Worried

My husband got a hair transplant last week from a local clinic. His recovery has been very difficult and the doctor says he may have necrosis. I am attaching a photo, this is day 8. There is heavy scabbing. All the picture I look at online, no one has this much scabbing, he doctor keeps saying it’s normal but, now hes saying the top layer of the dark spots is likely dead but, the follicule looks still in tact. He is so worried. Has anyone seen this much scabbing? And or these dark spots that did not turn out to be necrosis? Any recommendations?

4C5DAFF0-2B6F-4EB5-8196-41AFAAE215E5.jpeg

Hi yes there was some complications, he lost 2pints of blood during the procedure, and they said because of his muscle mass (he is a natural heavy weight lifter) that his muscles metabolized the freeze quickly and they had to use 2L. Additionally, he has a bleeding disorder thelasemi minor which the physician knew of. I have attached the picture the day of surgery and the day after

It does not look so normal. Maybe the bleeding post op causing this. Did he follow post instructions as per the clinic? For example, applying some sort of cream to soften the scabs for 15-20mins and then wash it off?

This seems like an extremely caviller attitude from whichever clinic did this from what you're saying!

Forget everything else, you really should have gone to the hospital right away if necrosis was suspected, I would imagine IV antibiotics would be given and maybe the dead tissue would be removed to stop it spreading or causing infection. If you haven't been to see anyone yet, which is what it sounds like from your post, go right now.

Hi there, he completed the after care as specified to him. He was not to touch the recipient area until day 8, so, he washed the area x3/day by pouring water and baby soap over the area. He was on antibiotics since the day before the surgery. He developed a fever the first day post op and had it for 5 days. It’s finally gone.

he has gone back to the doctor who preformed the procedure x3 times now and each time he says he doesn’t think it’s necrosis but, he’s not sure. 

we are going to see a dermatologist this morning.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, 123456 said:

Hi there, he completed the after care as specified to him. He was not to touch the recipient area until day 8, so, he washed the area x3/day by pouring water and baby soap over the area. He was on antibiotics since the day before the surgery. He developed a fever the first day post op and had it for 5 days. It’s finally gone.

he has gone back to the doctor who preformed the procedure x3 times now and each time he says he doesn’t think it’s necrosis but, he’s not sure. 

Keep us updated - I hope your husband is ok. Everything looks very angry immediately post op, so fingers crossed it isn't necrosis.

Which Dr/Clinic performed this work? It's important for people to know in case they are considering going there without realising. Also as mentioned, please keep the forum updated.

Edited by Berba11

• Valued Contributor
On 11/30/2021 at 1:23 PM, 123456 said:

Hi,

How did the appointment with the dermatologist go? How is your partner feeling? Is he ok?

• Administrators

Did you send these pictures to a doctor? Let me tag @DrTBarghouthi get his thoughts.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yes you do need to get it seen in person by a doctor (preferably someone with knowledge about hair and hair transplants. I can’t say it is necrosis for sure as it seems like in an area that had heavy scabbing since day one. Did they use methylene blue too?

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Hello, thank you for the replies. I do not know if they used that blue methylene. He has been applying a topical antibiotic for the last four days, it’s removed a lot of the scabs but, the darker areas remain although lighter and smaller, as they dissolve the skin underneath is exposed but, is cratered deeper compared to the surrounding skin. A swab was done that confirmed gram-negative bacteria flora were present so, I’m not sure if that meant there was/is an infection. The hair seems to be growing though where there was heavy scabbing the hairs are shorter, we are hoping that the follicle has survived? I’ve attached a photo of the progress with the antibiotics cream. It’s been 4 days

D475591F-6FCB-46A4-B08C-BB953781A814.jpeg

Edited by 123456

Yes it seems there was an element of necrosis and skin has now revascularized and is healing by secondary intention (on it’s own). The scab will begin to fall as soon as the skin under it is closing. There will be a bit of a groove in the skin initially. These are my expectations from what I have come across. No need to be concerned healthwise. Make sure the ointments stays on until the skin is back to normal. Make sure the clinic knows and possibly a nearby GP for proper assessment. 

• Like 7

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Day 13 scabbing is lifting but, dark spots are still evident and indentation from areas of scabbing is evident throughout. Will these indentations heal and return to normal skin or will they scar? How long will that recovery take? If they scar the hair will not grow correct? Dark spots continue to worry us.

BC093789-A3E5-44F8-974E-F944D8DE354E.jpeg

02F97DA2-A2AF-4EF9-912A-AFE732F5204E.jpeg

301E23FA-6C24-4690-8818-3EB3E1FE9443.jpeg

• Valued Contributor
7 minutes ago, 123456 said:

Day 13 scabbing is lifting but, dark spots are still evident and indentation from areas of scabbing is evident throughout. Will these indentations heal and return to normal skin or will they scar? How long will that recovery take? If they scar the hair will not grow correct? Dark spots continue to worry us.

Could you please tell us which clinic did this work?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 123456 said:

I suppose the answers are going to depend on what the cause actually was; did you end up getting confirmation that this was caused by necrosis? If it definitely was, then the affected areas will unfortunately not heal up back to normal and will scar over quite prominently as that tissue has died. The grafts also wouldn't grow in these areas I don't believe, no.

As others have said, you really should be naming the clinic, not only to prevent others from experiencing a similar outcome, but also because they have done this to you/your husbands head; why wouldn't you? By not doing so, you're only providing them anonymity and protection from the consequences of their actions here.

Edited by JDEE0
  • Like 2

On 11/30/2021 at 1:15 AM, 123456 said:

Additionally, he has a bleeding disorder thelasemi minor which the physician knew of.

Agree with others about naming the clinic and doctor. I googled 'thelasemi minor' and found this. I wonder how much of a risk factor this is for hair transplants. Especially in circumstances where an infection arises and you have reduced red blood cell functionality. Based on the definition it sounds like this could be a significant amplifier in terms of cell and tissue death. 

To any doctors reading this, like @DrTBarghouthi, how would someone having this condition factor into your decision on qualifying them as a good candidate for a hair transplant? And if you do take them on as a patient would you limit how many grafts you do at one time to limit the trauma? Not seeing anywhere how many this patient had done.

------

Thalassemia is an inherited (i.e., passed from parents to children through genes) blood disorder caused when the body doesn’t make enough of a protein called hemoglobin, an important part of red blood cells. When there isn’t enough hemoglobin, the body’s red blood cells don’t function properly and they last shorter periods of time, so there are fewer healthy red blood cells traveling in the bloodstream.

Red blood cells carry oxygen to all the cells of the body. Oxygen is a sort of food that cells use to function. When there are not enough healthy red blood cells, there is also not enough oxygen delivered to all the other cells of the body, which may cause a person to feel tired, weak or short of breath. 

Edited by ciaus