BHR Clinic - I Have Utilised All Scalp Availability. Can I Use Pubic and Underarm Hair?

As we see body hair FUE performed much more commonly and become a great tool for patients with extensive loss and/or donor limitations, it is natural for individuals to seek even more potential sources for restoration.

With the standard and more reliable body source being from the beard, the chest is then generally the next consideration.

Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Kostis and Melvin discuss the potential usage of "wet" hair for restoration and if it is a wise donor source to use via #FUE?

• Like 5

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Can someone summarize this. Unable to view video? 
has anyone tried it and if so how were the results. I believe the sebaceous gland doesn’t grow back once transplanted so sweating shouldn’t be an issue. 

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

Can someone summarize this. Unable to view video? 
has anyone tried it and if so how were the results. I believe the sebaceous gland doesn’t grow back once transplanted so sweating shouldn’t be an issue. 

Is it still not working?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@shiba1985

Sorry if you may have had an issue with playing the video. It seems to have possibly been a temporary glitch as it does appear to be working fine when I and others have checked.

The follicular unit for scalp will traditionally also contain the sebaceous glands as part of the structure and be kept in-tact. The difference with what we call "wet" hair, are the then associated apocrine glands that are also larger in size and will not need to be transplanted with the follicle structure as such.

• Like 1

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• Valued Contributor

Well I for one can actually admit that I ended up using 232 pubic grafts to fill in old and ugly donor scars in the back of my head. I don’t know how many will survive as I am only 6 weeks post op. But with my curly hair type I think it was worth it and means any beard grafts left can be used in the future if need be for another procedure. 

• Like 2

Just now, Gatsby said:

Well I for one can actually admit that I ended up using 232 pubic grafts to fill in old and ugly donor scars in the back of my head. I don’t know how many will survive as I am only 6 weeks post op. But with my curly hair type I think it was worth it and means any beard grafts left can be used in the future if need be for another procedure. 

If one can ask, did it heal pretty invisibly? 🤔

4 hours ago, Gatsby said:

video works for me.

i would be very curious to know how this turns out. keep us posted. I am sure it will grow. It seems to be "tough" hair. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I have had SMP in the old donor scars but one thing I would like from the 'pubic plucking' is to vascularize the donor area by having grafts placed into the scar tissue. If the grafts grow in all the better!

delete

Edited by shiba1985

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, sl said:

Good luck with that Gatsby..We have seen body hair to donor scars bring about more blood, change in colour and warmth come back even when placed at low density..it is a good primer for more work..

Many thanks. It was a last minute decision by Dr Pradeep as I had given him a wish list of my goals. Placing grafts into my donor scars was last on my list and as I have SMP covering the scars I didn’t expect or think it was going to happen. But Dr Pradeep couldn’t do enough and after the five long days of surgery it was his decision and while I was there I thought it was a great idea as it wouldn’t mean wasting any precious scalp/beard grafts for any future work if needed. 🙏

• Like 1

• Moderators

Dr Sanusi Umar has taken underarm hair in extreme cases, but I don't know how well that particular hair grew.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.