Best HT doctor in US for diffuse thinner

Hi,

I have been taking .25 mg of Finasteride for 6 months now. My hair loss has completely stabilized for the most part. I haven’t experienced any further hair loss since starting. I know I am young but I’m looking to go in for a hair transplant. I’m a diffuse thinner. I was wondering who would be the best doctor to operate on a diffuse thinner. I can post some pictures if needed. I know I’m young but I’d much rather have my hair now then later I think. If finasteride continues to work like it has now I think I’ll be okay in the future. I just need some advice here and I know many people are going to be like you’re way too young don’t do it. I understand all that. I think it’s time for me live stress free atleast in my 20s. I want that confidence I had when I had the full head of hair back. 

The question is not - who is the best.......It is far more complicated than that.  Glad to hear you are doing something to protect what you have.

If you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  That's a fact.  Finasteride, Rogaine, PRP and laser are the modalities we typically refer to when dealing with this debilitating condition.  Glad you are doing at least one.  It takes a full year to see what it will do.  Apparently you are experiencing retention.  If so, this will continue for as long as you stay on the med.  It takes a full year to see if you'll experience enhancement of the native hair.  My first suggestion is to wait.  I would also encourage you to add another modality to the mix.  

I have homework for you.  Go to the mall and look at the way males lose hair.  Typically they will keep some in the front, thin through the top and very thin in the crown.  That's a normal pattern.  Thus, if you were to add grafts, always consider the front first.  It is what you see when looking in the mirror.  It is also the area others see when they interact with you.  Once you are happy with the front, (provided you are enjoying retention from the med(s)), you can consider working farther back.  Leave the crown for last.  

It would be nice if you could post some photos.  particularly the front.  It will be interesting to see where on the forehead your hairline starts.  Photos of the donor are important as well. Are you experiencing diffused thinning in that area as well?

How do you know you are thinning diffusely through the pattern? Have you met with any doctors? What about family history of hair loss? Be specific.

• Thanks 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Administrators

What’s your age? Give the medication longer than 6 months before considering surgery.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, LaserCaps said:

The question is not - who is the best.......It is far more complicated than that.  Glad to hear you are doing something to protect what you have.

If you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  That's a fact.  Finasteride, Rogaine, PRP and laser are the modalities we typically refer to when dealing with this debilitating condition.  Glad you are doing at least one.  It takes a full year to see what it will do.  Apparently you are experiencing retention.  If so, this will continue for as long as you stay on the med.  It takes a full year to see if you'll experience enhancement of the native hair.  My first suggestion is to wait.  I would also encourage you to add another modality to the mix.  

I have homework for you.  Go to the mall and look at the way males lose hair.  Typically they will keep some in the front, thin through the top and very thin in the crown.  That's a normal pattern.  Thus, if you were to add grafts, always consider the front first.  It is what you see when looking in the mirror.  It is also the area others see when they interact with you.  Once you are happy with the front, (provided you are enjoying retention from the med(s)), you can consider working farther back.  Leave the crown for last.  

It would be nice if you could post some photos.  particularly the front.  It will be interesting to see where on the forehead your hairline starts.  Photos of the donor are important as well. Are you experiencing diffused thinning in that area as well?

How do you know you are thinning diffusely through the pattern? Have you met with any doctors? What about family history of hair loss? Be specific.

Hi, thank you for this through response. I really appreciate it. Right now I am only thinning in the front of my head. My temples have receded a bit. I have not met with any doctors because I don’t know who I would go to talk to about hair loss. I went once and they weren’t any help. My dad is completely bald so is my grandfather. Neither of them did anything to protect their hair. I’m not sure if it was because they didn’t care or there was not many resources open as there are now. I also try to add minoxidil to the mix. It gets difficult to keep up with it. I try to atleast apply once a day. My hair loss has stopped from what I’ve noticed and I’m only taking .25 mg Ed. I can’t go over that since I do have some mild side effects even on this dose. If you can guide me to a doctor who would be able to look at my diffuse thinning and give me an idea if there is level of recovery or if he can perform surgery on it. I don’t plan on going for surgery for atleast another 6 months. I just want to start looking so I have something lined up. I really would like to enjoy my 20s to the full extent. 

21 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

What’s your age? Give the medication longer than 6 months before considering surgery.

I’m 24 now. I’m going to continue the medication for another 6 months. I would like to have a doctor lined up so I could go in for surgery in case the native hairs don’t fully recover. If you have an idea of who I can see in the United States that would be great. Thank you for any and all advice!

Some of the images are of my hair when it’s wet. Let me know what you guys think. Also here is a link to pictures back in December. I really see no difference in my hair. I added donate ride to my regimen in February. Can you let me know if you see any type of improvement of difference. These pictures are about two months before starting finasteride.

Edited by Nickpatay12
Link

5 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

No harm in consulting with quite a few of them ! You can ask for their results for similar loss to yourself. 👌

Thank you. I will do that. I’m willing to fly anywhere in the states. Not worried about that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nickpatay12 said:

I think it’s time for me live stress free atleast in my 20s.

