Dr. Patrick Mwamba (Fue Clinic) - Over 9,000 grafts - 24th & 25th of May 2021

• Administrators

Eager to see your results flourish. Dr. Mwamba is definitely one of the best. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Day 18 and shedding still.... but you can't really tell still... I know I've asked but I've had about a million different answers.... and I've asked Dr but still waiting on a reply... is this hat OK to wear now it has been 18 days? 

16234943607492361852223436077099.jpg

On 6/10/2021 at 1:08 PM, Huncholini said:

totally agree, esp not after just 15 days, you might be sacrificing a very decent result for very short term superficial gain.

I have used fibers on all 12 transplants after 10 days and everything has grown.

If this would be the case then it would also damage existing native hair which it does not.

I am sorry but empirically and theoretically this makes absolutely no sense. Grafts get their oxygen from blood supply, not from the scalp.

Edited by mustang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2021 at 10:36 AM, Curious25 said:

Please don’t wear fibres dude , they can clog up pores and choke grafts when they are in their infancy and at their most delicate. I know it’s going to suck shedding , but you don’t want to ruin something with a short sited mindset ! 

It won't. This is simply not true.

Grafts do not get oxygen from pores in your skin. They get it from blood.  Grafts would choke with scabs otherwise and nothing would survive.

Let's not spread misinformation please.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For your peace of mind here is what Dr Rahal (top 5 FUE surgeon in the US says)

"After 2 weeks you may resume they use of fibers"

Here is what Dr Rasmann says

"Yes you can use Toppik on the transplanted area. However it has to be after a few weeks post op to make sure you have healed properly first."

Here is what Dr Jae Park says:

"In general, immediately following hair transplantation, the recipient site, or the place where the hair transplant follicular units are placed should be cleansed on a daily basis with gentle shampoo and care taken not to traumatize the hair grafts from achieving their blood supply. The use of camouflage products to hide the transplant area should be used with great caution in the first two weeks and I generally recommend patients wait till the scabs have come off and the follicular unit hair grafts have received a blood supply and some stable collagen production to close the slits in which they were placed. At that time, specifically two weeks, hair camouflage techniques such as fibres can be deployed. "

Basically the consensus is the same. Once the scabs are gone and it has healed you can use fibers. Usually all surgeons will tell you to wait 2 weeks.

I personally wait 10 days.

• Like 1

Agree with @mustang. Fibers or hats at this point will do no harm. Dr. Konior's post op literature actually suggests using Toppik (or any fiber enhancer) should be avoided until 4-7 days post-op. That's the most liberal guidelines I have seen but obviously if you've seen his results, his patients do pretty well. You're going to be shedding grafts for the next couple weeks. The only thing that could do harm at this point is a severe sunburn. So, wear a hat, use sunscreen, or better yet avoid the sun altogether, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

18 hours ago, mustang said:

It won't. This is simply not true.

Grafts do not get oxygen from pores in your skin. They get it from blood.  Grafts would choke with scabs otherwise and nothing would survive.

Let's not spread misinformation please.

I’ve not intended to spread misinformation at all - it is simply what I have picked up from doctors over the years via interviews or forum posts. The fact that dry scalp and dandruff is deemed a potential implicating factor to yielding poor results, is comparable to how fibres May act. 

All great guys, to be honest this has been very helpful for me so thanks to all...I mainly ask these popular questions so that others will see in the thread and find peace of mind ... which takes me to my other question, I started my normal workout routine again after day 14 ...what is everyone's opinions on this 

On 6/13/2021 at 8:05 AM, Curious25 said:

I’ve not intended to spread misinformation at all - it is simply what I have picked up from doctors over the years via interviews or forum posts. The fact that dry scalp and dandruff is deemed a potential implicating factor to yielding poor results, is comparable to how fibres May act. 

I understand and that is what I thought as well. Some doctors tell you no fibers for 6 months.

Dandruff or a dry scalp will also not have an impact on regrowth. I have scalp psoriasis with massive scabs that cover the entire transplanted area and everything grew

On 6/13/2021 at 2:54 PM, captaincalico said:

All great guys, to be honest this has been very helpful for me so thanks to all...I mainly ask these popular questions so that others will see in the thread and find peace of mind ... which takes me to my other question, I started my normal workout routine again after day 14 ...what is everyone's opinions on this 

No issue with this. Your ok to exercise after day 14 (maybe even day 10) it’s not like you had FUT which carrys a risk of scar stretching. 

• Thanks 1

Day 21, all is going as it should... hairs shedding alot now, wore my woolen hat to go bowling, it got a little itchy toward the end but nothing major.... ive attached a picture of my current state .... wondering what your opinions are on it... as far as the recipient area is concerned.... also I think the medication is starting to take effect

20210615_214458.jpg

On 6/14/2021 at 5:40 AM, mustang said:

I understand and that is what I thought as well. Some doctors tell you no fibers for 6 months.

Dandruff or a dry scalp will also not have an impact on regrowth. I have scalp psoriasis with massive scabs that cover the entire transplanted area and everything grew

@mustang did doctors prescribe you anything before or after surgery to control your psoriasis? How do you manage it long term?

16 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

@mustang did doctors prescribe you anything before or after surgery to control your psoriasis? How do you manage it long term?

I wiped out the existing acute stage with oral itraconazole. Nothing else worked

I wash my hair with cold water only (hot water or frequent washing will make it flare)

Topical Dutasteride helped a lot as well with Trichosol, I can feel my scalp less swollen due to less androgen activity 

I keep hydrated and take as much sun as possible

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mustang said:

I wiped out the existing acute stage with oral itraconazole. Nothing else worked

I wash my hair with cold water only (hot water or frequent washing will make it flare)

Topical Dutasteride helped a lot as well with Trichosol, I can feel my scalp less swollen due to less androgen activity 

I keep hydrated and take as much sun as possible

Sounds more like seb derm if oral itraconazole worked. Have you gotten diagnosed or has a skin biopsy to confirm psoriasis?