What to Expect at Eugenix

Hello all,

I’m scheduled to have a hair transplant with Eugenix at the end of March. I’ll be flying to India from Chicago and ,as a first time HT recipient, I wanted to hear from others (preferably those who have gone to Eugenix) on what to expect. Eugenix has estimated I need about 1800-2000 grafts for my frontal zone. Here are some general questions I have:

1) For those flying from the US what was the experience like traveling during covid? If I’m vaccinated do I still need to show a negative covid test upon departure and arrival in Delhi? 

2) My parents are from India and I’ve been there numerous times throughout my life. However, this will be the first time I’m going by myself as an adult. Since I can speak and understand Hindi and Punjabi I’m not worried about the cultural aspect. I am curious about things like how to use my phone, do I need to bring us electricity converters, do I primarily use my debit/credit card or is it better to use cash? My dad tells me he usually buys a sim card in India and puts it in his iPhone. I’ve never done this so I have no idea how to go about it. 

3) How painful is the procedure and what can I expect for the after care? Is the first night the most difficult as it pertains to sleep?

4) Eugenix recommends I stay for at least 4 days and on the 7th day I need to get my hair washed/cleaned. This can be done either by them or on my own. What are the pros and cons of both? I’m a little nervous about traveling so far and coming back home only to have issues related to after care/healing. 

5) What did you do in your down time in between getting the procedure and the flight back home? Was it mainly just resting at the hotel or going out and about? 

I appreciate the insight to any of these questions. I know it’s a lot but I feel a mixture of excitement, anxiousness and nervousness as I go into this and just want to arm myself with the most amount of info possible. I’ve read @Melvin- Moderatorwrite up on his eugenix experience and watched his videos on YouTube. Very impressed and would love if you could chime in 🙏🏾

• Administrators

1) yes Even you’re vaccinated you need to have a negative PCR test. 

2) India’s second language is English if you understand and speak Hindi you’ll be absolutely fine. Don’t worry about phone chargers there are converters.

3) It’s relatively painless. The after care is fit for a king. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

4) No need to stay past 2-3 days. Obviously a pro is they wash and clean for you, a con, you need to pay for accommodations.

5) I ate like a king, played cricket. Had a blast with other patients. It’s like a family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Midwestkid0324 said:

How painful is the procedure

It's painless for 95% of the procedure. The only painful part is the local anaesthesia/PRP injections at the very beginning. They hurt a lot especially at points of your scalp where there is low fat like your temples. After this, you won't feel a thing for the rest of the procedure. 

Edited by Mggm
  • Thanks 1

My procedure with Eugenix isn't until late June, but speaking from previous HT experience in India and from experience currently making arrangements for my next one:

With your phone, you will be able to buy an Indian style plug with USB output in the airport. You should be able to buy an Indian SIM in the airport too. If you don't buy an Indian SIM, keep your phone on Airplane Mode and just enable Wi-Fi. Don't roam unless you are aware of the (usually excessive) charges.

The pain isn't that bad, the needle pricks for the anaesthesia are the worst of it. If you do feel pain, then say something. More anaesthesia will be applied, or more time given for it to take effect. The procedure itself should be painless.

For my first procedure, I took cash as it was little more than AU$10k and I was happy to carry that amount in person. If you are not comfortable carrying cash, discuss payment options with Eugenix and most importantly, with your bank. Having a $10k+ charge suddenly pop up on your credit/debit card from India without prior warning to your bank would probably set off a few alarm bells or be declined.

I stayed for about five days after my first procedure, I wasn't in a hurry to be anywhere and preferred for the first few washings to be done by the clinic.

For my down time between the procedure and my flight, I mostly just watched TV and wandered around the streets within a couple of miles of my hotel. Let me just say, Indian food, cooked in India, is out of this world!

Be aware that the Covid-19 response is an ever-changing situation in India. For the first seven days, you will be restricted to your hotel and the Eugenix clinic. Have a read through https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/RevisedGuidelinesforInternationalArrivaldated20thJanuary2022.pdf which is the latest set of guidelines for international arrivals. You will have to upload a negative Covid-19 test result to the Air Suvidha portal before your departure to India.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hayden87 said:

My procedure with Eugenix isn't until late June, but speaking from previous HT experience in India and from experience currently making arrangements for my next one:

With your phone, you will be able to buy an Indian style plug with USB output in the airport. You should be able to buy an Indian SIM in the airport too. If you don't buy an Indian SIM, keep your phone on Airplane Mode and just enable Wi-Fi. Don't roam unless you are aware of the (usually excessive) charges.

