Will good surgeons do a transplant on a 24 year old?

On 5/16/2022 at 6:46 PM, Blacklurker said:

I'm 23 years old with a Norwood 3 and have been on finasteride for two years, I’m saving up to get a transplant with Dr. Cooley. I know that most doctors wait until you’re 25 years old because that is when the hair loss pattern is most predictable or something. I want to get one asap since I can't stand being bald and most young black women aren't attracted to bald men at all plus I'm not all that attractive to begin with.

Cooley seems very ethical and will likely steer you in the correct direction.

Edited by 5BetaReductase

Is money an issue? Can you travel outside the country? Can you shared pics so we can see more or less how bad it is? Dr Cooley is great just don’t go to a hair mill in turkey, there’s dr bisanga in Belgium who would also do a great job

On 5/17/2022 at 7:51 PM, BDK081522 said:

To be young and naive. Trust all us "old guys" you'll care in your 40's. 

Maybe it's different for black dudes. I feel like black guys can shave their head and have it be more acceptable than most other races. OP is 20-30 and maybe he wants a 20-30 year old haircut. But once he's in his 40's, a bald head is a very acceptable look for 30's+ black dudes since guys like Terry Crews, Michael Jordan and the Rock are all shaved. 

Whereas with other races, there are only a handful of shaved heads. White guys have the Jason Statham's for sure but it's rarer. And good luck if you're Asian

• Like 1

Personally i feel regardless of race, most guys have the option to click their fingers and have all their juvenile hairline back, they'd do so in a heartbeat. 

I think for white people, there was a lot of alignment with racist organisations and movements going the shaved route in the past but right now, i still feel regardless of race, its been made more acceptable but also, the pressure to look great, have a full Norwood 1 hairline look is high in the social media age. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Personally i feel regardless of race, most guys have the option to click their fingers and have all their juvenile hairline back, they'd do so in a heartbeat. 

I think for white people, there was a lot of alignment with racist organisations and movements going the shaved route in the past but right now, i still feel regardless of race, its been made more acceptable but also, the pressure to look great, have a full Norwood 1 hairline look is high in the social media age. 

Wow lol you really are reaching with this , white people didn’t want to go bald in the past so they would be classed as a neo-nazi is far fetched to say the least lol. This is  such a generalised comment 

Edited by sukh123

30 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

Wow lol you really are reaching with this , white people didn’t want to go bald in the past so they would be classed as a neo-nazi is far fetched to say the least lol. This is  such a generalised comment 

You can say it's far fetched all you like, but i've heard a lot of guys from the older generation mention this anecdotally who were white around that time state it as one of their reasons. 

Truth is, no guy willingly wants to go bald permanently if hair loss was optional and they didn't feel forced down that route. 

You just contradicted your own argument by saying you’ve heard “anecdotal” evidence. Going by what you hear from a few guys means your can’t generalise that opinion to say everyone  feels that way which is what you were implying in your original comment 

• Valued Contributor
On 5/18/2022 at 9:47 AM, Blacklurker said:

I don't care if I'm bald in my 40s I just want hair in my 20s

This is one of the biggest myths that comes up all the time. You will most certainly care if you are suffering from MPB if you are 40 (or 55 for that matter). I've been in your shoes and made the mistake of acting on the same impulsiveness by having a hair transplant at 18!! Today the mistake will be no different because just like when, I was 18, MPB was PROGRESSIVE as it is today! You could be a Norwood 7 by the time you are 29. Does your skin keloid? You need a surgeon and a combined strategy over your life span. Your anxieties are justified and I can only too well relate. But learn by my mistakes. Firstly it's cheaper and secondly you will avoid the ramifications of scars and an exhausted donor (and unnatural results). Stay on medication and try and stabilize your hair loss for at least a year. Dr Cooley is an excellent surgeon. I would also be focusing on surgeons who specialize in Afrocentric hair. Wishing you all the best!

• Like 4

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, sukh123 said:

It's actually true. If I had shaved my head when I began balding I would have been aligned as a skin head or a young guy just out of the nic.

On 5/29/2022 at 9:21 PM, Gatsby said:

This is one of the biggest myths that comes up all the time. You will most certainly care if you are suffering from MPB if you are 40 (or 55 for that matter). I've been in your shoes and made the mistake of acting on the same impulsiveness by having a hair transplant at 18!! Today the mistake will be no different because just like when, I was 18, MPB was PROGRESSIVE as it is today! You could be a Norwood 7 by the time you are 29. Does your skin keloid? You need a surgeon and a combined strategy over your life span. Your anxieties are justified and I can only too well relate. But learn by my mistakes. Firstly it's cheaper and secondly you will avoid the ramifications of scars and an exhausted donor (and unnatural results). Stay on medication and try and stabilize your hair loss for at least a year. Dr Cooley is an excellent surgeon. I would also be focusing on surgeons who specialize in Afrocentric hair. Wishing you all the best!

I get why he doesn't want to end up relegated to "fat" or "ugly" chicks until 26, but waiting a few years to be sure he's not on the verge of major loss isn't unreasonable.  He doesn't seem to want to hear that, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, John1991 said:

I get why he doesn't want to end up relegated to "fat" or "ugly" chicks until 26, but waiting a few years to be sure he's not on the verge of major loss isn't unreasonable.  He doesn't seem to want to hear that, though.

Yep. I didn't either at that age. But any girl who didn't want to go out with me back then because my hair was receding wasn't a girl I would be interested in anyway for that very shallow reason. In fact the character it shows not to give a flying f#@k back then (and growing a sense of humour) ensured I did have great looking girlfriends.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2022 at 4:13 PM, deeznuts said:

Maybe it's different for black dudes. I feel like black guys can shave their head and have it be more acceptable than most other races. OP is 20-30 and maybe he wants a 20-30 year old haircut. But once he's in his 40's, a bald head is a very acceptable look for 30's+ black dudes since guys like Terry Crews, Michael Jordan and the Rock are all shaved. 

Whereas with other races, there are only a handful of shaved heads. White guys have the Jason Statham's for sure but it's rarer. And good luck if you're Asian

Yeah, there is a heavy cultural divide here being bald as black men is more acceptable and normalized than it is for white men. There’s a reason why you don't see black men walking around with Norwood 3s or higher once the hairline starts to recede it shaves it off or be ridiculed. The reason I want to keep my hair now is so that I can expand my dating pool, if being bald didn’t make me less attractive to women I wouldn’t care.

Edited by Blacklurker

On 6/2/2022 at 10:14 PM, Gatsby said:

Yep. I didn't either at that age. But any girl who didn't want to go out with me back then because my hair was receding wasn't a girl I would be interested in anyway for that very shallow reason. In fact the character it shows not to give a flying f#@k back then (and growing a sense of humour) ensured I did have great looking girlfriends.

With the introduction of OLD(online dating) the dating world for young men has changed significantly.

4 hours ago, Blacklurker said:

With the introduction of OLD(online dating) the dating world for young men has changed significantly.

Just get on fin how bad is the loss you don’t show it at all? Norwood 3 means you need to use 2000-3000 grafts fin will slow down anymore hairloss so that a transplant at 24 is less likely to look bad when your 30+ because it will leave tiny dot scars on your donor and let’s say you get it in the next few months it’ll take at least until summer 2023 to look good there will be phases where your hair will look bad then after 6 months it will look better if you can afford it and have a long term plan then do it but do it for you not for anyone else