Dr. Hasson | 3,000 graft | 31M Caucasian | Documenting the Journey

Nordster34

Hi everyone! I've been a long time lurker and beneficiary of all the great content and advice on this community. Documenting my journey every step of the way feels like the right way to give back! My FUE is scheduled for a couple weeks from now (March 2022) with Dr. Hasson of H&W. They've quoted ~3,000 grafts at ~$22-25k all-in. Money was not the primary factor for me, and I was choosing between Dr. Konior, Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Hasson. Based on all the great reviews here and patient results, it was extremely difficult to differentiate between these top docs. The final decision mainly came down to timing logistics. Btw, if anyone thinks I'm making a mistake here (i.e., thinks based on my situation I'd be a fool to pick Hasson over Konior or Shapiro given budget isn't an issue), please let me know! 

I've scheduled the procedure for mid-March, have paid the deposit, and have booked my flights, hotels, etc.! I'm definitely excited, and also pretty nervous. I'm less nervous about the surgery itself (I don't think it'll be very painful), but more about whether I've picked the right doc, how long it'll take for me to be able to get back to work (i.e., join zoom calls with video on and without a hat), whether people will be able to tell I've had an HT, and whether FUE over FUT was the right choice (Konior, for example, recommended FUT to preserve donor region for later). 

Since the goal here is to document the journey, I'm attaching a detailed set of before pics! These pics show my current hairline (dry), my super super rough approximate sketch of a potential new hairline (I'm going to rely very heavily on the Dr for the design as I am not good at this kind of thing), current hairline (wet), and side view. Let me know if there are other things I can share that'd be helpful to the community! 

*PS - I do have one question that I'd really like some input on! I know some docs don't require shaving the recipient region. H&W wants to shave the whole head, but I've seen patients of theirs keep the adjacent hairline hair longish. I understand that I'll have to shave the donor area and am cool with that. Does anyone have experience not shaving the recipient area? Since I work mainly over zoom and need to show my face, it'd be awesome if I could preserve as much of the existing hairline hair as possible. Tbh: I look horrendous with buzzed hair. and it would be awesome if I could preserve as much of the existing top/front hair as possible... Anyone not shave their recipient area?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Nordster34
Minor typo / phrasing
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I’ll be following your journey closely thanks for sharing 🙏🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Very excited for you. I’m scheduled for FUE with Hasson (3000 grafts) in July. So I’ll definitely be following your posts as your case is the same as mine and I’m 4 months behind you.

Kent

• Valued Contributor

Dr Victor Hasson is brilliant with FUE and creating soft hairlines. I can't see a reason for wanting to change from the great choice of surgeon that you have made. I have only had my transplant surgery performed shaved. I would speak with Dr Hasson about your concerns. My personal take on this is that if it was me I would want to do everything that makes the job for the surgeon easier so that it will benefit you in terms of results. I totally understand your concerns though. Wishing you all the best and I look forward to following your results. Thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a HT with Dr. Hasson this July. I am quite nervous about the anesthetic injections - hopefully they wont be too painful. You and I have very similar hairlines, so I will be looking forward to following your results. Please let me know what kind of hairline he recommends for you!! I am hoping for something straight (as opposed to a widows peak) but feel certain they'll go this route to make it look more natural! 

Oh wow. I’m July too with Hasson and also nervous about the anaesthetic injections. I’m scheduled for 3000 FUE for hairline and corners. I’ll post before and after pics and updates. Looking forward to seeing both of yours. 

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

Oh wow. I’m July too with Hasson and also nervous about the anaesthetic injections. I’m scheduled for 3000 FUE for hairline and corners. I’ll post before and after pics and updates. Looking forward to seeing both of yours. 

Likewise, I am also in the 3000-3500 range for my FUE. Very nervous about handling those injections - I have heard it's quite unpleasant. But you will have to let me know how yours goes!!! Mine is the very end of the month, so I suspect you'll be up first!! Let me know how you found it!!