The pain isn't that bad, the needle pricks for the anaesthesia are the worst of it. If you do feel pain, then say something. More anaesthesia will be applied, or more time given for it to take effect. The procedure itself should be painless.

For my first procedure, I took cash as it was little more than AU$10k and I was happy to carry that amount in person. If you are not comfortable carrying cash, discuss payment options with Eugenix and most importantly, with your bank. Having a $10k+ charge suddenly pop up on your credit/debit card from India without prior warning to your bank would probably set off a few alarm bells or be declined.

I stayed for about five days after my first procedure, I wasn't in a hurry to be anywhere and preferred for the first few washings to be done by the clinic.

For my down time between the procedure and my flight, I mostly just watched TV and wandered around the streets within a couple of miles of my hotel. Let me just say, Indian food, cooked in India, is out of this world!

Be aware that the Covid-19 response is an ever-changing situation in India. For the first seven days, you will be restricted to your hotel and the Eugenix clinic. Have a read through https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/RevisedGuidelinesforInternationalArrivaldated20thJanuary2022.pdf which is the latest set of guidelines for international arrivals. You will have to upload a negative Covid-19 test result to the Air Suvidha portal before your departure to India.

This is serious good information. Thank you.

I will be flying to Eugenix all the way from Malta, and i need as much info as possible. It seems like the most challenging part of getting the procedure is sorting out travel papers and hoping you dont get positive test in the process!

• Thanks 1

I would recommend staying about a week after the procedure, especially if you have a long flight back home.

Why?

1) Swelling may be really bad. After my transplant, my eyes were almost swollen shut and I looked like the mafia had beaten the crap out of me. Traveling like this will be both uncomfortable and may give you some issues when you look nothing like the guy in your passport photo...

2) I would wait until the grafts are completely secured, actually likely until day 9 in this case. Bumping your head is actually really easy to do, especially in an airplane. The lavatory is narrow and cramped, the overhead bins are low, if it happens you may dislodge grafts.

3) You will be tired if it is a big session. You want your body to rest and recover after these first few days, and traveling upwards of 20 hours will be tough on your body. You will be taking post-op antibiotics and potentially painkillers and it will be difficult to sleep and rest.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

1) yes Even you’re vaccinated you need to have a negative PCR test. 

2) India’s second language is English if you understand and speak Hindi you’ll be absolutely fine. Don’t worry about phone chargers there are converters.

3) It’s relatively painless. The after care is fit for a king. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

4) No need to stay past 2-3 days. Obviously a pro is they wash and clean for you, a con, you need to pay for accommodations.

5) I ate like a king, played cricket. Had a blast with other patients. It’s like a family.

Thanks for the feedback Marvin! I’ve heard and read nothing but positive reviews about Eugenix 

3 hours ago, asterix0 said:

I would recommend staying about a week after the procedure, especially if you have a long flight back home.

Why?

1) Swelling may be really bad. After my transplant, my eyes were almost swollen shut and I looked like the mafia had beaten the crap out of me. Traveling like this will be both uncomfortable and may give you some issues when you look nothing like the guy in your passport photo...

2) I would wait until the grafts are completely secured, actually likely until day 9 in this case. Bumping your head is actually really easy to do, especially in an airplane. The lavatory is narrow and cramped, the overhead bins are low, if it happens you may dislodge grafts.

3) You will be tired if it is a big session. You want your body to rest and recover after these first few days, and traveling upwards of 20 hours will be tough on your body. You will be taking post-op antibiotics and potentially painkillers and it will be difficult to sleep and rest.

Thanks for this perspective. My ideal scenario would be to stay at least a week but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to ultimately exercise that level of flexibility with work and using too many vacation days. 

9 hours ago, Hayden87 said:

Thanks so much for sharing this amount of detail! It’s very helpful 

9 hours ago, Mggm said:

It's painless for 95% of the procedure. The only painful part is the local anaesthesia/PRP injections at the very beginning. They hurt a lot especially at points of your scalp where there is low fat like your temples. After this, you won't feel a thing for the rest of the procedure. 

This is reassuring. Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...

@Melvin- Moderatori wanted to follow up on more thing here. What is your assessment of Eugenix’s packages? I’m currently signed up for the premium package since there is a level of involvement from Dr Bansal that gives me reassurance. However I’ve read positive reviews on here of Eugenix’s techs and other staff which has me contemplating potentially moving down to the exclusive package if it means saving money while preserving quality. 

