the back that do the least damage to your hair.

Best of both worlds.

I've had 9K+ grafts and have grown my hair quite long (24-40cm) but I always go back to short hair because the 'illusion' of density (top of scalp & frontal hairline) just doesn't have the 'weight'/bulk necessary to keep the look to my satisfaction under a variety of conditions.

You could go a bit longer on top & hairline where you still have the illusion of most density -whilst going alot longer on sides and back w/extensions.

Good luck!

Edited by jjsrader

Hair quality/hair type will be a big determining factor in this, and based on your photo, it honestly looks like you could pull it off. Only way to know is to try it out, so I'd say get to growing and see how it starts shaping up! If you have a good stylist, you could also work with them during the process, because different products may work better than others for your hair as it gets longer. Hope it works out!

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Didu911,

I can tell you from first-hand experience that a recovered Norwood class 5 hair transplant patient can grow long hair and look good. I often wear my hair up in a man bun but unlike the one Melvin presented, my hair still looks pretty thick when worn down as well.

My hair also looks pretty thick when it’s short.  The front and mid scalp section shows essentially no signs of thinning and the crown only shows signs of a little thinning when I would be a full blown Norwood class 5 A without undergoing any her transplant procedures.  

Now keep in mind however, how thick your hair is going to look whether you wear it short or long is going to end largely on the number of grafts you receive (based on available donor hair), placement and angulation, hair growth yield, hair to scalp hair contrast ratio, etc.  At the end of the day, the end result will be a combination of the patient’s physiology and skill and experience of the surgeon.

The truth is however, not every patient has the available donor hair to obtain a significant number of grafts that would be conducive to a full looking head of hair at a Norwood class 5.   On the other hand, if you happen to be one of the lucky ones with vast donor and have selected an outstanding surgeon, you can wear your hair both short or long (man bun or down).

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2022 at 6:55 AM, didu911 said:

I desperately want to wear my hair pretty long like 30cm or so. Is that too long and therefore the illusion of density will fail again or a possible option ?

From looking at your after photo you look like you're in a good place for growing the hair longer.  I started NW6 and have reasonable success growing it out long, but it's not perfect.  Here's an example from my photo thread, the Feb. 24, 2019 post:

Edited by AB2000
  • Thanks 1