Help: best African American Hairline lower surgeons recommendations

Hey y’all I need your guy’s input on the best African American hairline surgeons in the US only. I do not want to go out of country because money is not a issue, I just want the best possible results. I been thinking about getting hairline surgery for couple years now and have done a little research here and there. I got a consultation with Dr Diep this upcoming new year who I thought is a magician fixing AA hairlines after watching a couple YouTube videos. Even so I still want others people input on whose the best at fixing specifically AA hairlines in the US only.

Below y’all can see pictures of my hair when it’s a little grown out and when it’s cut low. You can see the thinning and receding more clearly when it’s cut low. I specifically want my temples to be on point and brought in so my big forehead isn’t showing. Most of my family at-least on the men side is bald with big foreheads and just awful hairlines. I pretty much been lucky my hairline hasn’t receded to much after college like my siblings but us African Americans are picky specifically when it comes to hairlines being on point and straight. Would also like to know what Norwood am I and how many grafts do you guys think I would need? 

I would appreciate any comments below. 

D43AEC78-F1DF-4D8F-87CB-5E75B770570D.png

58D8E051-A920-4823-A525-883AF2DA2795.png

F44E8895-4B58-4AA5-B4F3-2B43CA96B8C6.png

8EE8807E-AD0E-4F01-AB5C-19696A5CFF70.png

47C500E4-1A10-4AEC-B986-EED4FBEC9865.jpeg

9361D394-45BE-4DC1-A781-010845FB4EDB.jpeg

09A7F11A-0440-4DCD-A56A-689D1A338DA6.jpeg

48C97F42-6238-4D12-812D-A0E1105911D7.jpeg

BE6F2DF2-E25E-47F1-B504-F58A189622B3.jpeg

8DDAB065-E2E1-4593-AB89-CEC26F74A7C7.jpeg

1854D726-8DA3-48D3-B127-3DD04A4386BB.jpeg

Edited by hakeemevans

• hakeemevans changed the title to Help: best African American HT lower recommendations

IMO you have very minimal hairloss. I can understand however, the effect this has on you, since as you say African-Americans (and also Hispanics) are known for having that very straight horizontal hairline. 

I do think at this stage the risks of a bad hair transplant outweigh any minor benefit. You are kind of in an awkward stage where you have hairloss, but its not bad enough yet that a HT would be beneficial.

You barely have any significant hairloss, and the only people who will notice in real life are hair obsessives like ourselves. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

IMO you have very minimal hairloss. I can understand however, the effect this has on you, since as you say African-Americans (and also Hispanics) are known for having that very straight horizontal hairline. 

I do think at this stage the risks of a bad hair transplant outweigh any minor benefit. You are kind of in an awkward stage where you have hairloss, but its not bad enough yet that a HT would be beneficial.

You barely have any significant hairloss, and the only people who will notice in real life are hair obsessives like ourselves. 

Yeah I completely understand but like you said us African Americans want straight hairlines. What I really want is a lower hairline that’s straight. Money is not a issue for me and would like to lower it before it gets any worse. I don’t even feel comfortable cutting my hair short because I don’t like the look.

Edited by hakeemevans
  • Like 1

• hakeemevans changed the title to Help: best African American Hairline lower surgeons recommendations
  • Valued Contributor

With the greatest of respect to you, looking at the photos that you've provided I don't believe you need a hair transplant. Their are structural racial differences when it comes to hairlines. However I would be looking at using finasteride, minoxidil, etc for at least a year before ruling them out. Surgery is always a last resort. You could do more damage than good at this stage. I know this is not what you want to hear sorry. Wishing you all the best.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

With the greatest of respect to you, looking at the photos that you've provided I don't believe you need a hair transplant. Their are structural racial differences when it comes to hairlines. However I would be looking at using finasteride, minoxidil, etc for at least a year before ruling them out. Surgery is always a last resort. You could do more damage than good at this stage. I know this is not what you want to hear sorry. Wishing you all the best.

I appreciate your concern and thank you for telling me your opinion. As I said hair loss is not my problem. It’s more so restructuring and fixing my hairline like it was in my early 20s. African Americans men specifically can understand where I’m coming from. Especially a guy like me who likes to cut his hair short.

• Administrators

Are you on hair loss medication? You have diffuse hair loss, especially here

image.jpeg

you need to be smart and not lower and straighten your hairline, when everything behind it is thinning.  

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

How old are you?  If you’re in your early 20s, don’t even think about it, as you may lose a lot more hair.

If you’re in your 30s, and hair has been stable last few years, that is a different story.  