Yes, my date is July 14 so I’m a week or two ahead of you. I too would like a straight hairline but will go with what Dr Hasson recommends. I’m excited about a distinctive hairline. That’s my main goal. Looking forward to slicking my hair back. lol 

16 hours ago, Kent said:

Yes, my date is July 14 so I’m a week or two ahead of you. I too would like a straight hairline but will go with what Dr Hasson recommends. I’m excited about a distinctive hairline. That’s my main goal. Looking forward to slicking my hair back. lol 

Are you flying in?? I am also nervous about flying home with a swollen head haha. But that's amazing, please keep me posted how yours goes!! That'll help ease some of my own anxiety about going. Hopefully those injections are a breeze!

Where are you travelling from? Do you have a long flight? I’m sure a loose fitting hat will get you home safe and sound. Fortunately I don’t need to travel as I live in Vancouver.  I’m planning on going directly home after the procedure and hiding out. lol I’m a teacher and get July and August off which gives me time to heal before I’m back in the classroom. I’d like to keep it private from the students - although I’m sure they’d be supportive and curious. 

4 hours ago, Kent said:

Where are you travelling from? Do you have a long flight? I’m sure a loose fitting hat will get you home safe and sound. Fortunately I don’t need to travel as I live in Vancouver.  I’m planning on going directly home after the procedure and hiding out. lol I’m a teacher and get July and August off which gives me time to heal before I’m back in the classroom. I’d like to keep it private from the students - although I’m sure they’d be supportive and curious. 

Alberta!! I'll be flying to/from Calgary. My day to day life wont be an issue, but the flight scares me. I'm almost positive security will make me take off the hat, and for those 3-4 minutes I will be mortified hahaha. But I guess it's just trying not to care what others think. I would gladly take that over the anesthetic pain (if it's truly as bad as I have heard). Hopefully both are a breeze. 

Hi all! 

I wanted to post an update. Procedure is finished. I'm feeling quite confused. A mix of uncertainty, anxiety, fear, and simply feeling I lack the expertise to know how this is all going to turn out and if the quality of service I received was as world-class as H&W's reputation... I could really use some perspective from the community!!! My questions for you guys are at the bottom...

Details as follows. Trigger warning, there are some yucky post-op photos below, so skip this if you are squeamish about post-transplant pics: 

Pre-Consult (day 0):

1. I was originally quoted 3,000 grafts at $22k. Price was not my primary deciding factor. 
  2. I had my in-person consult with Dr. Hasson the day before the procedure and it went well. I felt confident coming out of the convo and felt like he understood my goals. I wrote down a script of what I would ask him for on my phone before the meeting, which I'll paste here:
    • "My goal with regard to the donor region and the hairline design is to be conservative, subtle, soft, refined, futureproof and age appropriate for decades to come. I am not looking for a 'McMansion' of a hairline. I am looking for something subtle, tasteful, mature, timeless and dignified."
    • Additionally, as I shared in my original post, I drafted an extremely rough design for what I thought that might look like, which he saw. I also stated very respectfully, "I understand you are a world-class professional in this field with decades of experience, so my plan is to respect that expertise and I will defer to your judgement as to what a conservative, refined, futureproof hairline should look like."
    • I also said "I'm hoping we can leave as much long hair as possible on the top and maybe even a little bit on the front of the sides so that I can get back on zoom as quickly as possible." To that he said "absolutely no problem, we can leave quite a bit of hair and after 10 days or so, you can go to your barber and get it cut and faded so that it looks like a fairly normal short on the sides and long on top style"
    • I know all of this is what was said verbatim as I read my dialogue off my phone during our meeting
  3. Concluding the in-person consult, he let me know that he likes my approach, understands my goals, and is confident I'll be thrilled with the results. He said some light temple work would be appropriate (which I agreed with and was expected going in). He stated that he did not think 3,000 grafts would be enough to accomplish my goals, and that I should expand the session to cover 2 days (3k grafts is the max they can do in one day) and guessed it would be somewhere around 4,000 grafts
  4. While I of course wished it could be a one-day thing, I agreed that he is the expert and that I would defer to his experience, so we expanded it to a two-day procedure with a TBD number of grafts (he said the guess was 4,000 but the exact number would be determined by the end of day 1)
  5. I did ask if the contemplated amount of grafts would leave some donor area available for future touch ups, and he said yes absolutely and said that I have wonderful donor hair.
  6. The overall consult lasted ~20 minutes

Procedure Day 1:

1. Dr. Hasson spent time looking at my hairline and sketching out some options. This morning sketching session lasted 30 minutes. We sketched out the following hairline, which I thought aligned with my goals, so we agreed to proceed!
  2. Picture1-emf.thumb.jpg.7974c65cc0e28c77e4d7c871520da90a.jpg
  3. After this session, I was given a valium and a sleeping pill to begin the harvesting procedure. You lie on a massage like table with face down. The anesthetic injections are indeed the most painful part. I recommend finding something you can squeeze (I think I squeezed the chair's armrest, which really helped). 
  4. Harvesting was done by one of Dr. Hasson's very experienced techs and took probably a couple of hours to harvest 2900 grafts. 
  5. After harvesting was done, the next act was Dr. Hasson's placement of incisions. He was able to place approximately 100 incisions per minute, and asks the patient to click a counter each time he hits 100 (so we got to 29 clicks on the counter). As such, he was in the room for about 30 minutes. 
  6. After lunch, the next act was the most time-consuming one: implantation. Two experienced tech simultaneously were implanting follicles into the incisions until around 7pm (with stretching breaks every ~1hour). They said this was relatively rapid for 2900 grafts and that it can be slower depending on scalp conditions (apparently my scalp was very easy/quick) 
  7. Day 1 was long overall, but I know these are generally long procedures and given the amount of grafts (2900), mine was actually quite efficient. We started the day at 7am and I was out by about 7:30pm
  8. The day 1 procedure focused on and completed the hairline part (hairline alone took 2900 grafts), and left the temples for day 2.

Procedure Day 2:

1. We again began at 7am, but this time Dr. Hasson didn't swing by early on. We went straight into harvest mode. Same drill as last time: flat on the table, painful anesthetic, highly experienced tech begins punching out follicles. Head starts out quite tender on day 2, so the day is more painful generally. But otherwise it's pretty much the same.
  2. When the extraction was done, I was surprised to hear that we harvested 1600 grafts on day 2 (vs the 1000 I was expecting from the pre-consult), but again, my instinct is to trust this world-class Dr and I really wasn't worried about it. They are world-class for a reason! 
  3. After harvest, Dr. Hasson came in to begin incisions. I asked him to hold off on starting right away so that we could take 5 minutes to discuss the temples. The temples they drew on day 2 looked much bigger and pointier than what we had agreed to on day 1. I tried explaining that they angled inward, were pointier, and were larger than we had drawn before, but the Dr. basically said nope, these are totally appropriate temples and it'll be great. Again, my inclination is to trust the expert. This is his domain of expertise, not mine, and he has a better eye for what will look good due to his decades of experience and success.
  4. Dr. Hasson did about 16 minutes of incisions (16 clicks on the counter), and headed out to look after another patient. 
  5. From that point onwards, the tech completed the implantation, which lasted until almost 5pm. 
  6. Upon looking at the result before leaving, I was quite shocked to see the hairline as it was much more aggressive than I was expecting! The angles are all extremely sharp (I was looking for something way more subtle). The temples seem quite pointy and extend inwards towards the face a massive amount. Pictures below. Note: the white stuff on the transplant area is antibiotic ointment that they applied at the end of the procedure, the white tape/cloth behind is bandages.
  7. 1146647650_image(5).png.d62a068a34863731c3ec5bf844be0037.png
  8. 364760331_image(6).png.b5b886b7f0208692765d994d37adf651.png
  9. 1869775978_image(7).png.c0896e5bcad4013d98854613cf6d7bea.png
  10. 1796580264_image(8).png.887acf4519263c3e8de19ff79731794b.png

I'm really hoping you guys can talk me off the ledge here and tell me that this is going to be a great, conservative, mature hairline (like I asked for). I'm honestly really confused. I trust Dr. Hasson and I trust H&W's reputation a ton, I've just been feeling a bit freaked out since I saw myself in the mirror after leaving the clinic a few hours ago. I really would love people's advice and perspective on whether they think the transplant and hairline look good, look like what I asked for (subtle, refined, mature, conservative), and whether I should change my flights and try to set up an appointment to go back in on Monday in case any adjustments are possible/needed. 

