Everything You Need to Know About BHT (Beard Hair Transplants)

• Administrators

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Great video. I've got a lot of patients asking me about using beard hairs for their scalp and will be showing them this video. Thanks for making this

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Thanks Melvin, very helpful. 

Really enjoy the short videos you present.

With 400 scalp hairs and 1600 beard hairs [estimate], given to me, to do my crown, this video raises a question.

When the beard hairs stop being in the growth phase, what does that actually mean? 

Does that mean they all fall out, and you are left with 400 scalp hairs, only visible?

If they disappear, making the crown very sparse, how long before they regrow back to create the denser look, and will this keep occurring  on and off, forever?

Also, does the beard hair eventually soften up to resemble the scalp hair more?

One more thing, is that 400/1600 ratio, of too many beard to scalp hairs, going to make the crown region an unusually different looking area to the rest of the head, and what would be a better ratio of hairs to blend in better.

thank you.

Andy

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/10/2022 at 8:43 AM, ANDYMAL said:

Thanks Melvin, very helpful. 

Really enjoy the short videos you present.

With 400 scalp hairs and 1600 beard hairs [estimate], given to me, to do my crown, this video raises a question.

When the beard hairs stop being in the growth phase, what does that actually mean? 

Does that mean they all fall out, and you are left with 400 scalp hairs, only visible?

If they disappear, making the crown very sparse, how long before they regrow back to create the denser look, and will this keep occurring  on and off, forever?

Also, does the beard hair eventually soften up to resemble the scalp hair more?

One more thing, is that 400/1600 ratio, of too many beard to scalp hairs, going to make the crown region an unusually different looking area to the rest of the head, and what would be a better ratio of hairs to blend in better.

thank you.

Andy

Good questions, some answers here would be helpfull @Melvin- Moderator

• Like 1

• Administrators

Beard hairs live a shorter amount of time. Beard hairs grow for about a year. Scalp hair grows for 3-5 years. So, the beard hair will enter the resting phase sooner. Which means less active hairs on your scalp at any given time. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 months later...

I was in contact with my Dr. asking if he did BHT. He says he does. 

But he mentioned that beard hair in the crown will go weird. I thought beard hair was best suited for the crown vs the hairline. I guess it is even better for just adding density?

The reason I bring this up is I want to manage my donor supply so that I have enough for future work. I want to make sure if my hairline needs re touching in the future that I have enough donors.

So my plan was to leverage my beard more for my second operation when the Dr. will work on my crown.

I am hoping he will do like 10 grafts from my beard during my first operation so I can see what potential scarring may look like. And also to see how the beard hair reacts on my scalp. Is this a bad idea?

I know you suggested that people should use their donor first before using beard hair. I understand beard hair has issues like shorter time of growth, etc. But I really want to save as much donor for a possible 3rd operation (which I hope I will never need).

So I really want to use beard hair to add density and to fill in my crown.

I'm sorry if this sounds like just random thoughts. Just trying to think of a good plan for my head lol. 

Thanks!

Thanks for the excellent video as always 

You got me a bit concerned about the redness on the neck. Most surgeons told me *no trace*. How are you doing there? Please update us over time? 

I spoke with Dr. about the idea of using beard and body hair to replenish the donor area, with the idea of keeping the hair short there so the difference in hair characteristics is not all too noticeable. Like this instead of using 3000 donor hair, I can use 4500 and replenish the donor with 2K body/beard hair. 

He said that in his 10 years of experience, only a couple of patients had any trace on beard. But he said body hair leaves FUE dots. 

Another surgeon who does not usually do BHT (so he is not advertising) told me that the neck will heal better than scalp, no trace. But confirmed that body hair does leave. 

I have an ungodly amount of beard and body hair... the hair on my stomach is smooth and not curly either. Just nervous about committing to this upper cut look for llfe. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Prof101 said:

You got me a bit concerned about the redness on the neck. Most surgeons told me *no trace*. How are you doing there? Please update us over time? 

This video was only one month afterwards, so a bit of redness is normal. I imagine it got a lot better over the next few months. My redness lasts a few months and even longer on my chest and stomach.

4 hours ago, Prof101 said:

He said that in his 10 years of experience, only a couple of patients had any trace on beard. But he said body hair leaves FUE dots. 

