Will good surgeons do a transplant on a 24 year old?

I'm 23 years old with a Norwood 3 and have been on finasteride for two years, I’m saving up to get a transplant with Dr. Cooley. I know that most doctors wait until you’re 25 years old because that is when the hair loss pattern is most predictable or something. I want to get one asap since I can't stand being bald and most young black women aren't attracted to bald men at all plus I'm not all that attractive to begin with.

1 hour ago, Blacklurker said:

I want to get one asap since I can't stand being bald and most young black women aren't attracted to bald men at all plus I'm not all that attractive to begin with.

Black men can pull off SMP very very well. IF you can't find a decent doctor who will do a HT on you, consider getting SMP then a HT in a few years when you are more age-appropriate. 

1 hour ago, Blacklurker said:

I'm 23 years old with a Norwood 3 and have been on finasteride for two years, I’m saving up to get a transplant with Dr. Cooley. I know that most doctors wait until you’re 25 years old because that is when the hair loss pattern is most predictable or something. I want to get one asap since I can't stand being bald and most young black women aren't attracted to bald men at all plus I'm not all that attractive to begin with.

If you are willing to take medications to prevent any further hair loss on your scalp then you can go in for a hair transplantation procedure. You commitment to finasteride will take you a long way in your journey.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike10 said:

If you are starting the process this young, you will likely need several HTs over the course of your life. That is why I start the HT process now only at 40

I don't care if I'm bald in my 40s I just want hair in my 20s

2 minutes ago, Blacklurker said:

I don't care if I'm bald in my 40s I just want hair in my 20s

To be young and naive. Trust all us "old guys" you'll care in your 40's. 

• Like 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

You will still care in your 40s but if your baldness isn't that bad and have likely stabilised, i think it's fine if you have a good ethical surgeon willing to help you.

Otherwise for example if you're not taking meds, you'll probably lose your hair in your 30s, so it's somewhat of a wasted money, and you're just waiting for another bout of pain when you lose your hair. 

I'm 27 and yeah i do want an HT, and i don't plan to wait until my 30s or 40s, but i can tell you that even older, you will still care. It's just that you probably have more money and open option when youre older, and with more predictable baldness. Unless you have a good reason to do HT early maybe because you're going to get married next year or two etc, why not wait?

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 6:15 PM, mafpe said:

You will still care in your 40s but if your baldness isn't that bad and have likely stabilised, i think it's fine if you have a good ethical surgeon willing to help you.

Otherwise for example if you're not taking meds, you'll probably lose your hair in your 30s, so it's somewhat of a wasted money, and you're just waiting for another bout of pain when you lose your hair. 

I'm 27 and yeah i do want an HT, and i don't plan to wait until my 30s or 40s, but i can tell you that even older, you will still care. It's just that you probably have more money and open option when youre older, and with more predictable baldness. Unless you have a good reason to do HT early maybe because you're going to get married next year or two etc, why not wait?

I won’t care at all in my 40s since most black men are bald or have receded hairlines at that age and I will be off the market. Why would I wait to make myself more attractive in my prime dating years where I actual have the time and social group to go out. 

I want my hair back now in my mid-20s so I can go and have fun. If I wait till I’m 25 and then wait an additional 18 months for full results then that are just time out the window and settling for women until I’m 26 no thank you. 

• Haha 1

Yes, a good doctor will do it but the cirumstances have to be right. Usually you should be on the meds like finasteride and minoxidil and you should not be aggressive with how much work you have done.

I had a HT age 23 on my hairline and frontal third, 2000 grafts was not a big number for the amount of frontal loss I had. I am now going to have a second HT on the crown to fix the loss I experienced there prior to the first HT.

Been on meds since 2010 and haven't lost any more hair in 12 years. 

Most important thing is to consult with elite and ethical doctors who can give you honest advice. I still had lots of hair so needed the meds to keep that hair - but if you're bald as a baby then maybe you can stay off the meds. 

Whatever you do, don't rush into it and don't think this first HT is the one to solve it. My first HT gave me a great result but it was still a conservative hairline that didn't use too many grafts, which means a decade later I still have a lot of grafts left in reserve.

