Lighting Matters!

I was going through a few threads recently and I've noticed lots of photos are being taken in really flattering light. I get it, it looks better in low light, or in the car. It's the real "illusion of density" to me, haha!

To those sharing photos, thanks! But for the same of honesty and accuracy, try to add some light.

Here's my hairline directly in front of a window on a sunny day, and a picture taken about 15 feet away from the window.   

Month-16-Left.thumb.jpg.15b4754dfd09035102568aad447b3a5b.jpg

• Like 3

• Administrators

Absolutely, lighting is so important. Even angles will change the appearance. 

289FBF6D-F7AA-498D-B96B-7E42F028531C.jpeg

93463BAC-9E95-4801-8584-291462AD68FD.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

48 minutes ago, SeanToman said:

My progress at six months.  Pointing at a window compared to pointing away from a window. :)
Recently discovered that lighting attacks hard.

image.thumb.png.7a138d349a6dab2b269200c2d980b144.png

Wow! If you're final result looks like that second pic, you should be excited! 

10 hours ago, MachoVato said:

Wow! If you're final result looks like that second pic, you should be excited! 

Hi, Thank you!

Being honest, I'm worried that my hair will be too thin.  

I'm at the six month Mark and honestly it seems a lot of people do not have any change between 6 months and 12 months.  The hair only gets longer.

What are your thoughts sir?

Great result by the way. :)

9 minutes ago, SeanToman said:

Hi, Thank you!

Being honest, I'm worried that my hair will be too thin.  

I'm at the six month Mark and honestly it seems a lot of people do not have any change between 6 months and 12 months.  The hair only gets longer.

What are your thoughts sir?

Great result by the way. :)

The difference between month 6 and month 12 is dramatic. Lots of hair has not grown yet, hair density increases and quality improves. Take lots of pics of your hair now and then the same pics at month 9 and 12. You'll see!

• Like 1

Machovato,

You’re absolutely right. Lighting makes the difference in determining how your hair looks at any given moment. As you correctly stated, low lighting will make your hair look thicker and fuller while harsh lights will make your hair look thinner.

On the other hand however, outside lighting and sunlight will make your hair look more natural whereas Indoor lighting will make your hair look a lot better or a lot worse depending on the type of lighting.  Not only that but the angle and direction of the lighting will make a difference. I find that indoor, cool lighting coming from the ground, mid section or even straight away will make your hair look a lot thicker than it is. It has to do with the way the shadow falls on the scalp. Even some cool lighting from above can do this.  Lighting that comes in from the back, especially harsh light will often make your hair look thinner.

People have asked me, if lighting makes a difference and your hair looks different under so many different conditions, then which condition exactly is you’re true result?   My answer is, “all of them“.  Why? Because your hair is your hair and you take it with you wherever you go.

That’s why in addition to lighting,  you are to pay attention to the several other factors that affect how your hair looks.   This includes whether your hair is wet or dry, the length of your hair, how you style it, etc.  And then there are the surgical factors which include how many grafts you have transplanted, the density per square centimeter, placement and of course the physiological factors such as the density of each individual hair, your hair color to scalp color ratio, your height (whether you are taller or shorter than people around you), etc.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant  

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, SeanToman said:

@Melvin- Moderator
Is the image you provided after your latest hair transplant?
Just wondering as I can see little hairs sprouting beyond your hairline.

Yes they’re my latest pictures 2 months post-op. Still in the ugly duckling phase.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Great post!  Lighting matters for some folks indeed, but for folks with a failure or bad result, it looks really bad with it on or off.  Even if you step in and out of a pool with lighting changes— can make some varying differences.  Hair concealers can show more with there is more lighting vs lower light levels.  

Macho, Sean, Melvin, You guys above look great either way in light.  I’d be happy to be in those shoes . Wish I can turn back time.  Trying to still get repaired to get out of the situation.  Even if I apply toppik, it looks unnatural due to shocked hairs, gaps, and some scarring. Left hanging but trying to survive this all.  

Take the lighting concept you used just for hair and apply it to taking pictures in general. The angle and direction of light is a HUGE factor in making things look better or worse, even your hair/face that haven't had any work done on em lol

Personally i think we all wish we could get those unlimited hair grafts today that Stemson seem to be indicating are on the horizon but until then, i think we just have to manage with what we had. 

I do think that only a lucky few manage a second hair transplant for anything close to native density and usual much down the lane.