Another surgeon who does not usually do BHT (so he is not advertising) told me that the neck will heal better than scalp, no trace. But confirmed that body hair does leave. 

Almost no scars at all on my beard after several sessions totaling approximately 3000 beard grafts. There are tiny dots on my chest and stomach/abdomen, but you have to get very close to actually see them and besides that, how many people ever see me without a shirt? I'd much rather have hair on my head where people see it every day rather than a place on my chest and stomach where maybe 20 people see it the entire year. I can go to the beach and nobody can tell. As I said you have to get within a foot or two and look for them to notice. I mean a lot of people have freckles all over their body and they don't have any issues with it. This is nowhere near as bad as that.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

10 hours ago, BeHappy said:

This video was only one month afterwards, so a bit of redness is normal. I imagine it got a lot better over the next few months. My redness lasts a few months and even longer on my chest and stomach.

Almost no scars at all on my beard after several sessions totaling approximately 3000 beard grafts. There are tiny dots on my chest and stomach/abdomen, but you have to get very close to actually see them and besides that, how many people ever see me without a shirt? I'd much rather have hair on my head where people see it every day rather than a place on my chest and stomach where maybe 20 people see it the entire year. I can go to the beach and nobody can tell. As I said you have to get within a foot or two and look for them to notice. I mean a lot of people have freckles all over their body and they don't have any issues with it. This is nowhere near as bad as that.

Happy for you, and thanks for sharing. I was trying to find your documented results which I assumed you shared with the forum. But I only see the first procedure from scalp hair I think with Dr. Barghouti. 

Can you please point me to where you posted results from BHT?  would be super interested. 

What you describe regarding body hair sounds good (that one needs to come close to find anything). But how about the beard, how close you need to be to notice something? 

This is the big question for me, because the neck is out for the world to see everyday. Actually I have so much unwanted hair on my neck, that if the results were completely invisible, I would jump on that train. 

Thanks 

On 9/2/2022 at 10:31 AM, BeHappy said:

Almost no scars at all on my beard after several sessions totaling approximately 3000 beard grafts. 

@BeHappyMay I ask where those beard grafts went? I am guessing crown and mid scalp? I would like to test a few beard grafts when I get my hairine done. So I can plan for my follow up HT for crown/density. 

Any photos by chance? Happy with how it worked out? 

Thanks!

Edited by Needadviceplease

• Moderators
On 9/2/2022 at 11:20 AM, Prof101 said:

Happy for you, and thanks for sharing. I was trying to find your documented results which I assumed you shared with the forum. But I only see the first procedure from scalp hair I think with Dr. Barghouti. 

That is not me. I have a thread for my last procedure of 610 grafts taken from my beard. Total repair so far has been roughly 3000 grafts from my beard and 3000 grafts from my chest and abdomen. Here's the posts from my last procedure in December 2021. I haven't updated it in a while. I should probably do a 9 month update in the next week if I get time.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the video @Melvin- Moderator! You mentioned the difference in hair growth cycles for beard hair. I was wondering if you know, in a beard (neck) to beard (instead of to scalp) transplant if that means that the result comes in faster? Or is it still around the 4 months to see some growth and around 12 months for the final result? 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, New_Barnet_Please said:

Thanks for the video @Melvin- Moderator! You mentioned the difference in hair growth cycles for beard hair. I was wondering if you know, in a beard (neck) to beard (instead of to scalp) transplant if that means that the result comes in faster? Or is it still around the 4 months to see some growth and around 12 months for the final result? 

It's going to take several months to start growing because it has to shed and then start growing again as new hairs. If you are just looking for the stubble look in a beard then it won't take 12 months to get that look because it doesn't have to grow to any real length, however the individual hairs may be thinner for a while and gradually thicken up to 12 months or more, so you could see a somewhat decent beard at 5 or 6 months which will improve over the next 6 months.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

1 minute ago, BeHappy said:

It's going to take several months to start growing because it has to shed and then start growing again as new hairs. If you are just looking for the stubble look in a beard then it won't take 12 months to get that look because it doesn't have to grow to any real length, however the individual hairs may be thinner for a while and gradually thicken up to 12 months or more, so you could see a somewhat decent beard at 5 or 6 months which will improve over the next 6 months.

Awesome, not quite so long to wait then - cheers!