Also, random question. I can't seem to move my right eyebrow at all. Just the right one. Is this normal? Also, as can be seen in the pics, my head is quite swollen. Looks like a beluga whale.

I plan continue to keep this updated regularly as the hair grows in, etc. so that you all can see the final results.  

Thanks everyone!

Finally, I figured I'd answer a few FAQs to help out the community:
I know many people wonder how involved the Dr. is vs. how much is done by his staff, so I will try to answer all of those questions here:

1. Patients per day: How many patients does Dr. Hasson see per day? 
    • I called the office three weeks prior to the surgery to ask questions, and I took notes on the answers. I specifically asked "will he have multiple patients per day?" The quoted answer from his team member was "he only does one patient per day." As it turns out, each of Dr. Hasson and Dr. Wong typically have two patients per day (four patients in the office total). Dr. Hasson and Dr. Wong have two separate teams of staff, who mostly don't overlap and are specially trained to work with their respective Dr. 
    • During the procedure, I asked if the Dr. typically has one primary session each day and perhaps one smaller session that day (totaling two sessions, sort of like how my day 2 was much smaller & fewer grafts), and the team informed me that this is not the case and it simply depends on the day. Some days both doctors have two 3,000+ graft sessions going simultaneously (4 total).
    • This makes business sense to me and, as long as the result is great, I really don't mind this type of efficiency. I just wish they had been more upfront about it.
  2. Parts of Procedure done by the Dr.: I also asked on my 3-week prior call whether Dr. Hasson will be personally doing the angulation & hairline part & incisions. I was told that he personally does all the incisions, which did end up being true. The harvest and the implanting of the follicles into the incisions are done by his staff and the Dr. is not present in the room for any of that part.
  3. Debrief/Follow-Up: This was something I was very surprised to discover and didn't think to ask in advance. After both day 1 (I left around 7:30pm) and day 2 (I left around 5pm, work was done around 4:30pm), Dr. Hasson did not come by to check on the implantations and confirm everything was done correctly. In fact, he was not present in the office when I departed on either day and did not plan to have any sort of in-person follow-up visit or debrief. His staff essentially gave me some instructions on how to care for the hair, told me what time to come back tmr when a single staff member would be in the office to do a wash of the hair/scalp, and essentially said have a nice life call us if there's any emergencies. This felt like a very unceremonious conclusion, especially at the end of day 2 when we were done with implantation by like 4:30. I had thought the Dr. would at least want to inspect the final work product and make sure it was done to his standard (esp. since the last time I had seen him was around 10:00am when he did incisions and he didn't stop by at all during the implantation). One rec I'd have for the clinic to improve the patient experience would be to at least provide some sort of conclusion to the procedure where the Dr. confirms that everything looks good and is up to standard.
  4. Quality of Staff: I will give a huge shoutout to the quality of the staff. They were all fantastic, comforting, kind, and very professional and experienced. They all had between 6 at the lowest and 24 at the highest years of experience in this field. I knew they were providing fantastic care, and I'm sure Dr. Hasson knows this as well which is why he feels comfortable letting them run things pretty autonomously. 
  5. Overall: Overall, I think the only thing that really matters here is how this turns out 12 months from now. None of the above is meant to be a negative review of H&W. It is intended to be a totally honest, unbiased, unvarnished perspective. What I am 100% focused on is what this result looks like once it grows out. I think it's frankly too early to tell. That said, I really would love people's advice and perspective on whether they think the transplant and hairline look good / look like what I asked for, and whether I should set up an appointment to go back just in case any adjustments are possible/needed. 
Edited by Nordster34
  • Like 4

The temple work is amazing! The implants overall look clean and densely packed. Congratulations!

