FUT scars

For those of you who have had FUT procedures, how short can you typically wear your hair? I know it may vary depending on the individual but I’m trying to get an average length. Looking into making a decision soon and have been back and forth between the FUT vs FUE debate. I wear my hair short however after a lot of research I think an FUT procedure might be the way to go. 

• Administrators

Let me tag @1978matt he had an FUT and seems to wear his hair relatively short.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I think hair type plays a part.  My hair sticks out straight and i can get away with grade 4 with no visibility, but to the trained eye, someone could pick it out at grade 3 or 2.

If your donor is dense and lays flat you could potentially have no issues at 2 or 3, but as a working assumption I'd plan for grade 4.  Anything better is a bonus.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks for the input. This is my only hesitation with FUT because I like to wear my hair short. However FUT seems to be less variable then FUE with almost guaranteed quality grafts and I like the idea of having the extra donor available for more lifetime grafts.

I haven't cut my hair below a 6 guard, but I can't see the scar. My scar is not that good though. If the lighting is bright and if I bring my head to my chest, then someone may be able to see the outline of my scar, but I don't mind too much. If you seem like you'll need multiple surgeries then FUT is probably the better choice. You can always try to lighten the scar afterwards by implanting hairs there or other methods like micro-pigmentation if it bothers you. 

• Valued Contributor

@SS2382 what is your current Norwood loss and how would you describe your hair characteristics? In many ways your hair loss and characteristics may dictate whether FUT or FUE (in the hands of an elite surgeon) is the best option. All the best!

FUT scores can be essentially pencil thin depending on many factors. However, scalp elasticity, the number of hair transplant procedures, doctor skill, hair to skin color ratio, hair density, length of hair worn on the sides and back of the scalp  and other variables can impact the overall visibility of the scar.   That said, FUE illuminates the linear scar and is as successful as FUT / Strip in the hands of a skilled surgeon.  I should just researching all your options and learn as much as possible about each procedure before undergoing hair transplant surgery.

Best,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

11 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

FUT scores can be essentially pencil thin depending on many factors. However, scalp elasticity, the number of hair transplant procedures, doctor skill, hair to skin color ratio, hair density, length of hair worn on the sides and back of the scalp  and other variables can impact the overall visibility of the scar.   That said, FUE illuminates the linear scar and is as successful as FUT / Strip in the hands of a skilled surgeon.  I should just researching all your options and learn as much as possible about each procedure before undergoing hair transplant surgery.

Best,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Wound physiology has much to do with how a patient heals.  Second, follow the doctor's instructions.  For example, avoid weightlifting exercises that involve the neck for 6-12 months - this can lead to stretching of the scar. Sleeping position right after a procedure is also important. 

It is a fact that FUT does leave a linear scar.  FUE, however, will also leave scars.  The size of the instrument used will have a direct impact on visibility.  Anything less than a .9mm will not be discernable to the eye.  Anything larger will leave small circles through the area harvested.  As others have stated, do your research.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

How about FUE scars? Are people typically able to wear skin fades without noticing the scars? I’m so back and forth between the two, but I think I’m leaning more towards FUE now. I do wear my hair pretty short on the sides and also am into heavy weight lifting. I think the recovery of the strip might be an issue for me as well as having to change my hair style. Might just have to accept not getting as many lifetime grafts or maybe go FUT down the road if need be. 

As far as my hair loss I’m not sure what class I would be considered. It is definitely diffuse but you can only see that pattern when it’s really short on top. A diffuse 3 then maybe. The way I style it gives off a good illusion of density and it’s only noticeable in the crown area as well as the hairline and temples which has kicked back a bit but not too bad. Overall still have a good amount of native hair that’s been stable on fin for 1.5 - 2 years with no sides, however everyone in my family with loss seems to progress to a Norwood 6 or 7. 

59 minutes ago, SS2382 said:

How about FUE scars? Are people typically able to wear skin fades without noticing the scars? I’m so back and forth between the two, but I think I’m leaning more towards FUE now. I do wear my hair pretty short on the sides and also am into heavy weight lifting. I think the recovery of the strip might be an issue for me as well as having to change my hair style. Might just have to accept not getting as many lifetime grafts or maybe go FUT down the road if need be. 

As far as my hair loss I’m not sure what class I would be considered. It is definitely diffuse but you can only see that pattern when it’s really short on top. A diffuse 3 then maybe. The way I style it gives off a good illusion of density and it’s only noticeable in the crown area as well as the hairline and temples which has kicked back a bit but not too bad. Overall still have a good amount of native hair that’s been stable on fin for 1.5 - 2 years with no sides, however everyone in my family with loss seems to progress to a Norwood 6 or 7. 

As long as the instrument used is less than .9mm, the scars will not be visible.  Make sure you continue a medical regiment to help you retain the native hair.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

I think when your able to keep your hair tight and short on the sides it makes the top look fuller. This is one of the advantages of FUE that no one really mentions. But you got to be into that hair style in the first place. 

Edited by Domino