Can Insane Mental Stress Affect Hair Transplant Results?

I got a HT October 20, 2020. So far its been growing in great. 2 weeks ago my boss put me on a 30 day Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) and without going into details I will 100% be fired at the end. From the moment I got put on the PIP 2 weeks ago, my mental health has totally nosedived. I am 100% stressed and super anxious, barely getting any sleep (I'd say 4-5 hours on average) and having 6-7 shots of espresso to compensate. I am stressed to the MAX. I am going to throw in the towel early tomorrow and get my boss to fire me so I can get unemployment (yay COVID for generous unemployment bennies and subsidized COBRA). I honestly hated this job and am glad to be able to devote all my time to a new better job, this PIP is just total agony. I wish my boss had just fired me right away instead of putting me on this legal song and dance.

Anyways, I am super concerned that the stress of the last 2 weeks can impact my hair transplant from October. I know high stress can cause hairloss, so I am super concerned. 

Do I have anything to honestly worry about? I am honestly sure once I am fired my stress will go away. I've honestly been wanting to get fired, its just the PIP hell is pure mental torture. Just concerned that the last 2 weeks of INTENSE STRESS, little sleep, anxiety, and so much anxiety could have adversely affected my HT

One thought I had is since the hair transplant is "strong" and from healthy donor areas, stress wouldn't affect it as much as native hair that is on its way out anyways. 

My HT was 1600 in the front and 400 in the back. The 1600 have been growing in. I'm not sure there has been any crown growth yet. I'm worried the stress will totally prevent the crown from growing. 

TLDR: Can 2 weeks of crazy stress adversely affect my HT? If I do lose native or transplant hair from this stress will it just be temporary loss?

Thanks. 

Edited by SadMan2021

HT being that long ago and a relatively short period of stress, even if it was pretty intense, any loss should be temporary, maybe some delayed growth.

Not so sure about your financial health though. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought you're only eligible for unemployment benefits if you lose your job for reasons that are out of your control, i.e. laid off. Trying to get fired or throwing in the towel early, aka quitting, could make you ineligible.

I'd look into your state laws etc before you show up in flipflops and sunglasses.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/unemployment-benefits-when-fired-32449.html

Can You Collect Unemployment If You Get Fired?

State law determines whether a fired employee can collect unemployment. Generally speaking, an employee who is fired for serious misconduct is ineligible for benefits, either entirely or for a certain period of time (often called a "disqualification period"). But the definition of misconduct varies from state to state.

In many states, an employee's misconduct has to be pretty bad to render the employee ineligible for unemployment benefits. An employee who is fired for being a poor fit for the job, lacking the necessary skills for the position, or failing to perform up to expected standards will likely be able to collect unemployment. But an employee who acts intentionally or recklessly against the employer's interests will likely be ineligible for unemployment benefits. Other states take a harder line, finding that employees who are fired for violating a workplace policy or rule won't be eligible for unemployment benefits, at least for a period of time.

Edited by ciaus

@ciaus I'm being fired for performance reasons. I'm pretty sure I would still qualify for unemployment. 

But yea kind of tricky to end the PIP early but make it a termination. I'm thinking of emailing HR something like "for the record I am not resigning, but I cannot complete the goals of the PIP..." and just leave it pretty open ended.

Do you think my hair will be totally unaffected by the stress? Or likely there could be some delayed growth? Even if its just temporary delayed its still really nerve-wracking to think about. 

You may temporarily see some extra hairs in the shower, but long term you'll be fine. And remember its normal to shed up to 100-150 hairs a day.  You're about a week shy of 6 months. The front generally comes in first and the fastest, alot of that should already be sprouting . Everybody complains about the crown results taking longer even when everything goes perfectly. Just focus on getting and doing your next job and the time will fly.

• Valued Contributor

I personally don't think that what you are going through will have any negative effects on your hair transplant. Wishing all the best with your transition from a bad job to a better one. Take care of yourself and all the best. Maybe speak with someone professionally if it begins to get too much.

• Administrators

Stress can certainly affect the growth, it can definitely delay it. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I think it possibly can.  It can definitely speed up loss of native hair, thats for sure (hairs that were going to eventually fall out anyways).

Look at Derek Chauvin, he's possibly looking at spending the rest of his life in jail, and look what it did to his hairloss in approximately one year

1_4965823.jpg?cache_timestamp=1591126572

16153088592018.png

Edited by Westview

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Westview said:

I think it possibly can.  It can definitely speed up loss of native hair, thats for sure (hairs that were going to eventually fall out anyways).

Look at Derek Chauvin, he's possibly looking at spending the rest of his lfie in jail, and look what it did to his hairloss in approximately one year

1_4965823.jpg?cache_timestamp=1591126572

16153088592018.png

Wow that’s pretty shocking, looks like it sped it up by years. It could also be that he doesn’t have access to fin and min.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

9 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Wow that’s pretty shocking, looks like it sped it up by years. It could also be that he doesn’t have access to fin and min.

I think even prisoners are allowed access to meds, but I could be wrong

Edited by Westview

6 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Stress can certainly affect the growth, it can definitely delay it. 

@Melvin-ModeratorTo clarify, realistically- do you think worst case is any growth is just delayed? Or could stress permanently stunt or destroy any of these baby grafts/follicles? And you think a few weeks of stress then a return to normal is still enough to cause this? Thanks.

Edited by SadMan2021

2 hours ago, Shifty said:

You think you have stress now? Wait till he doesn't fire you. 

Trust me I'm going to get fired....to be fair I literally have been on a full-fledged job search the last 3 months and my current job has taken a backseat. I honestly don't care that much about being unemployed, its more this PIP process is pure torture.

47 minutes ago, Westview said:

I think even prisoners are allowed access to meds, but I could be wrong

I'm not sure prisoners are allowed cosmetic medications. Maybe they would have access to Fin/Dut if they had a diagnosed prostate issue. 

Trans/Gender-Fluid prisoners can get access to their gender-medication, but again thats bc it is deemed a medical issue, not cosmetic. 

• Administrators

@SadMan2021

I totally get your frustration and stress, but we do have female members who could be offended by that comment. 

View my thread

Cuomo's NW2 also looks like it has progressed by quite a bit over the last month or so.

And I think he's probably under a lot of stress because of all the allegations against him

andrew-cuomo-sandra-lee.jpg?quality=80&s

Edited by Westview

17 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

@SadMan2021

I totally get your frustration and stress, but we do have female members who could be offended by that comment. 

sorry about that. I wasn't thinking. 

But yes @Melvin-Moderator can you clarify your first response? Do you think its realistic that this brief 2-3 week period of stress could have a negative outcome? 

Would it just be delayed growth, or could the stress cause some of these baby grafts/follicles to simply not grow? Does the fact that the HT was 6 months ago negate a lot of this? 

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

sorry about that. I wasn't thinking. 

But yes @Melvin-Moderator can you clarify your first response? Do you think its realistic that this brief 2-3 week period of stress could have a negative outcome? 

Would it just be delayed growth, or could the stress cause some of these baby grafts/follicles to simply not grow? Does the fact that the HT was 6 months ago negate a lot of this? 

I don't think it would stop growth, but I do think it could delay it. I also think it can result in telogen effluvium. Massive shedding, which could make it look like poor growth.

View my thread