How bad is my hairloss ?

Rafowens

Hi all, 

I am 28 and I realized that my crown was a bit thinner about two years ago. 

I got used to the idea that I will lose slowly my hair in the years to come but I was convinced at the start that I wasn’t a serious case. 

With shorter hair, I discovered something that who freaking me : the thinning of my crown seems to go down low, in nw5 or nw6 territory. 

I don’t know if this is real and if I am doomed to have a high Norwood in next years. I have different pics (with hair combed) and other where we can see that strange bald spot very low in the crown. 

On the top of my head I think I don’t really have thinning and I think I am a NW2, not more. 

What do you think of the potential evolution of my mpb ? Really nead reassurance, I am so stressed with that. 

For information the last pic was 2 years ago. 

D1D0EBCB-85B0-42D7-8420-9E414295147B.png

4820E787-167A-4822-888E-E4A403EF8396.png

17A83A12-49F1-467B-BF5B-45C69A2F9A16.png

AF5A501D-3278-4A7E-AEFC-F361BC255B92.png

BBC72DA2-D235-4C9B-A969-73017D189D5F.png

7BDE88E2-968E-445B-BD4C-2C5FB47BDDFD.png

249A8BA6-AE3C-4BFB-A77C-61AAF713B63C.png

CB13F729-D79B-4B0A-A34B-1310D3D521D5.jpeg

B3880917-C8BD-4335-9577-C32912A48D4A.png

You have very dark hair and light scalp and lots of contrast.  Wherever you part it, you will see a partline. Seems like hair loss, but it isn't.  

We all share a whirl.  It is the point where the hair starts.  Hair grows outward from the point. That is, there is no hair coming into the area.  For this reason it is the weakest point we all share. Again, you are showing a high degree of contrast, but no apparent loss.  People will kill to have hair like yours.

Do you have family history of hair loss?

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Struggling to see much difference to be honest. Looks like a perfectly normal head of hair. The conditions your showing it in will make some scalp appear. Keep the pics and check again in another 6 months to a years time and review. If your really worried then you always have the option of seeing a dermatologist. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

You have very dark hair and light scalp and lots of contrast.  Wherever you part it, you will see a partline. Seems like hair loss, but it isn't.  

We all share a whirl.  It is the point where the hair starts.  Hair grows outward from the point. That is, there is no hair coming into the area.  For this reason it is the weakest point we all share. Again, you are showing a high degree of contrast, but no apparent loss.  People will kill to have hair like yours.

Do you have family history of hair loss?

Hi, 

Thank for your response. The color of my hair is not so dark (I am dark blond) but probably accentuated by the flash of my phone because pics were taken in a dark room. 

The only serious case in all my family (both sides) is my father who is probably NW5 at 60 years old. He starts balding at my age a bit more on the hairline but I don’t have any pic of him at my age where we can see the crown. 

Ps : I forgot to mention it but sometimes I feel like I can feel more the cold or the rain in this area. Same thing when I put the back of my head against a surface (headrest, pillow…)

I don’t know if it’s a sign or if it’s just normal to be more sensitive to contact on the crown area. Perhaps I am just focusing on it and I am over obsessive… 

Is somebody here has observed the same thing ? Or somebody with a perfect thick crown can share his impression about that feeling ? 

Many thanks. 

1 hour ago, Rafowens said:

Ps : I forgot to mention it but sometimes I feel like I can feel more the cold or the rain in this area. Same thing when I put the back of my head against a surface (headrest, pillow…)

I don’t know if it’s a sign or if it’s just normal to be more sensitive to contact on the crown area. Perhaps I am just focusing on it and I am over obsessive… 

Is somebody here has observed the same thing ? Or somebody with a perfect thick crown can share his impression about that feeling ? 

Many thanks. 

It seems you are very self conscious.  You do remind me of the many patients that come in and say, (I want hair in that particular area to prevent sun-burn). Most people do not realize a bit of hair is really not going to provide the necessary coverage to prevent this from happening. 

I recall a math teacher a few years ago.  His head was always back to the kids.  I did agree with him it was important for him to have some coverage.  For most, however, when you're dealing with an advanced pattern and donor limitation, it is typically best - particularly at the beginning - to address the front.  Once happy with the density there, you can them move farther back so as to minimize the size of the crown.

Now let's talk about your case.  If you want things to look even fuller, why not some SMP? This would help you minimize the contrast and give you a FULL looking set of hair.  