I’m scheduled with Dr Hasson (FUE ~3000 grafts for hairline/temporal area) in July. My hair is similar to yours. (Pics attached) I’d like a HT exactly like yours!!! Especially your temples.

Looking forward to your progress - I really appreciate your details! 

T

2F39AFED-88F8-443B-ABB8-D4013CF14E13.jpeg

C3758D03-B843-4B46-A1C6-428225186194.jpeg

The design seems fine to me. Nobody can really speak to the whether the result will be good until it grows in, but so far I don't see anything problematic.

3k seemed a bit light from your description of initial goals so I'm not surprised that the count went up once they had a chance to examine you in person and isn't uncommon, although 1,500 is a big fluctuation and a cost differential that could be problematic for some people. Doesn't seem to be the case for you though and as long as you have some don't left just in case I wouldn't worry 

Still looks conservative and should provide a good face frame. You just have to wait now and try to relax a bit. Waiting is the part people always complain about.

Quick update:

Day 3:

• Overall - Overall, I'm feeling a lot better about the hairline and temple design, thanks largely to some of the comments and DMs from folks here. I'm also thinking that once the swelling goes down, the temple point lines won't look so extreme and pointy.
  • Donor Hair - Unfortunately, I learned that they essentially saved zero donor hair. I think the harvester on Day 2 thought her job was just to take the rest of what was left, rather than to shoot for 1,000 grafts and leave some in reserve. This would explain why there was much more graft hair than needed for the temple points when Dr. Hasson was doing the incisions. He was essentially done with the temple point incisions when the counter was at 10 (aka 1000). He then had to search and search to figure out how to put remaining/extra 500-600 grafts to best use. Hopefully I don't end up needing any more donor hair for future touch-ups, but I do think we could've done the temples with 1000 grafts not 1600 and left the rest in reserve. Do ya'll think I should ask for some amount of refund or discount on these extraneous grafts or is that just nickel and diming? 
  • Hair Wash - I went in this morning and the staff member doing the hair washing was extremely polite, professional, gentle, and thorough with the hair wash. In addition to washing both the donor and recipient area (and the untouched area on top), she also took photos for their records. She provided me with some antibiotic ointment and instructions on how to wash on my own and how to apply the ointment afterwards
  • Able to Move Eyebrow Again - As noted in day 2, I lost the ability to move my right eyebrow completely. Thankfully, this was temporary! I've regained the ability to move my right eyebrow, so that's nice!
  • Swelling - Head was definitely swollen yesterday (which is visible in the pics), and face has become wayyyy more swollen today. Large puffy bags under eyes, large swollen temples, puffed out cheeks, etc. My face is now indistinguishable from an orangutan. I'm sure this will go away in a few days.
  • 3,048 Orangutan Face Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock
    • ^^ Me right now.
  • Pain - Pain is more of a minor annoyance than a real issue. Spots on my head are sore and tender, but not terrible. 
  • Itchiness - Itching is worse than the pain. You definitely don't want to scratch anywhere on your head (you risk damaging the grafts). The funny thing is, most of the itchiness is on the top of my head (where I had no work done and which was not used as donor), and that area is totally numb! So even if I touch it lightly, I feel absolutely nothing (aka there is no way to get rid of the itch lol). Will just try to distract myself from it and hopefully it'll go away! 

Other Tips:

• Travel - The clinic only books you I think 2 days at the local hotel. This is not enough. I proactively extended my reservation and flight such that I would fly out on day 5. This was before I knew the surgery was going to be extended to a 2-day session (so I have one fewer day of recovery time than I thought). I'm still extremely glad I extended things, as under their plan I'd be flying out today. I can't imagine trying to travel today or even tomorrow. Even traveling the day after tomorrow when I'm scheduled seems like it'll be uncomfortably early, but I'm so glad I have another day and a half to recover before I get on a plane. 
Edited by Nordster34
  • Like 2

Happy to hear you’re feeling more positive about your procedure. I’m surprised to hear the clinic mixed up your day 2 extraction count. Wtf? However, the 500 - 600 graft difference isn’t overly significant for future need. You have every right to raise this as an issue in my opinion.  But don’t let that detract from your amazing HT from a great FUE doc. I know that’s easy for me to say but I may need you to give me similar advice when I get my HT in July.

