~2200 FUE Grafts - HMR Dr. Cortez - Tijuana, MX

emo24

Hi all,

I have been lurking in the forums the past few weeks and finally decided to make a progress update because I would appreciate any honest opinions on my procedure thus far. am a 28 year old who got an FUE procedure done on my hairline in mid February so I am on my 7 weeks. I went to the HMR clinic in Tijuana Mexico as I live in Southern California and have seen some good, clean work and results from people on this forum as well as youtube. The procedure went extremely smoothly, done by Dr. Cortez, and I had no problems walking across the border before and after the procedure. I will post update photos from pre op, one day post op, one week post op, one month post op, and 7 weeks post op. I am very happy with the results thus far on my recipient area, however, my donor area is really struggling on the right side. I developed a bit of a folliculitis flare up a few weeks ago and that is apparent in the last photo (I am on antibiotics). I think this may have been from a combination of sweat and toppik since I was trying to cover up my donor area thinness at work since I cannot wear a hat and then subsequently going to the gym. I was not anticipating my donor area would be slowly recovering as it is but, please let me know if you think this is a cause for worry (I don't think I could have been overharvested with only 2200 fue grafts), or maybe it is potential shock loss. I may just have to ride it out a few months before making any judgment calls, trying to stay positive. I have some early growth in my recipient area too which is nice. I look forward to updating the forum and hearing from you all.

Pre Op:

1442703734_rightsidepreop.PNG.1d37381911ecf8159285ac6deac850bd.PNG632720561_leftsidepreop.PNG.f6c7db215b224b6debd0ff3c0b72f793.PNG369775572_hairlinepreop.PNG.343ca934d381dabf923968385ee27dc9.PNG1187207012_donorareapreop.PNG.20d66339d34cd5598bd47ea9f924f0ba.PNG

One day post Op:

829744162_onedaypostopleft.PNG.1f09c0a87a6c1f24cad853d380a13c97.PNG1108016946_onedaypostopfront.PNG.01942606af83b9f18f360b93eaff475c.PNG113920170_onedaypostopback.PNG.65fe34818a64de075a0c9d5f324a5c2c.PNG

One week post Op:

358278477_oneweekpostopright.PNG.202a48ffdbc1a19e83a0fff1e265e1be.PNG1615353391_oneweekpostopleft.PNG.0c1205ade263345b05a7fb3217e87748.PNG31431572_oneweekpostopfront.PNG.e6503317382159a7754eaafdc10d15b2.PNG1313141216_oneweekpostopback.PNG.debc9993bed2571f648efc20575e07bb.PNG

Scabs removed: 

343546549_scabsremoved.PNG.f0d08d6092d23a3aaa7f58b11768cbe1.PNG

One month post op:

1771002321_onemonthpostopright.PNG.71b24c32597789ccd8ddff7c226ac915.PNG59226282_onemonthpostopleft.PNG.480aa83de7195d621c888c2cf40724f6.PNG2034502401_onemonthpostopfront.PNG.1f27de154f8e217551c72bc8905053f4.PNG1315144884_onemonthpostopback.PNG.eb29007d55c898d85f93642070ab8a80.PNG

7 weeks post op: Donor right side

162864313_7weeksrightside.PNG.e3521e211b12e4d3f91526aff51907da.PNG

one day post op right.PNG

Edited by emo24

• Valued Contributor

At seven weeks out I wouldn't expect anything major in terms of growth. I would however keep in close touch with your clinic and perhaps even see a dermatologist re: the folicullitis. It may also be a case of shock loss which can be expected and should clear itself up in the coming months. Have you sent these donor pics to your surgeon? All the best!

• Like 2

Yes I actually saw a dermatologist today, and was prescribed a topical to apply so I will see how that works. I have sent donor pics to surgeon - they mentioned shock loss and that it is still only 7 weeks post op. 

• Like 1

Ok so some shock loss has occurred, this can take some months to improve. As you have mentioned I really don’t think it’s a case of over harvesting, the post op pics don’t look like anything to be worried about. Please keep us updated 🙏

• Like 1

23 hours ago, emo24 said:

Appreciate the responses and definitely have eased my nerves for now, only time will tell. @Gokuhairline I've followed your procedures for a while now, your results are crazy! 

thanks bro. 7 months today. happy with results . you will start seeing growth around 3-4 month mark and take off 6+ 

• 1 month later...

So you can find the pre-op, post-op pics above. the attached photos were taken with camera flipped so what you see in the pic as left, is really the right side. Next saturday will be 3 months - I shaved my head down which was a mistake haha. So the biggest thing is the right side of my donor zone is really thin (they took more grafts in this area), just like almost bald which makes me think its shock loss since my donor area pre-op was pretty thick. Also, the left side of my head, is really thin (by my left ear) where they didn't even take any grafts (reference my one day post-op pic) - which would lead me to believe shock loss. I also included a picture in harsher lighting of the right side which really shows the thinness. I got ~2300 grafts. Any thoughts on shock loss vs overharvest would be great. I understand I'll probably just need to give it more time and allow it to grow out but, please share your thoughts. Thanks!

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

Edited by emo24
  • Sad 1

@Gokuhairline No reasoning besides the doctor started on the right side and stopped when he got what he needed, is what they said. I know some other doctor's do the same thing, however, it's looking rather depleted. Going to grow it long to try and cover what I can. We'll know for sure around 6 months but not looking great right now.

