Ready for a hair transplant?

rebas7

Hi Everyone, 

Long time lurker here. This forum has helped me gain knowledge all things related to hair loss and I just wanted some opinions. 

I'm 27 years old - my hair started thinning at around the age of 23. I've been on 1mg/day finasteride since March 2020 and Rogain 1/day since March 2019. I'm consistent with my medication and I "think" i've stabilized. Typically i style my hair up in the front, comb the back over and i use some toppik to hide the thinning. I've been wanting to do surgery for a while now but im reluctant because of my age. Ive consulted with many doctors, all of whom said I'd be a good candidate (Dr. Feller, Dr. Diep, Dr. Rahal, Dr. Ferreria, Dr. Bisanga to name a few). 

My plan for hair transplant is to reinforce my hairline and add density from the front to midcrown. Do you think i'm too young or should i wait a few more years? Ideally, i'd like to have it done before my 30th birthday.

Keep up the good fight fellas!

Thanks.

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

@JohnAC71 thanks man. Its weird how everyone views their own hair differently. I know forsure im thinning, I just don't know when the best time to pull the trigger is. Maybe ill wait it out a bit longer. Appreciate you're feed back.

• Like 1

I strongly agree with @JohnAC71 and @makehairgreatagainand think your hair looks great at this time. I would continue medical therapy and see where you are when you're 30. 

• Like 3

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Valued Contributor

As above.

If you're concerned about the thinning, firstly try finasteride, minoxidil, fibres, buzzed down short (not all at once of course!)... Basically absolutely do all the essential basics first and treat a HT as a total last resort some way far down the line. You've got the luxury of a good head of hair that doesn't remotely require surgery and, with a little early intervention, may not ever require surgery, let alone surgery in the next few years!

• Like 1

@Dr. Suhail Khokhar Thanks for your feedback Dr. I just switched over to brand name propecia so i think im going through a shed at the moment. However, I plan on staying with the medication so we'll see how it plays out.

@Berba11 I've done all of the above separately and i'm at where I am today. HT is my last resort because there isn't any going back after that. I think i'm going to keep waiting it out.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
10 hours ago, rebas7 said:

@Dr. Suhail Khokhar Thanks for your feedback Dr. I just switched over to brand name propecia so i think im going through a shed at the moment. However, I plan on staying with the medication so we'll see how it plays out.

@Berba11 I've done all of the above separately and i'm at where I am today. HT is my last resort because there isn't any going back after that. I think i'm going to keep waiting it out.

Definitely wise I think!

• Like 1

Hey if you've decided already to get a hair transplant and you've had consultations with Hair transplant experts that think you are a good candidate and have mention to you on how many hair grafts you have available for future hair transplants, you should go through with it. The way i see it is if your 27 you may hold onto the rest of your hair for a very long time but thats not for me to say. id recommend seeing Dr Rahal, very professional, does great hairlines (Im proof of that), and should be able to map out a plan for you regarding your hair. Also check out my results. If you have any questions about my experience or about the quality of my hair transplant send me a message and i would be happy to talk! keep up with the treatment to, your hair looks great!

• Like 1

@Brandonatill thanks bro - im from Ontario too so Rahal was the first i consulted with a couple years ago. If my hair stays the same in the next couple years im gonna go through with it. I know its not that bad but i've always styled my hair - its a part of my identity at this point.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi Everyone, 

Figured I'd provide an update with my current hairloss situation. I've attached a photo comparing where i was back in March 2020 before starting finasteride to April 2022 after 2 years on the medication. The doctor I was seeing now says I no longer require surgery. 

Let me know what you guys think.

Preview attachment Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 09.59.59.png

Edited by rebas7

On 5/3/2022 at 10:17 AM, rebas7 said:

Hi Everyone, 

Figured I'd provide an update with my current hairloss situation. I've attached a photo comparing where i was back in March 2020 before starting finasteride to April 2022 after 2 years on the medication. The doctor I was seeing now says I no longer require surgery. 

Let me know what you guys think.

Preview attachment Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 09.59.59.png

Fantastic results from meds alone. Who was your doctor? (Assume it’s a ht physician)

@5BetaReductase I had seen a few over the years only because I was so stressed out about the situation when it first happened. Initially, I had consulted with Dr. Rahal, Dr. Bloxham, Dr. Diep, and Dr. Rassman. 

Dr. Bisanga was the one who I had my eye on for surgery and he was the one who said I don't need it anymore. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 5/3/2022 at 10:26 AM, rebas7 said:

How about now?

Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 09.59.59 (3).png

Wow this is a finasteride transformation??

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 5/3/2022 at 6:26 PM, rebas7 said:

How about now?

Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 09.59.59 (3).png

Great job man! 

That's an amazing recovery and 100% don't go for a hair transplant if you are happy with the aesthetic look of it now. 

One tip i can actually give you if you haven't actually incorporated it already is to start Microneedling with a derma pen once a week at 1mm to 1.5mm. It will really boost your results with the Minoxodil combination and on the day that you Microneedle, no need to use Minoxodil for 24hrs.

Because it's combed down, it's obviously hard to see the frontal hairline and whatnot but that's obviously entirely up to you to decide whether you're happy with where you're at now which honestly is an amazing recovery. Also, try add Nizoral with 2% ketoconazole. That should further help. 

Personally i'd say if you're now around 28, i would seriously hold off till you are even older if you're very much aesthetically happy with your hair. Maybe re-evaluate at 30 to see how things are staying. 

@Melvin- Moderator yes this is 2 years on 1mg finasteride every day. At that time I had been on minoxidil for 1 year and decided to add finasteride to the mix. So as of now its 2 years on finasteride and 3 years on minoxidil.

@NARMAK Thank you! I'm pretty happy with my hair currently so I'm going to hold off and reevaluate in my 30s. I typically style my hair up in the front and comb the back over so it looks good at the moment. I can post some photos of my hair styled if you want to see the hairline :).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rebas7 said:

@Melvin- Moderator yes this is 2 years on 1mg finasteride every day. At that time I had been on minoxidil for 1 year and decided to add finasteride to the mix. So as of now its 2 years on finasteride and 3 years on minoxidil.

@NARMAK Thank you! I'm pretty happy with my hair currently so I'm going to hold off and reevaluate in my 30s. I typically style my hair up in the front and comb the back over so it looks good at the moment. I can post some photos of my hair styled if you want to see the hairline :).

Yeah dude, 100% do post them. Would love to see it. 

You definitely will benefit imo from waiting and if you add Microneedling, i think it's also going to be a great booster alongside maybe adding the 2% ketoconazole Nizoral. 

The Minoxidil combo now is probably going to need to be indefinite but you responded amazing and a great example of how if it works well, that's the hyper response some can have and it's an ultimately knockout hair restoration. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, rebas7 said:

Damn one of the best medication transformations ive ever seen.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.