Very happy and excited for you! You did it !!!

I'm a little surprised to hear that the clinic thinks your donor is tapped out already. I would have thought you would have at least a little left. Did this information come from the doctor? What did he say about future reserves during the pre-surgery eval?

• Like 1

Just wanted to give a day 6 update and answer a couple questions that came up. 

Day 6:

• Flight: The flight (yesterday) wasn't terrible. My tip for others would be that one more day at the hotel would've been a nice to have. Flying involves a lot of potential things bumping into your head or at least touching it. You definitely want to put on a hat or bandana, which shouldn't impact things too much but will definitely still rub on the transplant area a bit. You're also going to be getting into / out of cars, putting things into / out of overhead bins, etc. etc. and I think one additional day to let the swelling and tenderness decrease, and more importantly to let the grafts settle a bit more, would've been ideal. Travel ended up being fine and I didn't have any issues, but I would've booked one more night at the hotel had I known my procedure would stretch into 2-days.
  • Swelling: Swelling has decreased a ton and I'm almost totally back to normal. The pattern of swelling was quite interesting in that it has basically followed gravity. At first the swelling was mostly in the graft areas and forehead, then it moved towards eyes and cheeks, then towards jaw, and now almost gone. 
  • Healing: Recipient area and donor area both seem to be healing nicely. Not posting pics today as there isn't rly much of an update on how it looks other than it generally just looks pretty normal. I don't seem to have any of the scabbing or flaking that I've seen in other posts, which is nice. At this point it just looks like I have an extremely weird buzzcut (long hair remains on top but sides, back, and front all buzzed...)
  • Donor Hair Available: Since the Dr. didn't stop by at the end of the procedure (I think this is something they should change as it just doesn't feel ideal that the Dr. doesn't check on it at the end), I didn't get any definitive answer to how much donor hair I still have in reserve. One of the techs simply mentioned offhand that there wasn't much left. At the same time, the Dr. said at the beginning that I have wonderful and dense donor hair (his words), so hopefully there still is more (which hopefully I don't end up needing)
  • Hairline: I'm overall feeling better about the hairline design. I think the pattern of swelling on that first day really exacerbated the pointiness of the temples and made me think the hairline different than what we drafted. They still did more temple work than I expected and harvested more hair than I think they intended to (seems they simply decided to put that extra hair to use doing a bit more temple work). I do wish they'd done a few hundred fewer grafts and maybe been a tad more conservative with the temple design. Right now, hairline design is conservative and temple design is a bit more young/aggressive. I think this is a result of the overharvest on day 2 (temple day). Overall, though, I'm feeling good about the look and am hopeful that this will be a great result once it starts to grow out! 
  • Hair Style & Back to Work: While the Dr. had seemed optimistic that I'd be able to keep long hair on top and would be able to get back to work via zoom with a "high and tight" type cut (they advised going to a barber about 2 weeks post op and getting it faded to a high & tight style), I think this was a bit overly optimistic. I think my hair will look strange for quite a while, and just going with a buzzcut might've been a better call. Unfortunately the "queue" hairstyle I'm currently rocking is a few centuries out of date:
  • The Manchu queue: One hairstyle to rule them all – SupChina
  • ^^ my current hairstyle

Tips: I'll continue to add tips as I think of them, but the whole goal of this is to share back with y'all so here are a few tips:

