Is Beard Hair Viable For A Hair Transplant?

• Administrators

I've gotten quite a few pm's lately asking about BHT, perhaps its because of my decision to undergo BHT with Eugenix. But I would really love if those who have gotten BHT like @Zoomster and @BeHappy I'm sure i'm missing more members could join in on the conversation. 

Is Beard Hair Viable For A Hair Transplant

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

My head hair is blonde and my beard hair goes darker and gingery when it grows out, would this have an affect on a transplant? 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

BHT is great to add density to the crown but if your beard hair color is not the same color as your hair like @TommyLucchese or if you have very curly haired beard then you are not a candidate for BHT.

I had 1888 beard grafts transplanted to my crown and can tell you that it does help with the density because the grafts are denser but beard grafts are all single grafts so 1888 beard grafts will be equal to around 750 scalp grafts.

It takes some time for the beard grafts to flow the same way as the rest of the native hair but now that I have cut my hair several times and combed it daily for more than 18 months it`s flowing just like the rest of my hair despite being slighly more curly but that can be easily solved by applying some hair products. 

When I touch the area with the beard grafts I can`t notice anything different but Dr. Pekiner did say my beard grafts were thin just like my scalp grafts.

If I were to advise good BHT Doctors I would have to say Eugenix, HLC and Pekiner are the best options because I don`t see any other Doctors doing BHT on almost a daily basis like they are doing.

Edited by Portugal25
  • Like 2

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Portugal25 said:

BHT is great to add density to the crown but if your beard hair color is not the same color as your hair like @TommyLucchese or if you have very curly haired beard then you are not a candidate for BHT.

I had 1888 beard grafts transplanted to my crown and can tell you that it does help with the density because the grafts are denser but beard grafts are all single grafts so 1888 beard grafts will be equal to around 750 scalp grafts.

It takes some time for the beard grafts to flow the same way as the rest of the native hair but now that I have cut my hair dozens of times and combed it daily for more than 18 months it flowing just like the rest of my hair despite being slighly more curly but that can be easily solved by applying some hair products. 

When I touch the area with the beard grafts I can`t notice anything different but Dr. Pekiner did say my beard grafts were thin just like my scalp grafts.

If I were to advise BHT I would have to say Eugenix, HLC and Pekiner are the best options because I don`t see any other Doctors doing BHT on almost a daily basis like they are doing.

Glad to have you back on the forum, do you mind updating your thread or sharing some before and after photos here?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, TommyLucchese said:

My head hair is blonde and my beard hair goes darker and gingery when it grows out, would this have an affect on a transplant? 

I have sort of the opposite issue, fairly jet black hair but I have a great deal of ginger hair in my beard. I have thought about this as being a potential issue. Although, it’s not solid ginger, more blended in like salt and pepper. So I’d assume it’ll look the same on the crown. I can live with that, worst comes to worst, just for men time 😂

View my thread

• Moderators

I tried to upload a short comb through video, but it seems we can't upload videos here? I took a screenshot from it and posted that here, so sorry about the low resolution. The 2nd picture is the same except with the area marked that is all beard hair. That area is 100% beard hair as I was completely shiny bald in the lower crown.

IMG_0027.jpg.6efb2a9fbed7f8a6d64d7eb09a6ead8a.jpg

1255636050_IMG_0027Edited.jpg.f6a8cd3674a94731cade7d75d291d858.jpg

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BeHappy said:

I tried to upload a short comb through video, but it seems we can't upload videos here? I took a screenshot from it and posted that here, so sorry about the low resolution. The 2nd picture is the same except with the area marked that is all beard hair. That area is 100% beard hair as I was completely shiny bald in the lower crown.

IMG_0027.jpg.6efb2a9fbed7f8a6d64d7eb09a6ead8a.jpg

1255636050_IMG_0027Edited.jpg.f6a8cd3674a94731cade7d75d291d858.jpg

Looks really good. I would love to see an update with your entire journey, it’s probably the best journey here.

View my thread

I have seen those with different color of beard and scalp dye the hair making color contrast a non-issue. Anup Jalota is a famous Indian singer who had his HT with Eugenix. His beard was white and scalp hair was grey, but he eventually dyed all black making it a non-issue. He had 3k grafts from scalp and 4k from beard.

Here, you can see his 7 month post HT video before dying his hair.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing regarding to simply dye the hair to achieve overall consistency.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY