Feller&Bloxham: 5most post op disappointed

10 minutes ago, bigtyivier2k2 said:

I guess my issue is I watched a buncha vids on youtube with transplant timelines and seemed for all of then between month 4-5 enough growth happened where they didn't look ‘thinning’ anymore

Yeah the reality is everyone's timeline is different. Most to get noticeable growth in that period but not always. Not saying there's not a growth issue but I'd imagine most doctors would say it's too early to know for sure yet

Edited by BurnieBurns

8 hours ago, BurnieBurns said:

Yeah the reality is everyone's timeline is different. Most to get noticeable growth in that period but not always. Not saying there's not a growth issue but I'd imagine most doctors would say it's too early to know for sure yet

Anything to speed it up? I started taking this 

A8A9E262-9C40-4177-9C6D-A1A2F55E3B0E.jpeg

• Administrators

Your case is difficult because it’s clear you’re continuing to lose native hair, essentially you’ve been playing catch up with hair transplants, your first neograft you had a lot more hair, as you lose more native hair you’ll need more hair. Realistically, you need 10k grafts for full coverage, and even more for density. 

Now, I don’t say that to try and diminish your feelings about this procedure, but it’s just a reality for Norwood 6s. Even me after 4 HTs, I’m 3.5 months, but I have feeling I will still see scalp in certain lighting. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Your case is difficult because it’s clear you’re continuing to lose native hair, essentially you’ve been playing catch up with hair transplants, your first neograft you had a lot more hair, as you lose more native hair you’ll need more hair. Realistically, you need 10k grafts for full coverage, and even more for density. 

Now, I don’t say that to try and diminish your feelings about this procedure, but it’s just a reality for Norwood 6s. Even me after 4 HTs, I’m 3.5 months, but I have feeling I will still see scalp in certain lighting. 

I dont know where else I can possibly lose from except the dip underneath the crown as I had grafts pretty much from hairline to crown.

wow 4 HT’s holy cow! That seems hard to get: 10k donor hairs seems very rare few people can get that many.

were all your ht’s fut?

1 hour ago, MachoVato said:

The crown will take a lot longer to fill in. I'm at 8 months on my crown and it's just now kicking in.

Are you on finasteride or minoxidil?

Yeah except my crown was done Nov 2020 making it now 17 months

21 hours ago, John1991 said:

Given your hair thickness and the size of the region that the 3900 grafts was placed, I’d expect about what I’m seeing. That’s quite a large region for that many grafts. And your hair appears to be a bit on the thin side. The skin to hair contrast isn’t ideal either. I actually think the front looks a bit better than I would’ve guessed with that many grafts. 

John I am not sure where you got 3,900 from hut im guessing you did not go through the posts I made in this thread.

jan 2013: 1,300 graft beograft fue

Nov 2020: 3,000 fut with Bloxham

Nov 2022: 1,900 fut with Bloxham

So just with Bloxham alone in the last year and a half Ive gotten 4,900 fut grafts. Along with 2013’s neograft fue my total across 3 transplants is 6,100 grafts

2 hours ago, bigtyivier2k2 said:

John I am not sure where you got 3,900 from hut im guessing you did not go through the posts I made in this thread.

So just with Bloxham alone in the last year and a half Ive gotten 4,900 fut grafts. Along with 2013’s neograft fue my total across 3 transplants is 6,100 grafts

I mis-wrote and put 3900 instead of 3000. That makes the appearance of your crown make even more sense. 

I mis-wrote and put 3900 instead of 3000. That makes the appearance of your crown make even more sense.  How old are you? 

• Administrators

Wondering if I am overreacting a bit.. heres a few more bathroom shots without bathroom lighting

B4E8E40C-F3CB-44C9-B657-B75E3AC0E597.jpeg

6F876ED6-AB22-495D-BA2D-2938E3BBBEBC.jpeg

37E00457-8FE1-44C6-83EF-E947D8BEED7D.jpeg

C62DC198-DC53-4687-8232-24C2BB7EDAD4.jpeg

The truth is your hair will always have weaknesses. You are a Norwood 6, I had around 5,300 grafts and my hair looked similar to yours. Less density in the crown more density in the front. There is a gap, I have the same thing. That’s something you should address. The issue isn’t did you get poor growth, its you need more grafts, and this is something you can’t avoid. Believe me, I can take pictures where it looks like I have no hair on my head. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

8 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

The truth is your hair will always have weaknesses. You are a Norwood 6, I had around 5,300 grafts and my hair looked similar to yours. Less density in the crown more density in the front. There is a gap, I have the same thing. That’s something you should address. The issue isn’t did you get poor growth, its you need more grafts, and this is something you can’t avoid. Believe me, I can take pictures where it looks like I have no hair on my head. 

Howcome in Turkey they do 1-2 day surgeries and get like 3,500-6,000 grafts where as in the states ur lucky to get 3,500 grafts.

Also I am not quite sure what to tell Bloxham during my 6 month consult. $25k down the drain 😭

Edited by bigtyivier2k2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, bigtyivier2k2 said:

Howcome in Turkey they do 1-2 day surgeries and get like 3,500-6,000 grafts where as in the states ur lucky to get 3,500 grafts.

Also I am not quite sure what to tell Bloxham during my 6 month consult. $25k down the drain 😭

Tell him the truth, never keep your doc in the dark. I don’t think it’s money down the drain. You’d be bald without HTs. Is it perfect? No, but with fibers I bet you look really good. You’re comparing FUE to FUT, the number of grafts is dependent on your donor density. FUE they can cherry pick multi-unit grafts, the hair mills I’m almost positive split grafts to drive up the number. 

