FUE combined with forehead reduction surgery. Genius idea, or folly?

I had a thought about this and began wondering why this isn't common practice. I've seen many saying that combining FUT and FUE is a good approach for maximal coverage, but I haven't seen anything regarding this idea. It seems like it should be a great idea since forehead reduction is pretty cheap relative to a hair transplant and it brings the hairline down, effectively accomplishing the same thing as a transplant for the hairline. Whereas I would guess an FUT actually raises the hairline, or best case is neutral to it. 

Do you mean hairline lowering surgery?

That's no good for most men as thinning would expose the scar.  I suppose FUEs could be put in front if things did receed back, but if that happens you may as well have just used FUEs to lower the hairline.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Valued Contributor

This is what is left behind from hair line strip surgery. I had half a dozen surgeries to remove 'punch grafts' that should never have been performed on an 18 year old 'teenager!' If you think balding is a painful process remember waking up in the mirror to a linear scar running across the top of your forehead is something else altogether!

DSCF0590.jpg

• Sad 1

• Valued Contributor
On 4/26/2021 at 8:24 AM, Neurd said:

I had a thought about this and began wondering why this isn't common practice. I've seen many saying that combining FUT and FUE is a good approach for maximal coverage, but I haven't seen anything regarding this idea. It seems like it should be a great idea since forehead reduction is pretty cheap relative to a hair transplant and it brings the hairline down, effectively accomplishing the same thing as a transplant for the hairline. Whereas I would guess an FUT actually raises the hairline, or best case is neutral to it. 

It's called a brow lift and has no place today in modern cosmetic surgery.

• Administrators

I don’t think a hairline reduction is good unless you’re a female born with a naturally high hairline.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I wouldnt recommend a forehead reduction at all on a virgin scalp unless you have ample stabilized hair behind the resection point.  If you lose more hair in future then it defeats the purpose.  

now, if you end up being damaged or destroyed by unethical frontal hairline grafting and surgery 2-3 times, like I have, then due to scar tissue, ridging, cobblestoning, etc, you may have to resect that frontal scar tissue out completely.  It will be like a forehead resection to get rid of badly worked and damaged tissue from previous transplant.   Each scenario has its own merits.  Best of luck.