Also, are you on fin/minox?  These are all important questions that give us info into your case.

Check out my journey here:

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Are you on hair loss medication? You have diffuse hair loss, especially here

image.jpeg

you need to be smart and not lower and straighten your hairline, when everything behind it is thinning.  

Never took medication for anything hair related in my life. I just want my temple to close in a bit so my forehead isn’t as big and my hairline to be more dense. Maybe I just need a temple transplant?

Edited by hakeemevans

1 hour ago, Fue3361 said:

How old are you?  If you’re in your early 20s, don’t even think about it, as you may lose a lot more hair.

If you’re in your 30s, and hair has been stable last few years, that is a different story.  

Also, are you on fin/minox?  These are all important questions that give us info into your case.

Late 20s. Trust me I won’t be waiting until I’m in my 30s to get surgery. Also never took any medication in my life hair related. I already had a doctor that told me I’m at a good age to get my hairline lowered. 

Edited by hakeemevans

22 minutes ago, hakeemevans said:

Late 20s. Trust me I won’t be waiting until I’m in my 30s to get surgery. Also never took any medication in my life hair related. I already had a doctor that told me I’m at a good age to get my hairline lowered. 

You literally thinning everywhere man, you need to get on medication ASAP! You can absolutely not lower your hairline when the rest in going away. The best you can do right now is stabilize and maintain what you have or your hairline will be the least of your problem in few years. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JP28 said:

You literally thinning everywhere man, you need to get on medication ASAP! You can absolutely not lower your hairline when the rest in going away. The best you can do right now is stabilize and maintain what you have or your hairline will be the least of your problem in few years. 

This is not true. I’m not thinning everywhere. The lightning on one of pictures were pretty bad and wasn’t brushed. My crown isn’t thinning. 

AA here.  I had surgery (in India) to lower my hairline @ 29 but I had a way bigger forehead than you do.  I knew that I was taking a risk by doing it before 35 but I was desperate, so I feel your pain.  Just be aware that the density of transplanted hair is typically 50% (or less) than that of your native hair so it will look thin without concealer.  I grow my hair long and blend but if you're going to keep it short then be prepared to commit to a daily makeup routine or SMP.  Also don't plan to fade the back less than a #2/3 or the scar will show, whether FUE or FUT.

Have you consulted your barber?  You might be surprised what they can do with styling.  Bigen is also effective for edge-ups.  All the best.

2 hours ago, hakeemevans said:

This is not true. I’m not thinning everywhere. The lightning on one of pictures were pretty bad and wasn’t brushed. My crown isn’t thinning. 

It looks like you are thinning in a Norwood 5A pattern though from that photo above. If you lower your hairline, becomes Norwood 5A, you will not have enough donor to fill it and be in a terrible spot. Your hairline at the moment looks almost perfect.

Who was the Dr who told you this? A Dermatologist? If you havent seen a Dermatologist before, I would recommend going to one.

Edited by digi23

3 hours ago, hakeemevans said:

Well it's obvious you will go ahead and do the surgery, even though everyone here has said that it's a bad idea.  At that point, that's your call man.  In light of that, I'll say what I think is best for you to consider:

1.  Be as conservative as you can be with the hairline lowering and the temporal points, while still being happy with result.  You will need more transplants down the line if you go down this route.  

2.  Get on medication.  You're diffuse thinning.  If you get on medication, you could delay that next needed transplant by a decade or not.  And who knows, 10-20 years from now, medicine might be different.  Last thing you want is to get a hair transplant, and need a second one in 3-4 years.  Don't be that guy.

3.  You've already said that money is not an issue, which is great.  That means you can take your time to really figure out who the best doctor is for you.  My recommendation is not to get too stuck on "who is doing great work on AA hair" but who is doing great work in general.  A great surgeon will not mess up your transplant just because you're AA.  

After all that, understand why people are telling you not to do it.  It's not because lowering your forehead is a bad idea.  Look at my thread, I had my forehead lowered and my temporal points changed dramatically, and I wasn't even balding.  People all told me "don't do it, you don't need a hair transplant" but I never liked my forehead size, and I couldn't be happier.  I'd be the first to tell you "go for it bro, disregard everyone here".  But the reason people are telling you not to do it is because you're showing some serious signs of balding, and are in your 20s (balding can accelerate pretty dramatically in your late 20s or early 30s).  This could mean that you'll lose all your hair and have a silly hairline island sitting on your head in a very short period of time thoeretically.