Edited by TommyLucchese

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

8 hours ago, Mike10 said:

if everything were as simple. FUE scarring and unnatural pattern due to transplanted hair. you are so naive , immature and uninformed, you should not have a HT

Black people usually don’t deal with those issues. A good surgeon and finasteride is all you literally need if your black for years of hair since curly hair gives off a better illusion of density with fewer grafts. I clearly stated that I have no desire for multiple transplants since I don't care if I'm bald in my late 30s or 40s. 

7901C7BF-562F-45BC-A32D-8D1269F98ACC.png

AE02C023-1E73-4B9B-8418-BC8A0139580E.png

Edited by Blacklurker

Yes. Dr Cooley is good at his craft. you will be fine. Most of these old posters are right. you probably WILL care about your hair in your 40s. BUt nobody else can set your priorities with 100% certainty. If you really think you wont maybe you are that rare bird that really wont. Who knows. Do what makes you happy. live your life. You make your bed, you lay in it. Dont let anyone discourage you .. Just listen to every advice but at the end make your own informed decision. 

15 minutes ago, Blacklurker said:

Black people usually don’t deal with those issues. A good surgeon and finasteride is all you literally need if your black since curly gives off a better illusion of density with fewer grafts. I clearly stated that I have no desire for multiple transplants since I don't care if I'm bald in my 40s. 

7901C7BF-562F-45BC-A32D-8D1269F98ACC.png

AE02C023-1E73-4B9B-8418-BC8A0139580E.png

BTW is that you?? if it is , you really dont need a transplant.. 

i can give you my input but from what i see you seem like you would only look for answers that is positive for you, while disregarding those that is not in support to you.

now that the sentence is out, if you felt offended or anger at that statement above, i think you can just keep at it and well... get a HT disregarding any other factor, i can't stop you, and i don't plan to.

otherwise if you're still reading this anyway, my opinion is this.

it's correct to say that its highly possible you'd care way more on your hair during these years, probably until 30s, or at least until you settle down.
it's wrong to say you won't care at older age though, people always do, you can see the people who are here, many are above 40 even, and they still do.
you might be an exception, but i doubt it, most majority would still.

i agree with what shiba says however,

1 hour ago, shiba1985 said:

Yes. Dr Cooley is good at his craft. you will be fine. Most of these old posters are right. you probably WILL care about your hair in your 40s. BUt nobody else can set your priorities with 100% certainty. If you really think you wont maybe you are that rare bird that really wont. Who knows. Do what makes you happy. live your life. You make your bed, you lay in it. Dont let anyone discourage you .. Just listen to every advice but at the end make your own informed decision. 

what is important is that you make an informed decision.

i don't know your stance on meds etc but...
if you don't want to take meds? thats fine, there are risk on the meds.
you want a good doctor to operate on you? great! this is one of the most important thing to decide on

the problem is that most good doctor won't operate if you have aggressive and or if your hairloss is not stabilised yet. this pose a risk to them, and to you since we don't know how it will be in a few years. heck, there were those who says after 2 years, their HT fell out. If i'm the doctor, i don't want to deal with this. no one does.

there are other option like SMP too, if you just need to deal with sparseness and see-through, but if you think HT is the answer, it's not wrong really, it might be it.

I'm 27, in the same boat as you, and yes, single as well. your reason is also my reasoning on why i want a HT soon. what i do is i make sure to know the risk, pros, and cons, because in a way, this HT can ALTER my whole life, not to exaggerate, but experience mold us, a bad HT can turn me into a grumpy pessimistic person my whole life due to the bad experience it gives, not to mention depression etc etc.

it's ok to stand by your position and opinion, but please don't just chalk up people's advice as bullshit.

just read them and keep in mind, gather more resources, talk to more people, and then make your own decision.
don't be that guy who hastily jumped into a HT and get a botched result, and regret it his whole life. at least if you have researched more, think about it more, talk with more people, even if it doesn't turn out great, you are ready for it, and you wouldn't just wallow in regret with broken mental health.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blacklurker said:

I won’t care at all in my 40s since most black men are bald or have receded hairlines at that age and I will be off the market. Why would I wait to make myself more attractive in my prime dating years where I actual have the time and social group to go out. 

I want my hair back now in my mid-20s so I can go and have fun. If I wait till I’m 25 and then wait an additional 18 months for full results then that are just time out the window and settling for fat and ugly women until I’m 26 no thank you. 