View my thread

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Tell him the truth, never keep your doc in the dark. I don’t think it’s money down the drain. You’d be bald without HTs. Is it perfect? No, but with fibers I bet you look really good. You’re comparing FUE to FUT, the number of grafts is dependent on your donor density. FUE they can cherry pick multi-unit grafts, the hair mills I’m almost positive split grafts to drive up the number. 

True. Shoulda just went to Ankara. Woulda got the same amount of grafts for half the price and without a scar from fut lol 😆 

Im gonna micro smp the scar once it turns white from pink

It appears you have extremely fine/straight & thin-diameter hair.  Even if all your grafts grew and you are a NW6 moving to 7 as you get older - 6K probably ain't nearly enough to get full coverage from crown up to hairline.  You might need another 2-3K after your crown grows out to homogenize your entire top of the head. 

You didn't waste your money - you're just a difficult case that needs alot of grafts. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jjsrader said:

It appears you have extremely fine/straight & thin-diameter hair.  Even if all your grafts grew and you are a NW6 moving to 7 as you get older - 6K probably ain't nearly enough to get full coverage from crown up to hairline.

Well, I follow this thread and I'm afraid this will be my story in 8/10 years...

• Administrators
5 hours ago, bigtyivier2k2 said:

True. Shoulda just went to Ankara. Woulda got the same amount of grafts for half the price and without a scar from fut lol 😆 

Im gonna micro smp the scar once it turns white from pink

There’s no telling if you would’ve gotten better results. As for FUE vs. FUT, that’s something you should’ve researched thoroughly. You went to a pro-FUT clinic, of course he’s gonna offer FUT

View my thread

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

There’s no telling if you would’ve gotten better results. As for FUE vs. FUT, that’s something you should’ve researched thoroughly. You went to a pro-FUT clinic, of course he’s gonna offer FUT

it made sense at the time in terms of grafts for possible future procedures 

I agree about the needing of more grafts. The silver lining here is because you got FUT first and don't have a moth eaten donor, FUE is now available to you to build on the foundation FUT gave, including beard hair. A clinic like Eugenix could probably give you another 5k grafts

13 hours ago, BurnieBurns said:

I agree about the needing of more grafts. The silver lining here is because you got FUT first and don't have a moth eaten donor, FUE is now available to you to build on the foundation FUT gave, including beard hair. A clinic like Eugenix could probably give you another 5k grafts

I did have 1,200 neograft fue in 2013 so not sure how good my donor area is

19 hours ago, jjsrader said:

It appears you have extremely fine/straight & thin-diameter hair.  Even if all your grafts grew and you are a NW6 moving to 7 as you get older - 6K probably ain't nearly enough to get full coverage from crown up to hairline.  You might need another 2-3K after your crown grows out to homogenize your entire top of the head. 

You didn't waste your money - you're just a difficult case that needs alot of grafts. 

Even when I had a full head of hair I always had straight thin hair

6 hours ago, bigtyivier2k2 said:

Even when I had a full head of hair I always had straight thin hair

I feel ya.  I have very fine - bone straight small diameter hair.  I was on propecia from '98 to '02 - Avodart since then (dut) & been using minox since late 90's & oral minox since about '18 - so my donor is solid.

Had about 3.55K grafts from the years '91-'04 - hair was okay from '04 to about '12 - at that time I was 44 & a NW5 (so I lost a ton of native hair mid-scalp to crown) from about '09-'13.

Did another 5.5K grafts in '17 & now have full coverage.  But my hair is very fine although no bald spot my density could be better behind the hairline all the way back to the crown.

My plan now is to overharvest slightly the rest of my good donor scalp via FUE for a more homogenous total 'donor zone' area to make it less dense and create less of a visual difference from the recipient areas.

Looking to do another couple FUE's beginning probably this fall or winter.

If family history is NW6's & NW7's EVEN w/lifelong meds if you began losing your hair early 20's & you have fine hair - the struggle will always be real.

Best to keep it at just the right length and a suitable hairstyle to create that illusion of a near-normal head of hair.

Edited by jjsrader

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 5:54 PM, jjsrader said:

I feel ya.  I have very fine - bone straight small diameter hair.  I was on propecia from '98 to '02 - Avodart since then (dut) & been using minox since late 90's & oral minox since about '18 - so my donor is solid.

Had about 3.55K grafts from the years '91-'04 - hair was okay from '04 to about '12 - at that time I was 44 & a NW5 (so I lost a ton of native hair mid-scalp to crown) from about '09-'13.

Did another 5.5K grafts in '17 & now have full coverage.  But my hair is very fine although no bald spot my density could be better behind the hairline all the way back to the crown.

My plan now is to overharvest slightly the rest of my good donor scalp via FUE for a more homogenous total 'donor zone' area to make it less dense and create less of a visual difference from the recipient areas.

Looking to do another couple FUE's beginning probably this fall or winter.

If family history is NW6's & NW7's EVEN w/lifelong meds if you began losing your hair early 20's & you have fine hair - the struggle will always be real.

Best to keep it at just the right length and a suitable hairstyle to create that illusion of a near-normal head of hair.

I started receding in my hairline when I was 26. Then thinned in the crown area when I was about 33