Thinning hair transplant after second or third year

The Turkish forum i follow has some interesting cases about people that had a great HT results then started to thinning again after a few years. I specifically checked the donor area where follicules extracted and looks like they are from the safest area, how can we explain this issue? Are Hair Transplants really permanent if you do not use finasteride after the operation? 

Donor hair can absolutely thin, even if just slightly, without Finasteride. But usually it will not be lost compeltely. You ever see guys in their 70s and 80s with thinned to hel horseshoes? Now imagine if they got a transplant. But these types of guys likely had suspect donor regions as early as their 30's so any ethical surgeon today would advise against a transplant for someone like that, without Finasteride. If you have a super strong looking donor region and are not on Fin, then that's another story, and you should be fine, though very slight thinning is still likely anyway.

• Administrators

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Wow, thanks so much Melvin, amazing content indeed. 

The patients i saw started thinning after their first year so i still cannot grasp how can it be. 

Also it shows the people like me (huge sides from fin, cant take it no matter what) still will face problems even we have solid HT results. 

57 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, MeetYourMaker said:

Wow, thanks so much Melvin, amazing content indeed. 

The patients i saw started thinning after their first year so i still cannot grasp how can it be. 

Also it shows the people like me (huge sides from fin, cant take it no matter what) still will face problems even we have solid HT results. 

Dr. Bisanga said it best “nothing is permanent, not even life” 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Also Dr. Bisanga, "If you can keep your hair transplant good for 10 years you should be happy".  And Dr. Wong, "Hair transplants absolutely do thin."  

I think thinning transplanted hair can happen even if the patient's donor region is healthy or if the patient is on fin, though it may be less likely.  Long term planning should account for this possibility. 

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

This is why I am emphatic about having one's donor zone microscopically examined because if the donor hair appears to be DHT receptive, that hair can be lost in the future.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

36 minutes ago, gillenator said:

This is why I am emphatic about having one's donor zone microscopically examined because if the donor hair appears to be DHT receptive, that hair can be lost in the future.

How does the microscope view confirm this?

45 minutes ago, Mark Wolfer said:

You'd be able to see miniaturization in the donor region (a sign that donor hair is DHT receptive) that might not otherwise be apparent to the naked eye.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

On 7/28/2021 at 7:37 PM, Mark Wolfer said:

Using a scope will discern if the donor hair has definite signs of miniaturization which confirms that the hair is DHT receptive and not suitable for transplantation.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Oops, sorry Aaron, I just saw that I basically repeated what you posted.

• Like 1

Gillenator