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

8 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

It seems you are very self conscious.  You do remind me of the many patients that come in and say, (I want hair in that particular area to prevent sun-burn). Most people do not realize a bit of hair is really not going to provide the necessary coverage to prevent this from happening. 

I recall a math teacher a few years ago.  His head was always back to the kids.  I did agree with him it was important for him to have some coverage.  For most, however, when you're dealing with an advanced pattern and donor limitation, it is typically best - particularly at the beginning - to address the front.  Once happy with the density there, you can them move farther back so as to minimize the size of the crown.

Now let's talk about your case.  If you want things to look even fuller, why not some SMP? This would help you minimize the contrast and give you a FULL looking set of hair.  

I am not against SMP but I am afraid that the bald spot is really mpb and growing (and that makes SMP useless) . What is your personal point of view about this ? Do you think it’s balding or it’s normal for a man of 28 years to have this ? Because the fact you propose me SMP make me think it’s really a hairloss (and probably mpb related) problem. :(

Thank you in advance ! 

Looks totally normal to me. Might have some minor signs of thinning but nowhere near enough to waste time on this forum. Go enjoy life and that nice head of hair.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

2 minutes ago, hairthere said:

Looks totally normal to me. Might have some minor signs of thinning but nowhere near enough to waste time on this forum. Go enjoy life and that nice head of hair.

Thank you for your reponse and your reassurance. So you think that this spot isn’t necessarly related to a high Norwood in the future? 

It's possible but very difficult to tell by just seeing pictures. A hair transplant surgeon or a trichologist could probably tell you if those hairs are miniaturizing but honestly I would not worry about this now. 

• Like 2

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

25 minutes ago, Rafowens said:

I am not against SMP but I am afraid that the bald spot is really mpb and growing (and that makes SMP useless) . What is your personal point of view about this ? Do you think it’s balding or it’s normal for a man of 28 years to have this ? Because the fact you propose me SMP make me think it’s really a hairloss (and probably mpb related) problem. :(

Thank you in advance ! 

LIke I said, I think you are dealing with contrast issues and not loss.  Given your family history, however, I would keep my eye on things.  SMP is to help you deal with the contrast - which is obviously affecting you some,  You will instantly look like you have a Full set of hair.  

Thank you for your responses and sorry if I could seem pushy, it’s a side effect of my anxious situation about this… 

I always wanted to control everything in my life and the unpredictability of hairloss i a great stressor on a daily basis to the point where I constantly analyzed my hair from all angles… 

Do you think I need a medication like finasteride ? Or it’s ok for the moment ?

Because of your hair length, texture and its wavy it's very hard to tell especially from pics.

If you really want to know if your experiencing even any minor loss in the crown would be to get a  buzz cut.

Edited by Briguy

If you really want to take control then visit a dermatologist, they are best placed to give you some valuable insight in to your current hair situation. They will give you professional advice based on their findings. We are just looking at some pics here, the opinions we give are going to vary. Nobody here can examine your hair in a professional capacity, it needs to be a dermatologist/decent Hair Transplant clinic. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Briguy said:

Because of your hair length, texture and its wavy it's very hard to tell especially from pics.

If you really want to know if your experiencing even any minor loss in the crown would be to get a  buzz cut.

I always had long hair so I am really insecure at the idea to cut them. 

Here other pics when my hair were a bit shorter after haircut (last month). 

And the last with very long hair. 

edit : i have seen the Dr Lupanzula (belgium) in february. He looks my hair rapidly and say my crown was ok and were positive about the future. But he was so fast and expiditive that it makes me doubt…

BEC29FE9-9F9F-4984-A402-590D064AF7AE.png

1CF85128-A4F0-4D4C-A8DE-DBAB25D0DA6F.png

A7DB9FD8-3346-4360-9C61-01EB3BB5B4FA.png

0DB94372-02C8-4B0B-8727-7D0A3C87E10D.png

EA992D58-88D5-4A39-8BE4-09CDB2C55CE3.png

BAA24BB2-8797-4CED-8A78-DC0C7188FFE9.png

674CEA1E-1264-41AD-879B-576A7B615309.png

Edited by Rafowens

4 hours ago, Rafowens said:

Hi all, 

I am 28 and I realized that my crown was a bit thinner about two years ago. 

I got used to the idea that I will lose slowly my hair in the years to come but I was convinced at the start that I wasn’t a serious case. 

With shorter hair, I discovered something that who freaking me : the thinning of my crown seems to go down low, in nw5 or nw6 territory. 

