Feller&Bloxham: 5most post op disappointed

I feel your pain and my heart hurts for you (seriously). I can completely relate...

I was a Norwood 4 in Jan 2018 at age 48 when I had a 3900 FUE transplant with Dr Michael Vories in Charleston SC. He does exclusively FUE transplants and had more than 15 years of experience at the time I did the surgery. I was healthy, lean, exercised, ate a good diet, was on dutasteride, used hair thickening shampoo, took vitamins, zinc, biotin, etc. (not Rogaine).  Even with all that I still had some shock loss, redness through 3 months, mild folliculitis, and at 5 months post-op I had a lot less growth than you see in pictures on-line. The top was the worst. Even at 8 months post-op it was still patchy, thin and bald in some spots.  I talked to Dr. Vories and he said some people heal slowly and to try to be patient. I didn't take it out on him, but OMG the frustration I felt at home! It took 9-11 months to see results that other people usually get in 4-6 months.  So hang in there. I know it's disheartening right now, but I really think you will see more growth over the next 6 months.  Please give an update in a few months to let us know how it's going.  It would be helpful to me (and probably others) to know how you are doing.

Right now I'm at 2.5 years after my first 3900 FUE transplant and I'm going for a second 1800 FUE transplant at the end of June with Dr. Angela Phipps in Raleigh NC to fill in the top (still a bit thin) and to try and make the hairline look more natural. (I have a nearly perfectly straight hairline which I think makes it obvious that I got a transplant).  I am really dreading being an "ugly duckling" over the next year... crossing my fingers that maybe it will be better this time...

Thanks for sharing what's going on with you. It helps to know I'm not the only one who has had to deal with disappointing results at 5 months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D_Matt_I said:

I feel your pain and my heart hurts for you (seriously). I can completely relate...

I was a Norwood 4 in Jan 2018 at age 48 when I had a 3900 FUE transplant with Dr Michael Vories in Charleston SC. He does exclusively FUE transplants and had more than 15 years of experience at the time I did the surgery. I was healthy, lean, exercised, ate a good diet, was on dutasteride, used hair thickening shampoo, took vitamins, zinc, biotin, etc. (not Rogaine).  Even with all that I still had some shock loss, redness through 3 months, mild folliculitis, and at 5 months post-op I had a lot less growth than you see in pictures on-line. The top was the worst. Even at 8 months post-op it was still patchy, thin and bald in some spots.  I talked to Dr. Vories and he said some people heal slowly and to try to be patient. I didn't take it out on him, but OMG the frustration I felt at home! It took 9-11 months to see results that other people usually get in 4-6 months.  So hang in there. I know it's disheartening right now, but I really think you will see more growth over the next 6 months.  Please give an update in a few months to let us know how it's going.  It would be helpful to me (and probably others) to know how you are doing.

Right now I'm at 2.5 years after my first 3900 FUE transplant and I'm going for a second 1800 FUE transplant at the end of June with Dr. Angela Phipps in Raleigh NC to fill in the top (still a bit thin) and to try and make the hairline look more natural. (I have a nearly perfectly straight hairline which I think makes it obvious that I got a transplant).  I am really dreading being an "ugly duckling" over the next year... crossing my fingers that maybe it will be better this time...

Thanks for sharing what's going on with you. It helps to know I'm not the only one who has had to deal with disappointing results at 5 months.

I am also scheduled with Dr V.   From what i seen his hairline designs looked natural, now i am a bit nervous-(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, civic said:

I am also scheduled with Dr V.   From what i seen his hairline designs looked natural, now i am a bit nervous-(

I don't think you need to worry.  Dr.Vories is an excellent surgeon. I am probably overly picky.

I'm at work right now, but I'll upload a couple of pictures when I get home.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, D_Matt_I said:

I don't think you need to worry.  Dr.Vories is an excellent surgeon. I am probably overly picky.

I'm at work right now, but I'll upload a couple of pictures when I get home.

Thanks! Would be great to see those pictures, i will also document my journey post op.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay...the pictures from my android phone aren't showing up in my gmail. I don't have the right connector for phone to PC and my PC doesn't have wireless internet. I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out a solution...

• Like 1

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, D_Matt_I said:

Sorry for the delay...the pictures from my android phone aren't showing up in my gmail. I don't have the right connector for phone to PC and my PC doesn't have wireless internet. I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out a solution...

You can take pictures on your phone and post them directly here, no need to email them to yourself. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You can take pictures on your phone and post them directly here, no need to email them to yourself. 

I didn't even think of logging in from my phone... duh, lol. Showing my age...

Here are a couple of pictures of my current hairline. Opinions/comments welcome, especially as to whether you think it looks good as-is or if you think it makes sense to do another surgery to make my hairline more natural. Sometimes it's hard for me to judge since I've been told that I can be overly critical of myself.

Somewhere (on an old phone?) I have some pictures showing the top of my head at 8 vs 12 months post FUE surgery with Dr. V. I think they will help demonstrate what I was saying in my earlier post about my slow growth. I'll post them as soon as I find them...

20220601_202348.jpg

20220601_140252.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

I think it looks pretty good. You should create your own thread and track your progress.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 hours ago, D_Matt_I said:

Here are a couple of pictures of my current hairline. Opinions/comments welcome, especially as to whether you think it looks good as-is or if you think it makes sense to do another surgery to make my hairline more natural. Sometimes it's hard for me to judge since I've been told that I can be overly critical of myself.

Somewhere (on an old phone?) I have some pictures showing the top of my head at 8 vs 12 months post FUE surgery with Dr. V. I think they will help demonstrate what I was saying in my earlier post about my slow growth. I'll post them as soon as I find them...

20220601_202348.jpg

20220601_140252.jpg

It looks great!  Thanks for sharing, the density is very good, i was worried that it would look sparse based on your initial post . This is on par with what i seen in top clinics like Eugenix & Couto.

22 hours ago, D_Matt_I said:

Here are pictures of the top of my head at 8 months vs. 12 months post surgery.  I 

200818_David Irlbeck Top3.jpg

20210106_110615.jpg

35 minutes ago, D_Matt_I said:

Here are pictures of the top of my head at 8 months vs. 12 months post surgery.  I 

200818_David Irlbeck Top3.jpg

20210106_110615.jpg

I think it's becauae you have wavy hair and high contrsast between scalp and hair color you may feel as though its not dense in certain light condition, but i think it looks good, can we see before operation picture?

On 6/2/2022 at 10:46 AM, civic said:

I think it's becauae you have wavy hair and high contrsast between scalp and hair color you may feel as though its not dense in certain light condition, but i think it looks good, can we see before operation picture?

I looked and can't seem to find my before pictures. I think I had them on an old phone. (I changed phones a few times since then and apparently didn't upload them). 🤔 I'll keep looking and post them if I find them.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 6/1/2022 at 10:20 PM, D_Matt_I said:

20220601_202348.jpg

20220601_140252.jpg

Your hair looks great! I have very similar hair to you. I'm also considering Dr. Vories. Do you have any before pics that you wouldn't mind sharing?