• Valued Contributor

Some people like to head home as soon as surgery is over. Eugenix however will treat you like a Maharajah from the driver to the head surgeon so my advice is to definitely take advantage of this and to stay 'at least' a few days post surgery (after all it's a long flight to get there and back). The pain for me was almost nil. It was more discomfort than anything though I do have a very high pain threshold. At any point point you can ask for more anesthesia. You can buy a SIM card at the airport (which I did and always do when I travel overseas). They have power point adapters but I brought my own (which I already had from previous trips to India). I brought a WISE currency card and just loaded it up and it pays in INR. If you know the cost (roughly) then paying in cash may be easier. If my procedure wasn't so time intensive I would have loved to have wandered around New Delhi. And most of all be prepared to put on a few kilo's! All the best and enjoy your time at Eugenix.

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

Some people like to head home as soon as surgery is over. Eugenix however will treat you like a Maharajah from the driver to the head surgeon so my advice is to definitely take advantage of this and to stay 'at least' a few days post surgery (after all it's a long flight to get there and back). The pain for me was almost nil. It was more discomfort than anything though I do have a very high pain threshold. At any point point you can ask for more anesthesia. You can buy a SIM card at the airport (which I did and always do when I travel overseas). They have power point adapters but I brought my own (which I already had from previous trips to India). I brought a WISE currency card and just loaded it up and it pays in INR. If you know the cost (roughly) then paying in cash may be easier. If my procedure wasn't so time intensive I would have loved to have wandered around New Delhi. And most of all be prepared to put on a few kilo's! All the best and enjoy your time at Eugenix.

Thank you @Gatsby! I appreciate your advice and perspectives. Also congrats to you on your HT. I read your post and watched some of the videos Eugenix posted. So happy for you and can’t wait to see the end result

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Midwestkid0324 said:

@Melvin- Moderatori wanted to follow up on more thing here. What is your assessment of Eugenix’s packages? I’m currently signed up for the premium package since there is a level of involvement from Dr Bansal that gives me reassurance. However I’ve read positive reviews on here of Eugenix’s techs and other staff which has me contemplating potentially moving down to the exclusive package if it means saving money while preserving quality. 

Stick to the premium since it will involve Dr. Arika doing the design and slits. The slits are the most important part of the procedure next to extraction since it decides the density and how your hair will grow out. Even though the other doctors maybe just as good, I would always go for the best service possible if it's within my budget so that I would have no regrets later.

If you still want the Exclusive option, try to get Dr.Shishir since he is one of the most experienced and knowledgeable doctors at Eugenix.

4 minutes ago, Gramatik said:

Does anyone know the list of doctors in Eugenix Exclusive package? And which of them do you reccomend? 

I had the same question last year, and had a bit of a discussion here:

I'm booked in with Dr. Priyadasharni Das and am currently counting down the months!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hayden87 said:

I had the same question last year, and had a bit of a discussion here:

I'm booked in with Dr. Priyadasharni Das and am currently counting down the months!

Thank you @Hayden87. Were you randomly assigned Dr Priyadasharni after booking or did you have an opportunity to pick which doctor you wanted to do the procedure with? I’m thinking about doing the exclusive package instead of the premium and have read good things about Dr Pryadasharni

1 minute ago, Midwestkid0324 said:

Thank you @Hayden87. Were you randomly assigned Dr Priyadasharni after booking or did you have an opportunity to pick which doctor you wanted to do the procedure with? I’m thinking about doing the exclusive package instead of the premium and have read good things about Dr Pryadasharni

I mentioned her in my initial emails to Eugenix and after paying my deposit, saw I was booked with her in my confirmation email. 

I'm not sure if I would have been offered a selection of doctors or been automatically assigned one based on availability had I not initially mentioned Dr. Priyadasharni myself. 

I do wish Eugenix would add a few doctor profiles to their website or post a few results here, attributed to their other doctors.

12 minutes ago, Hayden87 said:

I mentioned her in my initial emails to Eugenix and after paying my deposit, saw I was booked with her in my confirmation email. 

I'm not sure if I would have been offered a selection of doctors or been automatically assigned one based on availability had I not initially mentioned Dr. Priyadasharni myself. 

I do wish Eugenix would add a few doctor profiles to their website or post a few results here, attributed to their other doctors.

@Hayden87yes that would be nice if they did that. Are you doing it in Mumbai or Delhi? I’m doing it in Delhi so I wonder if Dr Priyadasharni is even an option for me 

On 1/23/2022 at 11:45 AM, Midwestkid0324 said:

Hello all,

I’m scheduled to have a hair transplant with Eugenix at the end of March. I’ll be flying to India from Chicago and ,as a first time HT recipient, I wanted to hear from others (preferably those who have gone to Eugenix) on what to expect. Eugenix has estimated I need about 1800-2000 grafts for my frontal zone. Here are some general questions I have:

1) For those flying from the US what was the experience like traveling during covid? If I’m vaccinated do I still need to show a negative covid test upon departure and arrival in Delhi? 

