Should I ask for beard grafts to save donor

Mic_b

Hi I’m just after some advice. I had a 3300 graft FUE to the frontal third with Dr Lorenzo 3 weeks a go. This was part of a two step strategy which I will go back in April for another 3000-3200 grafts to fix my crown. 

After this I will have used up most of my donor capacity which is around 8000 so 1500 or so left. 

I’m on fin and hopefully I won’t loose much or any more native hair but I’m thinking would it be better to play it safe and use some beard grafts to the crown to save donor for the front should I loose more native hair in the future. 

Has anyone gone for a similar approach? Or could give me their thoughts on my idea. 

Many thanks 

• Administrators

What does your donor look like?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

8 hours ago, Mic_b said:

It looks good you can’t tell it’s been touched. I think the extraction pattern was very good. 

Do you think it’s better to exhaust the donor before going for beard / body?

I think it’s good to always keep at least 2000 scalp grafts in reserve , if you are younger than 50. 

I would go with Lorenzo’s judgement though as he is excellent - you can ask him his thoughts, however I imagine he will be comfortable because you still have 1500, potentially more, remaining from your scalp. 

Have you made a thread ? Post up some pics, it will be good to see. 

• Valued Contributor

I personally don’t believe in exhausting your scalp donor supply before tapping into beard hair. You will still need scalp grafts to mix with beard grafts. If you opt for beard grafts make sure that you research how good they are in utilizing them (Eugenix, etc). All the best. 

• Like 1

Thank 

12 hours ago, Curious25 said:

I think it’s good to always keep at least 2000 scalp grafts in reserve , if you are younger than 50. 

I would go with Lorenzo’s judgement though as he is excellent - you can ask him his thoughts, however I imagine he will be comfortable because you still have 1500, potentially more, remaining from your scalp. 

Have you made a thread ? Post up some pics, it will be good to see. 

Yes I will talk to Dr Lorenzo and see what he thinks. I just want to play the long game and make sure I don’t run out of donor if things look worse years down the line. 

9 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I personally don’t believe in exhausting your scalp donor supply before tapping into beard hair. You will still need scalp grafts to mix with beard grafts. If you opt for beard grafts make sure that you research how good they are in utilizing them (Eugenix, etc). All the best. 

Yes this is my thinking. Mix in some beard grafts when I get the crown done to save donor capacity for my front and mid section as I have native hair there and also a small amount in my hairline 

• Administrators

I wouldn’t incorporate beard hair until it’s necessary. Scalp hair is the best hair. I’m using BHT out of necessity. But if I had enough scalp hair, I’d stick with scalp hair.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I agree with the above, I think you should use beard as a last resort if it's ever needed. Besides, Lorenzo is one of the most competent surgeons in the world, I would trust his judgement and go with whatever he feels is best.

• Moderators
On 12/2/2021 at 1:27 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

I wouldn’t incorporate beard hair until it’s necessary. Scalp hair is the best hair. I’m using BHT out of necessity. But if I had enough scalp hair, I’d stick with scalp hair.

No. I disagree. If you are a NW 6 or heading there then I think you should start using BHT from the beginning. Your last two sentences is the reason you don't want to wait. You don't want to use it as a last resort and then not be able to place different hair types (scalp hair vs body hair) in the ideal places. I'm speaking from experience as I have to use beard and chest hair in the frontal hairline area because I don't have any other hair to work with. While I think it will turn out OK for me as my body hair isn't that bad, it's not the ideal area to use it in.

• Like 3

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

This is all hypothetical as my beard is pretty shit tier and all my hair recession is at the hairline but I'd probably prefer body hair when appropriate given infinite financial resources just because I'd rather maximize density in the donor and don't really care all that much for having a beard. Even if body hair isn't great, I'd prefer to retain as much native density as possible. But that's just me and I also don't have infinite financial resources.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...