Because of that, and it's not just me telling you this, but almost any reputable surgeon will say the exact same, you should really get on Finesteride and Minoxidil, and stay on them at least 6 months (ideally a year) before you even consider getting under the knife.  So do yourself at least that 1 favor, get on the medication, because if you plan on getting a HT and not being on medication, you'll regret it, no matter how good the transplant ends up.

Look at this guy who got a transplant and didn't go on medication:  

Please don't let that be you.

Check out my journey here:

3 hours ago, Fue3361 said:

Well it's obvious you will go ahead and do the surgery, even though everyone here has said that it's a bad idea.  At that point, that's your call man.  In light of that, I'll say what I think is best for you to consider:

1.  Be as conservative as you can be with the hairline lowering and the temporal points, while still being happy with result.  You will need more transplants down the line if you go down this route.  

2.  Get on medication.  You're diffuse thinning.  If you get on medication, you could delay that next needed transplant by a decade or not.  And who knows, 10-20 years from now, medicine might be different.  Last thing you want is to get a hair transplant, and need a second one in 3-4 years.  Don't be that guy.

3.  You've already said that money is not an issue, which is great.  That means you can take your time to really figure out who the best doctor is for you.  My recommendation is not to get too stuck on "who is doing great work on AA hair" but who is doing great work in general.  A great surgeon will not mess up your transplant just because you're AA.  

After all that, understand why people are telling you not to do it.  It's not because lowering your forehead is a bad idea.  Look at my thread, I had my forehead lowered and my temporal points changed dramatically, and I wasn't even balding.  People all told me "don't do it, you don't need a hair transplant" but I never liked my forehead size, and I couldn't be happier.  I'd be the first to tell you "go for it bro, disregard everyone here".  But the reason people are telling you not to do it is because you're showing some serious signs of balding, and are in your 20s (balding can accelerate pretty dramatically in your late 20s or early 30s).  This could mean that you'll lose all your hair and have a silly hairline island sitting on your head in a very short period of time thoeretically.

Because of that, and it's not just me telling you this, but almost any reputable surgeon will say the exact same, you should really get on Finesteride and Minoxidil, and stay on them at least 6 months (ideally a year) before you even consider getting under the knife.  So do yourself at least that 1 favor, get on the medication, because if you plan on getting a HT and not being on medication, you'll regret it, no matter how good the transplant ends up.

Look at this guy who got a transplant and didn't go on medication:  

Please don't let that be you.

I don’t mind trying medication for a year. That’s why I asked for your guys opinion on what I should do. As I said I’m not waiting until I’m in my 30s but I still have a couple years left before I reach that point. If multiple doctors don’t recommended me doing anything but taking medication then I will listen to them. That’s the whole reason why I’m setting up multiple consultations. I also believe you guys are overreacting with the diffuse thinning part. Here’s a couple more pictures recently with my hair cut short. The guy you showed in the video hair was by far in a much worse place then I am (not to put him down or anything). I might even try scalp micro pigmentation before I even think about anything else.50F9754D-C10B-4FBD-B37B-24C021F1BD17.thumb.jpeg.57d211d0fc4112c278bcceb3d516e388.jpeg

A669B9A8-C541-483A-AC01-91A62135B577.jpeg

D59F8927-372D-4E6E-AAB5-67107DB1432C.png

582FE027-CEF2-4739-8594-4C5001FA62A9.jpeg

FFFAA7EB-A76A-4D57-AC00-936853673953.jpeg

Edited by hakeemevans

45 minutes ago, hakeemevans said:

I don’t mind trying medication for a year. That’s why I asked for your guys opinion on what I should do. As I said I’m not waiting until I’m in my 30s but I still have a couple years left before I reach that point. If multiple doctors don’t recommended me doing anything but taking medication then I will listen to them. That’s the whole reason why I’m setting up multiple consultations. I also believe you guys are overreacting with the diffuse thinning part. Here’s a couple more pictures recently with my hair cut short. The guy you showed in the video hair was by far in a much worse place then I am (not to put him down or anything). I might even try scalp micro pigmentation before I even think about anything else.50F9754D-C10B-4FBD-B37B-24C021F1BD17.thumb.jpeg.57d211d0fc4112c278bcceb3d516e388.jpeg

A669B9A8-C541-483A-AC01-91A62135B577.jpeg

D59F8927-372D-4E6E-AAB5-67107DB1432C.png

582FE027-CEF2-4739-8594-4C5001FA62A9.jpeg

FFFAA7EB-A76A-4D57-AC00-936853673953.jpeg

That is nicee. Use Finasteride and meaby oral minoxidil in 1 year and then reassess?

You can also use this thread as update on your progress with those medication :)

5 hours ago, hakeemevans said:

I might even try scalp micro pigmentation before I even think about anything else.

