Do I have any chance with hair transplants? Is there any hope for me? Also, would fin and min help me in any way?

IMG_20210525_210942.thumb.jpg.c4fb0005b828c4ce2670aef717184987.jpgIMG_20210525_210433.thumb.jpg.0eef65478e7431fb6d4b0b6da87d5b93.jpgIMG_20210525_210205.thumb.jpg.8df940d1708152c1229c1728b9bb0e8b.jpgIMG_20210525_210240.thumb.jpg.aab8ac1494d402497589bfcef2e3e087.jpgIMG_20210525_210011.thumb.jpg.2b77be560d4e6d604959c3862ea22afc.jpgIMG_20210525_205756.thumb.jpg.7e9340b6bf31b4c2852c59f8c6b002c5.jpgIMG_20210525_205851.thumb.jpg.6b1658e8d306367e2ad3878de526a811.jpgIMG_20210525_205841.thumb.jpg.3f81d3ab6f56f7d6306d2cf6b9ffe6d1.jpg

These are all the images I was able to take. Sorry for the bad quality. My question was is there any chance for me to gain an okay look with hair transplant. Is the surgery even possible in my case? I am very depressed about my current state and would give anything to look normal. Is finasteride and Minoxidil an option? Please help

IMG_20210525_210528.jpg

Fin/minox will help retain/maintain your existing hair yes. How old are you ? You should check out the forums recommended list:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

Get some virtual consultations done. It’s difficult to tell from your pics where your headed in terms of Norwood level. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Fin/minox will help retain/maintain your existing hair yes. How old are you ? You should check out the forums recommended list:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

Get some virtual consultations done. It’s difficult to tell from your pics where your headed in terms of Norwood level. 

I'm currently 21.I lost my hair at 16 though and it has been this way ever since. There has hardly been any more shedding since then and I am a bit positive that it is not going to shed any further because my dad has the same hairline. I am now thinking I'll get something done about this as soon as possible. But I'm not sure whether I would have enough donor hair for the procedure.

9 hours ago, HustlinToMakeItBig said:

I'm currently 21.I lost my hair at 16 though and it has been this way ever since. There has hardly been any more shedding since then and I am a bit positive that it is not going to shed any further because my dad has the same hairline. I am now thinking I'll get something done about this as soon as possible. But I'm not sure whether I would have enough donor hair for the procedure.

At 21, I wouldn't bet on anything. Dr Rassman says your balding pattern doesn't usually become apparent until your late 20s

Edited by deeznuts
  • Like 1

At your age you will definitely need to go on maintenance meds- finasteride is my first choice. If things preserve well, then chances of a successful transplant are really good judging by your hair characteristics. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2021 at 11:03 AM, DrTBarghouthi said:

At your age you will definitely need to go on maintenance meds- finasteride is my first choice. If things preserve well, then chances of a successful transplant are really good judging by your hair characteristics. 

I'll look into finasteride as you have advised. I'll also try consulting a doc as soon as possible for the same. I just hope things do preserve well at this point. I have been very concerned about this and would get on maintenance meds. I just hope a transplant is still on the table given my already damaged hair reserves.

• Like 1

• Moderators

You have long hair. Do you pull it back and tie it? Some of that side loss looks like it could be traction alopecia. If that's the case then if you stop pulling it back you may get some regrowth in those areas if you use minoxidil and start microneedling.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

1 hour ago, BeHappy said:

You have long hair. Do you pull it back and tie it? Some of that side loss looks like it could be traction alopecia. If that's the case then if you stop pulling it back you may get some regrowth in those areas if you use minoxidil and start microneedling.

Yeah I used to pull it back but I've stopped pulling it back and started topical Minoxidil. Have just started on it so can't say much about the results. I'm just hoping that things go okay from here on. At the back of mind I'm always worried about it though. 

• Administrators

Are you sikh? It looks a bit like traction alopecia. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 6/11/2021 at 7:19 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Are you sikh? It looks a bit like traction alopecia. 

Yes, I am. Is there any hope left for me? I've become really depressed over this and I don't really know what to do from here. I have started on Finasteride and Minoxidil but I don't know whether I have a chance with Hair Transplants. I want to know if there is any hope left for me, as I want to keep my hair open and I don't know whether transplant would be possible at my stage.

I think if you remain on Fin/minox and maintain your current hair you will be in a good position to consider a transplant in a few years time.