2) My parents are from India and I’ve been there numerous times throughout my life. However, this will be the first time I’m going by myself as an adult. Since I can speak and understand Hindi and Punjabi I’m not worried about the cultural aspect. I am curious about things like how to use my phone, do I need to bring us electricity converters, do I primarily use my debit/credit card or is it better to use cash? My dad tells me he usually buys a sim card in India and puts it in his iPhone. I’ve never done this so I have no idea how to go about it. 

3) How painful is the procedure and what can I expect for the after care? Is the first night the most difficult as it pertains to sleep?

4) Eugenix recommends I stay for at least 4 days and on the 7th day I need to get my hair washed/cleaned. This can be done either by them or on my own. What are the pros and cons of both? I’m a little nervous about traveling so far and coming back home only to have issues related to after care/healing. 

5) What did you do in your down time in between getting the procedure and the flight back home? Was it mainly just resting at the hotel or going out and about? 

I appreciate the insight to any of these questions. I know it’s a lot but I feel a mixture of excitement, anxiousness and nervousness as I go into this and just want to arm myself with the most amount of info possible. I’ve read @Melvin- Moderatorwrite up on his eugenix experience and watched his videos on YouTube. Very impressed and would love if you could chime in 🙏🏾

1) For those flying from the US what was the experience like traveling during covid? If I’m vaccinated do I still need to show a negative covid test upon departure and arrival in Delhi? 

- You shall be required to show a negative COVID test result when you arrive at the airport. Please carry it along with you. 

2) My parents are from India and I’ve been there numerous times throughout my life. However, this will be the first time I’m going by myself as an adult. Since I can speak and understand Hindi and Punjabi I’m not worried about the cultural aspect. I am curious about things like how to use my phone, do I need to bring us electricity converters, do I primarily use my debit/credit card or is it better to use cash? My dad tells me he usually buys a sim card in India and puts it in his iPhone. I’ve never done this so I have no idea how to go about it. 

- You can use your card. Please notify your bank in advance that you shall be using your card internationally and hence they shall permit the same. You can use cash if you're comfortable. You can bring along your normal chargers. You can get convertible charger plugs here. You can buy a sim card at the airport or in the clinic itself. If you can speak to your phone service provider then they can make it possible for your sim to have international roaming and hence you can use your normal sim. If not then we can also help you get a sim card once you're in the clinic.

3) How painful is the procedure and what can I expect for the after care? Is the first night the most difficult as it pertains to sleep?

- The procedure itself is not painful. The first pricks of anesthesia can sting but then it is completely painless afterwards. The sleeping positions shall be completely explained in details and you will not have a problem sleeping. We will teach you how to sleep saving your transplanted areas.

4) Eugenix recommends I stay for at least 4 days and on the 7th day I need to get my hair washed/cleaned. This can be done either by them or on my own. What are the pros and cons of both? I’m a little nervous about traveling so far and coming back home only to have issues related to after care/healing. 

- If you decide to stay for the headwas then we can perform the cleaning and other necessary things for you. Apart from that there's nothing much to be done.

If you decide to go then we can teach you how to clean the areas. You can do it at home by yourself. You can also perform the first headwash by yourself. It is easy and we shall fully instruct you regarding the same.

5) What did you do in your down time in between getting the procedure and the flight back home? Was it mainly just resting at the hotel or going out and about? 

- You can choose to rest in your hotel or go out and about. It is completely dependent on your discretion. However, we shall be providing you a cap so that your scalp will be safe from dust and pollution when you are outside.

If you have any more queries the  please do state them and we can try to answer as much as we can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

8 hours ago, Midwestkid0324 said:

@Hayden87yes that would be nice if they did that. Are you doing it in Mumbai or Delhi? I’m doing it in Delhi so I wonder if Dr Priyadasharni is even an option for me 

I'm booked in at the Gurgaon (Delhi) clinic with her in late June, perhaps she spends time at both clinics? @Gabreille Nelson MukhiaCould you please answer that?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hayden87 said:

I'm booked in at the Gurgaon (Delhi) clinic with her in late June, perhaps she spends time at both clinics? @Gabreille Nelson MukhiaCould you please answer that?

Hello. Thank you for your question. Dr Priyadarshini maam shall be in Gurgaon at your time of surgery. Have a nice day ahead.

• Thanks 1

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