While I think you will definitely still care in the future, I understand the sentiment. Why not try with topical drugs like finasteride and minoxidil first, and if you do have anything done, make it super super conservative so you don't regret it in a few years

8 hours ago, mafpe said:

i can give you my input but from what i see you seem like you would only look for answers that is positive for you, while disregarding those that is not in support to you.

now that the sentence is out, if you felt offended or anger at that statement above, i think you can just keep at it and well... get a HT disregarding any other factor, i can't stop you, and i don't plan to.

otherwise if you're still reading this anyway, my opinion is this.

it's correct to say that its highly possible you'd care way more on your hair during these years, probably until 30s, or at least until you settle down.
it's wrong to say you won't care at older age though, people always do, you can see the people who are here, many are above 40 even, and they still do.
you might be an exception, but i doubt it, most majority would still.

i agree with what shiba says however,

what is important is that you make an informed decision.

i don't know your stance on meds etc but...
if you don't want to take meds? thats fine, there are risk on the meds.
you want a good doctor to operate on you? great! this is one of the most important thing to decide on

the problem is that most good doctor won't operate if you have aggressive and or if your hairloss is not stabilised yet. this pose a risk to them, and to you since we don't know how it will be in a few years. heck, there were those who says after 2 years, their HT fell out. If i'm the doctor, i don't want to deal with this. no one does.

there are other option like SMP too, if you just need to deal with sparseness and see-through, but if you think HT is the answer, it's not wrong really, it might be it.

I'm 27, in the same boat as you, and yes, single as well. your reason is also my reasoning on why i want a HT soon. what i do is i make sure to know the risk, pros, and cons, because in a way, this HT can ALTER my whole life, not to exaggerate, but experience mold us, a bad HT can turn me into a grumpy pessimistic person my whole life due to the bad experience it gives, not to mention depression etc etc.

it's ok to stand by your position and opinion, but please don't just chalk up people's advice as bullshit.

just read them and keep in mind, gather more resources, talk to more people, and then make your own decision.
don't be that guy who hastily jumped into a HT and get a botched result, and regret it his whole life. at least if you have researched more, think about it more, talk with more people, even if it doesn't turn out great, you are ready for it, and you wouldn't just wallow in regret with broken mental health.

I woulld generally agree with you, with time we care less but we still care. The whole thing about settlling down is also relatve when you look at the divorce rates. My grandfather who was over 70 still cared about his hair, bought a special coffeine shampoo at the time. Still had excellent hair in his 70s  LOL. 

35 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

I woulld generally agree with you, with time we care less but we still care. The whole thing about settlling down is also relatve when you look at the divorce rates. My grandfather who was over 70 still cared about his hair, bought a special coffeine shampoo at the time. Still had excellent hair in his 70s  LOL. 

yeah, i didn't mention it because i do not want to... in a way, "curse" that he or anyone to not have a lasting relationship. if you have a great healthy relationship, you shouldn't be in the market again, and have less need to "man up your profile". most people would still take care and note of appearance, it's only human.

As a general rule, 24 is quite young and many doctors wouldn't even consider it. It's not out of the question though, and there are ethical surgeons who will consider doing it depending on the circumstances. It seems like you found a doctor who is willing to do it, so take that as a good sign. 

And coming from someone who'll be 40 in a couple of years, I can assure you that most people still care about what they look like even when we're that old. You don't have to believe us though. Lol. 

And some unsolicited input... Perhaps consider shifting your mindset about how you're "settling to date fat and ugly women..." Hair transplant or not, I don't know if that's the type of attitude that's gonna attract the type of women you seem to be interested in. There are way more factors at play when it comes to dating and what people find attractive than just appearances alone, and you may be shooting yourself in the foot by viewing women (and yourself) through such a critical lens. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 5/19/2022 at 2:42 AM, Aslitarcan sucks said:

While I think you will definitely still care in the future, I understand the sentiment. Why not try with topical drugs like finasteride and minoxidil first, and if you do have anything done, make it super super conservative so you don't regret it in a few years

I’m already on fin and was a minoxidil non-responder

I think some doctors prefer their patients to be 25 or older as a minimum. Being on finasteride indefinitely will help sway their decision to operate on you though.

8 hours ago, Blacklurker said:

I’m already on fin and was a minoxidil non-responder

how long have you been in it? the meds takes around 8 months to a year to show result normally