Higher Norwood’s

Hey guys. 
Has anyone here got a hair transplant just in the frontal half of their scalp and left the back half untreated? Would you say the use of concealer in the back half makes getting a hair transplant in the front worth it? If it doesn’t look that bad then i can see it being better then a shaved head..I know this is a subjective question as everyone’s level of satisfaction is different. But I’m preparing for the worst and expecting my crown to open up to a nw6 in the future. I plan on doing my frontal third but just trying to see what it’ll look like once the rest of my hair falls. Sharing photos of pulled off hairstyles for a thin/bald crown would be helpful.

thanks guys

• Like 1

How is you hair at present ? Are you able to post some pics ? I would be flat out Norwood 6 without my x5 hts. Crown coverage came along later for me as I wanted the frontal third completed first. 
As you say it does depend on personal choice. I think it also depends on age. I have seen quite a lot of cases on the forum where guys have pretty much left the crown alone and concentrated on framing the face. 

My hair is currently a diffused nw 4 ish. Very much like @hairlossPAprior to his fin use. But I know after a frontal third surgery of 2500 grafts  will frame my face and I’ll look good for a handful of years. But when that back half goes... there’s my concern. I’ve heard doctors say you can obtain full coverage but I’m preparing for the worst

Just now, James C said:

My hair is currently a diffused nw 4 ish. Very much like @hairlossPAprior to his fin use. But I know after a frontal third surgery of 2500 grafts  will frame my face and I’ll look good for a handful of years. But when that back half goes... there’s my concern. I’ve heard doctors say you can obtain full coverage but I’m preparing for the worst

@JohnAC71

If your on meds to retain and currently Norwood 4 then your in a very good position to get the front done. And you would have enough donor left in the back if you ever wanted/needed the crown doing. Most people have say at least 6000-7000 grafts on average. More if you start out with FUT

2 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

If your on meds to retain and currently Norwood 4 then your in a very good position to get the front done. And you would have enough donor left in the back if you ever wanted/needed the crown doing. Most people have say at least 6000-7000 grafts on average. More if you start out with FUT

yeah i know i can get the frontal third done now and look great, but once i hit 35 (29 now) i can see my mid scalp and crown getting real light. I also see my crown dipping and rounding off when my hair is cut shorter which indicates nw 6, so that also concerns me in regards to having enough donor hair. A reputable surgeon examined my hair and said i have great donor and 6k grafts would be enough to cover the hairline to crown. Not including the dip though. (I also have a good beard) That’s why i was wondering how it looks if you do surgery say 3/4 of the head and left the crown thin.  I know @Melvin-Moderatorsports a slick back with concealer in the crown which looks phenomenal on him. 

It does look really good on him. Like myself he isn’t on fin either. But I do know he plans to have a pass at the crown at some point. 
I always planned for multiple hts. It was the mid section I left light, I intend on fixing it with some BHT. 
If you have a good beard then I think even hitting a 6 In the future you can still get good coverage. Maybe similar to Melvin since he is considering using some of his awesome Beard for his next ht

Was that 6k for FUT/FUE or was that just for FUE ? If you have a good beard that’s usually about another 1500-2000 grafts. 

Edited by JohnAC71

7 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

It does look really good on him. Like myself he isn’t on fin either. But I do know he plans to have a pass at the crown at some point. 
I always planned for multiple hts. It was the mid section I left light, I intend on fixing it with some BHT. 
If you have a good beard then I think even hitting a 6 In the future you can still get good coverage. Maybe similar to Melvin since he is considering using some of his awesome Beard for his next ht

Was that 6k for FUT/FUE or was that just for FUE ? If you have a good beard that’s usually about another 1500-2000 grafts. 

That 6k was for fut & fue combined. Including Two strips.  I also don’t plan on taking oral fin. So I’m ready for multiple surgeries if need be. If my crown wasn’t dipping then i feel the decision would be a no brainer to begin surgery.

• Moderators

I always say it depends on whether you are OK shaving your head or not. If you are the type of man who just doesn't like a shaved head on yourself then the answer is yes the transplanted frontal half will look better than not transplanting the frontal half. If you are OK with shaving your head if you have to, but would much rather have hair then it gets much harder to decide. I tried to find a few NW 6 transplant patients who only had the frontal area done. I'm posting the links below. I tried to find some from a range of different Drs

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

It all comes down to personal preference. Me personally, having a bald spot on my crown bothered me way worse than a receding hairline. Others feel the opposite. 