If you think a HT will give you a stress free life think again.  For example: 1) "Did all of my grafts yield?" 🤔 2) "Did my strip scar stretch?" 😕 3) "Did the doc over harvest my donor with the FUE extractions?" 😟 4) "Should I get another transplant?" 😳 5) "Is it my transplanted or native hair that is thinning?" 😫

• Like 2

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

4 minutes ago, aaron1234 said:

If you think a HT will give you a stress free life think again.  For example: 1) "Did all of my grafts yield?" 🤔 2) "Did my strip scar stretch?" 😕 3) "Did the doc over harvest my donor with the FUE extractions?" 😟 4) "Should I get another transplant?" 😳 5) "Is it my transplanted or native hair that is thinning?" 😫

All of this is totally spot on 👌😬

23 minutes ago, aaron1234 said:

Now you’re scaring me. Be honest how bad is my thinning. Do you think I’ll need lots of grafts ?

1 hour ago, Nickpatay12 said:

Now you’re scaring me. Be honest how bad is my thinning. Do you think I’ll need lots of grafts ?

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret my HT's one bit.  It just doesn't eliminate all insecurities, so don't go into it with that kind of expectation. With your level of loss at a young age be prepared for multiple surgeries to get to where you want to be.  I'd also be thinking max lifetime grafts (FUT+FUE).  I'd definitely consult with Hasson & Wong if I were you, among others. 

Edited by aaron1234

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

12 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret my HT's one bit.  It just doesn't eliminate all insecurities, so don't go into it with that kind of expectation. With your level of loss at a young age be prepared for multiple surgeries to get to where you want to be.  I'd also be thinking max lifetime grafts (FUT+FUE).  I'd definitely consult with Hasson & Wong if I were you, among others. 

So you think my loss is extensive? I’m hoping the fin lets me hold what I have for the long term. So from where I’m at you think it would take multiple surgeries to get to where I’m at. Or are you talking about lifetime thing ?

On 7/9/2021 at 8:02 AM, Nickpatay12 said:

So you think my loss is extensive? I’m hoping the fin lets me hold what I have for the long term. So from where I’m at you think it would take multiple surgeries to get to where I’m at. Or are you talking about lifetime thing ?

For 24, yes that's extensive loss.  Would need to see more clear photos of your crown but it appears there is some initial thinning going on there as well.  Good that you are fin.  You'll probably need multiple surgeries like many of us.  You'll get a HT and have momentary improvement but then continue to lose native hair so plan on playing catch up. 

On 7/9/2021 at 1:00 AM, Nickpatay12 said:

I think for 24, it would be accurate to label you as one the more aggressive hair loss sufferers, unfortunately . . however we have all seen a lot worse, so don't lose heart. 

Great that you are on medication, and hopefully it will continue to go well for you. I would stick it out, and potentially consider upping the dosage if you feel ok on it, and see how you get on for a further 6 months. 

Your native hair looks to be quite nice characteristic wise - which bodes well for future surgeries. 

You need to assess your family history, what your goals are, and arrange some in person consults with some fantastic surgeons that you are able to travel. 

Having only skim read your posts, I think you may have mentioned you want to stay in the US?  I am not as familiar with US docs as I am European docs, however I have seen some very nice diffuse loss cases performed by Dr Konior, and I believe his stick and place method is perfect for this type of surgery. 

Keep doing your research here and on other forums/youtube etc. . and don't get sucked into making any rash decisions. 

You are still young and have a lot of years left ahead of you . . so try to think as long term as possible. 

Good luck! 

You actually present with quite an interesting and unusual loss pattern - your temples seem to have maintained somewhat, however your frontal forelock and mid scalp area show the signs of the most extensive loss. May be more of a ludwig scale loss pattern. Again - all the more reason to book in for in person consults with top surgeons, and have an expert fully examine you. 

All the best 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 11:43 AM, Curious25 said:

You actually present with quite an interesting and unusual loss pattern - your temples seem to have maintained somewhat, however your frontal forelock and mid scalp area show the signs of the most extensive loss. May be more of a ludwig scale loss pattern. Again - all the more reason to book in for in person consults with top surgeons, and have an expert fully examine you. 

All the best 

Hey thanks for your help. I’ll consider going in for consultations. 

I don't see why you couldn't have 1500 FUE and look a lot better than you do now.

Maybe have a look at Dr Nadimi.  Probably cost close to 15G but will do a high quality job.

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

On 7/21/2021 at 2:17 PM, 1978matt said:

I don't see why you couldn't have 1500 FUE and look a lot better than you do now.

Maybe have a look at Dr Nadimi.  Probably cost close to 15G but will do a high quality job.

I’m actually going to do a consultation with her sometime next week. Is she as good as Raymond konior? Also I plan on taking propecia as long as possible. I think I’m ready for a hair transplant. She told me I’d need around 1500-2000 grafts but she would need to see in person. Any other doctors I should consult with? Who did you get your transplant from ? Thanks for the advice