I don’t know if this is real and if I am doomed to have a high Norwood in next years. I have different pics (with hair combed) and other where we can see that strange bald spot very low in the crown. 

On the top of my head I think I don’t really have thinning and I think I am a NW2, not more. 

What do you think of the potential evolution of my mpb ? Really nead reassurance, I am so stressed with that. 

For information the last pic was 2 years ago. 

D1D0EBCB-85B0-42D7-8420-9E414295147B.png

4820E787-167A-4822-888E-E4A403EF8396.png

17A83A12-49F1-467B-BF5B-45C69A2F9A16.png

AF5A501D-3278-4A7E-AEFC-F361BC255B92.png

BBC72DA2-D235-4C9B-A969-73017D189D5F.png

7BDE88E2-968E-445B-BD4C-2C5FB47BDDFD.png

249A8BA6-AE3C-4BFB-A77C-61AAF713B63C.png

CB13F729-D79B-4B0A-A34B-1310D3D521D5.jpeg

B3880917-C8BD-4335-9577-C32912A48D4A.png

What I see is a cowlick aka swirl. Hairloss, no.

• Like 3

My man you have ZERO hairloss. You even had a top HT surgeon tell you so. However, if you're attempting to control every aspect of your life you might start causing your hair to fall out from the stress! 

• Like 3

Chiming in here to be the 10th person or so to tell you that there's nothing wrong with your hair. :) Could you have hair loss in the future? Sure. But that's a bridge for you to cross another day should you ever come to it. I think the best place for you to be putting your energy right now is into getting your anxiety under control and learning how to manage it. Speaking from experience as someone who's dealt with anxiety on and off my entire life, it's one of those things that once it has something to latch onto (like in this case, your fear of losing your hair), it only grows and gets stronger... And the stronger it gets, the stronger it gets.

I started going to therapy in my late 20s for this and it was a life changer. The anxious thoughts may never go away completely, but there are tools out there that you can use to help you manage your anxiety and keep it under control. Specifically, you can look at Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which has been shown to be one of the most effective types of therapy for anxiety. 

The good news is that in this day and age, there are tons of resources available to us online in regards to anxiety and how to manage it. It's way more common than people realize, and there's no longer a stigma attached to it so that getting help is easier than ever. 

I actually just bought a hoodie from this company called We're Not Really Strangers that says "Your Anxiety is Lying to You" on the back (lol), and I think that's a good reminder for you at the moment because you are not going bald right now, no matter what your anxiety would have you believe. We promise. :)

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Valued Contributor

I can understand your anxiety. At 18 I had really no hair loss and so I had a hair transplant in the hope that I could control the future! Unfortunately it was the worst thing that I could have done and I am still paying for that mistake in many ways today - decades later. You are fine and at 28 I would recommend the advice of @hairthere and go and enjoy your life.

Dude you need to stop this obsession, we have all said it’s a normal head of hair. No matter how many pics you take and how you show it. You have had a top Drs opinion, and the most experienced members opinions. As I have said the only one left now would be a dermatologist, who could examine in a professional capacity. Surely that would then give you the reassurance you looking for ? We are going by the pics we can see, go for a in person consultation so it can be thoroughly examined. The 2 best placed people to do this are a Dr (done) and a dermatologist. 

Edited by JC71

Hi all, 

Just taken a last set of pics just to be sure. 

Flash is activated on all pics. Last pic is with wet hair.

Do you still think it’s nothing to worry about and that it’s not related to mpb ?

And what do you think about the density of the back of my head ? 

Thanks. 

79F86C37-F92A-46DC-BD28-A5A44B9E3CCF.jpeg

2696452F-B74E-4A7D-9826-0B660291D5F7.jpeg

2B1C6AF6-BBDF-4BD6-BE86-9A8101BDE150.jpeg

72DB40D3-FB40-402E-A346-E877EF53A1B5.jpeg

3BF1DA53-56AB-4A15-BC62-6D0F94AE1CE8.jpeg

ABFDC7BA-4ADF-4891-8B61-AB899B6B6B8A.jpeg

6135D134-4D91-4060-97A8-0AE8E4ACEDDB.jpeg

E27D38BE-CCC1-454A-A08B-64BF40C86F71.jpeg

Edited by Rafowens

• Administrators

I'm going to lock this thread, I would strongly advise you seek help from a therapist. You seem to suffer from body dysmorphia. It's clear as day you don't have hair loss. Please do not create another thread asking the same question. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.