Donor is looking pretty bad atm.  But this means nothing, as we all know, it could be shock loss and might come back in full in a few months.

hope it resolves itself man!

Check out my journey here:

@Fue3361 Thanks for being straight up - for real. If worse comes to worse I will have to get SMP and shave it down. Not the intended outcome but, we'll see. My hairline is looking good though which is a plus. Fantastic results on your end man! 

4 hours ago, emo24 said:

@Fue3361 Thanks for being straight up - for real. If worse comes to worse I will have to get SMP and shave it down. Not the intended outcome but, we'll see. My hairline is looking good though which is a plus. Fantastic results on your end man! 

That's what I consider forums to be for, no need to thank.  But yeah, still good chance you get a great result, hope that donor fills in!

As for mine, thanks, I'm very happy with it.  

Check out my journey here:

Thanks for sharing. I think you have to be patient and wait till you are 6-8 months and I would guess that donor would look a lot better. 

However, I do not understand why Dr Cortez did not spread out the extraction a lot more. You have such a nice donor area. 

Keep those updates coming!

@OliverAtom Thank you for the reassurance. I am confused as well but, plan to go see him again this month and have him take a look and do a PRP session in the donor and recipient. After 2 months I was freaking out and the donor area had grown longer on the left side with decent coverage but right side was still thin (and shaved it down which was a mistake), so I am hoping just growing out the coverage will help in time. I will keep you all updated!

HMR is notorious for overharvesting one side of the head more. I went there so I would know. Although, mine did recover with time/ minoxidil on the donor zone after 3 months. Give that a try in the near future and see if that works for you. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, Greenlantern2020 said:

HMR is notorious for overharvesting one side of the head more. I went there so I would know. Although, mine did recover with time/ minoxidil on the donor zone after 3 months. Give that a try in the near future and see if that works for you. Good luck!

i think that is unfair to say such a blanket statement like that , I would also know cause I went there and I am perfectly fine...as many others who have made threads...so its only you and this thread starter ( who we still are unsure if its over harvest or a late shockloss) good luck

Maybe so, but if you look up El Tio Juan Carlos, his nephew mentioned the same thing. Overall when you see people's videos from HMR one side is always a bit more harvested. Not adding to the fear factor, because a great portion of people recover well. However, in the initial stages it can be tough.

Edited by Greenlantern2020
  • Sad 1

Just had a consultation with HMR in TJ after reviewing your HT (I personally think it looks great). Very friendly and professional staff at your service. The only thing I noted was that my consultation was with the assistant, not the doctor. I thought that by making an in person appointment/consultation the doctor would've introduced himself. 

Edited by BMWFAN31
  • Confused 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Valued Contributor

This pops up a lot on the forum here. It certainly doesn’t look good atm but as others have said the best thing to do is wait. I’ve seen it take 8 months to recover but usually it takes around 6.

I wouldn’t say it was over harvested at all. At least not yet. Shockloss can be a total pain. I had a strip and at month 3 there was a little gap on my right side after using a 1” guard. There’s literally no comparison to what you’re experiencing but by month 5 it was better and by month 7 it was gone.

Currently this just looks like shockloss, to me, which should resolve itself.

I’ll be following along, though. I hope you stick around to 12 months! Your recipient looks great!

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 7:16 PM, emo24 said:

So you can find the pre-op, post-op pics above. the attached photos were taken with camera flipped so what you see in the pic as left, is really the right side. Next saturday will be 3 months - I shaved my head down which was a mistake haha. So the biggest thing is the right side of my donor zone is really thin (they took more grafts in this area), just like almost bald which makes me think its shock loss since my donor area pre-op was pretty thick. Also, the left side of my head, is really thin (by my left ear) where they didn't even take any grafts (reference my one day post-op pic) - which would lead me to believe shock loss. I also included a picture in harsher lighting of the right side which really shows the thinness. I got ~2300 grafts. Any thoughts on shock loss vs overharvest would be great. I understand I'll probably just need to give it more time and allow it to grow out but, please share your thoughts. Thanks!

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

Hey Man im on my 4.5 month post-Op HMR. we have the same problem! my right side was harvested more than the left. was it Dr Cortez who harvested or Dr. Guerero? the young doctor is Dr Guerero. he harvested mine. Dr Cortez planted. my hair line now is full at 4.5. i would say very happy with the density. also my donor looked like yours up to 3.5 months. now you cant even tell. hang in there it will cover up soon. you look like you have thin hair. yours probably 5-6 months donor area will be hidden. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabe said:

Hey Man im on my 4.5 month post-Op HMR. we have the same problem! my right side was harvested more than the left. was it Dr Cortez who harvested or Dr. Guerero? the young doctor is Dr Guerero. he harvested mine. Dr Cortez planted. my hair line now is full at 4.5. i would say very happy with the density. also my donor looked like yours up to 3.5 months. now you cant even tell. hang in there it will cover up soon. you look like you have thin hair. yours probably 5-6 months donor area will be hidden. 

Hey! appreciate the response. I think Guerero harvested mine and Cortez planted as well. I just passed 4 months and my hairline is starting to look good, it is filling in quite nicely. I just passed 4 months yesterday and will most likely give an update at the 5 month mark. Thanks for the reassurance and I'll keep you posted. The hairs are very thin after surgery so hoping this is just transient, as pre op the donor was quite full. I also will say I had a moderate case of folliculitus from month 2 to 3 in the donor area, so its been through some trauma with the surgery and infection. Happy growing