Ethical clinics/Drs will not consider a procedure until your around age 25. Which gives plenty of time for the med regime to work. And also gives you time to research a clinic suitable for your particular needs. You do have a lot of native hair and I do think in time you will be in a good position to have a transplant. It’s just going to take a while. 🙏

• Like 1

You are not the first Sikh to experience traction alopecia, and it has been successfully remedied before.  Hopefully you don't develop male-pattern baldness as well - if you do then it can be more challenging.  See what happens over the next few years while you're on meds, but HT's are definitely an option. 

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Valued Contributor
On 5/27/2021 at 6:48 PM, HustlinToMakeItBig said:

Traction Alopecia is very common in Sikh's. BE VERY CAREFUL! At 21 and wishing 'to do something about this ASAP' is a recipe for disaster. You are at a VERY GREAT RISK of walking into an Indian hair mill who will take advantage of your anxiety and con you into surgery just to make a few bucks and leaving you butchered for life in the process. By all means speak with your doctor about finasteride and minoxidil. As has been said any ethical doctor will not (and should not) touch you at 21. If you are able to post some more pics in better detail that would be great. Patience and research is key! All the best.

On 6/13/2021 at 10:26 PM, JohnAC71 said:

I think if you remain on Fin/minox and maintain your current hair you will be in a good position to consider a transplant in a few years time.

Ethical clinics/Drs will not consider a procedure until your around age 25. Which gives plenty of time for the med regime to work. And also gives you time to research a clinic suitable for your particular needs. You do have a lot of native hair and I do think in time you will be in a good position to have a transplant. It’s just going to take a while. 🙏

Yes sir.... I've been on Fin and Minox for over a week now... And surprisingly, I don't know whether I'm having placebo or what, but I'm seeing results. It is not supposed to happen but I'm seeing some small hairs on the top of my head where there was nothing. So I feel I'm definitely seeing some growth. But it's not supposed to happen till 2 months so I'm a bit skeptical of my own perception right now. As you said, there is plenty of time for the regime to work. And I feel highly grateful. Given that I feel the meds are working my panic is highly reduced. I also feel really relieved and thankful that I might be a candidate for transplant later down the line. Thank you so much for your input.

On 6/14/2021 at 1:51 AM, aaron1234 said:

You are not the first Sikh to experience traction alopecia, and it has been successfully remedied before.  Hopefully you don't develop male-pattern baldness as well - if you do then it can be more challenging.  See what happens over the next few years while you're on meds, but HT's are definitely an option. 

Thank you so much for your kind input :). My family doesn't really have a history of male pattern baldness except for traction alopecia. So I hope I don't fall into the pattern baldness category. Fingers crossed. It highly relieves me that HT's are an option later down the line. Thanks a lot!

On 6/14/2021 at 8:40 AM, Gatsby said:

Traction Alopecia is very common in Sikh's. BE VERY CAREFUL! At 21 and wishing 'to do something about this ASAP' is a recipe for disaster. You are at a VERY GREAT RISK of walking into an Indian hair mill who will take advantage of your anxiety and con you into surgery just to make a few bucks and leaving you butchered for life in the process. By all means speak with your doctor about finasteride and minoxidil. As has been said any ethical doctor will not (and should not) touch you at 21. If you are able to post some more pics in better detail that would be great. Patience and research is key! All the best.

Your input is very informative and very helpful to me kind sir. I highly thank you for it. I'll definitely keep all these things in mind and not fall into that trap. I'll try to keep my anxiety in control and not be coerced into anything. I would be willing to wait many more years rather than ruining my options for life, as you stated. I'll definitely keep this in mind. I've been speaking to my doctor about finasteride and Minoxidil and so far they seem to be working well, although it's making me a bit suspicious since they are not supposed to give such quick effects. Regardless, I'll be dropping the idea of transplants for at least a few years as I've been advised by many that before 25, it is a recipe for disaster. I'll try to post more pics as soon as I can, as it will give you a better idea. Thank you so much for your advice it is really helpful :)

• Moderators
3 hours ago, HustlinToMakeItBig said:

I'm seeing results. It is not supposed to happen but I'm seeing some small hairs on the top of my head where there was nothing. So I feel I'm definitely seeing some growth. But it's not supposed to happen till 2 months so I'm a bit skeptical of my own perception right now.

If your hair loss is from traction alopecia then you may get results faster. With MPB your body is fighting against you because it is trying to make the hair fall out and you are fighting to keep it, but with traction baldness your body isn't trying to make your hair fall out, so it can be easier to get some of it back if you are still young and haven't had the bald areas very long. The important thing is you need to stop doing whatever it was that was causing the traction loss.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.