I personally don’t like the look of a full head of hair in the front with a bald spot in the back. See Joe Biden as an example. But a full crown and a receding and thinning hairline looks better to me. But again that is all personal preference. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I always say it depends on whether you are OK shaving your head or not. If you are the type of man who just doesn't like a shaved head on yourself then the answer is yes the transplanted frontal half will look better than not transplanting the frontal half. If you are OK with shaving your head if you have to, but would much rather have hair then it gets much harder to decide. I tried to find a few NW 6 transplant patients who only had the frontal area done. I'm posting the links below. I tried to find some from a range of different Drs

Thank you for these. A few of these examples were able to obtain some light crown coverage, which I’d be okay with. The use of concealers back there makes it much easier when there’s Atleast some hairs to grab onto. Not the end of the world. I would say in order this is what I’d rather accept. 
1. Strong frontal half, acceptable thin back half & crown.

2. a shaved head

3. a strong  frontal half with a completely bald crown. 

with 6-7k scalp grafts and the potential use of my beard grafts I’m hoping option 1 is possible. But unfortunately even with how advanced today’s hair restoration is, a majority of surgeons still don’t want to guarantee anything because you can’t predict your final balding pattern. Which ultimately leaves patients rolling the dice. So that’s why I’m basically accepting to potentially have an open crown in a worst scenario and trying to see how it actually looks on people.

Edited by James C

On 3/14/2021 at 10:02 AM, BeHappy said:

Good examples....a lot of these had a lighter crown. I like the look of a lighter graded density throughout such as the Farjo example above rather than a relatively dense frontal 3rd and a bare crown (that could expand). As someone who is pushing 50 this is age appropriate and will become more so as time goes on. I think this is important for a younger person to realize that the decisions they are making are for life.

If the resources are there to do a relatively dense frontal 3rd and then a 2nd and/or 3rd pass for the mid-scalp and crown, then that is optimal.

• Administrators
On 3/14/2021 at 10:38 AM, EvoXOhio said:

It all comes down to personal preference. Me personally, having a bald spot on my crown bothered me way worse than a receding hairline. Others feel the opposite. 

I personally don’t like the look of a full head of hair in the front with a bald spot in the back. See Joe Biden as an example. But a full crown and a receding and thinning hairline looks better to me. But again that is all personal preference. 

I wasn’t literally going to pin you haha. 

I have a pretty bald/ish crown. I have had about 700 grafts to the crown which don’t really make a difference, but does help anchor the hair when I comb it back. It also does help with concealer. Here’s a picture of how I looked before getting any hair in the crown and before I used concealer. Not ideal but better than bald.

FBEC1BE9-A7CE-438C-9B2D-40D431C2F0DF.jpeg

6A86000D-8314-48BD-879D-D385762CB11B.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I have a pretty bald/ish crown. I have had about 700 grafts to the crown which don’t really make a difference, but does help anchor the hair when I comb it back. It also does help with concealer. Here’s a picture of how I looked before getting any hair in the crown and before I used concealer. Not ideal but better than bald.

I don’t understand the “pin you” comment unless you’re challenging me to a wrestling match? 😂

To me your crown looks perfectly normal, as if you’re a guy who had a full head of hair but then started to thin in the crown. What I don’t like is when people have a restored hairline and thick looking mid scalp, then a completely bald crown. Like our president has. 

Edited by EvoXOhio

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

I don’t understand the “pin you” comment unless you’re challenging me to a wrestling match? 😂

To me your crown looks perfectly normal, as if you’re a guy who had a full head of hair but then started to thin in the crown. What I don’t like is when people have a restored hairline and thick looking mid scalp, then a completely bald crown. Like our president has. 

Lol meant ping as in tag you haha

Yea, Biden was a posterchild for a bad HT.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I agree with @EvoXOhio, @Melvin-Moderatorthat your crown looks as if it has started to thin, but that's it. 

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Lol meant ping as in tag you haha

Yea, Biden was a posterchild for a bad HT.

Oh haha ok better that then a fight 😂

but now I’m following, you didn’t want to show my chunko graphs 😑