• Have a Netflix show (that's available to stream in Canada) that you're ready to binge. They allow you to which Netflix for a lot of the procedure (but didn't seem to have HBO, Prime Video, Disney+, Hulu, etc... just Netflix). A super captivating binge-worthy watch will make the time go by much faster and will honestly make things a lot more comfortable
  • Give yourself 72hrs before you fly out. I flew out at about hour 60 post op. This was doable but I really do wish I had a bit more time. My rec would be to give yourself 72hrs minimum in the hotel before air travel.
  • Book a nice room. The hotel they reserved for me is the Sheraton Wall Center. I upgraded my room to a corner unit (the rooms that end in 54 and 61 in the north tower). While I don't know what the other rooms look like, I'm pretty sure this was super worth it. You're going to be spending a lot of time in that room if you follow my advice above, so you might as well make it a nice one! 
  • Have something to do in the hotel. You will likely want something to do in the hotel in addition to just watching netflix etc. You're not allowed to do any exercise post op, so I recommend bringing something else to occupy the time. I ended up doing a decent amount of work and catching up on a lot of emails, but given you'll very likely have a headache and be somewhat out of it, work probably isn't going to be the best thing to occupy all of your time. I decided at the last minute to bring a PS5 in my checked bag, and PS5+work+book+netflix ended up being a great way to pass the time. 
  • Set up follow-up visits in the immediate post-op days: coming in the day after the procedure to have the staff member wash my hair was a great call. It wasn't just a normal wash, she was extremely careful and thorough and used some tiny foreceps to remove some scabs (so I have had basically zero scabs since that first morning post-op). I think going in the first day post op is a must. Ideally, I would've been able to go in again the following two days, but I had to fly out.   
  • Give yourself plenty of time to heal: I made sure my team at work knew I'd be out of office for a while and that I'd be audio-only on most zoom meetings for a bit after that. I'm really glad I don't have to jump on video anytime soon. 
  • Like 3

Just wanted to give a day 12 update! 

Day 12:

• Swelling: Swelling is totally gone and probably disappeared completely by day 8 (although after about day 6 I doubt anyone other than me could've noticed the residual swelling). 
  • Recipient Area Healing: Recipient area seems to be healing nicely. I've posted some updated recipient area pics below.
  • Donor Area Healing: Donor area also looks like it's healing nicely, but there has been some residual pain and tightness in the donor area. Tylenol mostly takes care of it and hopefully it'll be gone soon. It does seem to be getting a tad less painful each day, but it was painful enough to impact sleep on days 6-11.
  • Hairline Design: I still feel they did more temple work than needed on day 2 because of the overharvest. This resulted in a more aggressive temple line than was desirable—they pulled the temples a bit further forward than I'd have liked & what was originally designed. This aggressive temple line is unbalanced relative to the hairline which was kept pretty high/conservative. I keep wishing I'd just suggested to them on day 2 to add a tad more to the hairline instead of allocating all of the overharvest to increasing the temples. Basically, the temples are located and sloped inwards more than was necessary and give the top section of my face a narrow look (hard to see in the anonymized pics since I've cut off everything below the eyebrows). Bottom line, the result is a pear-shaped face with the bottom half of my face seeming wider than the top half. Overall, though, I'm still trying to stay hopeful that this will grow out nicely and look great by month 12. 
  • Hair Style & Back to Work: My wife keeps suggesting I just buzz everything and I'll likely do that soon as the current style doesn't seem like it's going to look any better anytime soon... 

Pics:

206862926_Pic4.thumb.jpg.31029b0d00b28c31d40094877b766f39.jpg496501141_Pic3.thumb.jpg.af38a5a8a2f20de52cf55b54785463d1.jpg581925967_Pic2.thumb.jpg.e2785b70bd0a0585de98c50d8acfcaa9.jpg1123467189_Pic1.jpg.490f5abee8a18a0d42f8ab85552fe16c.jpg

Other:

• Bill/Invoice: I've decided I'm just going to pay the full invoice rather than ask them about the ~500 extra grafts and if they can discount those. It's only about a $3k difference and I don't think it's worth pursuing. 
Edited by Nordster34
  • Like 3

It looks really good! So happy for you. Can I respectfully disagree with your observations about your temples? I think they frame your face nicely and I can’t wait to see it grow out for you. Glad to hear you’re healing well. 

Question? Did you ever get your graft breakdown from Dr Hasson? Singles, doubles, multiples?

Excited to follow your progress!!

todd