Based on discussions in the SMP section of the forum with SMP artists, its generally considered better to go one way or the other when it comes to hair transplants or SMP, not to eventually end up doing both. Primarily because of the scarring from hair transplants, no way around getting the scars, and you won't know how well you heal, how good they'll look until its too late to go back.

@hairthere and @EnhancedScalp are two top SMP artists that post on this forum over in the SMP section. I'd definitely consult with them before pulling the trigger on any hair transplant.

There first topic link below is for a guy that is struggling with getting his hair transplant scar fixed after trying hair transplants, worth checking out. The rest are some topics that come up from the forum search function from guys asking the same question so you can get some top doctor names. Best of luck!

Edited by ciaus
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Based on discussions in the SMP section of the forum with SMP artists, its generally considered better to go one way or the other when it comes to hair transplants or SMP, not to eventually end up doing both. Primarily because of the scarring from hair transplants, no way around getting the scars, and you won't know how well you heal, how good they'll look until its too late to go back.

@hairthere and @EnhancedScalp are two top SMP artists that post on this forum over in the SMP section. I'd definitely consult with them before pulling the trigger on any hair transplant.

There first topic link below is for a guy that is struggling with getting his hair transplant scar fixed after trying hair transplants, worth checking out. The rest are some topics that come up from the forum search function from guys asking the same question so you can get some top doctor names. Best of luck!

I thank you for directing me to these experts. Will definitely contact them to hear their opinion. Thank you again.

Update for the fellas who are still following! I just had another consultation with a doctor and he doesn’t think my receding hairline is that bad. He did recommend me to start taking Biotin to strengthen my thinning hair and also start taking minoxidil on the daily bases as-well using DHT blocking shampoo. He told me there’s no point to get surgery because my hair isn’t in a bad spot as of now and I wouldn’t see huge improvements. It just needs the thinning hair to be more strengthen with more care. Will keep this thread updated as I keep talking to multiple doctors.

Edited by hakeemevans
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, hakeemevans said:

He did recommend me to start taking Biotin to strengthen my thinning hair and also start taking minoxidil on the daily bases as-well using DHT blocking shampoo.

Keep a sharp eye on that thinning, even better would be to take pictures a few times a year at the same hair length and camera angle/distance, and lighting. Particularly of the top and crown areas.

Once hair loss starts it usually progresses for at least a few decades, the rate varies depending on your unique genetics, before your final loss pattern fully reveals itself. Its not very common to regain hair that's no longer visible due to DHT. Most guys will do no more than maintain what they currently have when they start on a DHT blocker like Finasteride.

Regarding your current regimen, DHT-blocking shampoos are just topically applied to your scalp skin for a few minutes, which means they do relatively little against the total DHT that's flowing around your body in your blood. A biotin supplement may help on the margins as well, especially if you tend to eat alot of junk/fast food.

The minoxidil will be the primary cause for any improvement you see from here. And just be aware that all the minoxidil is doing is thickening the hairs and increasing their growth cycle lengths so that more of them are growing at the same time. It's not actually giving you any extra time when it comes to fighting the DHT. Eventually the minoxidil will not be enough to produce visible hair as the DHT continues to attack the hairs on your head that are vulnerable to it.

Edited by ciaus

• Valued Contributor
5 hours ago, hakeemevans said:

Update for the fellas who are still following! I just had another consultation with a doctor and he doesn’t think my receding hairline is that bad. He did recommend me to start taking Biotin to strengthen my thinning hair and also start taking minoxidil on the daily bases as-well using DHT blocking shampoo. He told me there’s no point to get surgery because my hair isn’t in a bad spot as of now and I wouldn’t see huge improvements. It just needs the thinning hair to be more strengthen with more care. Will keep this thread updated as I keep talking to multiple doctors.

He never mentioned finasteride?

I personally think your hairline is pretty good.  SMP could work for you but expectations would have to be managed going into it, and the process and future results explained to you by a competent honest artist.

If I were to do a density filling on you, I would go much lighter then you would want because I can tell in time your hair will  most likely continue to thin out, and when it does I know I would be able to match/blend to make it look good after shaving your head down to a 0-0.5.  The thing with SMP density fills are, people don't understand it including ALOT of smp providers (or they just want quick money).  If you go too dark to match your hair as it is, overtime when it thins its going to be a mess if done incorrectly and you WILL need laser.

If you came into my clinic, i'd recommend you to choose hair fibers (if you haven't already) or potentially opt for a FUE transplant for the thinning areas pending your donor area status.

Edited by EnhancedScalp