Interesting way to conceal FUT scars when you buzz or shave

I came across this doing some research for smp. I'm looking to keep shaving even after lockdown, so I want a permanent solution. But for guys that want to occasionally buzz or shave this looks like its worth checking out. He uses a cheap grey eyebrow pencil you can get for a few dollars on amazon. Its like giving yourself temporary smp.

This may work even better for Caucasians/Asians with fair skin, since there is less contrast between the scar and surrounding skin than with darker skinned guys.

• Administrators

I feel like this might be even better 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I looked that guy's thread over, so he only had FUE. And then he got a haircut where he buzzed a line around his head like an FUT scar. LOL I would agree that's another interesting way, letting your sides grow out a little and shaving lines into it. Though that approach would probably be harder for guys that are trying to rock a more traditional or conservative look. 

Looks great on pro athletes but I agree that us older guys, plus 60's, it would not look right!...😬

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I don't get it? He had FUE not FUT? And what did he do to conceal exactly?

Or are you just highlighting a good result?

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, tripleg said:

I don't get it? He had FUE not FUT? And what did he do to conceal exactly?

Or are you just highlighting a good result?

No, I brought it up because the way he cut his hair could be used to conceal an FUT

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

24 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

No, I brought it up because the way he cut his hair could be used to conceal an FUT

Can you explain exactly how he cut it? I didn't see an explanation in the original thread? 

Is the idea to grow it a bit longer above the FUT scar and let the hair grow down and cover it, and then have it cut shorter below the scar?

Edited by tripleg

I actually did this on my last FUE for the first 3 or 4 weeks post op. 

It does work ok but tricky to find the right shade depending on hair colour.  If it's too dark it stands out.  Better to go lighter and kind of blend it in above and below the scar.

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Moderators

I mentioned on this forum quite a while ago that I used a girlfriends eyeliner pencil to cover my FUT scars and it was easier than using the Dermatch that I had. I didn't color it in the way this guy is doing it in his video though because I keep my hair much longer. I was drawing lots of downward lines trying to match the flow of my hair, so it would blend in and look like combed hair. I said before I think the method would work really well with depleted looking FUE areas if you just draw a lot of dots or do it the way I did if you are keeping your hair long to try to cover the area, but it still looks thin and see through.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.